[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So I'm looking to combine my /n/ and /out/ hobbies this
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /n/ - Transportation

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 7
File: bike-campers-kamprite.jpg (58 KB, 468x600) Image search: [Google]
bike-campers-kamprite.jpg
58 KB, 468x600
So I'm looking to combine my /n/ and /out/ hobbies this summer, and I saw this baby while browsing around.

I was wondering if anybody had any experience with this, or something like this. Any sort of sleeping camper to attach to a bike.

Wilderness biking general, I guess?
>>
File: Image.jpg (386 KB, 1335x890) Image search: [Google]
Image.jpg
386 KB, 1335x890
Don't make it complicated with a carry wagon, just load up a touring bike and head out.
>>
I can't imagine that thing or anything like it riding well at all. Especially if you went off-road even a little, I bet that thing would eat shit in an instant.

Don't have any personal experience, though, so I guess you can always test-ride one if you're dead set on it. Just make sure you really test it and feel it out thoroughly, not just a quick spin.
>>
File: BikeCamp1OldNogalesHighway.jpg (574 KB, 2048x1152) Image search: [Google]
BikeCamp1OldNogalesHighway.jpg
574 KB, 2048x1152
>>955421
Depending on where you go /out/ you could get by with a tarp or a one or two man tent. If your bike of choice doesn't have a place to attach a rack you could do Revelate style and/or frame bag.

What, exactly, are you considering?

Where do you live?

Do you have a bike already or are you thinking about getting something just for this?
>>
>>955440
I agree. with a trailer, anything from hills to dirt roads becomes a nightmare. Just invest in a nice bivy rather than a tent truck and you'll be much happier. plus if some part of your trailer breaks, it's unlikely that you'll be able to fix it in the middle of nowhere and then you'll be stuck without a shelter.
>>
>>>>955450
I've already got a relatively good road bike, so I don't plan on taking it off many trails. I live fairly close to a large camping ground (an hour by car) that has lots and whatnot, so I was thinking mainly there, or renting spots on farm land nearby (old blood, they're usually nice enough if you ask)

>>955457
I'll be spending the majority of time on the roads, and a little big of a car sized dirt road to reach my actual spot, where I can then detach the trailer and hit the trails myself.
>>
>>955458
Apparently the build quality is shit and it weighs 50 pounds.

Just buy some sort of pop up tent if you want the convenience.
>>
File: greenmachine.jpg (226 KB, 1024x683) Image search: [Google]
greenmachine.jpg
226 KB, 1024x683
>>
>>955487
>bikepacking
I want this meme to end.
>>
>>955620
>bikepacking

It's cool to be aero carrying gear though but yeah fuck it can be a real dork fest

Makes much more sense for MTB dudes who want to go on very long wilderness trails. They're pushing it towards a road touring.. uh... gravel... sort of thing and panniers make so much more sense
>>
>>955622
This. Besides touring is not supposed to be about going fast.
Although I do think mixing backpacking and panniers is worth it to replace rear panniers with smaller front panniers models and thus take weight off the rear wheel/ gain further heel clearance.
>>
>>955421

That tent is a nightmarish amount of weight and would ruin you on a country road with no shoulder.

Don't even THINK about buying it

Get whatever ultralight backpackers sleep in. They are innovating so much lightweight equipment for tour bros it's a good time to be alive
>>
>>955627
>Although I do think mixing backpacking and panniers is worth it to replace rear panniers with smaller front panniers models and thus take weight off the rear wheel/ gain further heel clearance.

I like that a lot. If my bike didn't have touring length chainstays I would definitely go with this.

The other week I did 100 miles into a headwind and the whole time I was fantasizing about a frame bag, since I'm huffing in the drops and I can feel the wind pulling on the rear pannier setup I had

Front bags + frame bag would be great for a short chainstay, fast handling touring bike. But the shorter wheelbase might make it harder to balance? maybe. I'm too poor anyways so I'm just going go classic for the next... 50 years
>>
File: balance.jpg (585 KB, 1426x1070) Image search: [Google]
balance.jpg
585 KB, 1426x1070
>>
Bikepacking is about 200% because MTBers sometimes can't use traditional luggage options, such as suspension bikes, and they think classic shit looks gay. It does not belong on a road/touring bike. Putting stuff on the bars and the seatpost deals with suspension and lack of mounting points. The only reason to even use a framebag is if you are actually doing that much off-road and want to keep weight centered.
>>
>>955683
This is the most autist bikesforums fad I've ever seen
>>
>>955745
What?
>>
>>955421
I used to drive my baby cousin in a carriage. It's a bitch. I'd rather pack my bike like a silk road camel than have that shit attached to me.
>>
File: 0403161201.jpg (3 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
0403161201.jpg
3 MB, 3264x2448
The fun part about bike camping is that you can do it with a shit bike and shit gear. Better gear just means you can go farther more comfortably.
>>
>>955440
This. Bring a bivy sack or, if you're a faggot, bring a tent.
>>
>>955798
The only shit bike is the bike that doesn't get ridden, anon.

Well, that and the bike spec'd with Shimano, of course.

>>955683
Is it true that you are vegan?
>>
>>955798
>>955683
>>955487
>>955440
These look sort of difficult / clumsy to take along paths, the trailer would be nice to just un-hitch, then hit the trails, as opposed to stop and un-pack everything, or ride with them on.
>>
File: 22677373418_202e6b8d91_k1.jpg (1 MB, 2048x1361) Image search: [Google]
22677373418_202e6b8d91_k1.jpg
1 MB, 2048x1361
>>955838

Bikepacking bags are an alternative better suited to the kind of riding you are describing.
>>
>>955839
See, that looks infinitely better than the other shit posted
>>
>>955840
Look up 'bikepacking' on any search engine. There's a fuckload of info.
>>
>>955839
>double chainrings
>no front derailleur
I would at least bolt the granny ring off to not look like hobo with ghetto fixie conversion.
>>
>>955851
maybe its in lieu of a chaincatcher
>>
>>955838
even if you want a trailer don't get the dumb tent trailer get a one wheeled trailer and carry a tent with it
>>
what sort of basic tents/shelters will afford some basic protection from the elements for someone touring?
>>
/n/ /out/ rep!
>>
>>955627

If heel clearance is an issue, you're just running shitty racks. I do fine with a compact road frame and rear rack/panniers- if I was trying to go as cheap as humanly possible then it might be a problem.
>>
>>955798

Dat extracycle looks barely loaded.
>>
>>956111
That's the most stupid thing i've ever read. You can top-tier tubus racks and still have clearance issues if you have large feet and short chainstays.
>>
>>955839
But what if you need something to drink?
>>
>>956107
Tarp, provided you are in a wooded area.
>>
>>956438
The owner is ex-military and a backpacker, so he didn't feel the need to bring extra feel good-items, even though both bags were barely 1/3rd packed.
>>
>>956447
bladder in the frame bag, dum dum.
>>
>>955440
What brand and model are those bags?
All four of them, that is
>>
>>955421
So say if I'd be on the road for basically my whole trip to the camp ground, and I wouldn't really be taking it off-road at all, would it make any more sense then?
>>
>>955851
Judging by the relatively small cassette, i assume its changed either by hand or by heel
>>
>>957537
bump
>>
>>957537

It would still be needlessly heavy and bulky. Might as well just get a cot and tarp.
Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.