[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Sidewalks
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /n/ - Transportation

Thread replies: 81
Thread images: 15
File: images-1.jpg (11 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
images-1.jpg
11 KB, 225x225
>Do you ride your bike on the sidewalks? Why?
>What are the laws in your city about bikes on sidewalks?
>Are there bike lanes on most streets in your city or can cyclists use the entire road in your city?

I'll start
Sometimes, a lot of drivers are assholes and sometimes I feel safer on the sidewalks (LA)
Yes, cyclists can use the road and sidewalks
>Are there bike lanes on most streets in your city or can cyclists use the entire road in your city?
There are very few bike lanes on streets and drivers take up a lot of space of the lane. If I use the street i get a lot of shit from drivers.

How much better is it outside of LA?
>>
I live in LA and I feel like it's pretty safe for the most part.

I haven't gotten shit from drivers in a long time and I ride everyday.

Being slow and feeling like a dick isn't worth riding on the sidewalk imo
>>
>>969569
Sometimes. When its busy and i'm going up a steep hill i'll go onto the sidewalk because i don't want an impatient cager side swiping me. Also when i just feel like cruising really slowly, just so i don't have to worry.
Pretty sure that it's illegal, but i've passed a bunch of cops on my commute when im on the sidewalk and they just don't care, actually had one ask me how my day was going.
There are quite a few actually and i use them whenever possible. I'm sure i could use the whole road if i wanted to but I don't really want to/care.
>>
File: motorsjustdontlookforcyclists.jpg (16 KB, 590x304) Image search: [Google]
motorsjustdontlookforcyclists.jpg
16 KB, 590x304
We talk about this a lot. I'm sure it's in the catalog somewhere, but here are the main points you will see. (At least from the anti-sidewalk camp.)

-Sidewalks are maintain like this, especially on the East Coast where we actually let trees live.
Riding around my town is like riding a scooter ramp park.

-You WILL be hit.
Drivers do not look for bikes before they pull into or back out of a driveway, and they do this quickly.
If on the offchance they do see you, because you're on a bike, they assume you're slow, and will likely undergage your speed, hitting you.

This also goes for you as you come into a t intersection. RIGHT HOOKS ARE FUCKING REAL. If you're going straight, and they're not, you're getting slammed. Less likely, but also real, are assholes making a left onto the street where you're going straight through on.

-There are other people on the sidewalk, and they are assholes.
Nine times out of ten, you'll probably be fine with this, but in my experience, you're gonna spook or enrage a pedestrian who's unbelievably obvious to your being there.
You can pretty much get a way with clipping a decent coasting speed, but in order to be absolutely sure you are safe, you'd have to go at a speed comparable to walking, and that's just not worth it.
The speed of a bike comparable to a car is much closer than a pedestrian.

Now, I live in the real fucking world, so I go on a case by case basis. Too many motorists feel they have a right to speed, so you're kinda stuck between a rock and a hardplace.
Local example is of a road that was designed, built, and signed as a 25mph road, and if they actually stopped people from getting away with breaking the law, we could both share the road, but everyone treats it as a 40mph road, and that's simply not going to fly, so I'll hop on the sidewalk and be extra vigelent about it until I can get back into the road.
The only time I was hit by a car while biking, I was on the sidewalk.
Ripped off eyebrow. Gotta anime scar now.
>>
File: 1406200913839.png (2 MB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
1406200913839.png
2 MB, 1600x1200
>>969573
Sorry for the typos, but to add to this, basically, sidewalks have many of the same problems that what we have the audacity to call 'bike lanes' have, minus a door zone.

When the benefit outweighs the risk, yes.
From the State website:

While riding a bicycle on a sidewalk is not prohibited by New Jersey statutes, some municipalities have passed ordinances prohibiting bicycle traffic on certain sidewalks. This prohibition is usually posted. It should be noted, that sidewalks are for pedestrians. Riding on sidewalks can cause conflicts with pedestrians and, like wrong way riding, can lead to crashes since it places bicyclists in situations where others do not expect them. Except for very young cyclists under parental supervision, sidewalks are not for bicycling."
>Except for very young cyclists under parental supervision, sidewalks are not for bicycling.

There are none.
>>
I do if there are no blind driveways and the pavement is decent, most British roads are narrow enough for motorists already
>>
>>969573
preciate the input
>>
Expect the unexpected!
>>
No, because I'm not a faggot
Only kids are allowed, but it's hardly ever enforced, a lot of people do it
>Are there bike lanes on most streets in your city
No, there's sporadic bike lanes on few streets
or can cyclists use the entire road in your city?
Not unless you have a death wish
>>
>>969585
To add to this, gotta watch out for curbs.
In older areas, most sidewalks don't end in ramps, they end in hard, eight inch drop offs.

Was cooking one time, couldn't stop, and nearly went over my handlebars when the front wheel came down into the street.
>>
only on one part, because there is a very steep hill and a high speed limit (speed limit is 40 mph and the incline gets to about 12 degrees at the steepest part) and I can't always make the climb to completion and I'm going like 1 or 2 mph when I can.
bikes are allowed on sidewalks, but cannot enter the roadway suddenly and as such must fully stop before crossing driveways or crosswalks
there aren't too many bike lanes, but bikes are very much allowed (and encouraged) to be in the road.
>>
>>969588
>cooking on a bike
>>
>>969588
>Was cooking one time
what the fug
>>
>>969590
>>969593
Do you guys not hear 'cooking' as 'going really fast'? It's a common saying here. Usually said as 'cookin', though
>>
>>969569
>>Do you ride your bike on the sidewalks? Why?
Because sometimes I need it and when I do it, I'm slow as fuck because I use my 20' folding bike on a speed that nobody could be damaged. With my road bike I think I only ride on the sidewalk a couple of minutes, just for crossing some street.
>>What are the laws in your city about bikes on sidewalks?
Bikes on the sidewalks are forbidden, but cops won't ticket you unless you are being a dick riding fast on a sidewalk with many pedestrians. If you ride slowly on an almost empty and wide sidewalk, they never will say you anything.
>>Are there bike lanes on most streets in your city or can cyclists use the entire road in your city?
There isn't bike lanes on every road, bike lanes are almost surrounding the city, you can move through the lanes but isn't really efficient if you just want to move throught the city. The lanes are basically for running, walking the dogs, skating and let your childs ride his bikes, I swear I have encountered more dangers on that lane than in the cager jungle because I know where the cars are, but if you ride on that lane, anything can cross in a second and then you/they are fucked, thousand of times I almost crashed into childs and in some ocassion I hit a fucking dong that ran directly to me because his owner threw a stick/ball just behind me.

On the road, you can take it only when is a single road, if it's double, you must go to the side, and cars must leave you 1,5 m, but frankly, in most roads they can't leave you that, and be thankful they leave you 50-60 cm.
>>
I do it instead of riding against traffic, just because a cop told me to.

so basically only for <100' at a time, otherwise I ride next to it
>>
>>969569
I prefer riding on the road obviously, but I ride on the sidewalk most of the time, because I live in an absolute ghetto city with streets that would rival any 3rd world country. You get beaten up, even when driving a car on these streets, so riding a bike is next to impossible, unless you have a full suspension and/or have a masochist tendency. Also because I live in a country where cyclists are seen as 'not part of traffic', but rather as vermin that belongs away from the streets. Also cars are speeding like crazy here and I don't want to constantly put my life in the hands of lunatics.

You are free to ride wherever you like here.

Very few streets have dedicated bike lanes. Practically non-existent here.

tl;dr: I use the sidewalk more than 50% of the time, because I'm very paranoid about someone killing me with their car out of either intention or sheer stupidity.
>>
No. I don't feel the need to do so anywhere I ride. If I do have to get on the sidewalk for a short period of time I'll generally walk my bike or go slowly. The sidewalk feels much more dangerous than the road. Pedestrians want nothing to do with me if I'm on the road, and I'm used to dealing with cars and the bad habits of their shitty drivers.

Bikes can use the sidewalks (FL).
(1)Except as provided in s. 316.008 or s. 316.212(8), a person may not drive any vehicle other than by human power upon a bicycle path, sidewalk, or sidewalk area, except upon a permanent or duly authorized temporary driveway.

There are bike lanes in a lot of the streets, but most of them don't go for the entire length of the road. Cyclists can use the road as long as they stay to the right. Bike lanes can be ignored if there's a safety concern.
>>
>>969569
In most places it is ILLEGAL to ride on the sidewalk, unless you a 5 years old on one of those tiny little bikes for a 5 year old. Also, on the sidewalk it's not safe to go much faster than a walk, so what's the point, you may as well walk everywhere. If you're too scared to get used to riding on the streets then cycling isn't for you, you should give up and get a ride everywhere instead. Or you can MTFU and get some confidence.
>>
>>969683
>Bike lanes can be ignored if there's a safety concern.

like if I want to use them to lane split on my motorcycle?
>>
>>969768
If a car is about to hit you and no one is in the bicycle lane, then you can pull into the bicycle lane to avoid a collision. Safety concern.
>>
I live in a suburb where literally every street has a sidewalk and literally nobody uses them. Ill ride on a sidewalk for an hour, midday and not meet a single other person. But the roads are packed so i stay off them
>>
I always try to not ride in traffic since many drivers are unpredictable and really can not drive at all so i use sidewalks where there are no bike lanes. But we got so many bike lanes so riding in sidewalks does not happen often.
>>
>>969589
>he rides on skinny tires that cant handle 8" drops
>>
>>969569
Riding on the sidewalk is okay until you are twelve years old.
>>
>>969803
/thread
I don't understand sidewalk bikers. I feel way less confident on a sidewalk, even in the suburbs. The only grownups I see on the sidewalk are DUI cases, old folks that are basically standing still, and people who wear their helmets backwards without realizing it.

If you need to hop on the sidewalk, walk your bike. If you are trying to get somewhere, act like it, senpai.
>>
>>969805
Its simple. A collision between a bike and a pedestrian is much less likely to be fatal than some asshole texting in a car and hitting a bike. I use the sidewalk.
>>
>>969807
Maybe you should pull the headphones out of your ears then, DUI-kun ^_^
>>
>>969778
no but I mean, it just fits my style of riding
>>
>>969813
Are you high? Or are you just that faggot that thinks passing with 1 foot is safe?
>>
>>969569
i switch to avoid odd traffic like oblivious cagers going this way and that without a care in the world.
generally ride street.
i may or may not have at some point in the past used the sidewalk to skip past a red light
>>
>>969569
Almost never. It's not authorized in my city (though that doesn't mean much) and we have plenty of bike lane so... Anyway when i do ride on a sidewalk i always walk slowly and always give priority to pedestrian.

Not allowed excepts on very rare ocasions (when cars go fast on a road, that the sidewalks a wide and the road isn't wide enough for a bike lane sometime there is a sign with "cyclist allowed" on the sidewalk). The "no bike on sidewalk" law is pretty well respected (for cycling standards at least)

yes and yes

My city is bike friendly. Also in the town center there are no cars, only pedestrians, bicyles and tram.
>>
File: CGYoJgsUgAAQg4K.jpg:large.jpg (107 KB, 1024x683) Image search: [Google]
CGYoJgsUgAAQg4K.jpg:large.jpg
107 KB, 1024x683
>>969817
>Also in the town center there are no cars
Remind me to stay the hell away from your cucked shit hole

Also, this thread is now about ships
>>
>>969818

Whatever, cager.
>>
>riding on the sidewalk
>some guy cuts me off and says go on the road
>pretend I don't notice him or speak English
>fucking pedestrians
>>
>>969569
No, it's illegal, there are too many obstacles, it isnn't safe for you or pedestrians and you'll look like a twat doing it.
Illegal
Towns and cities have bike lanes, it varies though. Cyclists can use the entire road anywhere, I thought it was the same in every country.
>>
>>969590
>>969593
Noowww we're cookin'...
>>
File: masterrace.jpg (116 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
masterrace.jpg
116 KB, 1280x720
>>969569
No. There's no need for and it's illegal.

It's not allowed. You may park there but no actual riding.

>>Are there bike lanes on most streets in your city or can cyclists use the entire road in your city?
Both. Depend on the speed of other traffic. Slow traffic shares the road in 30 km/h zones and outside the zones where cars go faster we have cycle lanes.
>>
File: Capture.png (51 KB, 758x100) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
51 KB, 758x100
>>969569

Yes. Only in certain areas where I deem the road very unsafe due to the narrow lanes and the speed that cars pass me with.
Pic related
NYC, so some bike lanes. They are nice when available. I haven't seen signs that allow cyclists to share the road like in NJ.
>>
>>969853
>allow
No sign is needed because by law you are required to use the road

It would behoove you to familiarize yourself with NY state traffic laws
>>
>>969569
>Do you?
Only if I have no other option, and always with traffic.
>Why?
Cagers aren't looking at sidewalks for fast moving objects, they expect people walking(and for them to go behind, another story). Both times I've been close to an encounter were on sidewalks.
>Laws
Not actually sure, probably allowed. Living in a metro area means city borders are often crossed, so I assume yes but stay off anyway.
>Bike lanes
In most places, and when there aren't, take the lane. I've only had a couple issues personally. On my way back from a hilly ride to a lake, an impatient boat-cager got pissy that I was barely taking space, honked, and flew past. A couple minutes after, someone else pulled over and said sorry. In thr city, people have been angered at the legal use of a left hand lane.
>>
>>969838
No that's shitty local slang or some sort of shitty bmx speak
>>
Yes, it's often safer than the road
Only really enforced downtown, but even then I've never heard of someone getting a ticket
Probably 50% of roads have a bike lane, and motorists are pretty ok with it if you need to use the whole road to turn left or something.
>>
File: 7736434.jpg (77 KB, 400x369) Image search: [Google]
7736434.jpg
77 KB, 400x369
>this many people riding on sidewalks
I didn't realize /n/ had so many DUI dirtbags, jesus christ no wonder everyone on the internet hates cyclists
>>
There's a couple points on my daily commute where's it's shorter or safer than the road.
Some of the larger nearby cities don't allow it but the rest don't care.
>Are there bike lanes on most streets in your city?
No bike lanes in my pissant town but some in those that don't allow bikes on the sidewalk
>can cyclists use the entire road in your city?
According to state law, yes. But try telling that the the drivers.
>>
>>969701
>Also, on the sidewalk it's not safe to go much faster than a walk, so what's the point
Still faster standing still between a bunch of cars because there's no room to move past them.

>>969853
>Only in certain areas where I deem the road very unsafe due to the narrow lanes and the speed that cars pass me with.
Basically this.

>>970001
They mostly hate the one who get in the way of their cages.
>>
File: CBHpfzeWYAEv0G7.jpg (81 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
CBHpfzeWYAEv0G7.jpg
81 KB, 600x450
There are plenty of bike lanes here.
>>
>>969569
NO
I'M NOT A FAGGOT
>>
>>Do you ride your bike on the pavement? Why?
Only if I'm going against the flow of traffic in a one way section or I've just missed my light and I'm in a hurry, but generally no
>>What are the laws in your city about bikes on pavement?
UKFag, bikes aren't allowed on the pavement unless you're a kid
>>
riding on the sidewalks? lol yeah sure i have cupholders and streamers on my bike too
>>
I don't because sidewalks are for pedestrians, and I don't fancy hitting a pedestrian or getting hit by a cyclist when I'm the pedestrian.
If I have to, I'll just push my bike or, if I have good visibility, ride it. That's extremely rare, though.
I don't know the exact laws, but according to the traffic code, bikes are supposed to ride on the road. Recently, it was modified so that bikes could travel side by side on the road as well.
There isn't a single bike lane in my city.
>>
>>970001
Must be nice living in a cyclist paradise, but not everyone can just get up and move.
I don't live in an LA concrete jungle shithole. If you don't take the main road, there isn't a slower one paralleling it, you'd have to go out of your way. I'm gonna take the main road on the walk for a bit; saves me life and saves me time.
>>
city has very few bike lanes, 95% of them are filled with parked cars because parking is in fact a massive issue in this city, 4% have trees or fences in the way, 1% is an actual separated bike lane

all of the bike "lane" projects where a reason to money grab big bux for some paint and curbs, so it doesn't really come as a surprise how poorly implemented they where.

both streets and sidewalks are kind of bad, I prefer the streets ofc but depending on the situation I prefer to go slower on sidewalk for certain areas.

if you cut me off at the last second I will vocally express my desire to have you die in a fire.
>>
Just Little bit in specific points of city. Most cases is for going to a Street to another counter-trafficly in a no suicidal way, just to dont a whole turn arround many streets to get in that desired Street. No more than few meters.
Forbiden, but in practice police ticket you only if you screw up pedestrians, rinding fast in a populated sidewalk. But there is an interesting thing: pedestrians yell you to get in the Street, cagers Yell you to get in the sidewalk, some policeman thinks biking in Street is ilegal and ticket you for that, other policeman ticket you for biking at sidewalk. Plp here really dont know what is the place of bikes. For law, we 're another car in the Street, but in practice there is no way to get biking from some cities to nearest city in a non ilegal way, because there arent tools to individualize bikes (like registration plate for cars) in order to charge you the path's toll. If cops can catch you they will ticket you. (A lot of cities don't have alternative paths to avoid toll-paths).
You MUST use the Street for biking even if you are a 3 years old child who is learning how to bike or a 82 years old man. (next year this will change), but you can't use the whole road. You must bike at 1.5 m from the right sidewalk, but in practice cars and busses cant overpass you even if you bike at 20 cm from sidewalk. there are not bikelanes in all city, and there is not insurance for bikers (medic coverage raise your fee if you bike).
>>
>>969573
>you're gonna spook or enrage a pedestrian who's unbelievably obvious to your being there.
i sound-off like my sous chef calling off order fires during service before overtaking pedestrian traffic

"PASSING LEFT!"
>>
I only ride on the sidewalk for like a minute if I need to cross a street or something.

Who here idaho stops red lights? I always do. Love imagining outraged cagers.
>>
>>970536
where is this?
>>
>>970540
And you'll spook them, and you'll have a [better than possibly] 50% chance of them jumping into your path
>>
>>970540
This only ever works for me on shared paths where peds expect bikes.
>>
>>969817
>Also in the town center there are no cars
I really wish my city would do this.
>>
File: chile.png (19 KB, 2000x1333) Image search: [Google]
chile.png
19 KB, 2000x1333
>>970594
In a beautiful city outside texas's capital, where you need mtb for biking regular streets because shitty quality asphalt.
>>
>>969783
where on earth are you getting this from?
>>
>>969595

>t. billy bob thornton

no1 uses that word, at least not in 'bama
>>
>>969569
If the nature of a certain street scares me as a cyclist AND there are No pedestrians then I do ride on the sidewalk. However, I hop into the road if there is a pedestrian and I try to avoid the situation where I am on the sidewalk.
>>
>>969595
is that like how crips say booking
>>
>>971136
faggot
>>
>>971098
you're dumb.
>>
>>969569
http://bikeleague.org/StateBikeLaws
Unless you live in Alabama,Georgia,New Hampshire,North Dakota or NYC I sure hope you aren't riding in the street like some kind of degenerate assholes.
Remember the road is for vehicles not pedestrians.
>>
>>969577
If only there were a flat concrete path running parallel to the road that is free of traffic!
Oh wait!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sidewalk
>>
>>969569
sometimes, but I try to stay on the road most of the time

bikes belong on the sidewalks in my city, lol.

bike lanes in my city are on the fucking sidewalk. They're made of that rubber shit that running tracks are made of. Everyone knows they only built it that way to pocket money.
>>
>>971098
wut city, m8?
>78666 represent
>>
>>971136
>'bama resident calling ANYONE Billy Bob
kettle, pls
>>
it's really fun to pump wonky sidewalks
even funner to jump them. I want one to send me over a car one day
>>
File: nice meme.gif (3 MB, 420x300) Image search: [Google]
nice meme.gif
3 MB, 420x300
>>972170
>bicycles aren't vehicles
>>
>>972170
By NJ law, I am required to be in the street, whether I like it or not
>>
File: Belarus.png (27 KB, 1920x1200) Image search: [Google]
Belarus.png
27 KB, 1920x1200
>>969569
this beautiful country exists where IT'S AGAINST THE LAW TO RIDE ON THE ROAD. sidewalks only. bikelanes are scarce or nonexistent. critical mass rides get severely beaten up by cops.
>>
>>972523
where is this?
>>
>>974210
But only babushkas on 50 year old hi-ten folders ride over there, so maybe it's for the better.
>>
>>969569

State law says its legal to go on the sidewalk unless otherwise posted.

Our roads are mostly crap, with even worse drivers, so I'll hop on the sidewalk to get around spots that are almost guaranteed to get you killed, otherwise I try to stay on the road.

Not too many bike lanes/paths. I wouldn't suggest going fast on any of the ones that aren't near the road since homeless people enjoy doing things like running heavy fishing line across the path, knocking you down and robbing you.
>>
File: 26_620.png (75 KB, 722x422) Image search: [Google]
26_620.png
75 KB, 722x422
>>974362
not really - just like elsewhere in eastern europe cycling has been becoming increasingly popular both as means of transport and leisure activity since the 90s, even though their wages are so low that 200-300 eur bikes are considered decent.
picrelated is the top of their local manufacturer's xc hardtail range
>>
>>969569
Not usually. I will for like 50 feet if it's convenient for whatever reason.
Not sure.
Cyclists can legally use the entire road in all cities in the United States.
Thread replies: 81
Thread images: 15

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.