[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So I am looking to get back into biking and was wondering if
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /n/ - Transportation

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 5
File: 129574927576.jpg (59 KB, 700x396) Image search: [Google]
129574927576.jpg
59 KB, 700x396
So I am looking to get back into biking and was wondering if anyone could help me out. I used to bmx in my teen years and got pretty good. I had a Diamondback with a lot of custom parts. It got stolen so I quit at age 17.

I'm 22 now and really want to get back into that world, partly to lose some weight but mostly just to get me out of my apartment. There are some amazing street places within a minute ride from my place.

The last time I rode was almost 6 years ago. I hear a lot has changed with modern bmx bikes. My question is- what is a good intermediate 20-21 inch multi-purpose 3 crank bike? I am trying to keep it to about 22-27 pounds. I will be mostly riding street with some vert mixed in. Let's say 85% street 15% vert.

It needs to be a complete bike. I have about $410 to spend on it. The bmx place I went to earlier, the cheapest bike in the shop was like $500, which I could not afford.

So tldr. I am looking for a 20-21 inch 3 crank 22-27 pound bmx bike for under $410.
>>
Come on lads, already been to like 5 other boards with no help
>>
Doesn't /asp/ have a BMX general? We're not big on BMX here on /n/ since they're not great for transportation.
>>
>>955298
First place I posted, people told me to come here =/
>>
/n/ has some semi pro and sponsored level BMX riders, but /n/ is also slow as hell.
>>955298
They are also a good source.
>>
>>955285
>$410.

nope, nothing good. Try craigslist, maybe you will find someone who stole a bike and willing to sell it cheap. I couldnt even find a decent bmx for $410 15-20 years ago and I am sure they didnt get cheaper
>>
>>955325
There's actually a lot of decent bikes for the low 400's. The se everyday is like $350 and is a fantastic bike for the price. Then there are a few Diamondbacks for about $400 made for street. Then https://www.danscomp.com/products/102463/2015_Verde_Theory_Bike.html amazing freestyle bike.
>>
unless you get a good second hand deal, dont buy a bmx for that little money, it will be a piece of shit and you will just end up having to put more money into fixing it
>>
>>955349
It's either get an alright bike that I will replace certain parts in the future, or not ride at all. I will never have an extra $800 lying around. The $410 I have is after months of saving. I am left with very little after rent/food/utilities. I'm not going to be jumping 20 stacks. I'm not going to be flipping. I will be doing some box 360's, tailwhips, ice picks and the like. I just need a bike that will last me years if I take care of it.
>>
>>955285
Look up stolen bmx. A friend of mine has the culprit model and he loves it.
>>
>>955352
Thanks, I have heard of them actually. I will check them out!
>>
>>955351
If you cant afford to drop at least $1k on a bmx then your priorities are fucked. Just realize you will never be a little kid jumping and breaking bones again. You are just going to get old and tired, you may as well get a cheap used road bike, fix it up and get decent at riding that because at least you can ride a 10 speed when you are 80.
>>
>>955354
M8, I know pro's that practice on beginner bikes and then compete with $900 bikes. You are paying for a brand name when prices get above 1k. I got my sponsorship from 2 videos I put out riding a $300 oldschool Mongoose. Please just fuck off, you're a parasite in the bmx world.
>>
File: b.jpg (551 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
b.jpg
551 KB, 1600x1200
look at bikes from Haro, they're quite cheap and can be really tough! my first bmx was one of those (haro forum), cost me around 400 $ back in time, and it lasted for years (at least 4-5) although i've beaten it quite a bit

also, you should look for a bike with sealed bearings (hubs, bottom bracket, headset), it'll ride smoother for longer + less maintenance
>>
>>955403
Thanks for the advice, I used to have a Haro f4 back in the day. Nice little bike for casual freestyling
>>
File: image.jpg (34 KB, 342x298) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
34 KB, 342x298
My garage sale experience

>see bmx frame
>$30
>why not
>look closer
>"WARNING: not intended for jumps or stunting"
>fuck that nevermind

Why do these things exist?
>>
>>955298
I don't know about that. They are pretty God Damn efficient in the city.
>>
>>955441
walmart kids bikes lol
>>
>>955442
this
>>
new bikes are better now than in the early 2000s just buy a used complete off some kid on craigslist
>>
Bought mine a few months ago, and is hard as fuck to ride, i get tired in a few blocks of riding. Are all bmx three times harder to ride than a normal bike?
>>
>>955662
>off some kid on craigslist

listen you you little shit, im a full grown man looking to get back into BMX

you either take this $50 i have in cash for your fit bike co or im going to knock on your front door and tell your mom you just tried to sell me some pot
>>
>>956245
yes. they're teeny-tiny bikes.
>>
>>955285
>>955295
DON'T FUCKING BUMP YOUR THREAD AFTER ONLY 40 FUCKING MINUTES YOU FUCKING FAGGOT
Now go to /asp/. /n/ likes real bicycles, not little kid toy bicycles. Or go to fucking craigslist and pinkbike.com/buysell
>>
File: image.jpg (197 KB, 1080x1080) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
197 KB, 1080x1080
>>956289
/asp/ is a shithole

I mean this board is too, but at least the thread will stay around for a day or two and won't get overrun with pre-teen wrestling fans.
>>
File: image.jpg (128 KB, 960x540) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
128 KB, 960x540
>>956245
I can cruise on mine with 30/10 gearing and 110psi tires, but I can't sit down and pedal. The seat is positioned to stay out of the way while doing tricks. While riding trails or carving cement bowls or any transition, you don't pedal much. It's all about pumping and gaining speed from the last jump.

I've kept up with quite a few Critical Mass rides on it though.
>>
Thanks for all the advice lads. I went to a bike shop about an hour away where you can build your own bike. I got a Stolen frame, Wiz bars, Stolen rims and a Haro 3 piece. I got some nice brakes but I probably won't install them. I prefer brakeless for street.
>>
se everyday for life. everything is standard so replacement components are everywhere
>>
>>956439
I read some reviews on it and people say you pretty much need to put another $100 for better parts before you even try tricks on it. Lots of broken sprockets/chains/bent rims
>>
>>956449
you could just go into it knowing that you will be replacing parts

But thats probably true with most bikes
>>
>>955352
>>955353
>Stolen completes
Please no. NEVER go with ANYTHING from Stolen. If you're not going to build one, get a WeThePeople complete. If you have any further questions I would be more than happy to help
>>
So I got a good deal on a 2010 Eastern Night Prowler. Only thing is it was left out alot and had water damage. I took home disassembled, cleaned/ regreased everything and painted the frame and a few parts.

Now its so clean and rad looking, I'm too much of a pussy to actually ride it hard.
I think I fucked up
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.