[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Canoe Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /n/ - Transportation

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3
File: IMG_20160529_172201.jpg (2 MB, 3264x1836) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160529_172201.jpg
2 MB, 3264x1836
Hello /trans*/,
I want to talk canoes and canoeing with you all. Do you canoe? Where? What's your canoe? This thread is for all the J-strokers and wooden yokers out there. Come on in!

>pic related, my canoe
>>
Though the thread does belong in this board, I think /out/ would know about this more than /n/.

On topic, I once saw a huge canoe that sits 4 abreast. Don't know how the two in the middle paddle.
>>
I have a canoe. So much more agile than a row boat. And much more fun.

Usually take it out by the lake at my cabin during the summer. Occasionally in the sea by my home. Have done a few trips down different rivers with my brother. Plan to do an overnight trip from the cabin back to home this summer. Should be able to do ~175 km in 2 or 3 days down a gently flowing river right?
>>
Can kayaks be in this thread? I've been thinking maybe i should get a kayak to complement the exercise i get from cycling.
>>
/out/ is a better place to discuss canoes, and riding bikes for that matter.
>>
>>964002
Are you in Canada? That lake looks amazing. Location pls
>>
File: IMG_20160531_200425.jpg (861 KB, 3264x1836) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160531_200425.jpg
861 KB, 3264x1836
>>964273
I'm in Nova Scotia. It's a saltwater Bay along the south Shore; there are a lot of them. I usually stay in the bay or go up the rivers that feed into it.
>>
>>964170
Kayaks are of course welcome. I think there are more Kayaks near here than canoes; they are more suited to open water. But I have a girlfriend, so I enjoy canoes because it's easy to bring her along.
>>
I know how to sail, but I don't have much arm strength. How much of a problem would that cause while canoeing?

Also, if only bikes were on another board, we'd have more room for fun threads like these.
>>
>>964917
I don't think it would be prohibitive; especially if you got a light canoe and stayed in somewhat calm water.

What do you sail? I used to have a Hobie 16 catamaran with jib and mainsail that I sailed as a teenager on Lake Erie. Better days.
>>
>>964852
Tandem kayaks is a thing though, isn't it?
>>
>>965050
They are, but tandem Kayaks are rather unwieldy and not very graceful compared to a single kayak. Whereas a tandem canoe can be easily solo paddled by kneeling in the middle by the yoke, or used for two people in the seats. I think for two people, a canoe is the thing for the job.
>>
>>964917
I have the upper body of a cyclist and never had any problems while canoeing. As long as you take it easy you won't have problems. If you're alone strong head/sidewinds can become a rather big issue though, especially on larger canoes.
>>
>>964002
I grew up doing a week-long canoe trip on a flat-water river and a bunch of lake canoeing at summer camp. In Jr.-High, I moved to a region with mountains and started doing whitewater canoeing with a relative. I know everyone thinks whitewater is for kayaks but you can do canoes, too. As a kid I only got to do class-3 rapids and a class 4 once, then i got to high school and didn't stay with it (plus I had to borrow all the gear/get rides to the river.) I did raft-guiding in college one summer on a river with class-5 and 6 rapids, but that's a different animal.

I'd really like to get back into it with a C-1, which is a kayak shell but rigged like a canoe (you kneel instead of stuff your legs into the front end, and you paddle with a regular canoe paddle.)
>>
>>965097
Remember if you're trying to canoe into a headwind, you should sit towards the front of the canoe, or move your packs to the front. That way the bow will rest lower than the stern, which will cause the canoe to point straight into the wind. The opposite is true for going with the wind; lade the stern more heavily.
>>
>>964988
Flying Juniors, fun stuff, did it in the college sailing club.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.