[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's wrong with having a kickstand? Why would you willingly
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /n/ - Transportation

Thread replies: 133
Thread images: 16
File: Integrated_kickstand.jpg (435 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
Integrated_kickstand.jpg
435 KB, 1600x1200
What's wrong with having a kickstand?

Why would you willingly lean your bike up against random precarious shit as opposed to just standing it up wherever you want?
>>
>>973630

ride harder
>>
gtfo of /n/
>>
>>973635
>>973637
So you have no actual reasons?

Just wanted to confirm. Thanks.
>>
For a road/moutain bike only used for leisure and not commuting there is no need for a kickstand.
>>
>>973643
>take mountain bike to the woods
>get off bike
>put it on the ground because some autistic faggot said i didnt need a kickstand
>>
I don't get off my bike. Plus they often rattle around and deploy themselves while you're riding. Also they're ugly.
>>
>>973649
Are you posting from atop your bike right now?
>>
File: zxcIMG_9887-X2.jpg (287 KB, 1280x914) Image search: [Google]
zxcIMG_9887-X2.jpg
287 KB, 1280x914
>>973630
>What's wrong with having a kickstand?

why not carry a 3lb ursus jumbo kickstand? I mean, are you seriously going to precariously balance your bike on a single kickstand leg? Wtf?
>>
>>973649
Can't stop, don't want to.

>often rattle around
Eh, true enough.

>and deploy themselves
Complete and utter bullshit perpetuated by ignorant elitists sunday cyclists who've never actually had a bike with a kickstand, in an attempt to rationalize their faggotry instincts.
>>
>>973657
Youre arguing for kickstands, not against them. Thanks.
>>
>>973654
If you never get on a bike then you never get off it either, faggot
>>973639
The actual reason is that you're a fucking fucktarded retard if you would even entertain the idea of a kickstand so there's literally no reason for me to explain why you shouldn't use one
>>
>>973665
Great reasons
>>
>>973647
>lay bike down in clearing in the woods
>bike is now ruined
you're retarded and a fred
>>
Kickstands suck off road. One road most of the time when you get off the bike you'll be locking it up at a stand.
>>
>>973693
Why do they suck off road?

And what if there isnt something traditional to lock it to? What if you arent locking it at all, just want to set it in a driveway or something?

What is the point of relying on "most of the time" there being something to lean your bike on instead of installing a completely innocuous metal rod to lean it on "all the time"?
>>
>>973688
>something doesnt completely ruin your bike therefore you should do it instead of just getting a fucking kickstand

You guys are serious retards
>>
I often ride with my dad and hes that guy who thinks that having a kickstand will add 30 kilos to the bike and make him unable to climb a hill.

Meanwhile I am already sipping on an iced tea in the shade while he still looking for a safe thing to lean the bike on. It ends up falling 50% of the time anyway.

I never had a kickstand deployed over 6 years, just dont buy the cheapest fucking thing you can find. Its a rear triangle stand and I even use it with full pannier bags on the rack, still works normal.
>>
>>973630
Nothing wrong with a kickstand on your commuter bike. No one cares about those though.
>>
>>973661
I've had to talk to plenty of people who I've spotted riding with the kickstand down, of course they're always clueless casuals who probably didn't tighten it up properly or something, but it'd still be a concern.
>>973654
I meant mid-ride.
>>
>>973696
>Why do they suck off road?
Because you need to find a level and hard surface.

>And what if there isnt something traditional to lock it to?
Not sure what you're trying to say here. There's almost always something to lock it to and lean it up against. If there's nothing to lock it to then I see no advantage to having a kickstand.

> What if you arent locking it at all, just want to set it in a driveway or something?
Then lay it down on the ground.

>instead of installing a completely innocuous metal rod to lean it on "all the time"?
More weight, more money, looks bad, usually rattles about.

If you like kickstands that's cool, but the rest of us are completely fine with resting our bikes against something or laying them on the ground.
>>
>>973708
>the rest of us are completely fine with resting our bikes against something or laying them on the ground.
One of my bikes looked great after 10 years of main transportation vehicle. Then the kickstand broke, so i removed it, and 2 weeks later the frame looked like shit.
>>
>>973708
>willingly laying your bike on the ground

Why would anyone do this
>>
>>973698
Sorry but your dad sounds incredibly stupid
You make it seem like leaning your bike against something was a difficult and delicate activity
>>
>>973661
they DO deploy themselves if they are not set up correctly. its a simple mechanism based on friction, and if i jump a curb hard enough, or hit an unpainted speedbump...

i used to have a kickstand with a safety kick-lever on it to reduce chance of accidental deploy but my dumbass friends cant into life due to being spoonfed by tv, phones, and school system, they fuckin keep kicking the thing "HEY MAN UR KICKSTANDS HARD TO KICK DOWN -break HEY MAN UR KICKSTAND SUKX IT DOESNT KEEP UR BIKE UP"

i ride without kickstands now i also ride without friends now.
>>
>>973718
Then be more careful leaning your bike up against stuff, or just lay it down like said. You could also get a clear protector for the top tube.

>>973720
What's wrong with that?
>>
>>973718
>leaning your FRAME against something
Full retard, but what can you expect from a kickstandfag.
>>
>>973706
>>973724
If you guys say so; but man, what kind of shitty kickstands do you have in america?
Sweden is like kickstand central. Everyone has a bike and every bike has a kickstand, and i've never ever seen or heard of a case of kickstand self deploying. Not even the shittiest of shitty kickstands i have encountered has seemed to be even remotely in danger of deploying itself. Not being able to keep the bike up, sure, but not self deploying. Not even my kickstand that broke and rattled around like a hell demon with tuberculosis in a tin can and rubbed against the crank arm ever deployed itself, and i rode that bike over potholes, speed bumps, curbs, and also took it off road over rock and root gardens.

>>973726
>Then be more careful
Too late. I've been riding kickstand-less for another half a decade since then.
>>
>>973728
You should have seen the corners of my saddle.
>>
>>973724
>they do deploy themselves if they are not set up correctly

In other words youre too stupid to use a kickstand? Thats not an argument against them - any component of a bike will be ineffective if you "dont use it properly."

>>973726
>be more careful leaning your bike against stuff

As i said upthread, sometimes the options are limited. Why not just get a kickstand instead of hoping theres a nice place to set your bike on the ground like a toddler?
>>
>>973748
>As i said upthread, sometimes the options are limited.
It's not about options, it's about being careful. You gently lean the bike against the object, not just slam it into it. It doesn't even need to be the frame, it could be the seat or handle bar. If you have a jacket you can place it between the frame and object or get a clear protector like I said.

>hoping theres a nice place to set your bike on the ground like a toddler
There almost always is, I've never been in the situation where I couldn't just lay my bike down or lean it against something.
>>
>>973753
Why let your seat touch a tree when you could just lrt the kickstand touch the road?

Why do you keep pretending that objectively inferior options like precariously balancing your bike against a road sign or laying it on the ground like a kid are acceptable? Just shut up already.
>>
>>973759
>precariously balancing your bike
Why do you keep pretending it's some amazing feat to lean your bike against something?
>laying it on the ground like a kid
Why do you keep implying laying your bike on the ground is childish? You know what's childish to me? Having to add a little stick on the bottom of your bike because you're too fucking dumb to lean your bike against something without dropping or scuffing it.
>>
It's like installing a quick release with the lever on the right-hand side. You just don't do it, senpai.

Any half-decent road bike is engineered enough for performance that putting a good place for a kickstand on the frame is an undesirable design constraint.

Any half-decent mountain bike or cyclocross bike is for use in places where kickstands are impractical.

Touring rigs are too loaded with shit for most kickstands to be reliable, and too loaded with shit for cramming on yet more shit like a heavy-duty kickstand to be desirable.

Commuters must be locked up to heavy objects anyway. Kickstands are pointless.

Yes, you may put a kickstand on your casual shit-around-town bike. That's what kickstands are for. Casual use.
>>
Muh grams and muh aesthetics. Also, it's pretty pointless.
>>
I don't have one on my mtb and I would never put one on it. Same for a road bike, as it's just extra weight. Maybe for a daily commuter, but a daily commuter will be chained to stuff 99.9% of the time I'm not riding it so I'd rather not add the extra weight, considering I'll be carring like 6kg's of chain and u-lock.

>>973647
A kickstand is just a lot of extra weight and shit that can get stuck on stuff. A MTB should not fear being laid down in the grass, even on the drive side, or it's no MTB.
>>
>>973647
>take mountain bike to the woods
>get off bike
>put it on the ground because couldn't find a tree to lean it against
>>
The /n/ fashion police strike again.
>>
Kickstands are useless weight when you dgaf if the bike gets scratched.

if your bike isn't scratched up, you are kinda lame

carbon bikes excused from this statement of course, but one reason I avoid carbon.. I don't want to be delicate with my bikes
>>
>>973769
Bikes can roll easier when leaned up against something than when on a kickstand.
>some moron slightly bumps into your bike
>big gust of wind blows your bike over
Why set yourself up for these incidents when you could just put a stand on your bike? Are you too cool?
>>
>>973630

Idk OP. I have a kick stand and it hasn't stopped me from climbing hills or interfered on off road trails or ever deployed itself while riding.
>>
>>973841
Rubber band on brake lever
>>
>>973841
It's simply not that big a deal. It's like saying "you can easily dent your top tube if your bars rotate fast enough and smack it, why set yourself up for this incident when you could just put a top tube protector"? Because it's very, very hardly ever an issue.
>>
>>973773
best post
>>
>>973777
>a lot of extra weight
You need to get that hyperbole of yours under control, buddy.
>>
>>973724
Never in my life have I seen a kickstand deploy on its own.
>>
>>973873

A typical kickstand weighs somewhere between a pound and a half and three pounds. It's a fucking LOT of weight.
>>
>>973630
nothing wrong besides that a centerstand is even better.
btw...
Your pictured bike has 3 accidents waiting to happen.

Performance is a function of maintainance...
>>
>>973630
Because if something catches on it while you're moving and it swings down, you'll crash. Also, it's extra weight that does nothing to improve the performance of the bike while you're riding it, it's merely a convenience. That's why you only find them on kids bikes and city bikes and the like, not on high performance bikes.
>>
My kickstand got stuck on my pedal and I almost got hit by a car and died
>>
File: stand4.jpg (1 MB, 1440x1080) Image search: [Google]
stand4.jpg
1 MB, 1440x1080
Christ the idiocy in this thread. Pretty sure I'm just feeding a troll, but what the hell, this is 4chan - that's what we do.

>>973647
If I recall from my schoolchild days, kickstands were pretty fuckin' useless when I took my "mountain bike" out "into the woods". The tip of the kickstand just sank into the dirt most of the time and bike tipped over.

I can't imagine having a kickstand on my mountain bike nowadays. I'd worry about it flopping around while descending fast over rough stuff, and it's completely unnecessary deadweight - if I want to stop for a while, there's always plenty of stuff to lean the bike against, and if there's not, well, the bike is already covered in mud - carefully laying it on the ground isn't going to hurt anything; I'm going to wash it when I get home anyway.

>>973696
>what if I just want to leave my bike where it's going to get stolen

And I don't have a kickstand on my road bike, because I never need it. Any decent bike rack that I'm locking to will hold the bike up just fine; a kickstand would just get in the way if I tried to use it. I've never, ever, ever had trouble finding something to lean it on temporarily, and it never stands for an extended period if it's not locked up.

The only exception is my touring bike, which is unwieldy enough when fully loaded that it's actually difficult to lean on things. I tried a Pletscher dual-leg stand for a while, but with front panniers, the front end could flop and the bike would still tip over. So now I have a dual-stand setup with one at the rear and one on the front rack, kind of like the picture (not my bike), and it works really well.

But if you're not doing heavy touring, a kickstand on your bike is basically THE defining sign of a casualfag - at least in the USA.

>>973639
>>973647
>>973696
>>973697
>>973718
>>973748
>>973759
>>973841
>>973873
All this fucking faggotry
>>
>>973630
>stopping

i kekked
>>
>>973649
>Also they're ugly.

I bet you're the same imbecile who goes on fixed gear threads and complain that they're just a fashions statement
>>
>>973773
>Touring rigs are too loaded with shit for most kickstands to be reliable, and too loaded with shit for cramming on yet more shit like a heavy-duty kickstand to be desirable.

You obviously have no experience with loaded touring. A kickstand is a necessity to actually load your bike/put the panniers on the rack.

It is a nuisance and idiotic to do it without one.

> for casuals

No, for people with other needs than you.
>>
File: we have a winneer.gif (2 MB, 375x211) Image search: [Google]
we have a winneer.gif
2 MB, 375x211
>>973908
>But if you're not doing heavy touring, a kickstand on your bike is basically THE defining sign of a casualfag - at least in the USA.
i see your point, i have a grocery bike i have the same problem with the kickstand ... but because i'm a cheap fuck and got the most inexpensive kickstand i could find
>>
>>973880
Lies. The first kickstand i found weighs 8 oz.

https://www.rei.com/product/612109/greenfield-kickstand?cm_mmc=cse_PLA_GOOG-_-6121090010&CAWELAID=120217890000778157&cm_mmc=cse_PLA_GOOG&gclid=CJnEpverzc0CFQkwaQodlmYDhw

Can your pussy legs handle that you flaming faggot?
>>
>>973924
Nope, nice try.
>>
>>973630

They aren't made from crabon fiber and arent (yet) operated from STI brifters
>>
>>973630
Muh grams.
I got a used bike that had one.
It came loose while riding over some bumpy ground.
Just one more thing to break.
>>
>>973980
>i bought a negelcted piece of shit bike that i was too lazy to maintain so i'm blaming the kickstand

Classic. If you bought a used bike with failing brakes would you take them off and say people shouldn't have brakes?
>>
>>973971
I can't wait until the industry starts hyping electronically actuated hydraulic kickstands as the cool new thing.
>>
File: strawman.jpg (95 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
strawman.jpg
95 KB, 500x375
>>973984
>>i bought a negelcted piece of shit bike that i was too lazy to maintain so i'm blaming the kickstand
>>
>>973880
You probably weight at least 200 pounds, so one more isn't going to make a difference.

If you're looking to cut weight, start with yourself. ;^)
>>
>>974004
It's not a strawman, he literally claimed to have bought a used bike where the kickstand came loose (an issue of literally not tightening a screw) and proceeded to blame the kickstand.
>>
File: 1440378543290.jpg (51 KB, 400x509) Image search: [Google]
1440378543290.jpg
51 KB, 400x509
>>974019
>It's not a strawman,
Sure it is. The bike I bought wasn't "neglected", the kickstand was loose. I've had no other maintenance related issues with it.
It isn't a "piece of shit" either, Trek 90's hard-tail mountain bike.
I'm not "too lazy to maintain" it, I do regular maintenance on all my bikes.
And if I'm "blaming the kickstand", what am I blaming it for?

Truth is, it's one more part, one more thing to go wrong.
Unless it has some compensating benefit, it's gotta go.
And no, kickstands just don't have enough benefit to justify their existence in most people's eyes.
>>
>>974067
>im not blaming yhe kickstand

In a thread about the merits of kickstands, you posted an anecdote about your kickstand becoming loose and referred to it as "just one more thing to break."

Fact remains, had you tightened a screw on your kickstand, that wouldnt have happened. It'd be like saying people shouldn't buy pedals because you wore out your own pedal bearings. Stupid.
>>
OP here

So far the only arguments against kickstands ive seen are:

>muh weight
>"ugly"
>phantom deployment
>wear and tear

So...as long as i can handle an extra 8 oz of weight on my bike, don't care what stylefags think, am not scared of a ghost kicking it down while i ride, and can handle maintaining a kickstand, i'm in the clear?

Thanks for participating. This has been a very enlightening thread.
>>
>>974121
You forgot the rattling and the virtual uselessness
>>
>>974121
Another reason, my frame can't take one as far as I know. It doesn't have the flat plate behind the bottom bracket (a lot of modern frame as like this) and it has the rear disc brake caliper on the inside between the chainstay and seatstay.
>>
>>974123
>rattling
Not the kickstand's fault you can't tighten a screw :^)

>uselessness
A relative term, to be sure.

Anything else?
>>
>>974129
No, you can go on feeling superior with your useless piece of metal, silly caratposter.
>>
File: 20160524_073722-1.jpg (1 MB, 2981x1677) Image search: [Google]
20160524_073722-1.jpg
1 MB, 2981x1677
This is why. That shit would be rattling around alot
>>
File: dh bars are comfy.png (1 MB, 1423x801) Image search: [Google]
dh bars are comfy.png
1 MB, 1423x801
>>973654
Fuck yeah bruh
>>
>>973777
>I'd rather not add the extra weight, considering I'll be carring like 6kg's of chain and u-lock.

This is how we can all tell how much of a pussy you are.
>>
>>973989

As retarded as that sounds, I'd probably get one because it would be funny as hell. Especially if you wire it to play sound effects when it deploys.
>>
>>974121
>>974129
It's clear that you don't give a shit, so quit bothering us and go enjoy your dorkitude in peace.
>>
>>974321
You're the one who bumped the thread :^)
>>
>>973630
I've put a kickstand on every bike I've owned and never regretted one of them.

I use them constantly. Where I am, you always park your bike with it's kickstand, even at home in a bike shed.
>>
>>974444
Let me guess:
The Netherlands or Sweden?
>>
>>974462
Not that guy but in Germany we do it as well and virtually every bike that is not a roa bike has a kickstand (frames are designed to take a kickstand so there is no damage issue and no rattling issue).

Maybe it is because in many European countries bikes are seen as a real alternative to cars and we just want them to be practical.

It seems to me in the US there are mainly roadies and casuals.
>>
>>974481
There's just no reason I could use a kickstand.
Either I'm home, and I can put her where ever I want, or if I'm leaving it for any amount of time, since there's no respect for bicycles here, I must lock it up, and in that case the lock would keep it upright. (If I can even find something to lock it to, after we slapped 'Hey retarded drivers please don't hit this' concrete tubes around every fucking pole in the parking lot.)

Literally the only time a kickstand would be useful is if you having a rest in a field, frockling with friends or some stupid shit.
>>
>>974484
Truly, you don't know the joys of being able to stand your bike up wherever, whenever.
It's as if you can't even fathom it.
>>
>>974487
Hello, friend.
Did you read a single word I read?

Unless you're in one very specific circumstance; needing to leave your bike for a moment in an area where you're sure it won't be stolen because your're keeping an eye on it, a kickstand will not help you.
Because it's a rare and singular instance, it's not gonna hurt you to just lean it on something instead.
>>
>>974490
The point is that you don't know that you don't know the joys yet; only when you try it out for a while will you understand what you were missing.

I'm not that anon and I'm not necessarily agreeing with either party but that's the point that is being made.
>>
>>974492
Yes, I've never had a fucking kickstand
>>
>>974481
>>974484
I think this is the main cause for the americans disdain for kickstans. Americans don't know what a frame lock is. In europe this is the standard way to park your bike. You deploy the kickstand lock up your rear wheel and you're done. Apparently if you tried this in america (or london) your bike is gone as soon as you turn your back.
>>
>>974524
Yeah, somebody would just come and pop that shit in their car and haul it away.
>>
>>974490
Perhaps if you had any friends that "one type of instance" would happen to you more often.

Sorry about your life
>>
>>974537
You lot sit in corn fields all day?
No thanks.

Be careful, someone might steal your bikes while you're sucking each other off.
>>
>>974523
So you really have no idea what you're talking about.
>>
File: stupid.jpg (31 KB, 500x377) Image search: [Google]
stupid.jpg
31 KB, 500x377
>>974542
>>
>>974541
>corn fields are the only place you use a kickstand

Is there anyone dumber than the anti-kickstand brigade on /n/?
>>
>>974553
See >>974484
In any scenario, barring an open field, you will not need a kickstand. (Unless you want your bike stolen.)
>>
>>974546
Aww, did I strike a nerve?

You must take great pride in talking about things you don't know.
>>
>>974555
No, that's the only place YOU think you need a kickstand.

I'd rather use a kickstand in my friend's driveway than lean my bike up against a car.

I'd rather use a kickstand at my campsite than put my bike on the muddy ground.

I'd rather use a kickstand in my garage than precariously lean my bike against the lawnmower i stand it next to in case something rolls, gets bumped, etc.

I'd rather use a kickstand as an additional means of support when i lock up my bike in the event some jackass crams his bike into the space and knocks mine over.

You can sit there and poo poo every single use i get out of a kickstand, but the bottom line is that i use it, i like using it, and i would never have a bike without one.
>>
>>973630
>Hit bump in road
>PA-DUNNG-G-G-G
>>
>>974559

>You can sit there and poo poo every single use i get out of a kickstand

this is pretty much what you're asking for with a 'what's wrong with a kickstand' thread. don't start a thread like this and get mad when people disagree with you.

jesus
>>
>>974559
>No, that's the only place YOU think you need a kickstand.
Remember, I said need, not want

>I'd rather use a kickstand in my friend's driveway than lean my bike up against a car.
Lock it up if you don't want it stolen. If you're only hanging for a tiny bit, hold on it.

>I'd rather use a kickstand at my campsite than put my bike on the muddy ground.
See above.

>I'd rather use a kickstand in my garage than precariously lean my bike against the lawnmower i stand it next to in case something rolls, gets bumped, etc.
Don't store it like a retard, that fixes your issue.

>I'd rather use a kickstand as an additional means of support when i lock up my bike in the event some jackass crams his bike into the space and knocks mine over.
If you've properly locked up your bike, it couldn't fall over like how you're saying.

>You can sit there and poo poo every single use i get out of a kickstand, but the bottom line is that i use it, i like using it, and i would never have a bike without one.
See >>974572

Boo fucking hoo.
Did you grandfather die trying to get his kickstand business off the ground or something?
>>
>>974524
>Americans don't know what a frame lock is. In europe this is the standard way to park your bike
We do that here in China too. People actually use D locks as frame locks and there are big lines of bikes standing on their kick stands out the front of supermarkets etc.

Usually there's some old lady paid a few cents per bike to watch them.
>>
>>974462
>Let me guess:
>The Netherlands or Sweden?
China actually. See: >>974657

I've spent a while in Netherlands and yeah, they do the same thing.

A lot of Chinese bikes have Dutch-style frame locks but more people just have short D locks that they use as frame locks.

I come from Australia and I like to lock it to poles/fences everywhere but I'm usually the only one doing that.
>>
>>974524
Dindunuffin americans literally do not miss a beat.
If they see something that isn't bolted to the ground they will run off with it.
>>
>>974524
That's the kind of shit that keeps honest people honest, but doesn't deter a real thief for a moment. I saw a lot of them in Japan.

>>>974559
Who the fuck leans their bike on a car

Kickstand ain't doing SHIT in the mud. Have you ever actually fucking gone bike camping?

All my bikes are hanging up in the garage, so I don't have to wheel them out of the way when I want to get at shit, but whatever floats your boat mate.

If your bike can fall over while locked, you're not locking it right.

I like a solid two-arm kickstand on my commuter so I can load and unload panniers without the bike falling over, but all of your rationales are stupid.
>>
>>974759
So to sum it up: You are just a troll, right?
Or you are unable to grasp the fact that kickstands are useful to many people in many countries in many situations and are standard equipment for many many bikes.

And when I say many I think it is reasonable to say that hundreds of millions of bikes (perhaps billions) and bikers have and use kickstands.

If you are not a troll, then you are quite the ignorant fuck.
>>
File: belterman2[1].jpg (74 KB, 650x488) Image search: [Google]
belterman2[1].jpg
74 KB, 650x488
>What's wrong with kickstands
Lets hear it from Surly first.

http://surlybikes.com/info_hole/spew/kickstands_on_long_haul_truckers

Hilariously enough, the Surly LHT warranty doesn't cover kickstand damage. Now if there were ONE bike that I would think would not care about the extra weight to reinforce the chainstays for a kickstand, it would be a touring bike from surly.

For racers and CF bikes, they're full retard. They're frequently banned, sometimes explicitly from fast group rides.

For offroad riders, they're generally either unnecessary or unusable, if not also unsafe, depending of course on your local terrain. I don't think I've ever seen a performance offroad rider with a kickstand.

There's a common failure mode on the most common bolt on type that damages the frame in an area that is very vulnerable to water and rust. This primarily happens to bicycles without extra reinforcement

That said, commuters, tourers, trekkers, mamacharis, and roadster types are a completely different ballgame. Trying to apply velofacist rules to short hop commuters is a complete fred trap. If you want to use one, then do it. Just don't confuse it with some sort of anti spandex rebellion.

>>974008
If you're at the point where you're buying performance by the gram, it's a huge amount.

>>973971
>>973989
It needs a better marketing name. Like E-drag brake. Extra points if they could be deployed for ridiculous tight hairpins like the e brake on a rally car. But I think the bigger market is bespoke velo orange wrapped in yellow buffalo stem cell vegan leather bespoke art kickstands, that leave little peace signs wherever you put the leg down.
>>
>>974759
Not every bike campsite is muddy
>>
>>974809
Holy shit someone actually thinks kickstands aren't garbage?

I am so fucking triggered right now.
>>
>>974809
>That said, commuters, tourers, trekkers, mamacharis, and roadster types are a completely different ballgame. Trying to apply velofacist rules to short hop commuters is a complete fred trap. If you want to use one, then do it. Just don't confuse it with some sort of anti spandex rebellion.
This. But half of /n/ still goes reeeee at the mere sight of a kickstand, regardless of the bike it's attached to.
>>
>>974814
Kickstands would stick in the ground if you're actually camping, dear. Your bike would be very easy to tip over.

Try camping once. And, no, I don't mean in a trailer.
>>
File: wtf.png (188 KB, 603x452) Image search: [Google]
wtf.png
188 KB, 603x452
>>974809
>http://surlybikes.com/info_hole/spew/kickstands_on_long_haul_truckers

Building a touring frame without a kickstand mounting point.

Bitching about damaged chainstays.
>>
>>974842
>all ground at every campsite is damp enough for a kickstand to automatically dig into

I know you have some intense desire to feel more knowledgeable and experienced than an anonymous poster on an imageboard, but youre still wrong. If you've ever camped anywhere it hasnt rained in the last few days, your kickstand isnt going to dig into the ground.
>>
>>974845
Well. Surly. It's more about looks and being cool.
>>
>>974842
You must camp in Louisiana or something.
Maybe that's why you're such a angry little cunt.
I'd be pissed too if I lived in a swamp.
>>
I'm sticking with my kick stand. Why, because even though it's a mountain bike, I do ride around a camp ground where a road bike will sink in sand and mud. But mostly because I don't want to trash my handle bar, crank, or seat by laying it down or leaning against a tree. Also, I have a cargo rack on the back, I'm not unloading every time I park. But yeah, never had my kick stand sink. It's never that heavy.
>>
>>973777
>A kickstand is just a lot of extra weight
>0.2-0.6lbs
>>
File: firefox_2016-07-03_02-52-52.png (7 KB, 524x85) Image search: [Google]
firefox_2016-07-03_02-52-52.png
7 KB, 524x85
>>973708
>More weight
>>973777
>it's just extra weight
>>973783
>Kickstands are useless weight
>>973880
>It's a fucking LOT of weight.
>>974809
>care about the extra weight

>One third of one tenth of a pound
You fucking idiots you could save more weight by getting a haircut than by not having a kickstand
>>
got one on my townbike, dont need one for roadbike. Life with the townbike would be absolutely miserable without a kickstand, if you use a bike for getting around town which includes parking it everywhere you really need one.
>>
>>974809
>For racers and CF bikes, they're full retard. They're frequently banned, sometimes explicitly from fast group rides.
I can understand that. I wouldn't want to see kick stands in a peleton.

I ride in rush hour here with heaps of other cyclists and literally every bike has a kickstand here, mine is more polite but most are the type that stick back from the rear axle and often extend slightly behind the rear wheel.

I've clipped kickstands with my front wheel several times and I somewhat fear getting a kickstand in my spokes though I'm not sure it's something that can really happen.
>>
Euro frames (except UK) have standardized reinforced kickstand mounts (KSA40) so no risk of damaging the chainstays. The European bike market is enormous and a large part is used for commuting/daily life. Bikes are proper vehicles, not just toys here. Americans mostly only use bikes for casual practices such as sports. So kickstands aren't necessary for them.
>>
>>975670
>15 grams
I'm guessing that's the little carbon stick that you attach to a mount that goes on the rear axle, a regular kickstand is closer to 20 times that weight.

No, it's not an incredibly huge amount, but when you don't have a huge need for a kickstand it's unnecessary weight.

Also rider weight and bike weight are two completely different things, dropping 1kg from a bike makes a bigger difference than dropping 5kg from the rider.

>>975697
My buddies bike has that mount, took me ages to find out what it's for. We're in the UK but it's a Scott, a MTB of all things. It seems like a good idea for commuter bikes but for riding off road having the stand point forward is a big no.
>>
>>975699
>I'm guessing you're talking about a stick that mounts to your frame to hold the bike up when you're not using it, not a kickstand.
You fuckin what m8?
>>
I had a kickstand on my bike when I was 10. After learning how to properly lean my bike on a wall/tree/curb without damaging it, I got rid of it.
They are like stabilisers. Some kids might need them for a while, but that's it. The only possible use of a kickstand is on heavy touring bikes..
Mountain bikes? An unnecessary risk and weight added to your frame. Road bikes? I don't even need to comment.
Commuting? Your bike will be stored at home or at work. So again, no need for a kickstand.
Heavy touring? Definitely useful, to load and unload your stuff without worries.
>>
>>975704
This: http://upstandingbicycle.com/

Turns out it actually weighs 40g total so no idea what that 15g weight is from.
>>
>>975707

> born too pleb for drops
> born fred enough for weight weenieism
> born just in time for full carbon kickstands
>>
>>975708
Are those drop bars with the drops sawed of?
>>
>>973630
Fine for touring bikes and commuters but end yourself if you put one on a road bike.
>>
>>975722
Yes
>>
>>973630

I like my chainstays
>>
Any of those things is an instant autism indicator:
>wolf shirt
>vaping
>fedora
>MLP shirt
>riding a recumbent
>collecting Sonic plushies
>kickstand
>fursuit
>>
>>975809
You are trying too hard.
>>
>>973630
my kickstand literally rusted off on the bike I had in high school.

held it together with string but it always started falling down when I was riding. almost crashed because of it once and was pissed, so I just ripped it off. no regrets on not buying bikes with kickstands anymore.
>>
>>975734
But why?
>>
>>975844
Weight weenie
>>
File: gold-trophy.jpg (137 KB, 1280x1024) Image search: [Google]
gold-trophy.jpg
137 KB, 1280x1024
Good job guys! Keep it up! You earned this.
Thread replies: 133
Thread images: 16

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.