[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>new build >install brakes >see this Please help me. Wat do?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /n/ - Transportation

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3
File: 20160612_220009.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
20160612_220009.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>new build
>install brakes
>see this
Please help me. Wat do?
>>
>>967579

You'll need a new headset with a smaller cup.
That one is unusually large, I think.

It's kind've a pain to remove and install that particular bearing surface, especially without the appropriate tools. If you have a really kickass bike shop in the area, now is the time to make their acquaintance.
>>
>>967583
>new headset
Fuck.

I just installed this thing. I do it ghetto style because poorfag. It has sealed bearings, perhaps that's why it's so large. Aw... shit. You sure I can't spacer this somehow? Getting the headset out is no problem. Installing crown race/headset is hell though.
>>
>>967588

I have no idea about anything related to ghetto-rigging a headset. Never heard of such a thing. Sorry.
>>
>>967589
No, I meant is it possible to put a spacer between the calliper and the fork, so I can install the brake without re-installing a new headset? Or would that bring the brake out of alignment with the rim?
>>
>>967579

See that washer behind the caliper?

Put two more on there. Narrower ones that clear the crown race. and then say FUCK IT MAN I DON'T CARE
>>
>>967588

If it's a sealed bearing, I suppose you could just file down the edge where it contacts the brake.
>>
>>967592

Depends on the calipers.
Some have a lot of adjustability, others have very little.
>>
>>967592

Consider this and decide if there really is any risk

I'm no internet bicycle engineer but I know calipers come in significantly different lengths and those mm don't matter. Like converting from 700c to 650b on a roadie.

And I know I've seen both V and caliper brakes mounted on the REAR of the fork, totally different angle than standard caliper position

I think it's fine. I wouldn't have even remembered doing it if I was building up a bike

If you are worried though, ask on the bike mechanics forum on bikeforums. They'll nerd out hard on this one
>>
>>967592

bikeforums phag again

here is someone with the same problem

http://www.bikeforums.net/bicycle-mechanics/1033264-vintage-bike-modern-brake-caliper-caliper-hits-fork-crown-race.html
>>
If you ever have a bike problem, do this google search first:

>THIS IS WHAT IS WRONG site:bikeforums.net
>>
>>967593
That's what came to my mind. But is this okay to do safety-wise? I mean will that not hinder the brake from working? I assume with re-adjusting the brake pads, nothing could go wrong, huh?

>>967594
Uuuh... that is an idea, but I'd rather keep that as a last resort.

>>967600
pic related are the exact brakes I'm using. I try to think positive and will see if it'll work with spacers

>>967602
>>967603
Thanks bros. Will look into it.

I worked all day on this thing and was looking forward to attach the brakes as a last step for today, to imagine what it'll look like when it's all done, and then this shit happened. Ah, but when does it ever go smooth, right?
>>
>>967607
>but when does it ever go smooth, right?

When you build with components made within a decade of each other?
>>
>>967607
>Ah, but when does it ever go smooth, right?

my experience is it never goes smooth unless you are building a totally vanilla, time-period correct spec with nothing at all changed

And if I was going to do that why do they keep making all these cool weird bike parts to fuck with

Also, estimate your budget and then double it. lol
>>
>>967650
>estimate your budget and then double it.
this so fucking much. you need a special tool for so many little shits, in the end you would be better off bringing it to a bike shop for assembly.
>>
Mechanical engineer here.

All the fags telling you to replace the headset or fucking file down the edges of the bearing cup and the fucking bearing itself are nutso.

>>967593 has the right idea. Just stick a couple small washers in there to space the caliper further forward. The few extra mm spaced forward aren't going to matter, and pads are adjustable for a reason.

>>967608
Yeah but that's no fun.
>>
>>967653
>>provided that you're committed to either obsolete luddite shit forever

8 speed / friction shifting / square taper master race
>>
>>967667
this guy gets it.

>>967579
The few millimeters that you bump out the brake caliper won't impact anything. Use the washers. Also, post pictures. That looks like a sexy fork crown.
>>
>>967667
Mechanical engineers are the people you hire to stand around and point at the problem and scratching their heads or to panic at every instant

Then you hire someone who knows the industry with experience to actually solve the problems
>>
>>967588
Hmmm split crown race bro Google it
>>
>>967593
Bike shop Greasemonkey here, this is what we do in this situation. It doesn't always work but it's at least worth trying
>>
>>967742
post bikes or gtfo faggot
>>
Can you post the complete bike, OP?
>>
>>967588
Just file down the top of the caliper, it goes under the headset anyway so it wont matter how it looks. Just use a fine grade.
>>
OP here. Thanks for all the help guys. Appreciate it.

>>967732
>>967755
There is nothing to see yet really. It's still a work in progress. Will definitely post in PYBT when it's done though.

By the way, I decided to install a different headset from my previous bike. The one in the pic was really cheap and I can still keep it as a spare. I guess I'm too much a diva, because I just know I'd always look down to those washers and get triggered.
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.