[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why did freds allow this to happen?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /n/ - Transportation

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 4
File: BB30_76.jpg (109 KB, 420x315) Image search: [Google]
BB30_76.jpg
109 KB, 420x315
Why did freds allow this to happen?
>>
Freds don't set trends, they just follow them
>>
>>968851
Why are Underage B& NEETs allowed to shitpost?
>>
>>968886
Bump just for you
>>
because manufacturers market it as an "upgrade"
>>
>>968851
What am I looking at? Is it that the BB shell is missing threads and needs that extra insert?
>>
>>969093
It's press fit BB. There's nothing wrong with them (BB86 at least in my experience)

OP is a monumental faggot.
>>
>>969095
It's "better"amirite? :^))
>>
>>969115
It's BB. It's supposed to hold cranks. It does that just like any other form of BB.
Where the benefit is is the stiffer frame design it allows. Of course you wouldn't even care about that putting out 80w on a good day, huh Graham?
>>
There is nothing wrong in press fit itself and based on the facts it's better than threaded BBs as it allows for stiffer frames and more freedom in the whole BB area design.

However apparently every manufacturer needs their own proprietary press fit BB design which makes it way more complicated than it should be.
>>
>>968851
The only reason I dislike BB30 is because Shimano never got on board with it. When looking for 46/36 cranksets, I'm stuck with FSA and SRAM. Not a fan of FSA and having a Shimano groupset with a set of SRAM cranks is just too triggering for me.

I just use BB30 to 24mm conversions.
>>
>>968851
pressfit BB's allow for better frames to be designed, as evidenced by Pinarello (purveyors of the world's most expensive mediocre frames) being the only ones to still use threaded bb's on their high end bikes.
>>
Why are people against pressfit BBs but not against threadless headsets? Isn't it pretty much the same principle?
>>
>>969095
>nothing wrong with them
Dude... There is so much wrong with pressfit bottom brackets it's not even funny. Enjoy your creaking and one month bearing lifetime.
Which is fucking stupid, because frame manufacturers have been making headtubes for pressed cups pretty much forever without any problems at all (let's disregard Scott just this one time) but everyone seem completely incapable of keeping any sort of manufacturing tolerances as soon as it's a bottom bracket. For absolutely no reason.

Pressfit are also less stiff and offer the crank axle less support than the outboard bearing threaded cups that have been the standard for years.
The only valid reason I can see is if you realy, positively, absolutely must have a full carbon bottom bracket with not even an extra gram of aluminium. Carbon is hard to thread. But that's realy stretching it.
>>
>>969186
>everyone does it and this proves it is technically superior and makes for better frames
Does not follow.
>>
>>969133
>Where the benefit is is the stiffer frame design it allows.
Citation needed.

By placing the bearings closer to each other you've made the crank and bottom bracket as a whole weaker, and you're applying more torque to the shell. The bearings aren't smaller diameter than BSA threads, so you're not afforded more BB shell material for a given outer volume either.
Fred propaganda.

Pressfit means you can afford to play a bit looser with the shell diameter tolerances, so less machining and you don't need metal inserts for threading. It's cheaper, crappier and sold as an upgrade. Everyone is happy.
>>
>>969193
It's not so much that everyone does it, as that Pinarello doesn't do it. If you're doing what Pinarello is doing, that can't be good.
>>
>>969190
Pressfit is great. As implemented by the gazilion bottom bracket "standards" it's pretty shitty. Not because of the pressing per se, but because of the specific hare-brained designs and their practical implementation by frame builders. And the fact that the bearings are pressed in, rather than a bearing cup as is the case with headsets, mean monkeys keep killing the bearings, the seals or even the shell itself when they can not into bearing press.
Pressfit bottom bracket bearings is also a problem in search of a solution in search of a problem. BSA was just fine.

(Even threaded headsets are pressed - to the frame. The threaded/threadless is only about how it locks the fork in. By clamp, or thread.)
>>
Pressfit BBs are all garbage, they always creak, they use plastic pieces to allow greater manufacturing tolerances, and if there's a problem with the frame there's nothing you can do, you can face it but you can't fix it if it's slightly too large or elliptical. Comparing pressfit BBs to pressfit headsets is full retard, take both apart sometime and think about how the two things seat and why it's different. My hardtail and full suspension bikes both have around 4k miles on them, the HT has a threaded BB and the FS has a PF30. Obviously if you ride off road you have to service your BB a lot, especially if you ride in the wet. The hardtail I unscrew the BB, grease it, put it back in. The FS I have to tap it out, grease it, press it in. The threads can withstand this indefinitely, the pressfit is an interference fit so every time you have contact dragging in and out of the shell, and unavoidably the BB will change angle ever so slightly and damage the shell in a small way, but it adds up over time. On top of all this, pressfit offers 0 advantage, other than cost for the manufacturer.
>>
>>969191
>Dude... There is so much wrong with pressfit bottom brackets it's not even funny. Enjoy your creaking and one month bearing lifetime.
You fuckin idiot. You're just repeating what you read on bicycle.com forum written by some buttblasted 50 year old who can't believe people don't think his 1998 Cannondale is cool any more.
I've had press fit for 18 months now and not touched it, ever. It doesn't creak and the bearings are fine.
EAD.

>>969194
>By placing the bearings closer to each other
What the fuck are you talking about. Press fit places the bearing WIDER. Hence the fucking name BB<<86>>, it's 86mm wide BB shell. Go measure yours and come back and tell me how your NARROWER BB is somehow more laterally stiff than mine. It isn't, and you're a faggot.

>monumental retards commenting on things they know nothing about
>>
>>969446
>I take my crabbon bike out for a ride every other weekend as long as it's nice out for 2 years! and it's fine!
Get back to me when you actually use your stuff, sieg
>>
File: bhwhole2.jpg (81 KB, 465x548) Image search: [Google]
bhwhole2.jpg
81 KB, 465x548
>p-pressfit BB's aren't any better, they make n-no difference to frame design

le BB386 face
>>
>>969446
>Press fit places the bearing WIDER. Hence the fucking name BB<<86>>, it's 86mm wide BB shell.
A 68mm shell with outboard, threaded bearings (HTII) is 92mm wide according to my vernier. 92 is more than 86, which in turn is a wide pressfit "standard" by prefit standards. You're the monumental retard repeating some shit you read on a bike forum/advertisement rag.
Fred plz go.
>>
>>969455
>all those high end carbon fiber frames from 2011~2013 who are just past their effective life cycle on craigslist from sellers acting like we don't know whats going on
>>
Oh fuck guys, apparently I have a press-fit BB. Are there any chances I could change it for something else? Or am I doomed forever (and by forever I mean the end of season when it dies completely)?
>>
My cannondale jekyll has this. Utterly pointless and cost me another 90 shekels to by a hope converter so I can run shimano stuff.
>>
$21.48
>>
File: dennisvomit.jpg (46 KB, 534x553) Image search: [Google]
dennisvomit.jpg
46 KB, 534x553
>>969915
>square taper
Octalink or GTFO
>>
>>969915
Gxp/ht2 is half that
>>
>>969942
>Gxp

Heh yeah if you are too pleb to even q-factor I guess

>>969917
>Octalink

elucidate me on this
I see they are cheaper ($12 on the low end)

I've heard they are better from an engineering standpoint

But again, can't tweak the q factor can ya? eh. ?
>>
>haven't had to replace campy square taper bbs for forever
>haven't had to replace campy ultratorque cups for forever
>meanwhile all the people with japcrap are whining
please stop buying japanese shit you fucking weebs
>>
>>969974
octalink, because seized square taper crank arms are too easy to remove

hollowtech 2 style cranks need no special tools
>>
>>969892
>Oh fuck guys, apparently I have a press-fit BB. Are there any chances I could change it for something else?
You could permanently epoxy an adapter depending on how wide your shell is. But if you didn't end up with a frame example with slightly oval holes that *creak*creak*creak* and kills bearings weekly I wouldn't bother. I'd still sulk a bit about my frame manufacturer being an idiot and probably feel slightly Fred.
>>
>>970329
Okay, but can an ill fit bb make the chain scrap against front dérailleur arm when on top gears (smallest cogs) at the back?
>>
>>969447
Different guy. So far ive done almost 8000 kilometres this year, pressfit bb. Literally 0 problems or creacks at all. Dont be a faggot. I ride more than you. Learn how to use workshop tools before you shit up this board again
>>
>>970430
According to google that's 4970.97 normal people distance units, so, no, you didn't ride more than me this year. Guessing those were mostly sunny and dry miles. Get back to me when you're riding in salty slush all winter long.
>>
>>970430

Any BB will last forever if you're lightly spinning on flat, smooth roads. Try mashing and putting out massive power on rough ground in bad weather and see how long you can go before getting creaks.
>>
>>970599
Except im not. Im racing crits and training on mostly short sharp climbs, ie the two situations where you tend to put down big efforts repeatedly. Dont be such an asshurt casual mate
>>
>>970599
>Try mashing

>current year
>not spinning
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.