[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
As a truck driver who keeps a bike on board, I am always biking
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /n/ - Transportation

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2
As a truck driver who keeps a bike on board, I am always biking around unfamiliar cities and towns.
What do you guys use for navigation?
>>
>>956907
I generally consult google maps on my computer before I ride somewhere new, then use that info to make a cue sheet that I can consult while riding, or I just draw myself a very simple map with important streets and landmarks.
>>
HERE maps offline
>>
I usually just pick a direction and peek at google maps every few miles to try and make a big circle.

If I've got a real destination, I'll write the turns and distances on a post it note and tape it to the handlebar.
>>
I try to get a paper map. Usually at a tourist information thing if there´s one. In europe there´s plenty of those. And most of the time they do have a usable city map you can take for free. Or i buy a hiking map in a store.

If that fails i use my smartphone, locus app and one of the open map sets listed in the app.
Google maps is good too, especially with the integrated google search stuff when you are looking for something in particular. But google maps is a little bit too inaccurate for my taste, and too carcentric. Pedestrian or cycling infrastructure is often simply not shown on google maps, just roads.
>>
maps.me

works offline, has search and directions, allows you to save poi's
>>
What about an iPhone holder mounted to the handlebars?
>>
How do you turn a smart phone (android) into a proper GPS that makes dots and shape files and such? Fuck google maps.
>>
>>956907
I managed to navigate half of Bali just using google maps and an earpiece, it's surprisingly effective.
>>
>>957223
>What about an iPhone holder mounted to the handlebars?
If a ride is short enough that your phone battery doesn't go dead, you should be able to memorize the route.

>>956909
>consult google maps on my computer before I ride somewhere new, then use that info to make a cue sheet
I do this, and I've got a perl script to turn their directions into something more usable.
>>
>>957228
>dots and shape files and such
What is that I don't even
>>
>>957247
Most GPSs don't make a line, they make dots, and you can affect how often the unit take a position. And shape files are what you export into a geographical information system (GIS)
>>
>>957251
For what purpose?
>>
>>957252
Mapping where I ride mostly...also some orienteering and looking for new trails. It's just the GPS I'm used to using.
>>
>>957240
but i like to ride around downtowns and explore then find a nice spot for lunch , then find my way back to where i started
>>
>>957240
>he remembers 100 mile routes
>he doesnt have an external battery pack
>>
>>956907
Check google/baidu maps when stopped at lights, memorise the next few turns.

>inb4 can't stop don't want to
>>
>>957879
but who will hold my log?
>>
>>957018
this app bredy good
>>
A garmin Oregon 650, loaded with free OSM maps.

Good for navigation, variety of dashboards. Entirely offline. Automatically records tracks in .gpx so you can do whatever you like with them (on Endomondo and/or garmin basecamp if you want to build up a database of your rides)

Also good for geocaching if that's a thing for you.
>>
A Garmin Etrex 30 intended for hiking. Mostly used for bike touring. It is superior to dedicated bike GPSes due to better sturdiness and vastly increased battery life.
>>
>>958350
>Also good for geocaching if that's a thing for you.

/out/ likes to find geocaches and crap in them.
They call it geopooping.
>>
File: geopooper.jpg (17 KB, 300x232) Image search: [Google]
geopooper.jpg
17 KB, 300x232
>>958613
they even have patches
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.