[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
New to mountain/trail bikes
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /n/ - Transportation

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: image.jpg (100 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
100 KB, 600x450
Is this bike worth $500?

> Medium frame, full suspension 29er, Salsa Spearfish. Rock Shox Reba front, Rock Shox Monarch in the back. SRAM X9, Elixr 3 hydraulic brakes.Crank Brothers seat, seat post, bars & stem.

http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/bik/5587362290.html
>>
>>956254

Easily worth $1000 unless the frame is damaged or the suspension needs rebuilding.

That's a great bike.
Elixir 3's are a bit jank but they'll get the job done.
REBA is an extremely nice fork.
Monarch is a workmanlike rear shock.

I would jump on that, personally. The geometry is very, very XC-ish so keep that in mind. It won't be a downhill beast.
>>
I have no clue what to look for when shopping for a mountain bike. Any tips or suggestions for bikes you guys own? I'm planning on going to a bike store near me tomorrow, but I'm afraid he'll just try and sell me on their most expensive model since I'm a noob.

>>956257

Thanks! I'll probably meet that guy and check out the bike.
>>
As long as there's nothing broken they're hiding... Absofuckinglutely
>>
>>956259
Don't pick up a full suspension bike if it's your first mtb, imho. A hardtail teaches you more about riding the correct line, and it's a better all rounder, provided you don't want to go FAST downhill.

Plus you need time to figure out full suspension geometries. There's a lot going on there, you'd need to try them out first. Some are good at pedaling, others not so but they're amazing at absorbing bumps, etc. And also, twice the shocks, twice the maintenance needs. Not something to underestimate. Hell, even more as the whole freaking frame articulates.

So you'll be looking at hardtails only.
Components... well, disc brakes are a given, hydraulics most likely. Drivetrain should be a 2x10 for a modern middle of the pack xc hardtail.

brakes, shimanos are best. Avid are fiddly.

shimano or sram drive... they're both good. I like sram's better on the rear, and shimano on the front.

Deore or X5 bare minimum. Front derailer can be whatever, at worst you'll change it, it's just not that important.

wheels, if you're not a big guy, I'd stay with 27.5" / 650b (same thing) - they're just more "throwable" and more fun imho. Plus 29ers are more expensive, and 27.5 wheels are more common thus finding used parts will be easier.

front fork - depends on how much money you're throwing at this, but if it's a cheap Suntour fork, aim at an XCR. It's the best cheap coil fork you can get. If it has an air fork it's better though.

Under $1k you should look for a bike that fullfills these needs as best as it can, and that you find comfortable. Consider that you'll be buying new pedals and maybe a new saddle. Stay away from huge shiny 29ers with shit tourney shit on the rear and stuff like that.

Hope it's helpful, that's how I'd approach it.
>>
>>956274
Really appreciate that reply. I'll look into hardtails and the specs you listed.
>>
>>956278
Hope it helps, just don't get fixated on it, if you find an older model bike with a great fork but an older 3x9 drivetrain... well it's still better than a newer drivetrain with a lower end fork! After all derailers are cheaper to change than a whole fork.
>>
>>956257
>Easily worth $1000

Depends on the age and condition. But as long as it rolls without making any funny noises, $500 seems good.
>>
>I live in Las Vegas
>I didn't buy this bike
fuck
>>
>>956372
Who are you quoting?
>>
>>956373
No one. I live in Las Vegas and would drop $500 right now, but I didn't beat OP in time. It's not listed.
>>
>>956375
Also related, the trails around here are rocky, loose, and generally want to kill you (though fun). Full suspension isn't required, but it's nice.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.