[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
This is what the rich actually thinks of public transit
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /n/ - Transportation

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 6
File: Alexandra-Cheney.jpg (45 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
Alexandra-Cheney.jpg
45 KB, 200x200
http://www.laweekly.com/news/thrillist-publishes-then-quickly-takes-down-anti-expo-line-screed-6960431

Basically, "what if niggers come to Santa Monica because of the Expo Line extension?"
>>
>>961021
Do you want them in your neighborhood?
>>
I live in a relatively wealthy community just a ways south of a rust belt ghetto. We've had commuter train service to both towns for 160 years.

This is quite literally nothing more than a rightard meme, if there have been any incidents, they are astronomically insignificant.
>>
Ghetto niggers just get a cab to take them to whatever Walmart they're gonna try and steal from, before they move on to take shit from your porch.
F
Fucking Camden.
>>
Whenever I see a really beat up old clunker in my neighborhood, its usually someone who got lost going to visit their kid at the youth detention facility a few km away. Sometimes they ask for directions, but always just ask where the street is.
>>
I've heard this argument before from my white-flight suburban relatives. The funny thing is, I've seen crazy screaming homeless people at fast food restaurants in car-dependent fortress suburbs, so clearly we need to ban cars as well.

The argument kind of falls flat when you realize anyone can get a Geo Metro for $300 off Craigslist.
>>
>>961021
That's just an LA thing, in real cities people with money understand why more train lines are a good thing

Inb4 cleetus from Atlanta gets confused about what a city is
>>
>>961021
Doesn't this seem to be an all american problem? It seems like the gerneral consensus is: using public transport = poor.
I mean even walking seems to confuse americans. I got thrown coins at from passing vehicles while walking down the street in the US.
>>
>>961060
I don't want to be a /pol/tard, but I think North Americans are pretty stupid and inefficient, they build far away and then they must use cars to move around, also they are racists/elitists so they don't build enough public transport because ´´muh peaceful life will be destroyed by trasported hobos´´, they are a bunch of raging cagers that only think on their own lives.
>>
File: tram_why.png (1018 KB, 1363x422) Image search: [Google]
tram_why.png
1018 KB, 1363x422
>>961051
Barcelonafag here. We get the exact same argument from people opposing the unification of both tram systems, one of which runs through poor areas, while the other one runs through middle and upper middle class burbs, and the connecting bit would also run through some upper class quarters.
>>
File: inventoroftheclockitself.jpg (12 KB, 360x360) Image search: [Google]
inventoroftheclockitself.jpg
12 KB, 360x360
>>961051
>>961060
I rode the city bus all throughout high school. Why are you surprised people with money don't want them anywhere near them? It's fucking awful, homeless people and rude fucks everywhere blasting music and yelling across the bus. It was depressing coming straight from school onto the containment vehicle for the worst of society daily. Fuck transport. If I didn't live so far from school back then I would have gladly ridden my bike there and back.
>>
What can be done to remediate this problem? If anything
>>
>>961087
Who said anything about surprise? It's the obvious outcome if you design a populated area to be impossible to get around without a personal car. Everything separated by 8 lanes of traffic, huge ass parking lots everywhere, zoning laws that prohibit mixed-use development so it's impossible to walk anywhere useful even if you wanted, no bike lanes, no passenger rail, and sidewalks leading to nowhere. Add a shitty, slow, inadequate bus system to move around the poorest of the poor, and guess who's going to ride it, and who's going to choose to drive instead?

But not every city ended up like this. Public transport isn't shitty by definition. It's shitty if you design it to be shitty.
>>
>>961115
>What can be done to remediate this problem? If anything
Kill all niggers.
>>
>>961140
The only solution
>>
I've always found this to be the most retarded argument ever. In every city in America there are plenty of criminals that have cars, in fact, it would be pretty hard to go and rob a house without one. What are they gonna do, take all of the stolen goods onto a bus? If you streetview some of the shittiest streets and neighborhoods in my city (Chicago) you'll see that even the poorest of the poor still have cars. The only way to prevent people from coming into your neighborhood is to gate it.
>>
>>961138
No. Public transportation is designed to move people around. If you have shitty people being moved around, they will continue to be shitty wherever they end up. The quality of the metro service is irrelevant to that fact.

>>961154
Your example is wrong. You're correct in that there's still cars, but there's still significant numbers of people who don't have easy access. Particularly in the 14-20 range. The crime rate of the super poor in that demographic, especially in urban and suburban areas is very well documented. And there's loads of street crime, snatch and grab, shoplifing, graffiti, pickpocketing, strongarm robberies, ect, that don't need a car to haul away the loot.
>>
>>961163
The point of having good urban planning is quality of life. Accessibility is a part of quality of life. Accessibility means accepting that anyone who chooses to move around the city can do so.

99.9% of the people you see on the metro systems of major cities are employed, normal, decent people from all social classes. The 0.1% who play boom boxes or throw up or whatever are a fact of life, like the crazy drivers who road rage and follow strangers after some perceived slight on the highway.

Your reasoning seems to be that urban planners, instead of working on making cities liveable, should instead primarily focus on punishing poor people at any cost, even if it means making the city less liveable for its residents.

This is about as dumb as that politician in Florida who shut down all the publicly funded TB clinics because all those freeloaders were leeching off the taxpayers. The leeching stopped, and hundreds of contagious TB patients were pushed out to spread their disease. Because fuck common sense, we need to show those poors that there's no free lunch!
>>
>>961179
I didn't actually argue for any kind of metro or urban planning policy anon. Your bias is so severe that you're constructing entire arguments in your head out of nowhere.

I actually agree with you on most of your points.

I was making an observations based on easily available public criminal statistics.
>>
File: dem new worlders amirite.jpg (719 KB, 1940x1295) Image search: [Google]
dem new worlders amirite.jpg
719 KB, 1940x1295
>transport for poor people
>gated communities
>racial segregation/racewar

wew americans
>>
>>961307
>Why are you surprised people with money don't want them anywhere near them? It's fucking awful, homeless people and rude fucks everywhere blasting music and yelling across the bus. It was depressing coming straight from school onto the containment vehicle for the worst of society daily. Fuck transport. If I didn't live so far from school back then I would have gladly ridden my bike there and back.
This seems to be an argument against public transportation, no?
>>
>>961179
Boom boxes are kind of eighties. New York is one of the best transit cities in the country and the crime rate isn't even on the top twenty of dangerous cities.
>>
>>961356
What do the kids call them now? Because I see what I would call a boom box being played on the train several times a week. Teenaged kids use them to beg for money while dancing.
>>
>>961357

...that's kind of amusing, the only people I see running around with boomboxes these days are filthy hipsters.
>>
>>961077
Compare to Seoul Metro where every single line from 1 to 9 pass through poorer neighborhood at some point.
>>
I have mixed feelings about this issue. I live in Paris and having public transport everywhere is overall truly a blessing. That being said the extension of the RER train line from the Northern ghetto to Les Halles did bring a lot of crime.
>>
File: thomas Cook A321 G-TCDC.jpg (428 KB, 2953x1969) Image search: [Google]
thomas Cook A321 G-TCDC.jpg
428 KB, 2953x1969
Thomas Cook did this in 1941 using trains.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Package_tour
Hoards of the lower classes invading somewhere else.
Aircraft already provide Victorian levels of transportation in the US.
>>
>>961578
>>
>>961492
That probably has more to do with the Republic of Samsung being a slave pit for industries rather than a post-industrial state like Spain.
>>
>>961350
Different anons, anon. You're quoting the wrong post.
>>
welcome to merika, this is why whole cities and regions exist with little or no public transit infrastructure
>>
File: joker.jpg (44 KB, 576x432) Image search: [Google]
joker.jpg
44 KB, 576x432
>merika
>we'll fix a whole city and its suburbs with some lightrail :^)

merika, pls
>>
>>961767
Better than
>we'll fix a whole city and its suburbs with more lanes and more parking
like it's been for the last 70 years.
>>
>>961060
>I got thrown coins at from passing vehicles
They we're probably just throwing whatever they had at you and not trying to give you money. I've had food and drinks thrown at me from cars. I doubt that they thought I could use a beer and a ham sandwich.
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.