[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do bike commuters usually just have easy, flat rides on city
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /n/ - Transportation

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 5
File: Bicycle-Commuting-Sites[1].jpg (89 KB, 594x396) Image search: [Google]
Bicycle-Commuting-Sites[1].jpg
89 KB, 594x396
Do bike commuters usually just have easy, flat rides on city streets? Or are hills involved?

I was thinking about this in terms of like, if you bike to work and have a tough ride with hills or whatever, doesn't that add a lot of time to your commutes? Don't you get tired/sweaty before even getting into work, then having to start the day tired?

Or working all day then having to struggle up a hill back home before even eating dinner?
>>
File: stupid.jpg (31 KB, 500x377) Image search: [Google]
stupid.jpg
31 KB, 500x377
>>
>>968533
There are hills in my commute. Believe it or not, 10 miles & ~45 minutes after I leave home in the morning I'm NOT entirely sapped of all my energy in any given day.

If I took a car to work I'd probably have to ride/run before leaving, just to set myself off on the right foot...

Being fat &/or out of shape must reeeally suck dick...
>>
>>968566
Are all bicyclists especially the ones on this board this condescending? No one wonder everyone hates you guys
>>
>>968571
t. fatty
>>
>>968571
Yes of course we're all this condescending. Dumbass.
>>
>>968571
Actually the cyclists on /n/ are considerably less condescending than the ones you'll meet IRL, particularly the ones who ride in group rides and think they're mike fucking hall now.
>>
>>968572
I'm not fat at all. I'm actually emaciated. All I did was ask if people's commutes are typically flat or have hills and that pumping up hills might make someone a bit tired or sweaty and instead I get called a fat dumbass.

>>968574
Hmm maybe because that's the 4chan crowd I guess. Do you think people on here wear spandex bike suits on their commutes?
>>
>>968574
this, I thought /n/ was terrible until I encountered a normie cyclist in real life
>>
My commute is 10km with some decent hills. It takes half an hour.

I get sweaty because I like to go fast, but there are showers at work so I just take my morning shower there.

> start the day tired

Quite the opposite.
>>
>>968578
Because that's a fucking retarded question.
People are gonna be as tired as they're gonna be. When you do it consistently, you either HTFU and won't be tired, or you puss out and you won't be doing it anymore.

If you see anyone doing it, they're not fucking too tired to work, obviously.

And, are they sweaty? No fucking shit, but you wipe your face on your t-shit and go on about your day.
If you work a shit job, you carry a suit with you. If you have a uniform or get to wear a t-shirt or something, no one will give a shit if you glisten for the first fifteen minutes of your shift.
Personally, if I applyed for a place or something, I'll get there early and cool down around the corner because some subhuman assholes have a real adverse reaction to the normal human process of sweating. After that, so long as I don't reek, they can fuck off.

Ask stupid questions and get stupid answers, OP
>>
I used to commute to work, it was around 10km with no steep climbs but one constant 1% "hill" all the way. I did get sweaty, but I always had a fresh set of clothes stored at work, and no, you don't start the day tired, it's the complete opposite. Huge energy shot.
>>
>>968574
Antisocial autist detected. By far the most condescending cyclists are fixie hipsters with tarck bikes and hipster randofags with velo orange French inspired shit.
>>
>>968589
Don't forget the rive/surlyshits. What makes them bad is they've all drunk the kool-aid of some sort, and think they've been redpilled with their contrarian lifestyle cycling.

Racefags and roadies are fine. The above autists get offended by them because they're convinced that roadies are 100% wrong about everything. Roadie is the standard enthusiast route, even though there's a lot of kool-aid to drink, you don't have to drink a lot of kool-aid to be a roadie. And even if a roadie drinks the kool-aid, they're not drinking the contrarian special snowflake autistic kool-aid that is out to prove how wrong roadies are.

And roadies know they're in no position to talk if you're faster than them. But all the anti-roadies get flustered because they're slow and have to resort to all sorts of arbitrary degrees of being subjective hardcoreness that has nothing to do with how good of a cyclist they are, and will pretend to have done brevets and epic rides because they can't prove that they're strong cyclists through speed or anything they've actually accomplished.

The worst part is that the anti-roadie projects all his prejudices on the fat slow retiree fred on a $2,000 Giant, and convinces himself that he passed a racer on a $10,0000 Trek whose existence is insulting in of itself, and would have insulted the anti-roadie and acts as if this is some sort of great accomplishment worth bragging about, with some further embellishment, on an anonymous imageboard.

Prove me wrong
>>
>>968571
You want to see condescending, go to bikeforums.net. They are far worse than most of the banter I see here, minus swearing / personal attacks.

Instead of one person saying, "That's fucking stupid", and the thread bouncing off to oblivion, you get hundreds of posts from sarcastic smart asses. One recent thread about roadies making fun of what a casual was wearing has 230 posts. One about being refused service at McDonald's drive-thru got 350.
>>
>>968599
My local bk only has the drivethrough open at night. They let me through on my road bike even though they know i only ever get a $1 frozen coke for dat sugar but they turn away people walking. I think it's just cos i'm nice to them lol but the guy once said i can get a DUI on my bicycle so i might as well be able to get a frozen coke.
>>
>>968589
Fred who thinks he's a professional racer detected
>>
>>968533
>I was thinking about this in terms of like, if you bike to work and have a tough ride with hills or whatever, doesn't that add a lot of time to your commutes? Don't you get tired/sweaty before even getting into work, then having to start the day tired?

I usually race to work, 3 miles down Broad St. philadelphia. I show up sweaty and change shirt/socks/underwear in the bathroom

It's all flat here, but the headwind is brutal (usually get it coming AND going because of the river / heat and shit).

I can get to work in 15 minutes if I hustle hard and get lucky with red lights. Takes a full hour on public transportation, 1.5 hours to walk, 25 minutes in a car

Rain is okay (jacket + fenders + pants in pannier). Sub freezing temps sucks bad without proper gear. Very annoying to layer up before and after a ride in the Winter.

Some days, though, it's 70 degrees, you have a tail wind, the sun is out, and you're racing home faster than the cars stuck sitting at lights. Get home super energized, shower, eat, have the energy to work out. It's great. Commuting in a car is misery
>>
File: thedonald.jpg (108 KB, 594x549) Image search: [Google]
thedonald.jpg
108 KB, 594x549
>>968598
what the fuck are you talking about
>>
>>968598

okay I hate the velorando janheine peterson fop adventure phags too

BUT, there is a clear blind spot when roadies and other competitive types discuss cycling, and it's that SPEED is what matters.

It's what matters for your sport. But it's not the only thing, or even the main thing, that cycling is about (for the rest of us)
>>
>>968599
>. One recent thread about roadies making fun of what a casual was wearing has 230 posts.

link?

I mostly stay on touring, which is so autistic it's amazing

Classic and Vintage forum is the most level headed cyclists. The just love bikes and don't harass eachother
>>
>>968605
>BUT, there is a clear blind spot when roadies and other competitive types discuss cycling, and it's that SPEED is what matters.
How is that a blind spot?
>>
>>968598
>all this projection
wew
>>
>>968615
>Grant Petersen: Roadies suck, the bike industry that fired me sucks, and I wrote a book about it
>Jan Heine: The French were right all along, I even have a quarterly journal about it
>Surly: We make alt bikes because normal bikes are shit, just read out advertising spews
>Fixter: It's like zen and shit and its lighter and and its simpler and you're connected and totally ironic and/or authentic or something

No really, each one of those groups are founded on the fact that they think roadies are wrong and their kool-aid is inherently contrarian.
>>
>>968613
>How is that a blind spot?

Because
>>
>>968623
Speed is only one of the things that matters to roadies.
>>
>>968622
what i'm saying is that you sound like a grumpy contrarian kool-aid chugger yourself, bruh
>>
>>968603

>race to work 3 miles away
>takes 15 min

You do realize that that's 12 miles per hour? Hardly racing?
>>
>>968598
Fuck man, I don't know. I just picked a bike out a garage and started riding two weeks ago. What the hell is a roadie and anti-roadie? Is it like the anti-life equation?
>>
>>968639
Dont listen to a word this aspie fuck spews from the confines of his moms damp basement
>>
>>968578
>emaciated
You're that idiot who started a thread the other day about how you were worried you'd 'become more emaciated' if you started riding your bike uphill to work then?
>>
File: image[1].png (301 KB, 575x359) Image search: [Google]
image[1].png
301 KB, 575x359
>>968578
>>968650
Lol it's definitely that anon.
Seems quite obsessed with the fact he's emaciated.
>>
>>968639
The roadies are like the Legion of Superheroes. Stuck up, embarrasing outfits, flight rings for extra speed.

The anti roadies are like suicide squad.
>>
>>968598
You are too high on kool-aid, bro.
>>
>>968598
You should try riding a bike some time, it's a lot more fun than regurgitating angst back onto the internet without understanding any of the words
>>
>>968684
t. antiroadie
>>
>>968607
http://www.bikeforums.net/general-cycling-discussion/1067114-made-fun-other-cyclists.html

Like most such complaints the OP didn't quite hear what was said so he just projected his insecurities onto them.

Periodically someone starts a thread about roadies that don't wave back at them. Such threads are practically copy pasta almost always containing phrases like "all kitted up", "lance armstrong wannabe", "elitist snob".
>>
I use my super ebike for commuting, so I can do my 15km trip in 20 minutes without even breaking a sweat.
>>
>>968710
Or you could use a motorcycle or a car.
>>
>>968712
Ebikes dont require licenses
>>
I have an active job, so it doesn't really matter if I show up sweaty, because it'll happen anyway.
>>
>>968533
You get used to commuting. There will be sweat involved, but if you just have a change of shirt and bird bath in the washroom when you get there and deodorant, it's no big deal. I only drink water and eat clean, so I don't smell bad unless i wear the same thing all day.
Hills and stop lights add time to your commute, but it is usually faster than taking public transportation or a car in rush hour.
>>
Op here

I'm glad I made a post that has fostered such great discussion so far. I am learning a lot
>>
>>968712
Yeah. I have a car, but the ebike allows me to avoid traffic, enjoy the open air and it's fun as fuck. Driving I nearly fall asleep in stop and go traffic. I can also put a lot of human power down on the ebike when I want to to either increase body temp when cooler or just get more exercise. I mountain bike under purely human power like 4 days a week for my main exercise anyway.

I could go on about the benefits of an ebike. Saving KMs off my older SUV which also isn't fantastic on gas. Basically free fuel with the ebike as I charge it at work. Another thing is that it is way more efficient than even the human body at converting energy into thrust. Humans are maybe 30% efficient while my ebike is around 80%.

Did I mention it's fun as hell?
>>
>>968571
We have literal bike nazis here, but the're still less freako than a lot of the people out there.
>>
File: y tho.jpg (865 KB, 1813x2111) Image search: [Google]
y tho.jpg
865 KB, 1813x2111
>>968712

Butt why?
>>
>>968712
Not financially possible for me
>>
>>968827
Then an ebike is probably a strain on your economy as well.

>>968818
Well, if you're gonna cheat...
>>
>>968832
Oh, I'm sorry. I thought that guy was suggesting to *all* bike commuters get a car, not just ebike users.
>>
>>968834
Personally i'd like a motorcycle. But i can't afford to be any more unfit than i already am.
>>
>>968837
Fatty detected
>>
>>968843
Skinnyfat thankyouverymuch
Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.