[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Bike paranoia
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /n/ - Transportation

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 5
File: 1429304713116.jpg (273 KB, 922x882) Image search: [Google]
1429304713116.jpg
273 KB, 922x882
I just bought a new mtn bike for a little over 3 grand (which is a lot for me) and I can't stop checking the basement to see if it's still there. It's got a U-lock through the back wheel and it's attached to a support column with a cable.

I also bought a cheap door alarm but I'm scared I'll sleep through the noise.

Anybody else experience this? Anything else I should to do ease my mind?
>>
move to a white neighborhood
>>
>>966677
This. Every one in my town has a nicer bike than me so I don't have to worry about it
>>
>>966679
It's a very white city but I'm close to downtown where there's a healthy number of crackheads.

I guess my biggest fear is someone watching me ride it to my house and targeting me.
>>
Leave it inside your house
>>
>>966681
I doubt they'll break into your house for a bike in the basement.
>>
I'd say 3 grand is a lot for most people, for a bike.
>>
>>966675
Either philosophically accept that ALL "ownership" is temporary (everything right down to your bones is ultimately a temporary loan, someday you'll have to give it back to the earth) or if you can't get over it, sell the bike and get a cheaper one that doesn't burden you with the fear of loss.
>>
>>966683
>>966685
There's an outside door that goes right into the basement.
>>
^^^ (which I put the alarm on)
>>
>>966687
Yahh mann. All we need is like one big oneness. Peace and Love always.
>>
File: 1454623849669.jpg (565 KB, 1462x1462) Image search: [Google]
1454623849669.jpg
565 KB, 1462x1462
>>966681
>Not sleeping with your mtb
>>
>>966693
I really would, except then there's only 1 pain of crappy old glass between it and the bandits and it's very visible from the outside.
>>
>>966692
Yeah i suppose you're right. Everyone should patrol their own basement with an assault rifle just in case the boogy man comes to steal your stuff. This is definitely a healthy outlook based on reasonable risk assessments and not at all an NRA fantasy promoted to sell more guns despite the fact that there are already more guns than people.
>>
>>966696
Or maybe I could like...make a thread asking for suggestions on how to make it safer?
>>
>>966689
Leave it inside your room, next to your bed
>>
>>966699
I think I just might. Have to put the curtains up again though...then I can lock my lesser bikes up in the basement.
>>
>>966675
i live in NYC, had my 1500 bike stolen only a few feet away from me in a busy intersection

got a new one, i dont think anyone will get it at your house, put it in your room if ur real paranoid like jerry seinfeld

cables can be cut so easily too lol

get a HRC 63 chain that cant be cut with boltcutters
>>
>>966704
>HRC 63 chain that cant be cut with boltcutters
Do they come in 2 m though and for less than $100s of dollars?
>>
>>966675
>basement
>outside

Sorry to break it to you bro but this ain't a basement.
>>
>>966716
do you even reading comprehension?
>>
>>966706
yes heres the videos
get pewag chain with peerless lock less than $100

http://www.westechrigging.com/chain-security-chain.html

videos (i did A LOT OF research to give u this info btw):

retailer video with a smaller diameter chain:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLSUdZIRSJDBTh-nCL4p4m1_QwCXnVm2Lf

this guy explains this chain

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbCMpDFDqNo
>>
>>966703
That's what I've always done, I thought it was common practice
>>
What you need is the bike mine!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/673350631/bike-mine-the-ultimate-alarm-to-protect-your-preci
>>
>>966728

meme lock lol
>>
>>966728
Easy to notice and ridiculously easy to disarm.
>>
>>966734
really? thank you for the insight! i did not know that by looking at the product myself.
>>
File: s-l1000.jpg (198 KB, 1000x750) Image search: [Google]
s-l1000.jpg
198 KB, 1000x750
Every time you ride on the hoods, especially offroad and out of the saddle, remember this. This is what's supporting half of your body weight and keeping your face from slamming into the stem.
>>
>>966737
Is your name Yannick Read?
>>
>>966716
The house is on a hill
>>966724
Will investigate
>>
>>966699
THIS
>>
>>966675

Get your insurance agent to "schedule" it onto your home insurance policy. I believe it's around $60 a year and you get the full MSRP if it's stolen, even though it's worth half of that or less.

Also I wouldn't be worrying about your bike if you got people coming into your basement, unless you live in a apartment or something. Maybe consider moving somewhere else.
>>
>>966775
Just got back from a 2h ride, it's sitting comfortably by my bed.
>>966777
I don't have any insurance of any kind.
>>
>>966778
I'm glad the bike is comfortable. It might need some milk though, are you still lactating?
>>
>>966797
If by milk you mean dry wax lube, she's all good.
>>
>>966699
>>966775
>they don't bring their bike into bed with them
Love between a man and a bicycle is the purest kind.
>>
File: image.jpg (27 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
27 KB, 400x400
>>966743
Never thought of this. No more bunny hops for this anon.
>>
>>966743
I don't use that part of the bar
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.