[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/bbg/ - Bike Buying General Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /n/ - Transportation

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 46
Old one reached the bump limit.
So /n/, I'm in a conundrum- I want to buy a new road bike for road rides and maybe a little racing down the road. I'm stuck between two Fuji bikes I work at my LBS so I get minimum 30% discount, but we have a partnership with Fuji so I could probably get them even cheaper, so the price isn't the issue.
I'm ton between (pic related) the Gran Fondo Classico 1.1 and the Sportif 1.1.
the gran fondo is carbon, has rim brakes which I prefer, pretty basic wheels -700x25, ultegra derailleurs and shifters, no rack mount whatsoever, and a fuckin gorgeous paintjob imo.
The sportif's aluminum with a carbon fork, has hydraulic disc brakes (on a road frame, which strikes me as odd and also i'm not as big a fan of, i would swap out for mechanical and sell the rest.), a similarly basic wheelset -700x28- but with better tires, rack mounts on the back, 105 derailleurs, and a paintjob that I like but not quite as much as the other one's.
I'm really torn, what are your suggestions?
>>
>>960483
Those two are pretty similar bikes - the main difference is that the Fondo has a slightly longer wheelbase and toptube, meaning the Sportif will have slightly snappier handling, while the Fondo will require slightly less effort of out you to keep it pointed in a straight line (beneficial on a long ride, and when riding at higher speeds).

Frankly I think you'll be fine either way, so go with your gut and get the Fondo.
>>
Sup /n/aggers, yet another bike noob here.

Is this worth 290 freedom dollars?
www.gumtree.sg/a-sports-fitness/hougang-punggol-sengkang/kolor-700c/1001654024700910673142409
>>
>>960554
Worth is not an objective quantifier. It all depends on you own situation; needs, requirements, expectations, finances, future plans, local availability.
>>
>>960556
I'm a broke person who enjoys recreational riding for general fitness. I'm currently riding a busted old road bike that I expect to start failing spectacularly and expensively soon (will probably need a new wheel set soon, at the least)
>>
>>960559
Doesn't look like that one's much better.
>>
I am very new to buying a used bike. what do u guys think ? https://visalia.craigslist.org/bik/5595947753.html
>>
>>960687
It would be sweet if you can get him down on the price some. Still kicking myself in the ass for missing a similar condition 820 for $25 on my local CL
>>
>>960690
thanks for the input, already sent him an email
>>
File: 00o0o_8znLRmSk9tp_1200x900.jpg (151 KB, 675x900) Image search: [Google]
00o0o_8znLRmSk9tp_1200x900.jpg
151 KB, 675x900
Is $90 for this Miyata bike a good deal or should I wait for a better one. The size is 21 inches which is small for a 6'0" rider.
>>
File: 00b0b_4A6UlmXLNiN_1200x900.jpg (144 KB, 675x900) Image search: [Google]
00b0b_4A6UlmXLNiN_1200x900.jpg
144 KB, 675x900
>>960711
>>
>>960711
>>960713

I would not pay more than ~$40 for that bike, but it's too small for you anyway. It would be workable but it has the shortest quill stem I've ever seen, so it's a nogo.
>>
>>960713
>>960711
>foam-covered bars
>non-aero brake levers
>stem shifters
>BLACKED chain
>way too small for you

I'd pass
>>
>>960729

>hating on bar foam

get out
>>
>>960733
You disgust me.
>>
Op here returned from the trip.
In the end I did 170km (canged the route and took a shortcut.

But it was babaric, i had to climb up a 550m mountain (in 6km) on the one route, on the way back it was a rolercoaster, going up and down, the navigation system said I had to climb 641m in total.
Next time I will plan my route more carfully.
>>
>>960747
Wrong thread
>>
I am new to biking and was looking for a Folding bike and saw this any good? http://www.amazon.com/Folding-Mountain-Foldable-Bicycle-Shimano/dp/B00635KAH4/ref=lp_3405101_1_20?s=outdoor-recreation&ie=UTF8&qid=1464303229&sr=1-20
>>
>>960785
What do you plan on using it for and how long does it need to last? The one you posted has a Fuckin awful folding mechanism.
>>
>>960785

No.
Folding bikes are terrible as a rule.

If you really want a folding MTB, Montague is probably the least awful.
>>
File: Allez DSW SL Comp.jpg (77 KB, 730x442) Image search: [Google]
Allez DSW SL Comp.jpg
77 KB, 730x442
http://www.burkescycles.co.nz/products/specialized-allez-dsw-sl-comp-2016

What do you reckon about this allez comp?

Negatives I can see are a crappy crank and tektro brakes, (but will they be that bad?) plus probably crappy wheels and tires, (i have some sciroccos and nice tires i could put on), plus external cabling (that's kind of a good thing imo), with a clamp on fd (what the fuck? is this for 1x memery?) and mike sinyard is a cunt (don't really care though). The frame looks awesome (i really like the brushed allum) and it's got a tarmac level fork, will this compare to a caad12? All the other road bikes at this price in NZ seem to be endurance geo. $1600 is US$1080

thx bros
>>
>>960873
Tektro brakes being terrible is a meme. They're a little less smooth, it's mostly that the new Shimano dual pivots are very good, and the pads are only so-so. It's not the end of the world to have Tektro brakes.

The FSA crank on the other hand, future availability of chainrings may be questionable, for what benefit?
>>
>>960883
Cost cutting obviously. I figure i'd just upgrade to a shimano crank if i ever shot the rings, but that might take years if i keep on top of the chain wear.
>>
File: 1457135482990.png (124 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1457135482990.png
124 KB, 500x500
Guys, I haven't owned a bike since I was 14. I'm 24 now and looking to get a cheap/used starter bike. I don't know what to look for in a bike or what makes a bike good.

I live in a city but not far from some paved hills so no off-roading.
I'm 5'9 165lb.

Any suggestions?
>>
>>960913
yeh loose sum wait fatty
>>
>>960922
I'm maybe 13-14% body fat.
>>
>>960913
Go on local craigslist equivalent. Get whatever takes your fancy.
Don't buy a cheap bike new. It'll be overpriced garbage.
>>
>>960925
What size wheels should I consider? What companies are good?
>>
>>960927
28"/700c/622
Bike brands don't matter that much. Components are what matter. Derailleurs, shifters, brakes. Most things you find will probably have Shimano components, who make everything from the shittiest shit to top tier components. For your purposes i think i you should be looking more at if everything looks good and is in working order. Always test ride to see that there are no obvious problems and the bike is comfortable.
For you, i'd estimate about a 21" frame, unless you go mountain bike in which case a smaller frame.
>>
>>960930
>>960927
Oh, and if you look at mountain bikes, 26" wheels is the old standard for a full sized wheel.
>>
>>960927
https://support.google.com/websearch/answer/134479?hl=en

53-57 cm, 21"-23" frame.

Get a 2nd hand from craigslist or local equivalent.
Test ride it.

Let some bike shop inspect it afterwards to check for possible defects.

If you buy cheap, 2nd hand is the only option unless you're content with crap which you should not be.
>>
>>960930
A caveat to the brands don't matter meme. Go look at bikes in your department stores, supermarkets, gas stations and such. Those are brands you will want to avoid on craigslist, unless you find something that's basically free.
>>
>>960930
>>960932
Which would be a better buy?
https://harrisburg.craigslist.org/bik/5590224060.html

https://chambersburg.craigslist.org/bik/5600746184.html
>>
>>960979
Suspension on bikes, brings energy losses.
So completely useless if th most off-road you'll do is paved hills.

Men's Mongoose AL DXR 21 looks like a kiddy bike.
Wouldn't even buy if free.

schwinn trail seems like a decent comfy bike.
But since saddle is that low you will be very upright which is not very aerodynamic. Like pic related.
It's not bad, it's just slower.

If you don't commute large distances it's fine.
A typical roadbike would likely be best for you.
>>
>>960979
Is sticking the seat post on backward like that actually acceptable?

>>960982
Mostly this. Except a too low saddle is actually bad for comfort because the weight distribution gets more bias to your but instead of your legs. But you can always raise the seat.
>>
Anyone know a good bike shop in Edmonton?
>>
Has anyone here bought or owned a Brooklyn Machine Works frame? I'm wondering about their quality and if I should buy one.
>>
>>960982
Lack of suspension can also cause energy losses
>>
>>960988
not acceptable on a good road bike it would be something you did because you were an idiot and bought a road bike that didn't fit, but on a POS beater it doesn't actually hurt anything.
>>
>>960988
backward seatpost clamp is acceptable only on frames whose geometry is laaaaaid back
>>
so /n/,

i'm not from here, but i've been lurking a bit and stumbled on this thread which suits my needs perfectly.

I'm looking to buy a bike for commuting back and forth to work. Problem is I don't know where to start looking, or even what i should be looking for in a bike.

So I guess i'm asking, where do i start when trying to buy a bike? Is there some wiki or some guide or video series i should look at to deterimine what would work for me?

I'll also give a few specifics about my situation to help anyone willing to give suggestions.

>It's about a 2 mile ride from my apartment to work
>There's a small side street I take that has me riding in traffic with cars, but the majority of the trip will be on the bike lane, which is fully paved
>Don't really plan on riding in areas where i'd have to cut through grass/dirt/gravel so i'm not really looking for a mountain bike
>Prefer something lightweight so i can carry it up stairs to my apartment to avoid exposing it to the elements/for security.
>Budget is around $300, and i'm open to buying second hand provided that i learn what to look for so i don't get swindled

With that in mind, there's just so many options i can see from searching around online. I've tried a few of my local bike shops as well, but they're so hard up on pushing out overpriced bikes that just look and feel so cheap to ride and don't have any employees or experts who can really help find something works for me.
>>
File: $_27.jpg (36 KB, 360x480) Image search: [Google]
$_27.jpg
36 KB, 360x480
I want to buy a new hybrid but this is the same price.

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-road-bike/moncton/2013-giant-cyclocross-road-bike/1168186852

y/n?
>>
>>961199
What seat position do you prefer? Do you like your back upright, like on a comfort bike, or are you cool with a sportier position like on a race bike?
Do you prefer geared or singlespeed bikes?
>>
>>961208

What kind of riding do you do? Personally I'd go for it if that's a good deal for your area. That price is kinda high for around here.
>>
>>961222
well the only bikes i've ever owned were all shitty BMX bikes from walmart, so i don't really have a preference.

I wouldn't mind a "sportier" position, but i don't really know if there are any benefits/detriments to choosing that over the long term

>>961222
>Do you prefer geared or singlespeed bikes?

Like i mentioned above i've only ever ridden single speed bikes, but i wouldn't mind gears if it'll help ease some of the effort required to maintain higher speeds.

If you can't really tell i know absolutely nothing about bikes. right now i'm leaning more towards fixed gear/single speed commuter bikes simply because i'm not all that knowledgeable about anything more advanced than that.
>>
Need recommendations for a front rack/basket to hold fishing box, beer, and bags. But mostly beer
>>
I just got into biking and a few days ago i bought a used kona paddy wagon and i think it's a little too big, i don't rock my hips up and down but i felt a little nuisance in my knees after a few days on it. Can i put the seat even lower than what the standard allows? like cutting part of the seat and that kind of stuff
>>
>>961230
Surly makes a great set
>>
>>961228
post up your local (and not too local or there won't be much choice) craigslist and your height and i'll have a gander for you.
>>
>>961234
You can remove the seat from the seatpost and use (a lot of) industrail zip ties and duct tape to attach it to the top tube and the seat stays of the frame.

Is it really too high though? Lots of things can cause knee pain. With your foot at the bottom of the pedal stroke, is there a very slight bend in your knee? If yes then it's not too high. If there's more than a slight bend it's too low. Definitely don't ride through knee pain or you will cause a serious injury.
>>
>post up your local craigslist
http://batonrouge.craigslist.org/bik/5588110649.html

It does include a few surrounding cities as well, but from what i can gather most people don't really know shit about the bikes they're selling, and the ones that do are asking more than what i can afford to spend right now

>and your height
5'11
>>
File: DSC_0218.jpg (1 MB, 3920x2204) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0218.jpg
1 MB, 3920x2204
>>961241
i think that there's a slight bend but i was getting worried about what's causing what i feel on my knee.
it's probably due to not doing exercise in quite a while.
Anyways the seatpost has these marks, do they mean i can cut them?
>>
>>961242
shit forgot to quote
>>961239
>>
>>961227
Dirt/Fine gravel trails
>>
>>961242
http://batonrouge.craigslist.org/bik/5558052881.html

I'd go and check this out. It's a lower end model from a very solid range of bikes. Nonetheless, it's a proper road bike and will shit on anything that isn't, for fun on the road. I reckon if you're nice you could haggle it down to 180, don't talk money straight away though. If you take the bags, reflectors and speedo off it could look pretty nice too.

It's the perfect size for you. It looks in very good condition (the drivetrain looks mint, so you shouldn't have to spent money replacing stuff). Go take it for a decent ride. Check the gears shift smoothly and the brakes both work well. Spin the wheels and watch the brake pads to see if the wheels are true. See if the wheels spin smoothly, or do they feel notchy (are the bearings good?). Hold the handlebar stem and the front forks and shake them to see if there is any play in the headset bearings. Take allen keys and check the seat can be moved up and down. If that stuff is all fine, in your shitty market, 220 could be acceptable.

The bike you linked will be heavy and slow, plus it has shit tier plastic components. There's no reason a young man should ride such a bike, it's for middle aged women.
>>
>>961249
Thanks for the advice. I saw that one and was considering it (along with one or two others that looked decent) but the biggest thing keeping me away from it was the age.

With the opinion of someone who knows what they're talking about, plus the advice on what to look out for, I'll definitely try to get in contact with the person and check it out.
>>
>>961243
That line means you must have at least that much post inserted, not no more than that much. It's not a maximum insertion line. You can put the post in as far as you want, there's no reason to cut it.

Your seat fore/ aft position might mess with your knee too. Set up the height so there is a very very small bend in your knee at the bottom of the pedal stroke. Ride with the ball of your foot on the pedal. Set the fore/ aft position of the saddle so that with the cranks at 90°, there is a vertical line from your knee to the center of the pedal like pic related. It might help to have someone with a weight tied onto a piece of string to help you with this. Set the angle of the saddle so it is level.

It will also help to stretch after every ride. Don't stretch cold but if you've been active before, you can stretch before as well. For your knees bend down and touch your toes for 15 sec (dont bounce), then hold your foot on your ass for 15 sec (do full set of stretches though, look it up).
>>
File: dscn4308.jpg (65 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
dscn4308.jpg
65 KB, 640x480
>>961252

>>961251
All good. Late 80s- late 90s road bikes are pretty dope. They last for ever if they're cared for. A decent one is definitely the best entry point into cycling.
>>
>>961208
Yeah, i'd go for it. It's definitely going to be superior to a hybrid. Not great spec, but alright i guess. $500 seems more fair though. Take that in cash and be nice, he aint gonna say no.
>>
>>961228
>i know absolutely nothing
That's exactly why I thought it would be good for you to start with figuring out some basic preferences along with those which you had already made clear >>961199 . If you're flexible when it comes to bike types, well that's fine too.

>>961239 made some good points. I have no clue about murrica price levels of vintage steel bikes and can't tell whether >>961249 is a bargain, but the frame is indeed decent tier and the overall condition seems alright, tyres are newish, drivetrain is clean (chances are the chain is rather fresh and everything will shift nicely). When you go to see it, it's still best to check whether wheels are true etc. what that anon said, and also check whether there is no play in bottom bracket by applying some sideways force to cranks by hand. Bad bottom bracket/crankset on an old bike is worse than a bad hub/wheel, because replacing the former can be more expensive than the latter.
>>
tfw Dutch manlet @ 5'9/175cm.
Most 2nd hand bikes I see have a frameheight of 61 cm.
Even worse is that I was diagnosed with HGH deficiency but my dad told me to eat more instead of going to the doctor a 2nd time.
>>
File: hehehe.jpg (153 KB, 1152x843) Image search: [Google]
hehehe.jpg
153 KB, 1152x843
>>961286
Being a manlet is good you have an advantage for climbing
>>
>>961301
>climbing
>In the fucking Netherlands
The biggest possible climb I could make is not even 330 meters.

And our highest hill Vaalserberg, is just a net climb of 110 meters.
>>
File: 3Gpey.jpg (18 KB, 452x339) Image search: [Google]
3Gpey.jpg
18 KB, 452x339
>>961321
>>
>>961199
Singlespeed.
>>
https://humboldt.craigslist.org/search/bik
are there any good bikes in my area? all seem like shit to me but I don't know shit so there's that.
>>
What do you guys think. i need a decent commuter for school. https://fresno.craigslist.org/bik/5574124246.html
>>
>>961448
this one too https://fresno.craigslist.org/bik/5588370432.html
>>
>>961448
This one's the better commuter of the two. It needs a non-shitty saddle and new seat post. And i'm not sure about the grip shifters. Could be shit, could be ok.

>>961450
This one's ok too.
>>
>>961396
the univega mountain bikes seem okay
>>
>>961301

Holy shit those teeth.
>>
>>961396
That depends on what you want the bike for, and what's your budget
>>
>>961208
>>961245

Well, it's not a particularly amazing deal, but it looks reasonable to me.
>>
>>961396

https://humboldt.craigslist.org/bik/5605894870.html

This may/may not be stolen- but I've had to clear out shit old tenants left behind myself, so it's not an unreasonable claim from the seller too.

Are bicycles required to be registered with the DMV/cops in your area? I'd probably go for it if I was looking for a beater And at $35 I wouldn't really care if it turned out to be stolen and I just returned it to the owner.
>>
Thinking of buying an almost unused 2015 GT Force X Carbon Expert from a local guy, any thoughts on this bike? Already ride an Intense Spider XVP which is fine for some trails, but not enough damping for an enduro-event I'm joining in a months time.

Price is about 3000usd, but don't pay much attention to this as I'm in an expensive country. Bike is almost unused, never been in a trail even once.
>>
Do you lads have a pastebin ?

I'm looking for an entry point into researching
>>
>>961458
>https://fresno.craigslist.org/bik/5574124246.html
thanks for the input.. do u know of any other bikes i should look out for ?
>>
Just sold my car and looking to buy a bike for commuting around 5 miles a day on roads and a crushed gravel rail trail. Do you guys think I should go with a hybrid? Guy at my bike shop wants me to get a Trek Verve for $400, but thats at the high end of my budget.

Im 6'2, 200lbs if it makes any difference. Thanks /n/ignogs
>>
>>961496
For that budget you should buy used.
>>
>>961497
Anything to look for/avoid in particular?
>>
>>961500
A used soma double cross disc would fit within your budget

They sometimes come with barcons, as long as you avoid those you should be good

Used RS805 equipped specimens are going for around $375 around here
>>
>>961500
Post your local CL
>>
about to check this bike out in a few hours. Need a more experience opinion, i am a novices

https://fresno.craigslist.org/bik/5591351176.html
>>
>>961507
>They sometimes come with barcons, as long as you avoid those you should be good
whoa there m8, barcons are great for commuting actually.
>>
didn't see a separate parts/gear so

trisuit advice/suggestions?
>>
>>961286
just move out of your country of giants to anywhere else in europe and be a person of decent height
>>
>>961496
Looking at this on my local craigslist, 100 for an iped folding bike.

Thinking about going folding so I can ride the train with it at any time, otherwise I can only ride off peak to go into the city
>>
>>961654

As a guy who has a folding bike fetish, never, ever go cheap for folding bikes. The lowest you should go is Dahon, and they're pretty shitty.
>>
>>961654

Post your local craigslist so we can take a look. Does it have to be folding? Anything you can tell us about what you want as far as durability, ease of maintenance, performance etc.?
>>
>>961255
KOPS is a meme
>>
I have a Merida Big Nine that I love, but I'm thinking it is now time for a roadie. The question is, should I go for an endurance type frame or straight to a racer?

I want 105 at a minimum but can't decide if it is worth paying a bit more and go carbon.

The budget is anywhere between $1000 and $2000- I can't decide- and outside of weekend jaunts, I'd be commuting about 30 km a day.

Any advice?
>>
>>961737

IMHO unless you're gonna go balls to the wall on it carbon isn't worth it. Are you going used or new?
>>
>>961734
no, sheldon is a meme
>>
>>961740

New.

I am in a pretty remote area so either the market is small, or postage eats a fair bit of any savings. Plus I'm pretty new so would most likely get bent over on price.
>>
>>961759
consider china carbon- ive taken 3 ft drops on mt fs mtb and its held up fine.
>>
>>961576
175 is small all over europe. I'm 185 and pretty average.
>>
>>961762
I'd say anywhere in europe (and the rest of the white world), except the lowlands, 185 is pretty much above average, and 175 is probably on the left slope of the bell curve but still decent (except spain, spaniards are somewhat shorter than the rest of europe I guess).
>>
>>961737
>The question is, should I go for an endurance type frame or straight to a racer?

Are you young? Are you fit? Are you naturally athletic? Can you bend over and touch the floor?
>>
>>961761

The problem with those is that qc is all over the place. I've had those frames break just from my weight alone.
>>
>>961812

Yes it is and no you haven't.
>>
Is there a reliable place online to find a stem for an 86 Schwinn Mirada?

Or also, there's a guy in town selling his Schwinn Crossfit for $80. It looks to be in good condition, is that a fair price?

I just do light touring with mostly paved road/mups and some gravel. I don't go really far, my longest so far on my Mirada is 80 miles. Would the Crossfit work for that?
>>
>>961857
Any mtb quill stem off ebay.

No.
>>
>>961859

No it wouldn't work or no it's a bad price?
>>
New to biking need some thing to go to school the road to school is paved until the last mile were its gravel AM 5'8 and 160 pounds found these bikes want to know if there ok wiliing to spend 250 https://fresno.craigslist.org/bik/5581062570.html
https://fresno.craigslist.org/bik/5609808250.html
>>
>>961930
>>961857
Crossfit, as in the old steel mountain bike will be over 20 years old, is not necessarily an improvement.

Crossfit as in the wallmart BSO is even worse.

>>961812
Pic of broken frame, and relative size of ass for proof anon.

>>961737
Your posture and road quality should guide you here. Way out there usually means poor road conditions. For commuting, you'd want some cargo capacity.
>>
File: eurovelo.png (167 KB, 960x935) Image search: [Google]
eurovelo.png
167 KB, 960x935
Looking for a new road bike for very long tours
Don't carry much stuff, just some spare clothes, a few tools and parts and some other basic stuff, up to 12 kg at most (26 pounds in human language)
Pic related is where I'm planning to tackle some roads and hopefully nice climbs

Thinking of some endurance road bike with discs like trek domane or cannondale synapse, are they good?
Could go with aluminium frame though prefer carbon feel
>>
There is someone selling a Panasonic Sport LX for 95 near me. Its in great condition. Has a new seat, the grips look new, no rust. You guys think it is reasonably priced?
>>
Hi, I'm a noob and I want to build a bicycle from frame up just for the experience.
I want to commute 5 miles to a coffee shop and maybe go ride a mostly paved parkway road on weekends.
Perhaps convert into ebike later.

What frame and basic parts should I start with?
>>
>>962199
CX
>>
Any Philly guys here? Looking to get my first bike for general commuting around venues in the city. Any recommended stores to get a used road bike? I'm pretty short (5'8", pretty short legs) so I think I'd be better suited buying something in person. Just to make sure it's all sizes correctly. Really a novice to buying so any suggestions on what to look for/avoid when picking up a first bike are appreciated.
>>
>>962358
You want an old steel frame (preferably medium or light brown in colour), internally geared hub, inverted north road bars and a Brooks B17 saddle.
>>
>>962363
>I'm pretty short (5'8", pretty short legs) so I think I'd be better suited buying something in person.
With that size, get 52-54 cm frame, maybe 54 is big if you have short arms.

I heard some rule that the bike can fit you it your nutsack doesn't touch the top tube when you are standing on the floor, there should be a little clearance between the tube and your balls, but not much.

If you don't know the frame sice, take a measuring tape, usually the frame size is indicated by top tube (horizontal) lenght, and also you can know more or less the size by looking at the head tube lenght, you will need something with sorter head tube.

For the rest, look for break parts, rust, bent forks/wheels, check the brakes...
>>
>>962358
Buy a high quality old bike in disrepair and strip it down to the frame. Touch up the paint, completely overhaul it, repacking all the bearings in new grease, cleaning and polishing everything, and replacing the cables, brake pads, bar tape and chain.

You'll learn a lot more, spend a lot less and end up with a far superior bicycle than if you try to build from parts.

Buy a moped to tinker with if you want a moped.

Post up your local craigslist and ill find you such a bike.
>>
>>962363
I'd still recommend buying off craiglist. You get easily the best deals and your local craiglist is really good. You want to check it out in person to see if it rides well and fits you anyway + to haggle them.

https://philadelphia.craigslist.org/bik/5611276534.html

High end old road bike. Condition not amazing so they would drop price, I wouldn't buy it for more than $150 if it doesn't ride well as is though (it could well ride perfectly and just need new bar tape). These are really nice frames.

https://philadelphia.craigslist.org/bik/5604537998.html

Well this has been completely restored and will give you 0 problems, if you want a new bike but also a sexy old bike this is it, damn this is lovely. Quality frame, quality parts, and being sold by someone who is clearly a good cunt so will give you a deal if you're nice.

https://philadelphia.craigslist.org/bik/5574276446.html

If the above are too large, this could work with a longer stem.
>>
File: $_75.jpg (23 KB, 430x286) Image search: [Google]
$_75.jpg
23 KB, 430x286
Sup, I am looking for my first mountainbike to bike to work.

The distance is about 30km of gravel road.

I am a total newbie regarding biking. I am.looking into used mountainbikes Is 220€ a good price for pic related?

I should add I live in south Germany
>>
File: $_75 (1).jpg (27 KB, 430x286) Image search: [Google]
$_75 (1).jpg
27 KB, 430x286
>>962573
I can't link fucking eBay so I'll paste the description.

sehr gepflegtes Fully, Rahmenhöhe rd. 50 cm, Modell CSP 02, Hersteller: CYCLECRAFT, Bremsen SRAM 9.0, Gabel: Rockshock J3, Schaltung SRAM 9.0 SL/SRAM X-9, Lenker/Vorbau Specialized, Felgen Marvig, kein schweres Gelände - überwiegend für leichte Touren benutzt.

I am 5'11(1.80m), 77kg(155 freedom units ¿?)
>>
Is Planet X RT-58 Alloy any good? It's the cheapest road frameset out there that doesn't look butt ugly.
>>
File: 1323124716225.jpg (40 KB, 599x600) Image search: [Google]
1323124716225.jpg
40 KB, 599x600
What is the difference between the Diamondback Sync 1.0, 2.0, 3.0, 4.0 ?

They seem pretty negligible and not worth the extra money for what appears to be a colour revision
>>
>>962659
3 & 4 have hydraulic brakes, 1 & 2 have mechanical brakes.

3 & 4 have semi decent tires, 1 & 2 no name shitters

2, 3 and 4 have an alright fork with lockout, 1 has a shitty fork with no lockout

They have progressively better derailers shifters and cranks through each model. Each increment is worth it.
>>
>>962663
>Each increment is worth it

For how much of a price increase?
2.0 is about £340, 3.0 is about £350 and 4.0 is £400
>>
File: 00P0P_1bVzSPLTuUa_1200x900.jpg (136 KB, 1200x676) Image search: [Google]
00P0P_1bVzSPLTuUa_1200x900.jpg
136 KB, 1200x676
How much would you pay for this bike ?
>>
File: 00g0g_7ChlKzsNQfm_1200x900.jpg (100 KB, 1200x676) Image search: [Google]
00g0g_7ChlKzsNQfm_1200x900.jpg
100 KB, 1200x676
>>962708
>>
>>962708
10$
>>
File: 00z0z_33FilkxkQfA_1200x900.jpg (58 KB, 507x900) Image search: [Google]
00z0z_33FilkxkQfA_1200x900.jpg
58 KB, 507x900
>>962712
it is 63cm and the guy is asking $200. Wondering what you guys think.
>>
>>962714
$200 is an ok price if it's in good shape.

Offer $150
>>
>>962363
look at these

https://philadelphia.craigslist.org/bik/5554244659.html

https://philadelphia.craigslist.org/bik/5575423355.html
>>
>>962674
>>962659

If you want to actually ride off road, go no worse than 3.

4 is still in very low end entry level quality levels.
>>
>>962714
That's it? A bike like that would be $500 at least where I'm from.
>>
>>962714
That's a pretty reasonable price
>>
File: scott_yz_tmo.jpg (83 KB, 509x319) Image search: [Google]
scott_yz_tmo.jpg
83 KB, 509x319
anyone have any experience with these types of bikes? are they worth getting and do they have any use besides dirt jumping
>>
>>962820
their alright for dirt jumping and thats it.
Tbh the money you spend to get a good one can get you a decent bmx and set it up for dirt.
>>
File: 00u0u_9rvPdw7oGJg_1200x900.jpg (167 KB, 1200x900) Image search: [Google]
00u0u_9rvPdw7oGJg_1200x900.jpg
167 KB, 1200x900
>>962828
how much would you spend on this 2013 norco havoc than
>>
>>962573
>>962573
Guys plz
>>
>>962714
Are you at least 6'2? It's a decent bike some some decent (some not decent) parts on it, but be aware the chain and cassette and possibly chainrings needs replacing. $200 is fair, haggle for 180, but definately make sure it atleast rides ok.
>>
>>962573
It was a great mountain bike in it's day, but the question is, is it right for what you need?

First, does it fit? If it's the wrong size, it doesn't matter, just pass.

Second, parts for the rear suspension are probably going to be difficult if not impossible to find. If it's not in great condition, skip it.

Third, do you want a rear suspension at all? If it's just gravel, maybe you'd be better off with a lighter bike with front only, or no suspension.
>>
>>961806
I checked, I'm slightly above avarage. For men 181, for women 167. Norway.

I'm closer to avarage than the 175-guy
>>
>>962832
that one looks almost bone stock aside from the sprocket, its prolly worth about 200ish.make sure you check the front fork stanchions very closely for cracks especially behind the arch because those rst forks had a tendency to crack there.
>>
>>962756

Could you suggest any other entry level brands and makes?
>>
This bike any good https://fresno.craigslist.org/bik/5588384965.html
>>
so my dad has an old schwinn le tour 3, only problem being I need wheels for it and it would probably need a general tune up (back break won't work.) as well as new handle bars and any other general mantenence.

How much do you guys think it would run me to get it fixed up. Everything's in working order except for some minor surface rust.

Also I took the derailleur apart to clean off some of the rust and now can't get it to mount back onto the spring. I'm not sure what's the problem with it. I know this isn't a maintenance thread but I'd appreciate any help.
>>
https://easttexas.craigslist.org/bik/5600010493.html
is this good or is it complete shit?
>>
>>963137

It's interesting. Price is fair, assuming the drivetrain & bearing surfaces don't need immediate overhauling.
Spec is solid.
Frame will ride really nice but a bit on the heavy end of the spectrum. Pretty decent gravel-grinder build. Ergo-bends are a bit unfortunate.

Kinda wild that they put a time-trial cassette on it.
>>
>>963137
It's great if you want to sometimes ride gravel or light trails (which is fun). If you just want to ride on the road, get a lighter road bike.
>>
>>963119

Check to see if there's a bicycle co-op near you. They typically have plenty of random bike parts from the bike boom(70s and 80s.)

The one I frequent sells 5 and 6 speed wheelsets for 20-30 bucks, not too bad. You can usually install the parts that you buy there for free, they will most likely have any tool that you could possibly need and can probably also watch over you to make sure you don't fuck anything up.
>>
>>963118

Good bike, but 90s MTBs are very undervalued right now, you can regularly pick up a comparable bike for under 100 bucks.

This one is roughly a tier lower in terms of drivetrain parts, but it's a quarter the price of that Panasonic:
https://fresno.craigslist.org/bik/5598141764.html
>>
I'm looking to upgrade from a hybrid bike to a road bike. I'll be riding it on flat, paved roads. Would any of these be a good choice?
https://boston.craigslist.org/nos/bik/5609034623.html
https://boston.craigslist.org/nos/bik/5608726562.html
There were a lot of 54cm bikes but I'm 5'7" so I don't think those would fit me.
>>
>>963198

Both are solid bikes, keep in mind that the Cannondale is a cyclocross bike though. Cantilever brakes and knobbly tires.

For pure road I would take the Bianchi, for year-round commuting in boston the cross bike would be better.
>>
This a good deal?
https://philadelphia.craigslist.org/bik/5595319964.html
>>
File: 00v0v_cuFFjDLRnfZ_600x450.jpg (51 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
00v0v_cuFFjDLRnfZ_600x450.jpg
51 KB, 600x450
https://fresno.craigslist.org/bik/5573690614.html got bike for 70 bucks was it a good buy
>>
>>963204

Decent, but no "racing quality" bike has stem shifters. It's a low-mid tier 80s bike boom bike, well worth 100 bucks if you're going to ride and not flip.

>>963205

Good buy, pretty much the ideal commuter once you put city tires on it.
>>
>>963220
Thanks any suggestions for a brand of tire or just get any
>>
>>963229

Schwalbe Marathon and Marathon Plus are heavy as fuck but flatproof(I've done Vancouver to the Mexican border three times on the same set of Marathon Plus tires, not a single flat and they don't seem close to wearing out.)

Panaracer Paselas are also great 26" tires.
>>
>>963229
>>963232
Marathon Supreme might be worth consideration, slightly less puncture resistance than the standard marathons but more speed.

Keep in mind any pair of marathons will cost more than you paid for the bike.
>>
>>963232
Thanks for info Marathon Plus sounds really fucking Neto
>>
File: trek.jpg (73 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
trek.jpg
73 KB, 600x450
just bought this trek for $72. was it a good buy?
>>
>>963235
No
>>
>>963265
why?
>>
>>963269
Put more Money into it than its worth to make it rideable for 6 months

But you're the one selling it trying to flip it so come u with a good story and some sucker will buy it
>>
>>963235
don't listen to sieg. that is a good buy. you have a working bicycle...for $72. would definitely make a good bike to commute on short trips or go to the park or go exploring or whatever you want.
>>
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-mountain-bike/saskatoon/2013-kona-dew-plus-mens-bike/1170327394?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

what do you think of this?
Seems like a good bike, I don't know about the price, this years version costs 700CAD new, and this is 3 years old at 475CAD, what do you think a good offer would be? in my mind 300 seems fair or 325.
note I am 6'1"/185cm
>>
>>963315
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-mountain-bike/saskatoon/specialized-rockhopper-all-terrain-mountain-bike/1169111021?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

or this, I dunno it's kinda rusty, but I can afford, also it looks like older model. I really need bike though and literally only have 375 dollars D:
>>
>>963317
>. I really need bike though and literally only have 375 dollars D:

I'd suggest it's better to go for the lower priced one then, so you have some budget for accessories (lock, lights if you need them, etc)

No idea how old the rockhopper is but I'm thinking $250 may be a steep ask for it.
>>
>>963332
Well I am in my late 20's and living at home again... upside my expenses are covered until I find a job, the downside I can't get to a job without a bike or walking anywhere from an hour to 4 hours each day,,, serious nothing nearby :(

I found the year for the rockhopper, it is 1998, so I think not good at all as a bargain

what would you price the Kona at?
>>
>Haro flightline one.
Just ordered this piece of art, what do you guys think of it?
>inb4 poorfag
Yeah, I am. I live in Russia (inb4 cyka blyat) and the bikes here are overpiced as shit.

So, for 270$, how much did I fuck up?
>>
>>963417
Don't even think about doing anything more than commuting from point A to B in that, treat with kid's gloves and it might last a year or two.

270$ is not terribly overpriced, it's just a low price to pay for a new bike. In other places you might have got some slightly better components, but still shit.
>>
File: brooklyn-m-w.jpg (24 KB, 660x99) Image search: [Google]
brooklyn-m-w.jpg
24 KB, 660x99
Are they a good bike brand or are you just paying for a bike made by Pharrell?
>>
>>963431

Had to google because literally who?

It's complete fucking garbage. Walmart-tier BSO trash at TKEKTKEKTKEK prices.
>>
>>963442
>Walmart-tier BSO trash
How can you tell?
How can I pick a bike that's good quality?
>>
>>963417
You got about the worst thing that still could legitimately be called a bicycle, but getting anything new at that price takes some work.

It's not an offroad bike, because the shock is complete garbage. Don't try to jump things or take a 10 centimeter pothole or curb drop with that.

>>963431
The're more famous for wrapping a tark bike in buffalo leather than on the quality of their bikes.

I've never actually seen one in the wild, but I suspect Maxway on a good day, or Waterford on an average day could beat them.
>>
>>963421
That is my first bike, so i'm fine with that.
Anyway, if, by any chance, after, say, a year or so, I will try to do some trails and shit, what is the starting point (money-wise) for something half-descent?
500$ i guess, amirite?

The prices for double-suspension here are complete fucking garbage, you can not find anything (i mean like anything, even mongooses with full suspension) for less then 700$.
>>
File: urbane-11.jpg (33 KB, 600x351) Image search: [Google]
urbane-11.jpg
33 KB, 600x351
Toronto cyclists, how are these bikes for hard riding (on gravel, off curbs, on rough roads, basically city commuting)

http://www.ucycle.com/product/urbanite-lakeshore-3228.htm

can't find any reviews about them, they felt okay when i test rode them, but i'm a new cyclist and can't really tell quality
>>
>>960483
Has anyone every successfully bought a bike from bikesdirect?

Did you actually get through the transaction with exactly what you ordered and no problems?

I pulled the trigger on a bike and am trying to get them to ship it. They've had my money for over a week and haven't shipped. I'm sure they will eventually but damn.

I googled for their phone number and found thousands of people trying to find out how to ring them up and complain about their shit service or wrong orders.
>>
File: 71pJbdcoWhL._SL1500_.jpg (141 KB, 1500x887) Image search: [Google]
71pJbdcoWhL._SL1500_.jpg
141 KB, 1500x887
>>960483
I'm wanting to try riding a road bike for exercise but am not sure I want to invest a lot of money in it at first. Would anyone recommend this bike as an entry point? http://www.amazon.com/Vilano-Aluminum-Speed-Shimano-Black/dp/B005EFTPXO/ref=sr_1_2?s=outdoor-recreation&ie=UTF8&qid=1464932439&sr=1-2&keywords=Vilano
>>
>>963644

That would be a POS, and it'll probably come in poorly assembled, making things even worse.

Go used, and either work on it yourself (not rocket science) or take it to a shop. Post your craigslist and budget and we can take a look at what's decent.
>>
>>963656
https://dallas.craigslist.org/ I'd like to stay in the $300 range, thank you in advance
>>
>>963661

Do you mind learning a little and working on it yourself, or getting something that's probably in good shape? I'm sure I (or someone else) here could just write up a quick basic checklist for you to go over to make sure things aren't screwed up. Do you have any friends that are into cycling (that are clearly knowledgeable) ?
>>
>>963661
how tall are you?
>>
>>963664

And this. I forgot that most people are taller than me. What's more important is probably your inseam. How much distance from the ground to your crotch?
>>
>>963663
I wouldn't mind learning about maintenance at all but I do not have any friends that are into cycling, seems like I could learn the basics online though. I'm 5'8.
>>
>>963673

Inseam? I'm like 5'11 with a pretty short 27in. Fitting bikes is always a pain in the ass for me, and I need to take a sewing machine to most of my pants.

https://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/bik/5616785427.html

That actually looks like something I would get for shits and giggles. Granted I went for a pretty long ride, and got roped into going to a party so I'm pretty drunk at the moment.

You'll want to google a little about proper fit, and check the major points like drive chain wear, look for cracks/dents in the frame and fork etc.

(Jew time) I'd try getting him to drop by $50 at least. Also keep an eye out for things that aren't bad, but overpriced. If it sits around long enough, you can usually lowball the shit out of em if you approach em right.

I'm sure someone will tear me a new asshole for suggesting it though.
>>
>>963677
31 inseam, and thanks. Are there brands that I should stay away from when looking at used road bikes? Or is it all about model/condition etc...
>>
>>963679

As a general rule, stay away from anything that has been in wal mart or a department store.

Condition is important too, obviously, but department store bikes are pretty much uniformly shit. Not that there aren't kinda crappy frames from big name brands, but you get the idea.
>>
>>963677
>5'11
>27in
Huh? How?
I'm 5'6" with a 30 inch inseam
>>
First time on this blog and I don't know shit about bikes.
I could buy this bike for 90€
It's in decent conditions and I really like it.
However, I would use it mainly for city transport.
My city has a good net of bike lanes and for the rest I use roads, so I don't think I will be putting much strain on it.
Since this board is completely filled with bikes, I assume this is a regular topic or at least has been discussed a lot already.
Is it a good idea to buy a road bike for the city even if you are careful?
Can you just replace the handlebar so the position isn't as forced?
Is this bike worth the price? If not, how should I find a better deal?

Thanks!
>>
>>963683
You don't appericate a nice bike until you train on a gmc denali for 2 years.
>>
>>963718
>blog
fuck off facebook
>>
>>963721
I meant board
>>
>>963718
If you like it, it's in mechanically well working condition and it fits you, then sure, get it. It was clearly too big for the previous owner. From the picture it looks like it will need some work done, though. That brake cable routing is atrocious.

Personally i'm a big proponent of drop bars, even for commuting and casual riding. They may look scary for a newb, but i find they actually tend to be more comfortable than flat bars. I know there is at least one anon on this board who vehemently disagrees with me. Take from that what you will.

Replacing the handlebars on that bike shouldn't be much of an issue, as long as you can find some caliper brake compatible levers. In a pinch, i guess you could still use the road levers, but then you would be getting into troll bike territory.

>>963719
Point.
>>
>>963718

That thing has downtube shifters for changing gears, they are a bit harder to use.
The problem is, in city traffic, where you have to stop every 50m, you're either gonna finick with them all the time or have to do hard starts in high gear.
I mean, it's all doable, but just a warning.

Also, unless you're really into drop handle bars, get a flat handle barred one, it's much more comfortable and safe for casual city riding.
>>
>>963737
is it easy/cheap to change this handle for a flat one?
>>
>>963736
This bike is size 55 and my leg length is 83-85, would you say it fits me?
>>
>>963744
Sounds not entirely unreasonable.

You should be able to stand over the frame without resting on the top rube, and you should be able to reach the brakes from the hoods without feeling uncomfortably stretched out.
>>
>>963746
great! thanks.
overall it seems like a decent cop but not great
>>
>>963736
Just so I know what to fix, why is the brake cable routing atrocious?
>>
>>963749
There's an acute angle where the cable housing attaches to the hood, that's not cool.. The cable should go under the bars and on the other side if the stem. The cable housing is too short.

Front cable also looks too short, and it also looks like the cable housing is ready to fall apart at any time.
>>
i'm 5'6", do I get 165mm, 170mm or 175mm cranks?
>>
>>963758
165 for a road bike. A Low q factor is important too since it will impact you proportionally more than a taller rider. You can go 170 for a MTB (not that you have much choice for a short MTB crank anyway).
>>
>>963753
>>963749
Also the rear brake cable has a whole spool of cable that should be cut and capped.
>>
>>963718
>Can you just replace the handlebar so the position isn't as forced?
Since you don't know shit about bikes, don't go replacing anything just now, wait a month or two and see what you get used to and what you dislike.

If I was going to swap out drop bars for something comfy, I'd go with moosehead/track/pursuit bars. They allow a more upright posture, depending on how you fit them, but are still better than flat bars for getting some speed.
>>
>>963793
>moosehead
Never heard them called that before. Do you mean bullhorns?
Bullhorns are cool, but i feel they are kind of similar to riding on the hoods, so that would make for a functionally minimal change.
How do they allow a more upright posture than riding on the tops of drop bars?
>>
>>963796
>Never heard them called that before. Do you mean bullhorns
Sorry, yes.

>Bullhorns are cool, but i feel they are kind of similar to riding on the hoods
Yeah, they're kinda hoods for people who don't like drops. They go a bit higher than hoods. Well, they can if you get the right ones.
>>
>>963799
You're talking nonsense. How do bullhorns go "a bit higher" than hoods? It only depends on your steerer/stem setup.
>>
>>963799

You're an idiot.
>>
>>963699

I have the build of an orangutan. I suspect that I was stolen from a zoo.

>>963719

I was stuck on one of those NEXT brand wal mart bikes for a bout a year in college. Never again.
>>
File: hb4-14[1].jpg (162 KB, 940x660) Image search: [Google]
hb4-14[1].jpg
162 KB, 940x660
>>963718
It's a fine choice for a commuter, but it's for a really tall dude. It might actually be larger than 55.

Also, as anon notes, the bike may have been worked on by a retard. Be cautiou

>>963737
>Bars
Ignore the retard who's suggesting flat bars. Drops are a superset of flats and bullhorns, and the bar has almost nothing to do with how aggressive the setup is.

Flat bars are acceptable, but it's not because of the riding position.

>>963793
>>963796
>moosehead.
moose bars are an acceptable choice here, but shouldn't be option one, and went out of fashion sometime in the 1980s. Not to be confused with bullhorns.

Bar swap is one of the easiest things to do, assuming the stem isn't frozen. But why not try to get something that fits as is, if possible?
>>
https://www.gumtree.com/p/bicycles/classic-racer-peugeot-103/1171783260
What do you think of this bike for a commuter? I already have a mtb and roadie, this will be for commuting.
As far as I can see it needs a new inner tube, maybe cables and definitely bar tape.
>>
>>963834
>If it works, it fits, you like it, yadda yadda...
>>
>>960483
How does pricing work proportionate to mass?

I have a trek 1500 which is 23lbs with everything on, does price just grow exponentially as you approach 15lbs/7.8 kg?
>>
Not BIKE-buying, but still.
Got my haro for pretty cheap 1 year ago, and as far as i heard the haro frames are pretty descent, and i like it, don't want to swap it anytime soon.
Fork, however, sucks big dick, for mee it sems like the weakest part of the whole bike.

So, you get the memeo, i want to swap my fork.
Can you guys give me some advice on this? What should I look for and how much money I need to save if i want to get something gud? Not top-tier, but something that will worth the investment? Are rockshox just a meme? I don't know shit, and did not do my research, so treat me like a complete retad please.

I ride trails mainly.
>>
Hi bros.

Looking to commute 60km a day, 2x30, mo-fri, 10 months a year.

Don't really want to splash out on carbon as I'm just an amateur cyclist/commuter, budget of about 1000 euro tops. Would like to buy a racebike that will stand the test of time as I'm 25 now and hoping to commute at least 5 years. Planning to ride at least 9-10 months every year, might skip riding in december/january but I've always felt comfortable riding in the rain and cold so expect to ride all year long.
A fairly comfortable seating position (for racebikes) would definitely be preferred to a less comfortable/racy position.

Any tips on what I should look for in the very least? Is my budget realistic? Things I'm looking for is quality and durability, and comfort, but knowing my own modest cycling ambition I don't want to go all out
>>
>>963966

I don't even know where to begin.
Do you have previous experience cycling?
Bike commuting?
How much equipment do you have already? What sorts of tools and knowledge are you already armed with?

If you're a total beginner at this, just buy a commuter bike and start riding. Then start figuring out what works for you and what doesn't, and why. Your comfort on the bike is mostly going to be a matter of your clothing and equipment selection, and how well the bike fits you geometrically.

Ask questions as you have them.
>>
All for a grand total of 315 American dollarydoos after discount. How did I do, /n/.
>>
File: 1460436944982.gif (3 MB, 386x232) Image search: [Google]
1460436944982.gif
3 MB, 386x232
>>964000

>2016
>rim brakes
>>
>>964000

4700 looks amazing, love the gunmetal grey accents.

I'm biased against Vittoria as a brand, but their Rubino Pro3 tires are solid.
>>
>>964003
>he fell for the road disc meme
>>
>>964012

Being a meme doesn't change anything about the simple fact that rim brakes are obsolete from here on out.
>>
>>964014
Good goy
>>
>>964014
>obsolete
How?, they suddenly stopped being useful and cheap?
>>
>>964014
>Being a meme doesn't change anything about the simple fact that rim brakes are obsolete from here on out.

Disc brakes are slightly better in the rain and can feel slightly better if properly set up. It's 100% lol to think they've made caliper or V's obsolete though. Pure bike industry hype
>>
>>964014
Guy, "obsolete" doesn't mean what you apparently think it means.
>>964004
I was about to buy Contis, but I'm biased against that brand.
>>964047
It doesn't rain very often where I live and I also don't feel like buying a new wheel set.
>>964003
Dumb anime poster, etc
>>
>>960483
Been looking for jerseys on Amazon and Ebay.
Anyone knows any good brand of cheap generic jerseys that dont make me look like walking advertisement?
>>
>>964094
Pearl Izumi
>>
File: spurdo thumbs up.png (243 KB, 680x638) Image search: [Google]
spurdo thumbs up.png
243 KB, 680x638
>>964095
Exactly what was looking for.
How can I upvote you?
>>
>>964000
>36/52 11-15

do you live on the salt flats
>>
>>964131

You best be joking. I could spin that shit up the matterhorn. My granny gear is 42-25...
>>
>>964134
You mean, grind up the matterhorn??

At 250 W that combo he's got is doing 70 RPM at 8%.
>>
Should i pay heed to a bike manufacturers sizig recommendations? I want to get the kona paddywagon, and kona recommends a 53cm for my height (5'8 30 inseam) but i have almost zero crotch clearance. But other than that the 53cm feels fine. Do i listen to kona?
>>
>>964131
>11-15
>11-12-13-14-15
Where do I buy this freewheel?
>>
>>963834
How big a concern would the bottom bracket be if it needs replaced?
>>
>>964131
Not really. Just a masher/bodybuilder with really big and strong legs.
>>
File: the_hills_sing.jpg (22 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
the_hills_sing.jpg
22 KB, 500x500
>>964153
I have pretty much the exact same measurements as you. I ride a 54 Paddy Wagon '09 and i love it.
>>
>>964157
Don't some of the OTSes have that along with pretty huge chainrings?
>>
>>964069
Most contis are made by poo in the loos so I bought based Panaracer paselas instead
>>
>>964187

Do you brew in the queue?
>>
>>964161

Being a "masher" isn't a real thing.

All you're doing is going slower than you probably could, for shorter distances, while fucking up your knees and hips.
>>
>>964163
But on the 53 I have hardly any stand over clearance. I can stand comfortably flat footed, but the tube touches my tip. Does that matter? My LBS says no, but I'm not sure if they're just trying to sell me a bike.
>>
>>964304
It doesn't matter, no.
>>
>>964305
Thanks mane
>>
>>963980
I've been commuting the distance for about 2 months on my shitty racebike, I average between 28-30km/h over the distance which I'm happy with as it means I'm there in an hour
The shitty racebike however has had its best days, I've got riding equipment and I know some stuff about fixing bikes from the one I have now. I've been commuting to school/work all my life, just never distances over 8km but I think I should be fine.

I might get some money to spend via work, so I should be able to get a decent bike to start with. Just wondering if there's something I should look for. It should hold up well in all weather (Belgium, close to the ocean so expect salt too)
>>
good price? https://buffalo.craigslist.org/bik/5615046711.html
>>
File: bikes.jpg (36 KB, 400x450) Image search: [Google]
bikes.jpg
36 KB, 400x450
I'm not into biking at all, but I'm looking to try it out a little bit. I'd like to start by buying a second-hand bike and ride in the fields/countryside around the city.
Which one of these two would work out for me better?
(sorry about the low res)
>>
>>964317
>all weather
Do you need fenders?
>commuting
Are you happy to wear a backpack, or do you want to put your gear on a rack?

For the price you can definitely get something very decent.

Personally I'd go for someting with an Al frame and carbon fork, some kind of cyclocross/gravel/all-road/??? bike that has clearance for wider tyres and mounting points for various hardware mentioned above.

Otherwise you could probably get some kind of endurance road bike. There's plenty of options in that area, it would depend on what you LBSs stock.

>>964399
The GMC denali is a notorious meme-tier POS, and if you googled it you could see that you could actually buy a new one for less than that.

>>964412
Basically impossible to tell from those pictures (no spec?) but the bottom looks like it has a rigid fork which is one less thing to break.
>>
i'm 5'6, i don't remember what my inseam is off the top of my head but i think it's around 30". how high of a frame should i get? i live on campus deep in a city with ok bike lanes but will probably end up riding from around 8-10mi/16km one or two times a week. i was thinking about possibly getting a road bike.
>>
is a Dawes Streetfighter good 1st "real bike"?
>>
File: 01616_9TvWFwqOBvc_1200x900.jpg (232 KB, 1200x675) Image search: [Google]
01616_9TvWFwqOBvc_1200x900.jpg
232 KB, 1200x675
Is $110 a good deal for a Trek 1100
>>
>>964412
There's a two foot height difference between the average rider of those two. Both aren't going to fit ou at all.
>>
>>964491

Yeah.
Good price.
>>
>>964484
I have a similar body size (30in inseam when buying pants) I feel most comfortable on a 52 or 54 frame.
>>
File: 95651319902.jpg (43 KB, 635x357) Image search: [Google]
95651319902.jpg
43 KB, 635x357
Is 80$ for this Orbea worth it?
>>
>>964399
No, no no no. Just get a used 90s trek or something.
>>
whats the word on those chinese carbon frames from nastybar?

I need a new road bike really bad, have about 2k to spend. I'd rather just build up a frame using some decent stuff instead of dropping 2k for a pre built bike that'll come with 105 at best.

I can't find any decent 52cm frames on ebay.
I'd get a used CAAC10 frame if I could find one, but they are rare on ebay.

Any ideas for frames that are somewhat contemporary to search for on fleabay?

I dunno if I can handle another chinaman crabon bike (already have had 2)
>>
>>964549
No, worst fucking "conversion" I've seen
>>
>>964576
Conversion from what to what?
Why the worst?
>>
>>964573
you talk like you're accustomed to super high end stuff, but then in the next sentence you say you don't know the difference and you've been riding cheap stuff which you hate but don't indicate why

are you sure you actually know what you're looking for?
>>
Single speed freewheel vs multi gear roadbike for commuting? Which is more practical?

I don't have any bikes right now, I'm looking for a beater drop bar roadbike for commuting whom I won't mind if it's stolen
(Never had a drop bar roadbike, I'm interested purely because of aesthetic reasons)

I rarely bother with changing gear in my bicycle as a child until now
My past bike as a child is a cheap mountain bike and I usually borrow whatever bike my friends / family have when I want to cycling
>>
>>964578
??

looking for a decent road frame to build up

was wondering if anyone had experiences with the nastybar generic

not rocket science man
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 46

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.