[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
When does it make sense to buy a carbon road bike? I ride simply
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /n/ - Transportation

Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 4
File: IMG_0851-2.jpg (303 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0851-2.jpg
303 KB, 1024x768
When does it make sense to buy a carbon road bike?

I ride simply for enjoyment. I'm extremely fit, so riding bike doesn't have any real training effect on me. I just like the feeling and the freedom to escape from home for an hour or so.

I was offered a frame I really like (pic related) and would have to build it up, which means investing in drivetrain etc. I don't have a lot of money, so I'm thinking if this would make sense, or if I should just stay with my old steel bike? What speaks for/against it?
>>
>>953867
When you can afford it and you can enjoy it. There's no magical performance threshold where carbon starts making a difference.
>>
You wont notice any difference unless you are doing a shitload of climbing or are autistic about stiffness. If you're only riding for an hour tops each ride you could literally ride almost anything and still find it enjoyable.

If you want a new frame just get aluminum and save some money. That way if you ever go to snap city you wont have to break the bank for a new frame if you fuck up really bad.
>>
>>953867

I don't think carbon is for you. Carbon is better for people who race competitively.

The older I get, the less I want any carbon on my bikes at all. It was fun when I was young and didn't worry about death or bicycle maintenance.

Now I look back and think about how many times I crashed my cannondale Slice fork riding drunk and wonder wtf I was thinking riding that bike between city buses going 40 mph and all that stupid shit

Carbon is for guys who really race competitively. It is not for people riding for simple pleasure and exercise. It's not for touring, it's not for commuting. No, no, no. The bike companies pushing carbon on consumer-grade bikes are morally culpable for the deaths and injuries that will result when all of these bikes are 30 years old
>>
>>953875
>injuries that will result when all of these bikes are 30 years old
so do carbon frames start to decompose after a while or what?
>>
>>953875
>riding drunk
You have bigger problems than carbon

>It is not for people riding for simple pleasure and exercise.
It's actually perfect for these people, because these are the kinds of people that lock up their bike inside their garage and only take them out for a ride, and crash far less often than a racer.
>>
How does carbon feel compared to steel? Does it absorb shocks better or worse?
>>
>>953877
It's less about the age of the carbon, and more about the construction techniques and technology of 30 years ago.
>>
>>953881

Better in general, but the geometry of the frame and fork will feel slightly different between bikes as far as vibration dampening goes.
>>
>>953881
>How does carbon feel compared to steel?

Depends entirely on tube shape and frame geometry.

I ride an older aero carbon TT frame and it is absolutely punishing after a few hours. If it's just a rec ride, I actually prefer to be out on my hi-ten gaspipe beater.
>>
>>953884

In the aviation industry, composites have been well understood for way more than 30 years.

The thing is, 15 years ago carbon bike frames were being designed & manufactured in America by qualified technicians. Now, they're made in China by under-trained, under-payed laborers and there is little to no quality control.
>>
Can you hop a curb on a carbon bike?
>>
>>953893

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xreZdUBqpJs

Skip to ~5 minutes.

Carbon can survive WAY the fuck more punishment than steel.
>>
>>953891

Drunk cannondale Slice guy here

I was pro-carbon for a long time until I start reading some of the stuff about failures and bonding techniques

Then I ordered a chinese MTB riser that could not fit the brakes I had.

I took out some calipers and found out it did not have a consistent diameter. It was 22.6 in some spots, 21.1 mm in others.

It was disturbing

Trying to unload all of my carbon stuff on craigslist now.

I think the ideal bike for someone like me, who cares about weight but fears carbon:

* Steel fork
* Alu frame
* Alu components / wheels
* Carbon seatpost
* Carbon headset spacers

That's it. Hard to make a significantly lightweight drop bar bike like this, but I don't care. I want 35c tires and strong wheels. It's good enough.

We've hit a plateau, tech-wise, where the future is electronic shifting and carbon fibre. 1x is fun but not really revolutionary outside of MTB. Adventure bikes / CX size tires on road bikes is another great thing. Besides that, I can't see where cycling is going to go. Probably just continued refinements as we get close to the perfect bike in all categories.

Retrogrouches were wrong about index shifting. It's cool. But I agree STIs are annoying when they start to break down. I've got 3 sets of bar-end shifters. I'll probably have them until I die.

V-brakes are great. Mini-V's too. I'm not sold on disc. V's are almost as good, and even easier to set up.

Gear ranges with a 2x and 8 speed cassette are great.

Tires keep getting better and cheaper. Tubeless is a silly hassle for anyone who doesn't race

29er is cool. Makes sense. 27.5 is getting silly

We're running out of ideas and I think we're in a second golden age of cycling right now. There's going to be a bust when people stop needing new bikes

Carbon fiber walmart bikes are coming next. I imagine that will be around the time when shit hits the fan for the cycling industry
>>
>>953899

Aluminum is complete shit, no matter what the cannondale shills will try to tell you. Far more dangerous than carbon.

If you care about weight, it's titanium or nothing.
>>
When you have more than one bike
>>
>>953899

>Drunk cannondale Slice guy here

As if this wasn't enough for everyone on Earth to disregard your opinion...

>I'm not sold on disc.

kek

>29er is cool. Makes sense.

As someone who owns one, you're fucked in the head.

>We're running out of ideas

tapered headsets would like a word with you.

>I've got 3 sets of bar-end shifters. I'll probably have them until I die.

No. You'll have them until the detents crack - takes about 500 miles of riding. No more. They're faulty by design.
You literally have no fucking idea what you are talking about. Fortunately for you, other people know more. Sit back and enjoy the ride.
>>
>>953867
Take the frameset, sell it on ebay, buy two bikes with the proceeds. That's a Colnago, they don't make cheap anything.

>>953900
You're an idiot. Or a ultra-poorfag. Or both. Either way shut the fuck up.
>>
>>953904
The frame I was referring to IS a Colnago C40. I always eyed the lugged carbon construction.
>>
>>953899
>chinese carbon
>>
>>953899
Carbon seatpost is more dangerous than a carbon frame or fork.
>>
>>953909
>Carbon seatpost is more dangerous than a carbon frame or fork.

how so?

I figure if it breaks I will have my weight on my feet and bars anyways
>>
>>953900
>Aluminum is complete shit, no matter what the cannondale shills will try to tell you.

I don't know man I've got a 1993 Cannondale T-1000 that says otherwise. What is your problem with alumium frames? They've proven themselves. They can survive some dents. Rare to see one "catastrophically" fail.

Aluminum forks of course I avoid for their alleged road noise and risk of snapping

Vitus is the only aluminum frame I wouldn't ride
>>
>>953903
>>I've got 3 sets of bar-end shifters. I'll probably have them until I die.
>No. You'll have them until the detents crack - takes about 500 miles of riding. No more. They're faulty by design.

What is a detent and why are mine still working after several thousand miles? Did I get lucky?
>>
>>953911
Enjoy getting stabbed through your rectum unless you have spider reflexes to shift all your weight off your seat. Of course that won't happen because the entire reason it cracked was because your weight was on the seat, and probably made worse by a pothole.
>>
My god... no offense, but you what are you guys doing when you're so scared of your frame/seatpost/fork braking all the time? Perhaps just be a bit mindful when riding?
>>
>>953867
>When does it make sense to buy a carbon road bike?
1. When you got the right amout of money and you simply enjoy riding your bike
2. You need to shred weight because you compete in races

Otherweise there is no reason to get Carbon. Carbon doesn't last longer, its no more stable than Alu, Steel, Titan or Scandium, its not stiffer, its not anyhow "better", its just the goddamn Weight.. Its simply the weightshred you are dealing with, thats it

I am competing myself in races and Carbon is the only answer to get at least 0,003 seconds faster, but seriously, thats all the magic behind Carbon
>>
>>953920
>what is aero
>>
>>953921
do you believe the aeromeme? have you already got your stupid looking 3T aeronova handlebars?
>>
>>953867
Get a carbon bike if you want to race. If not, steel is better. (Yes, that's my subjective opinion.)
>>
>>953918
80km/h descents brah
>>
I would build the frame. 105 group and some am classic wheels. Or build your own wheels. Colnago steel is fancy and well built
>>
>>953937
>Or build your own wheels.
only an option if OP has already done it. Otherweise its not a good option, get headed to the next bikeshop and inform yourself about prices, handbuilt wheel are fairly cheap and bulletproof if the right hub/rim combination has been chosen
>>
>>953899

>I was a reckless-riding jerkoff who used to do it drunk too.
>Everything went basically fine, but in hindsight I shudder while thinking about bad things that could have happened.
>Also I bought my carbon from China.

You're not some kind of authority, you're just a dumb asshole who got older.
>>
>>953938
That's true. Even with the prices I pay it still only saved me $20 the last I built some wheels. I just like building stuff
>>
> I'm extremely fit, so riding bike doesn't have any real training effect on me
Then enter a race on whatever you have now, win because you are already so fast that training doesn't even affect you, and a sponsor will be happy to give you a carbon bike for free
>>
>>953921
the frame is the least efficient way to improve aero, in terms of money. the best (UCI-approved) improvements are:

-skinsuit
-aerobars
-aero helmet
-shoe covers

then you get into

-front wheel
-tuning your aero tuck position in a wind tunnel
-rear wheel
-H1 fit Madone or Canyon Aeroad

for the frame, you're looking at, what, $5.5K for 18W savings? that's not great, considering how cheap the first five options are. even the wind tunnel time is of more value.

then again, when it comes to rider psychology, that Madone might make a bigger difference, because if you're on a bike that you believe is fast, you're going to put out more effort to go fast.
>>
>>953899
>Retrogrouches were wrong about index shifting. It's cool. But I agree STIs are annoying when they start to break down. I've got 3 sets of bar-end shifters. I'll probably have them until I die.

They take a bit more maintenance, but the apocalypse would have to happen before I give up the smooth consistent shifting from the drops or hoods that you get with modern brifters.
>>
>>953952
i still got RSX STIs running, they are almost >20 years old
>>
>>953951
>non carbon aerowheel
>>
>>953867

You only really need the comfort of a steel road bike if you're doing 300+km rides or long distance touring. Otherwise the stiffness and lightness of carbon is worth it plus it still has subtle vibration dampening.

I wouldn't get all paranoid about crashing and breaking carbon, i'd be worrying about the hospital bill coming if you crash hard enough to break carbon. CF is still stronger than your bones in the end.

Carbon wheels and discs would be mandatory in my opinion and would be more of a performance upgrade over a carbon frame.
>>
>>953971
Is there a bike made from bones
>>
File: bonerbike.jpg (35 KB, 315x357) Image search: [Google]
bonerbike.jpg
35 KB, 315x357
>>953972
of course
>>
>>953972
yes, made out of the burnt bones from jewish childs who suffered and died in auschwitz, welded together by the desperation and fear from untermenschen
>>
>>953899
>* Carbon headset spacers
Really?
>>
>>953952
>snaps barcon indexing ring
Whoops
>>
File: carbon steerer.jpg (116 KB, 666x1000) Image search: [Google]
carbon steerer.jpg
116 KB, 666x1000
>>953898
>>
Getting a carbon road bike makes sense when cycling is a hobby to you. If it's only the means on transportation it doesn't make sense. You don't want to leave that carbon road bike unattended when you go about your business.

So when you are cycling for the sake of cycling it starts making sense. At that point it's more important that you have a bike that's comfortable and most importantly something that you like riding. For me that mean race like quality and performance. It's why I ride a carbon road bike most of the time. Obviously I also have a beater that I use when going shopping and doing errands that I can leave outside and not have to worry about it getting stolen.
>>
>>954031
Best part is he didn't hurt himself and went on to place third :v
>>
>>953867
Curious what you consider "extremely fit"
>>
There's no reason NOT to get carbon.

It's better than steel in every way.
>>
>>954044
>>954031

show me a steel pipe doing that
>>
>>953867
>when does it make sense

it doesn't, nor does it have to

stop bothering us about how to spend your fucking money, if you want it then get it
>>
Durianrider defended the use of alu for recreational purposes , he said tha alu can be better in some crashes.

If you can afford a garbon bike and you are really into non ocasional cycling i think it's fine buying a Nice carbon bike.
>>
>>954080
>paying any attention the vegan manlet

For what purpose?
>>
>>953867
>I don't have a lot of money
>would have to build it up

it's not going to be fun, unless you ride around with a bunch of used parts and band aid temp fixes

but a colnago with shimano claris and stem shifters would be pretty fucking hilarious to see

parts are way more expensive than buying a bike.

$650 will buy you a new bike on sale with 105, but that $650 won't build you a frameset with 105 components.

I built my litespeed up and all the little $50 shit adds up

$50 cane creek headset, $24.99 for a shimano bottom bracket, but then there is another $30 for park tool's bottom bracket shell tool, little shit like rim tape, bar tape, assembly lube, buying a nicer seat post for no reason mid build, pedals,tires and innertube shit nobody thinks of

if you add it up in your head building looks like it makes sense but in reality a $500 project is really a $750+ project
>>
>>954082

> Eats 12 bananas for breakfast
> Reviews shit tier road bike
> "It's actually great moi8!"
> "Crikey! I barely even shit moi drawers moi8!"
> Eats 8 kilos of blueberries while lecturing you about boicyclin'
>>
I built up a china carbon mtb and assembly alone cost me $300.
>>
>>954096
>china carbon mtb

must have one hell of a health insurance plan
>>
File: WP_20160404_19_19_18_Pro.jpg (2 MB, 3264x1840) Image search: [Google]
WP_20160404_19_19_18_Pro.jpg
2 MB, 3264x1840
>>954100
its fine you pussy- i'd rather be riding carbon on a trail than going 60mph on a road doe.
>>
>>954091
I think it makes more sense if you just go looking for a cool used bike with some minor issues, or parted out because the owner wants to undertake another project, jew on the price because "it's not complete" then finish it off yourself.
>>
>>954082
>>954093
>proceeds to fuck super hot fit chick
>>
>>954082
The diet stuff is kinda retarded, but his cycling stuff can be interesting, the dude isn't trying to sell you bikes or getting paid to do it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLLJr0RChDg
>>
>>954112
>I don't ride those carbon wuss tanks
>Rides carbon now
>>
>>953875
The fuck you using a goddamn TT Bike for drunken commuting? You some sort of retard?
>>
>>954140
>The fuck you using a goddamn TT Bike for drunken commuting? You some sort of retard?

Getting laid after a night of partying, then riding your sahweet CAAD8 on 10 beers down a wet city street at 4AM. No helmet, no lights

If that's wrong I don't want to be right. live and die by the YOLO
>>
>>954156

CAAD5*

And you should see what 1 year of not cleaning your damn chain looks like after that.

YOLO
O
L
O
Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.