[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hello, /n/ I've had this recurring desire to get out and
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /n/ - Transportation

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2
File: image.jpg (52 KB, 341x510) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
52 KB, 341x510
Hello, /n/

I've had this recurring desire to get out and do some mountain biking, trail riding. I don't have a bike, I'm going to borrow my dad's box-store Schwinn mtnbike that's probably too small for me and doesn't fit quite right. It was recently tuned up at a local bike shop. My questions are these:

I need a helmet. I'm inclined to buy some $25 deal from Amazon and call it good. What criterion do you look for when spending big money on helmets?

I'd like to get a mountain bike. I'm 6'4" and understand I will need something bigger. If I set about a $300 budget what should I look for on Craigslist? Something with a frame I can upgrade?
>>
Big money doesn't get you better protection, unless we're talking about full face downhill helmets. It gets you better ventilation, padding, weight, and aero, and fit options. As long as it's ANSI or snell certified, and not a cosplay toy.

Find something that fits. Better fit means better protection.

>If I set about a $300 budget what should I look for on Craigslist? Something with a frame I can upgrade?

Take a look at what a 300-500 entry level new mountain bike gets you for reference.

I'd go with something that fits, something that isn't beat up all to hell, and something with a good front shock.
>>
File: project_poc_trabec_02.png (99 KB, 700x378) Image search: [Google]
project_poc_trabec_02.png
99 KB, 700x378
>>956671
big money does give you better protection in the form of more coverage. But when I say big money I mean like 100€ range, pic related.

Basic POC Trabec, not the funky race MIPS version. It covers really well especially the back of your head, it's pretty damn big but at the same time comfortable and light - I don't feel it sitting on my head.

The only gripes I have with it is that there's nowhere to put sunglasses on and the visor feels really fucking cheap - but that's because it's supposed to come off in case of strong hits, so it doesn't twist your neck. If you want to go a little cheaper, I've heard good things of the IXS Trail RS and Bell Stoker. But the Trabec is the meatiest of the bunch.
>>
>>956673
>>956671
I thought the whole point of MIPS is better protection. And MIPS helmets generally cost a little more.
>>
>>956674
I choose not to pick up a MIPS helmet as I don't fully believe they really work. I understand the concept but I don't think it's proven enough. What made me choose the Trabec - apart from looks and ventilation - is that it's really meaty in the rear and sides, it just covers more area than the average helmet.
>>
I check the website and googled a bit... looks like they have been researching with universities and scientist behind the technology... 1996 and onward sound like a pretty good background to me
>>
Thanks for the replies, guys. I'll get something off the shelf for now, and upgrade in the future.
>>
>>956673
you can get some MIPS bell or giro lids for the price of a basic trabec.
>>
>>956966
Trabec looked better and seems like it covers more area than the Giro and Bell options I looked at the time, so again, I didn't go for MIPS as I haven't seen enough evidence to show me it really works (after all it's just a little slip plane, but my hair should already act as a slip plane against the helmet, it's free to slide for a cm or so, like MIPS does... only Bell I was considering over the Trabec was the Super 2, but it was out of price range.
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.