[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Let's say you're going from point A to point B, the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /n/ - Transportation

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 6
File: Upgrades_0004_05-RCUK-5.jpg (175 KB, 1020x460) Image search: [Google]
Upgrades_0004_05-RCUK-5.jpg
175 KB, 1020x460
Let's say you're going from point A to point B, the terrain are 50% flats and 50% moderate hills (500m max). You will be riding on the road all the time. Sun is shining, no shade in sight and the temperature is around 25°C. You should maintain average speed of at least 30km/h, and are allowed to take 15 minute break every two hours. The catch is, it's just you and your bike. No water and no snacks. You can prepare however you want before the ride, but you can't take anything with you. You can drink/eat only after ariving to the point B.

What's the longest ride you're absolutely sure you could make in these conditions?

What's the longest ride you would dare to ride like that?

Have you ever attempted to go riding without water or snacks to see how far you could get?
>>
No snacks for a two hour ride is fine, just make sure to have had a good breakfast and something before leaving.

No drink? I don't particularly feel like getting a dehydration headache. MAYBE 45 minutes. Probably more like half an hour.
>>
One hour and glucose will drop to zero
>>
>>963382
Absolutely sure? Maybe just something like 30 km on road bike. What's the point of breaks if you're not allowed to drink or eat. 30 km/h is pretty fast and at 25° and under sun dehydration will come quick. And over two hours without snacks isn't cool either. I mean if you've had huge breakfast it's not easy to ride 30 km/h.

Shit thread. Sage
>>
>>963382
>Have you ever attempted to go riding without water or snacks to see how far you could get?

No, I usually just go out into undulating shit that I can't handle for that long, get lost, eat everything and then crawl home ending up staggering around like a lobotomised chimp.
>>
around 200km, massive dehydration from the 25C for 7 hours. But given I was hydrated beforehand I would just feel like shit the next day while I restored my blood plasma/hydration
>>
>>963389
>over two hours without snacks isn't cool either.
>being such a shitter you can't comfortably ride 6h high intensity without eating

W E W L A D
E
W

L
A
D
>>
>>963397
please do the internet a favour and take whatever device you're posting on and put it in the trash

>>963395
Are you sure you wouldn't pass out or die sooner that that?
>>
>>963399
what if I'm posting from the world's largest waste receptacle, and as such there is no "trash" sufficiently large for me to put it in?

yeah that's what I thought, tough guy.
>>
>>963401
make a bigger one, ez
>>
No water? 50 miserable kilometers. No food? 100km.
>>
>>963403
no
>>
>>963382
I have done this for around 80 km, but well hydrated and with a good breakfast beforehand. I guess by around 100 km it would start to get shitty and by 150 i would be completely wrecked
>>
>>963415
You could keep 30 km/h average still after 140 km?
>>
>>963382
wtf I average 20km/h with water
>>
File: Capture+_2016-03-02-21-11-59-1.png (2 MB, 1440x771) Image search: [Google]
Capture+_2016-03-02-21-11-59-1.png
2 MB, 1440x771
That sounds like The weather The first time I rode more than 50 miles in one ride. The only road bike I had was a fixed gear, and Like a dumb ass, I didn't bring any food or water because there was a drinking fountain along the 12 mile loop I was riding
>>
>>963422
Stop posting your hideous fucking bike please
>>
>>963426
At least the view is nice?
>>
File: Capture+_2016-05-23-10-30-28-1.png (1 MB, 1423x801) Image search: [Google]
Capture+_2016-05-23-10-30-28-1.png
1 MB, 1423x801
>>963426
No, Fuck you. I'll post my atrocity wherever I want.
>>
>>963382
Think as a kid I did a cruise around town with my friends like that for about 8 hours with probably close to 300kms covered. Wasn't going too hardcore and the bike carried me through. Amazing what high end wheels can accomplish. Few pedals and coast a whole lot at a decent pace.
>>
>>963432
Not possible senpai.
>>
>>963432
>kid
>cruise around town
>8 hours
>close to 300km
lol, fuck off
>>
>>963445
he did it on his mountain bike holding 60 km/h too
>>
>>963416
nope, after the 100 km i'm sure i wouldn't keep that pace
>>
>>963382
Your question is irrelevant since I'd never be so stupid as to go on a long ride with no water and no calories of any kind, unless I wanted to become severely dehydrated and perhaps end up in the ER (or dead).
>>
>>963382
>What's the longest ride you're absolutely sure you could make in these conditions?
2 hours fairly comfortably. 4 if I feel like really pushing it.
>What's the longest ride you would dare to ride like that?
0. I never ride without water. With water, the longest I've done is 305km and I plan to do a 400km+ this summer.
>>
>>963420
I average like 25 on my steel bikes, 31 or so on my carbon road bike. (with water) Try riding a faster bike.
>>
File: Peruvian Death Corps.jpg (199 KB, 585x455) Image search: [Google]
Peruvian Death Corps.jpg
199 KB, 585x455
>>963382
>I used to ride bare, with out any snacks or water
>mfw since I started carrying water I can't go on even the shortest goddamn trips without the bottle, I get thirsty literally the moment my asscheeks land on the saddle
>>
File: sweatingman.jpg (11 KB, 250x200) Image search: [Google]
sweatingman.jpg
11 KB, 250x200
>>963382
>sun and 25°C

id rather avoid riding in those conditions, and if I really have to I do <70km rides because I can only take 2L of water with me. Snacks are usually not much of a problem, water is. 100km without snacks is perfectly doable when setting off well fed.

fucking heat. At my ideal temperature of about 18-20°C with no sun and a little drizzle every once in a while I can last more than twice as long than at 25°C with the same amount of water and feel much more comfortable doing so. Anything over 20°C with sun is just awful, I hate summer.
>>
>no water

Impossible, last time I took only 500ml for 2h I got a massive headache.
>>
File: 2659920060_65b1fd22eb_b .jpg (422 KB, 710x1024) Image search: [Google]
2659920060_65b1fd22eb_b .jpg
422 KB, 710x1024
>>963670
Why don't you refill your bottles en route? I thought everyone did that.
>>
>>963694
I dont like to stop, ruins my flow. I did a group ride once where people stopped all the time and it was fucking terrible. Never again
>>
>>963385
>One hour and glucose will drop to zero

Is this true? I survived a 110 mile ride after a year of barely riding and didn't know why. But I was pounding cliff bars, fruit, and gatorade every hour. I was wondering if that is what saved me
>>
>>963694
Not him but I don't always ride on places where I can refill
>>
>>963782
nah if you eat a lot the day before the ride you can store like 2000kcal+ worth of glycogen in your muscles and liver, which is ~2 hours worth of calories if you go hard. And besides glycogen your body will also burn quite a lot of fat to get energy so I think you can go hard for quite long before getting fucked. Add to that a stomach full of carbs before starting your ride and you can last quite long. I know from personal experience I can do a 110km ride (about 3 and a half hours) of going quite hard without eating on the road. For 110 miles yes you would need to eat for sure, but definetely wont bonk after an hour unless you starved yourself beforehand
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.