[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What kind of rear view mirror is the best? Handle bar, helmet,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /n/ - Transportation

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 9
File: rear view mirror.jpg (27 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
rear view mirror.jpg
27 KB, 600x600
What kind of rear view mirror is the best? Handle bar, helmet, or wrist? I recently bought the handle bar type for my new touring bike, but I don't like the position of it on my drop handle bars. I might try a helmet one nest. What type do you use and why?
>>
I use my neck and peripheral vision
>>
>>972838
That is hard to do on a loaded touring bike friendo. Especially for a newbie.
>>
>>972839
A mirror is no substitute for looking over your shoulder. It's called a 'lifesaver' for a reason.
>>
>>972839
I don't see how loading your bike would prevent you from turning your head
>>
>>972845
When your turn your head on a loaded touring bike, it is hard to do so without causing the bike to also turn. Almost every bike tourist I have ever met or seen has had one.
>>
>>972847
>When your turn your head on a loaded touring bike, it is hard to do so without causing the bike to also turn.
>I have the body coordination of a toddler
I'm literally laughing to tears imagining this.
>>
I want a helmet mirror. Anybody have some experience?
>>
>>972847
maybe start stretching nigga
>>
ooor you could just
uuhhh
turn your head once in a while
not that hard, actually
>>
>>972879
>I want a helmet mirror. Anybody have some experience?
I use one all the time.
Last week the mirror part fell off, and I couldn't find it.
Felt like I had no pants on.
I've really come to rely on it.

I can usually tell when someone's behind me from the sound, so it might not be THAT necessary, but I really like being able to see behind me.
>>
>>972942
>turn your head once in a while
Not the same as having a rear view in your peripheral sight.
I see stuff when I wouldn't think to turn and look.
>>
>>972947
>so it might not be THAT necessary, but I really like being able to see behind me
ooor you could just
uuhhh
turn your head once in a while
>>
>>972949
Not the same as having a rear view in your peripheral sight.
i think i found the solution
turn your head more often
>>
leave it to /n/ to shit on a tool that helps improve your awareness
>>
>>972955
it's called turning your fucking head, saves you from looking like a complete retard
>>
>>972953
>i think i found the solution
>turn your head more often
What, like every 10 seconds?
Do you have some kind of neurological condition?

>>972958
>saves you from looking like a complete retard
What are you, 12?
>can't wear a mirror, gotta look cool!
I bet you shave your legs too.
>>
>>972969
you don't really need to know what's going on behind you every 10 seconds, unless you are riding on a highway
even tho i fully understand the uses of a mirror, but all those can be simply replaced BY TURNING YOUR MOTHERFUCKING HEAD once in a while and as i said, saves you from looking like a complete moron.
>>
>>972973
it's the same, when riding a car, you have mirrors, but you don't look into them every 5 seconds.
>>
>>972955
I always shit on my chain breaker before use. It lubricates and protects.
>>
>>972973
OP here. The whole reason I was asking was because I am planning a tour which is mostly on highways. I only want a mirror for touring. I don't use one for my around town bike.
>>
>>972973
>you don't really need to know what's going on behind you every 10 seconds

Sure, but it's still nice.
Plus, cager murder-rage doesn't wait for a nice interval.
>>
File: 20140324_135507.jpg (88 KB, 1175x881) Image search: [Google]
20140324_135507.jpg
88 KB, 1175x881
>>972983
lol i think you should have specified this because surely no one objects to a mirror on tour. On a road bike the general ethos is to keep things as minimal and simple as possible but on a touring bike accessories and clutter are pretty cool. I'd like one on a long articulated arm clamped next to the stem. Don't really like the idea of a helmet mirror because i like to take my helmet off when it's safe to do so and hang it over the bars or behind the saddle or whatever and a mirror is going to make that harder. Jobst Brandt agrees and Sheldon and John Allen disagree.

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/brandt/mirrors.html

http://www.bikexprt.com/bicycle/mirror.htm
>>
File: neesan book.jpg (38 KB, 424x255) Image search: [Google]
neesan book.jpg
38 KB, 424x255
>>972847
What the fuck is this post?
>>
>>972969
If you need to ask, you probably shouldn't be riding a bicycle.
>>
File: 1466074957209.png (466 KB, 464x464) Image search: [Google]
1466074957209.png
466 KB, 464x464
If you think you need a mirror you need to work on being more spacialy aware.

Also here's some fixie fags:
https://youtu.be/w1YbmLr_jlU
>>
>>972958
>turning your fucking head, saves you from looking like a complete retard

Quite the opposite.
>>
>>973084
cornfed 3 was better imo, still really awesome, a rather big inspiration to my riding style
>>
>>972837
Hey OP. I have read through some of the answers. /n/ doesn't really seem to approve of mirrors.

Maybe it is because they have never ridden with one.

I have mirrors on every bike I own, because I feel saver with them. I do turn my head if necessary but it is simply very convenient to check out what's going on behind you with a quick glance into the mirror. I have become so much used to mirrors that I feel "naked" and uneasy without one.

You'll love having one because it will extend your awareness about the traffic around you.

You can glance into the mirror and check out what's behind you and still look forward with peripheral vision.

Another thing I like is when I get overtaken. When I hear the car I can easily see whether I will be overtaken narrowly or whether the car gives me ample room.
Often I am under impressions that the drivers notice that I check them out in the mirror and give me more space.

I have tried helmet mirrors and handle bar mirrors. I would recognise the bar end type. I have pic related. It doesn't stick out too much and the field of vision is ok.
>>
>>973080
>>973084
Is this the birth of an epic new seig?
>>
>>973181
I dunno but this is the flameyest flame thread I've ever seen.
>>
File: 1458124490411.jpg (59 KB, 600x800) Image search: [Google]
1458124490411.jpg
59 KB, 600x800
>>972973
>you don't really need to know what's going on behind you every 10 seconds, unless you are riding on a highway
On a back road, there might only be a car behind me once an hour.
But without a mirror,I don't magically know when that is.
With a mirror, I'm constantly aware of what's going on around me.

>>972973
>saves you from looking like a complete moron.
Do you really think having a mirror makes you look stupid?
You better get the mirrors off your car then.
Maybe the tail lights too.
>>
Mirrors are the in the domain of old guys with beards. /n/ hates that guy, because /n/ is a fucking fashion contest. Wouldn't want anyone to think you're the -wrong- type of cyclist.
>>
>>973204
>But without a mirror,I don't magically know when that is.

Nigger don't you have fucking ears? Are sound waves magical? You can hear a car way before it's behind you.
>>
>>973207
That would explain the fixie hate.
And the recumbent thing too.
>>
>>973210
>You can hear a car way before it's behind you.
Most of the time, but not always.
Have you ever ridden a bike?
>>
>>973213
Yeah and 100% of the time a car makes a sound. Just like 100% they will show up in a mirror. If you are driving on a country road then it will most likely be quite quiet. So why the fuck do you need a mirror? If think you hear a car look fucking behind you. It's not that hard. I think you may need a hearing aid bud.
>>
>>973214
Jesus fuck. There are times where a mirror is useful. Deal with it.
>>
>>973215
Yeah when it's up your fucking ass faggot.
>>
File: butthurt.png (19 KB, 470x652) Image search: [Google]
butthurt.png
19 KB, 470x652
>>973216
ur dum. go away
>>
>>973214
RIP anon, hit by a Tesla
>>
>>973218
Teslas go slower than a moderately fit bike commuter.
>>
>>973214
i'd like a mirror so i can avoid fags like you basically
>>
Have a rear view GoPro feed to your Google glass, pleb
>>
>>973318
You've clearly never seen one of the p90Ds, Those things are fast as fuck, range aside, they outperform most ICE cars that aren't in the 800k+ range
>>
>>973387
Yeah because you are going so fucking slow with your totally cool tacticool safety setup bike.
>>
File: 576px-SheldonBrown.jpg (113 KB, 576x768) Image search: [Google]
576px-SheldonBrown.jpg
113 KB, 576x768
>ignoring the teachings of our lord and saviour based sheldon

You people need to go back to /o/ or /asp/ or something.
>>
>>973391
>not having a helmet with built-in radar and target acquisition
its like you don't even want that KOM
>>
>>973432
Wouldn't a mirror on your helmet be dangerous? It seemed like if you crashed, it would slam right into your face.
>>
>>973464
Yes, milliseconds before the ground slams right into your face.
>>
>>973464
The bird protects you in that scenario
>>
File: Capture+_2016-06-28-01-13-31.png (61 KB, 1405x799) Image search: [Google]
Capture+_2016-06-28-01-13-31.png
61 KB, 1405x799
>>973181
I'm not sure but I think I bike a little more than him. Mostly mountain biking though
Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.