[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hello everybody, I have found this bike relatively cheaply but
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /n/ - Transportation

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3
File: IMG_20160522_140456.jpg (3 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160522_140456.jpg
3 MB, 3264x2448
Hello everybody,
I have found this bike relatively cheaply but i found this over the bottom bracket.
Is it cracked, or just the paint.
Thank you.
>>
>>958784
What bike has smooth welds but comes with a shitty stamped steel front derailer?
>>
>>958788
a Merida?
>>
so i get it's not a common practice to have a clamped front derailleur, on a carbon frame
>>
>>958792
This is carbon?
>>
>>958792
Shit, I took a closer look, I thought the reflection was aluminum, but it looks like carbon.

Sometimes carbon uses clamp on derailers, but never one that cheap. Please take a picture of the derailer form the other side.

I would be concerned. It looks gouged as fuck.
>>
I don't even know what I'm looking at
>>
>>958797
A scratched up possibly cracked carbon bike with a tourney front derailer and what looks like riveted chainrings.

I don't know. My guess is someone overtightened the front derailer, cracked the frame, then they removed all the parts, and got a walmart bike, put those parts on, and are trying to sell it.
>>
>>958784
I think it's cracked, if it was just the paint you'd see little crack lines - but in this case there's a big chip of paint actually missing, to me that says the tube's shape was deformed.
>>
File: IMG_20160522_140418.jpg (3 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160522_140418.jpg
3 MB, 3264x2448
i'm sorry for the condition it is in. it's not my bike, but for the looks of it it won't be.
>>
File: IMG_20160522_140421.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160522_140421.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
another picture
>>
>>958808
>>958810
>that line running all the way around
If it's not broken all the way through already then it's just a matter of time until it fails. Would not buy unless you can get it really cheap and strip any useful components off the frame.
>>
I guess when you try to remove certain parts such as the Bottom bracket its either seized to oblivion or you'll crack the frame even further
>>
>>958810
>>958808
Those are shit tier components anyways. The type you would find on a $100 department store bike. Very shady.
>>
Looks like it was cracked and then welded
>>
wash the bike, then take pics.. probably cracked and welded as another anon said.
>>
I'd stay well away, even if it was okay (doubtful) the previous owner obvious didn't take good care of it and is likely an arsehole for sticking cheap parts on it and trying to flog it to another idiot.

From the looks of that cracked paint going all the way around the tube I'd say the seat tube has moved away from the bottom bracket. Get someone else to put some weight on the pedals and watch that gap and it'll probably increase.
>>
>>958825
The black painted FD clamps come on 105 and below they're fine
>>
>>958826
You can't weld carbon fiber
>>
>>958825
>>958854
>>958798
the derailleur is certainly a Tourney, and the cranks are some plastic-coated steel cheapos with riveted chainrings, yup

looks like the frame has had a crack, which someone has then "fixed" with some epoxy or whatever (and painted over), which hasn't helped much from cracking further

poor thing
>>
thank you for helping me make a decision
>>
>>958949
You didn't mention a price. If it's stupidly cheap, or you can talk the guy down now knowing that it's probably fucked, you could always get it repaired.
>>
>>958784
Don't buy it for any price, it's fucked.
>>
>>958854
>seig offering terrible advice again proving once again he knows absolutely nothing about bicycles
>>
it's like 100€, but i will not buy it
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.