[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why are 99.9% of mountain Bikers lame as fuck? the 0.01% a
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /n/ - Transportation

Thread replies: 111
Thread images: 22
File: lame mtb.jpg (41 KB, 426x480) Image search: [Google]
lame mtb.jpg
41 KB, 426x480
Why are 99.9% of mountain Bikers lame as fuck?

the 0.01% are free-roam downhill riders

everyone else just likes to ride light trails and buy more stupid shit for their bikes and take instagram shots

example of a fun ride....your avg MTB'er isn't doing this
pic related is lame
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dchUx1DP2CA
>>
>>968114

It's like saying road cyclist are 99% lame for riding on the road.

The fuck you on?
>>
>>968121
at least 40 ish percent of those with road bikes actually do what they're built to do (ride on the road, quickly)

there are some lazy assholes on disc brake equipped bikes trying to average 14 mph on strava that are better suited on hybrids
>>
>>968114
post bike, faggot.
>>
File: cat.jpg (16 KB, 268x265) Image search: [Google]
cat.jpg
16 KB, 268x265
>>968114
>Most of people rather to avoid dangerous trails and enjoy group riding in relatively safer areas.
No shit sherlock.

That looks like a fun ride btw, how many places like that are in burgerland?
Would love to visit one.
>>
>>968114
Fuck off sieg
>>
>>968114

Post bikes Siegfag
>>
>Why can't everyone be as hardcore as I am?

I bet you don't even have a fucking bicycle, faggot
>>
>I only ride down hills

get out of here fred
>>
File: CAM00733.jpg (738 KB, 1920x2560) Image search: [Google]
CAM00733.jpg
738 KB, 1920x2560
>>968114
LOOK AT MY FREDNESS, OP.
>>
File: molly.jpg (46 KB, 600x345) Image search: [Google]
molly.jpg
46 KB, 600x345
Post bike.
>>
>>968157
Drive uphill ride downhill, uber back up bitch
>>
>>968174
Pack a bunch of garbage on your bike to ride 9mph on the desert and change tubes after 2 miles and think that's fun

"I'm overheating my brakes I need hydraulic!"

I need to wrap my chainatays with an inner tube because I saw a few rocks this one-time and might scratch the paint
>>
File: Sieg.jpg (56 KB, 700x525) Image search: [Google]
Sieg.jpg
56 KB, 700x525
Why do you care about other people so much? That's not very healthy man.
>>
that might as well be bmx with bigger bikes

no adventure at all, just a well-groomed course and a carefully-edited video
>>
>>968181
You do not own a functional bicycle. You just come here to shit up the board. Leave.
>>
File: flowin.jpg (2 MB, 1996x1497) Image search: [Google]
flowin.jpg
2 MB, 1996x1497
>>968174
only,, one, water, bottle,,, but 2 cages!!, ooo your a FRED alrighty!, wha?, you where drinking from one??!,, HA! Thats, YOUR story!, BAdbike!,, badbad byke.,,, bad baa... BuuuwwWWWAAA!! HOLDME!!
,, its Beutiful!!,, why, cant, i,b,u,,, simply elegant.
>>
>>968195
i don't commute on a POS, and i don't like bike racks

and im not into tying stupid shit to my road bike....still very functional though
>>
>>968114
>>968125
>>968179
>>968181
>>968219

Kill yourself.
>>
>>968114
>riding at whistler
uh, i think thousands of mtbers are doing that every season at just that specific park

>sieg

oh, wait

fuck off sieg
>>
>>968114
>All those middle aged men in my country who bought mtb with suspension and knobbly tyres to ride on walking paths.
>they don't realise that you don't need knobbly tyres and that they should get slicks
>they don't realise that they could have gotten a road frame that is lighter

If you have a mtb you are a normal person because they are seen as standard bikes. The second you buy a road frame you are a "cyclist" and people don't want to be that because cyclists get a lot of hate. People are retarded.
>>
>>968114
post bike or fuck off
>>
>>968114
>riding a post '92 MTB
>not pounding a tall can before the ride
>not pounding a tall can halfway through the ride
>not pounding a tall can at every mechanical repair break

you're the one that sounds lame as fuck m80.
if your MTB rides aren't dangerous, then what exactly are they?
>>
https://youtu.be/8wJjZ34ZQl0

doesn't this look fun?!?
>>
File: 20160425_132831-2.jpg (2 MB, 2582x1936) Image search: [Google]
20160425_132831-2.jpg
2 MB, 2582x1936
I like to take it easy
>>
>>968225
>mbt
>they are seen as standard bikes.

This is a strange meme, but it's true. Whenever I buy a new bike, people always assume that it's either a mtb or a fatbike. Most of the commuters in my city ride either a old shitty hybrid with rusted chain, or brand spanking new bright coloured front suspended mbt with knobby tires, unadjusted gears, seat too low and a chain that is just starting to rust.

Road cyclists are extremely rare, (15 people on a local group ride is a shitton of participants) and I run into other riders extremely rarely on the trails too.
>>
>>968254
>Road cyclists are extremely rare
On my city I would say just the 5% are road cyclists, the rest have MTB/hibrids. Everyone rides a MTB even for commuting on pavement/tarmac, you almost never see their MTB with mud.You rarely see anyone on a road bike, and when you see them, they are never really young, they usually are 30-35 years old at least, including hipsters with their old steels. I think MTB are pretty casual and people don't like to ride on cager jungle, they just want to chill on dirt roads. Road bikers buy they bikes for going fast/long, probably the road cycling have more ´´hardcore´´ users than mtb in %.
>>
>>968259
yea you might be right there about mtb's in general but I would not call those users mountain bikers. what really grinds my gears is seeing people commute with full sussers. i just moved from a place with mountains and hills to an incredibly flat place and idk why anyone here needs a bike with 180mm of travel.
>>
>>968114
llololololol

ur an faggit
>>
>>968219
>hating bike racks
Just as I was starting to tolerate you
>>
File: tubewrap.jpg (172 KB, 640x427) Image search: [Google]
tubewrap.jpg
172 KB, 640x427
>>968181
its for chain slap on drops you retarded faggot. but i wouldn't know cause i just ride my full sus on bike paths.
>>
I'm all confused by the subcultures of mountain biking, they seem pretty unrelated to each other in terms of the kind of person who's into what.

Trail guys seem to just be like roadies, I think most of those guys are roadies, doesn't seem like this is the largest component of MTB though? MTB specific forums are all about weird shit like downhill and enduro and other weird 'sports' for unathletic bros who don't like pedaling but like shredding the gnar or something like that...sitting around making up kewl lingo
>>
>>968308
theres basically 3:
XC= usually ride 29ers and still mainly hardtails on courses that used too be somewhat flat but are becoming more technical.
Trail/Enduro= where ppl use most mountain bikes, enduro is just time trials on trails
Downhill= Apeshit crazy shit and cant even pedal up a driveway
XC are the roadies of MTB and still wear full lycra.
>>
>>968308
>Enduro
>for those who don't like pedalling
Ok m8e
>>
>>968308
You mean XC guys seem like roadies. Some of them are... not all though. MTBers in general are super open and friendly. Everyone says hello to each other when passing on the trail, doesn't matter what you are riding. It's just a happy go lucky free spirit attitude maaan. Roadies on the other hand seem like uppity snobs. The same kind of people you would find at a sailing regatta or dressage show.
>>
>>968316
A huge portion of roadies MTB, I don't think I've had many passing roadies not give a friendly wave?
>>
>>968321
sounds like you live in a nice place. when i pass by them on a mtb they either refuse to acknowledge me or I have had people actually make rude remarks.
>>
File: CAM00799.jpg (622 KB, 2560x1920) Image search: [Google]
CAM00799.jpg
622 KB, 2560x1920
>>968195
This.

>>968181
>pack a bunch of garbage
That was DIY cold protection for when sun hides in the skyline. Yes, no money for tech clothing. and no money for bike packing.
>9 mph
>~14 km/h
SI , pls, dont use other measurement system. And not, 14 km/h is shit. The only excuse to ride at that speed is going on a rubble 6~9% slope, wet or dry condition.

>desert
Mediterranean climate with long dry station, after a five years of drought, motherfucker. don't fuck with my wonderful valley.
>change tubes after 2 miles
<if something happen to me, surely it MUST happen to others

>i need hydraulic
Why? On my fred gravel and rubble 23% paths i don't need nothing better than a good mechanical shimano.

>this one-time
kek
>inner tube to protect Paint from rocks
No, in fact the bike is stored in a celler with another garbage and tolos, and another bikes, so i have to protect the Paint against the shit in storing.

Hey, but you need to look a fredest thing: this pic.
>>
Why is OP literally always a faggot?
>>
>>968174
>>968304
What's the point of wrapping non-drive side seat stays?
>>
>>968340
Heel/calf strikes.
>>
i just collect bikes i like the looks/colors and ride them in my driveway & in front of my house on my time off
>>
File: CAM00628.jpg (799 KB, 1920x2560) Image search: [Google]
CAM00628.jpg
799 KB, 1920x2560
>>968340
Protect Paint when bike is stored. I store it on a cellar with other stuff which can damage the Paint. Stuff like other bikes, Steel garbage, Paint cans, toolboxes, ovens, etc.
>>
I just do casual rides down from mountain summits.
>>
>>968253
I could do that on a road bike.
>>
EZ alpine rides
>>
>>968114
>example of a fun ride....your avg MTB'er isn't doing this
>why are 99.9% of [discipline group] not as skilled as the top 0.01%?
>>
>>968312
>XC are the roadies of MTB and still wear full lycra.
i was going to reeeee but then i realized i do wear a bib under my baggies when i'm riding casual.
>>
I actually get more fulfillment from scaling tricky ascents on my mtb than doing downhill.
>>
>>968355
As long as you also ride up that mountain.
>>
>>968407
Nah. Most mountains are much too steep, with ~800 m elevation gain over 3 to 4 km... carrying a 35lb bike to summits builds great fitness though.
>>
>>968409
Although of course I do a lot of pedaling as well, but hike-a-bike is my jam.
>>
>>968409
>carrying
I guess that's acceptable. Not as cool as riding, but the second best thing.
At least you don't take a lift or a chopper. That would be lame.
>>
>>968413
It's lame if that's all you do.. but why is it always lame? Bike park days or truck shuttles are fun too, get a lot more descending in a day... though 99% of the time I earn my vert.
>>
>>968422
>Bike park days or truck shuttles are fun too, get a lot more descending in a day
Fun is not the same as cool. But i suppose you're right. I have to agree with your post.
>>
>>968356
Good for You, you special snowflake, it's not a hard trail, almost anyone could. The problem with that is you would get passed up easily by any kind of mountain bike
>>
>>968355
Where is that? Beautiful.
>>
File: Capture+_2016-06-16-09-57-40.png (487 KB, 1436x1595) Image search: [Google]
Capture+_2016-06-16-09-57-40.png
487 KB, 1436x1595
>>968355
I wish I had a car. And a mountain bike that wasn't a single speed hard tail.
>>
File: 1466039660818.png (877 KB, 928x700) Image search: [Google]
1466039660818.png
877 KB, 928x700
>>969147
>1625 calories
jesus christ man i hope you're eating enough
>>
>>969147
>single speed hard tail mountain bike
Dude that's like stupid.
>>
here u go f@g

http://www.pinkbike.com/video/446669/
>>
>>969265
>that's like stupid
That IS stupid.
>>
>>968304
Its for aesthetics. You don't do shit like in the video

And bunnyhops off the curb can be avoided if you don't want chain slap marks

Your MTB is a glorified fitness bike
>>
>>969304
>Your MTB is a glorified fitness bike
projecting like a vacation slideshow

hey faggot you ever cash with your garbage-ass red deck? thought not. fuck outta here
>>
>>968355
>>968359
>>968409
A L B E R T A ?
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-06-12-22-52-12.png (3 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-06-12-22-52-12.png
3 MB, 1920x1080
>>969101
>>969383
>>A L B E R T A ?

Fug yes. We have some pretty magical wilderness here.
>>
File: xcsesh.jpg (2 MB, 2656x1494) Image search: [Google]
xcsesh.jpg
2 MB, 2656x1494
>>969383

Yea.
>>
>>969339
you mean that tom ross boss sligh deck in standard yeah

or do you mean that tier 1 infect deck everyone called trash and now argue is a skill intensive tier 1 modern deck becuase i played that to cash at the lgs as well
>>
>>968114

I ride my ridid MTB all over and see guys doing Strava segments on firetrails with their full-sus bikes. It's cheating if you ask me.

I feel bad for a lot of those guys though, because they obviously were keen to just roll the hills and get some dirt which they could have done on any bike. But the salesman sold them a carbon full-sus bike, SPD foot retention and worst of all, full kit which turns them into a walking specialized advert.

I also feel bad for people who roll down hills and holding on while their suspension does all the work is riding a bike.
>>
>>969654
>worst of all, full kit
Can't you just let me be comfortable in my Perl Izumis without hating?

This Fred hate thing is stressing me out a little, because i just can't find comfortable, durable cycling clothes that don't make me look like a fag.
>>
>>969669

Do whatever you want man but you'll still look like a fag.
>>
>>969669
i wear a bib under my baggies. most people do.
i'm also buying a full-sus santa cruz here shortly, which i have no business doing and is far too much bike for the type of riding i do. thing about that is this is america and i can buy whatever retarded over-the-top crap i want to. who gives a shit what some broke-ass college kid thinks about it?
>>
>>969713
>a bib under my baggies
why the fuck would anyone do that

why are MTB people so insecure?
>as you can see by my impractical clothes that snag on everything and flop all over the place, I'm definitely not a serious cyclist so please don't bully me!
>but I'm going to wear normal bike clothes underneath so that I overheat and my baggy shorts look like I shat myself
>>
>tfw live in England and mountain biking is basically a waste of time as you'll just have to drive to some man made theme park ride that you've bought a bike just to go on

Looks like it'd be amazing if you had wilderness to ride through, but the man made trails thing is a bit silly imo
>>
>>969835
>putting your downhill rig in your cage to transport it to the theme park and play in the mud until you're thirsty and then leave and Twitter the images of your dirt covered bike RRRAWWWR I'm a real man
But that's what the whole thing is about, stop taking the marketing so literally
>>
>>969835
>living in a shit part of England.
You should try living in the countryside: nice trails exist, if you know where to look.
>>
>>969835
Make your own trails m8. Mountain biking was really popular in NI before the gravel trail centres came. Get a folding army spade, pick, hammer and axe and build stuff....
>>
>>969910
Yeah let's just fuck up all the hillsides and cut mud ruts everywhere
>MTB logic
>>
>>969924
>Lets fucking tarmac everywhere

Road cyclist logic

Like some mud berms and kickers are gonna destroy the local ecosystem.
>>
>>969925
>It's not destroyed, stop being such a pansy
I'll be sure to tell you that when I break into your yard and shit all over the place

inb4 you're doing this where no other humans will set foot for centuries
>>
>>968114
nobody on any of the boards you post on likes you

commit suicide
>>
File: C hit.jpg (33 KB, 327x419) Image search: [Google]
C hit.jpg
33 KB, 327x419
>>969964
what if...sieg is actually just that bot that tweeted random shit at MAGA supporters?
>>
>>969808
1. the bib has to hold my nuts in place because i can't take your mom everywhere i go
2. :^)
>>
>>969964
This.

He has literally spent years of his life posting on a website where he is universally ridiculed and scorned. I would pity him if he didnt totally deserve his humiliation.

It's like, if a guy's wife cheated on him I'd say it'd be pretty fucked up to call him a cuck. But if he then chose to stay with her go around antagonizing and annoying anyone who advised him to leave her? Yeah that guy is definitely a cuck.
>>
it's fun to ride down hills, most people aren't interested in getting broke off trying to be an extreme shredder
>>
Riding a bike is like walking except you can go longer distances much faster. MTB should be about enjoying the journey not about using nature as an elaborate fun park.
>>
>>968114

That's the goddamn faggiest thing I've seen all week and I'm a freddy mercury impersonator who works in a mirror shop.
>>
>>969219
I had some water and trail mix
>>
>>969265
If you want to send me a cassette, rear derailleur, shifter, cable housing, and shift cable, I would be glad to put it on my bike. Otherwise you can fuck off
>>
>>968174
Nice tyre combo
>>
File: 20160512_161514-1.jpg (1 MB, 2933x1705) Image search: [Google]
20160512_161514-1.jpg
1 MB, 2933x1705
>>968199
I keep bending my metal cages or snapping my plastic ones...
>>
File: Capture+_2016-02-27-17-54-04-1.png (2 MB, 1440x765) Image search: [Google]
Capture+_2016-02-27-17-54-04-1.png
2 MB, 1440x765
>>968225
Where does trail riding on Cyclo cross bike fall on that scale?

Also this. Slicks are the shit and even if a trail is steep slee you can hit it if you know how to slide around without eating shit
>>
>>968129

>how many places like that are in burgerland?

A metric shit ton. It's a pretty big country.
>>
>>968114

What's so bad about taking a suspension bike on trails again? I got in a major car accident and it pretty much ruined my back, and having that rear suspension makes rides longer than an hour actually possible for me.

Sure, I could take a rigid something or other, but if I wanted to be that uncomfortable I'd stick some rocks in a backpack and torture myself by jumping up and down for a couple hours.
>>
>>971875

That's cool man, suspension is legit as a crutch. The issue arises where mountain freds imply that crutch is equivalent to being skilled.
>>
watch the mountain bike fails series (1st video "mountain bike fails part 1")on youtube.

Every crash is either from going too fast or jumping.

I do neither, so I hardly ever crash or get hurt. i don't even wear a helmet anymore.
>>
>>971903

I got sick of fucking myself up and bought a bike that almost forces you to ride stuck to the gound. Surly ECR can pop up and down stuff, but it's much happier rolling over stuff which suits me fine, because my favourite thing is going down and very importantly, up steep things.

So for me going MTB is now almost like a casual stroll, except I'm still rolling some heinous terrain.
>>
People who ride full suspension MTBs in the city are the absolute worst! They are slow as fuck, have their saddle low as fuck too and have to "jump" every curb and shit to prove how super cool and badass they are.
>>
>>972414
>slow
probably didnt lockout the suspensions. i've been known to drop the local dentist brigade on my 1x11 scout from time to time. sus locks out for a reason brehs.

>saddle is low
no excuse for this when dropper posts exist

>jumping curbs
gotta jump sumthin', man
>>
>>972414

Dude I ride a fatbike around in the city. I ride it everywhere I go. Jump? I don't even lift my ass.
>>
>>972442
>no excuse for this when dropper posts exist
Money, weight and maintenance complexity.
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 2448x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 2448x2448
my bike exclusively does downhill, fuck pedaling this big bitch back up the hill.
>>
>>968114
suspension. real mountain bikers don't use suspended bikes. that means hardtail and no fucking shocks. shocks are for pussies
>>
>>972832
>single crown
>dh
fuck it yolo
>>
>>972442
>i've been known to drop the local dentist brigade on my 1x11 scout from time to time
You've also been known to suck dick.
>>
For me its the fact that theirs barely anywhere worth going near by
>>
File: kappa.png (877 KB, 1069x1451) Image search: [Google]
kappa.png
877 KB, 1069x1451
>>972849
how's that s-works working out for you, dr. paulsen?
>>
>>972843
>Totem
I'll be fine, thanks. and since we're on the subject, wanna find me a double crown for a straight 1.5" steerer?
>>
>>969396
>>969397
Lol you guys take pics of each other or something? Or just major coincidence?
>>
File: 20160524_073722-1.jpg (1 MB, 2981x1677) Image search: [Google]
20160524_073722-1.jpg
1 MB, 2981x1677
>>968129
Enough to make tolerating faggot equestrians and oblivious shitty dog owners worth while
>>
>>972866
Pretty much every DH bike ever has a 1.5" headtube and runs a dual crown with a 1.125" steerer.
Thread replies: 111
Thread images: 22

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.