[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Need a replacement Front Mech, recommend one please!
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /n/ - Transportation

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3
File: old mans beater.jpg (380 KB, 1536x1027) Image search: [Google]
old mans beater.jpg
380 KB, 1536x1027
/n/ could you please spec me a new modern group set to replace the one in pic related.

Bonus points for replacement front mech and shifter only. I look at all these Deore XT and modern Alvio stuff but most of it is for 9-10 cassetes while Dad's bike is 8. Don't know if its compatible and am confused.

TLDR: Front mech is fucked on old beater bike and need a replacement. Send help.

(also sry if this is more /DIY/ than /n/)
>>
>>960189

Tourney or Altus or whatever was already on there.
>>
File: 120909_00_d.jpg (46 KB, 702x702) Image search: [Google]
120909_00_d.jpg
46 KB, 702x702
>>960189
You're fine, /n/ is the place for this stuff.

If you want to order a replacement front derailer online, get a Shimano FD-M310, but know that when you figure in shipping it'll probably be cheaper/same price to go to a local bike shop (take your bike along), and if they've got an old derailer laying around then it might be a lot cheaper than ordering online.
>>
File: rf-widenarrow.jpg (32 KB, 618x400) Image search: [Google]
rf-widenarrow.jpg
32 KB, 618x400
Here's what you need OP.
>>
Also it's called a derailer or derailleur, not "mech".
>>
>>960197
I come front a tourney front mech
don't
ever
put that piece of shit anywhere near a bike

Get a deore or sram equivalent and just call it a day. It's hard to fuck up a front mech, but the tourney is fucked up.
>>
>>960203
Thanks for the quality response anon. Do you think these would work together on the bike?

Shimano Altus M310 7 Speed Rapidfire Pods

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-altus-m310-7-speed-rapidfire-pods/

Shimano CN-HG40 chain

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-cn-hg40-6-7-8-speed-116-link-chain/

Shimano Front Altus Derailleur (m310)
http://www.sportsdirect.com/shimano-front-altus-derailleur-938003?colcode=93800390
>>
>>960203
Thanks anon!
>>
First, are you sure the shifter AND front derailer both need replacement?

>>960228
That shifter appears to for the rear and 7 speed.

Maybe more like this?

http://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product_10053_10052_583882_-1___204723
>>
>>960279
Well the bike was used on a in-door trainer daily for 8 months. The chain/front mech/rear derailleur were grinding a lot and then eventually locked up.

We had a crack re-lubing everything and doing the finer work of tuning the rear and fronts derailleurs. They were never quite right,constant heavy grinding. We suspected the front derailleur had warped.

Sent it off to a shop for a diagnostic. They said the the front shiftier, front derailleur and cabling needed replacing and wanted £120 for the privilege.

Figured we could do it our selves for cheaper and a chance to learn how to do it myself. I personally think just the front derailleur needs replacing.

That shifter looks good...can altura/altus/Alvio from different generations be matched?

Thanks for input.
>>
>>960189
bump
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.