[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Fulfill your dreams and buy awesome road bike >Decide
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /n/ - Transportation

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 11
File: u.jpg (3 MB, 2138x1203) Image search: [Google]
u.jpg
3 MB, 2138x1203
>Fulfill your dreams and buy awesome road bike
>Decide to take it to some soft forest paths
>Rear derailleur jams in to spokes
>Frame hook broken, wheel bent beyond fixability
>No money for repairs
>No profit
>>
>>955153
wheel back to performance bike

"i am unhappy with my road bikes ability to ride mountain trails, i would like to get a new one free of charge please"
>>
>>955154
what are you even talking abou,t on the photo you can see that these "mtb trails" are probably even better enviroment for a road bike than most cities are
>>
Shouldn't have taken the dork disc off if you're such a dork
>>
Sorry to hear that.

Would be interesting to know how the accident happened exactly though. Rear derailleur jammin into spokes sounds like an unlikely scenario UNLESS your gears are adjusted to shit or the rattling was so hard it somehow got stuck there.

Maybe the adjustments were shit right from the beginning? why not take it back to LBS and see what they say.

Either that or you are lying and had a major crash or something or you fucked something up and are too embarrassed to tell.

Sorry if I seem like a smart ass or something, but I really don't like to hear other peoples bikes break, because bikes are cool and cycling is fun.
>>
Did you buy it new? That happened because the low limit screw was not adjusted correctly. It's totally not your fault and it should be warrantied. Don't even mention the forest, that shits irrelevant.
>>
>>955153
>road bike
>'soft forest paths'
You fucking idiot, do you know nothing? A 'road bike' IS DESIGNED TO BE RIDDEN ON PAVEMENT NOT 'SOFT FOREST PATHS' YOU GODDAMNED MORON, THAT'S WHAT YOU BUY A MOUNTAIN BIKE FOR. Enjoy your ruined bike you stupid FUCK.
>>
File: gavia-4-best.jpg (723 KB, 1661x2195) Image search: [Google]
gavia-4-best.jpg
723 KB, 1661x2195
>>955174
This is just so wrong. A road bike can definitely handle light trails. The limiting factor is you might blow your tires or put your wheels out of true but that can easily happen on the streets too. People rode bicycles long before most roadways were paved or mountain bikes created.

Riding a road bike on typically unsuited terrain- underbiking- is incredibly fun.

Ops problem is 95% poorly adjusted RD and would have happened on a road too.
>>
>>955171

This.

Your bike was improperly assembled and tuned. Not your fault, unless you took a fall which damaged the rear derailleur or the hanger.
>>
>>955155
in that pic alone i see 15 little things that can fuck a road bike up.

get a hybrid, or a hard tail 27.5" mtb if you want to ride that trail

29er if you want to venture off the smooth part

despite what people tell you

mountain biking isn't as "extreme" as people tell you it is

these are the type of trails people ride with 29" mtbs

see how smooth their trails are?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MoC8pBcIzA
>>
>>955194

I only see a few things that can fuck it up...if OP is a retard and the bike isn't assembled properly.
>>
File: 1410013363753.png (1 MB, 1019x881) Image search: [Google]
1410013363753.png
1 MB, 1019x881
>>955174

wow u mad
>>
File: 2016_california_eroica_field.jpg (101 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
2016_california_eroica_field.jpg
101 KB, 640x480
my mind gets full of wtf when I see young adults dressed like the spice boys (dayglo troy lee design body armor and full face helmets) riding the up the same trails my nine year old daughter rides without any difficulty

doing a distance event on a forty three year old road bike (with equally vintage parts) on a combination of dirt and gravel farm roads is the most fun ride I've been on this year
>>
File: 20141012-5D3_7882.jpg (142 KB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
20141012-5D3_7882.jpg
142 KB, 500x281
>>955217
(continued)...
I ride steep logging roads and fire roads on my cyclocross bike, usually several times a week.

The downside is the tires are more prone to snake bite flats and my arms get tired from shock absorbing and hands sore from braking.

The upside is lots of fun "under-biking" and being able to practice and test my bike handling skills on skinny tires.
>>
>>955194
>see 15 little things that can fuck a road bike up.
Please enumerate.
I've been on streets and roads that have looked worse than that.
>>
>>955194
That trail looks smoother than the roads in my city. Short of hitting a tree or having a puncture, you just have to watch out for random rocks along the path and it's going to be fine
>>
File: Muppets-Group-Bicycle-Ride.jpg (195 KB, 540x460) Image search: [Google]
Muppets-Group-Bicycle-Ride.jpg
195 KB, 540x460
>>955153
>he didn't put tuffies in his tires
>he didn't check the high/low setting on the front and rear derailleurs
>expecting a bike shop and their 'seasoned pro' to test ride every bike outside the store for adjustments in the drive train

It's not the bike shops fault that you were an utter downtube. They just assemble out of the box and put them on the show room floor. It's your responsibility to take the extra step and make sure your shit is dialed in.

Like this guy: >>955180
There are no problems with riding a road bike on trails. Fuck, go back in history past the modern Tour races in Europe (there's even some dude who started a thread with black and white photos of vintage races). Many portions of those races had cyclists hauling ass down cobble stone roads, dirt roads, cattle crossings and all sorts of shit. If your bike is built properly, adjusted properly and set up properly, it can handle much abuse...of course you carbon-dream faggots need not apply here, but the point is, is that OP is a downtube and those of you who think road bikes cannot handle a bit of trail riding are just as downtube as OP, hahaha!
>>
File: jobsthouseride1982800.jpg (218 KB, 800x532) Image search: [Google]
jobsthouseride1982800.jpg
218 KB, 800x532
>>955180
>>955227
>Like this guy:

That guy is Jobst Brandt. A legend in the SF Bay Area. Easy to recognize because he was quite tall and usually on a bright yellow road bike. He'd go by like a freight train while I was struggling up Alpine Road.

Jobst had a weekly ride that started from his house, 351 Middlefield Road, Palo Alto, California. Many times, Cat-1 riders like Tom Ritchey would be there.

Jobst shared his very opinionated views about bicycle component design and smooth tire tread on the rec.bicycles.tech newsgroup back in the 1980s, long before the age of web browsers and www.

Fortunately much of Brandt's advice was preserved by Sheldon Brown.

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/brandt/
>>
>>955235
>That guy is Jobst Brandt. A legend in the SF Bay Area
Jobst was a brilliant engineer who didn't put up with inaccurate bicycle folklore or tradition. He wasn't a reckless stuntman, but he was a mechanical engineer who pushed the limits and occasionally broke crank arms and things like that.

Anyway... sorry for getting so off topic, but road bikes are strong enough to be ridden off-road and it is rewarding to do so and test your bike handling skills.
>>
>>955153
Clearly a baiting troll.
>>
>>955237

I think anyone who had a bike as a kid used it for everything it wasn't "supposed" to do.
>>
>He still uses derailers
Pleb, I bet you still slow down by squeezing your rim between blocks of rubber too.
>>
>>955153

Your bike was set up wrong if this is what happened:

You hit a bump, or you shifted into the lowest gear

And then the chain went between your cassette and the spokes

And then the bike suddenly stopped and was all fucked up.

If you didn't mess with the rear derailleur, then it's whoever sold your the bike's problem
>>
>buy bike
>it fucks up
>can't afford repairs

This either takes being a poorfag to a whole new level or bike parts are rediculously expensive.

If the latter then you were better off buying your average shitbox cage
>>
>>955249
i had a bmx bike when i grew up, that shit went everywhere
>>
>>955318

*Everywhere within about a one mile radius.
>>
>>955153
Same thing happened to me, except derailleur mount was replaceable, and wheel was able to be trued back into shape for $20.

Bring it to a shop and see what they say.
>>
File: 1463080620673.jpg (94 KB, 640x432) Image search: [Google]
1463080620673.jpg
94 KB, 640x432
Oh wows u disceredwered they cyclist is shit
buy car oh my god
obnlty sweat and costs omg cyclitst r gay af omg u figure it all pout omg
leaky tiry break chain they breaks stufff ommg no gravel all road 4x4 omg wut shieyt

BUY CAR HURRY

CYCLING WAS A MISTAKE
>>
File: IMG_20160513_131916.jpg (373 KB, 1156x650) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160513_131916.jpg
373 KB, 1156x650
OP Here.
Ive bought the bike used from some strange guy that didnt even ride the bike (rusted bolts, rusted chain). He said he bought it after some accident and he had to replace rear derraileur. I was going to set it up correctly because gear changing was shit but it was so fun i couldnt hold back.
First time it happened in this very very light Forest paths.derraileur staeted jamming into spokes but at low speed so nothing over a scratch. I tried to put wheel back on. I had to press in the wheel so softly that there was hub slack feel or otherwose IT would jam into derraileur.
Real shit happend at a Red light in town, 2 miles from the Forest. When i stopped or changed gears cant remember, wheel and derailleur just fell off and this happened. And yes i am a piór fag, i own car that was cheaper than this bike, and bike was really cheap for what it is. (2012 Trek alpha 1.5 350€)
>>
>>955194
The only things in that picture that will fuck up a road bike are the trees. And hitting a tree will fuck up a mountain bike just as badly.

Seriously if you can't ride a road bike in that type of trails you shouldn't be riding the bike in the first place. At least not without kiddie wheels.
>>
>>955180
This.
>>955174
Are you fucking BOTTOM BRACKET bruh. - Why so retarded?! - Soft trails are meant to be ridden with SOFT TRAIL BIKES!! It's the upcoming fad just when gravel bike freds realise how boring it is to ride exclusively on roads.
>>
>>955505
You are being an asshole, please stop it.
>>
>>955509
>namefag
>get blown the fuck out by anons
>s-stop being mean to me
Ayy
>>
>>955505
Road wheels are thrown out of true so damn easily. Unless you're riding one some like Alex rims entry level aluminum 10 pound wheels your average carbon road bike won't handle that stress.

And the head tube on a carbon bike will crack the second you throw your wheel into a ditch and mash to get out of it.

MTB frames run steeper headtube angles and front forks for a reason
>>
>>955514
Can you point out the rim and head tube busting points on that trail. Because I can't find any.

Can you tell me why my carbon wheels stay true and how my carbon frame is still in one piece when I regularly ride on gravel and hop on and off curbs on a daily basis. According to you both my bike and the rims should magically get busted as soon as they encounter the first crack in the road.

Can you tell me why do carbon frames and rims survive races like Paris-Roubaix? If what you're trying to claim was true they'd all catastrophically fail as soon as they reach the first pave section.
>>
>>955517
see
>>955045
Check namefield before posting
>>
>>955527
Please stop acting autistic.
>>
>>955530
You're the one willfully engaging with an actual autist
>>
>>955527
I think I called this kids bike shit once 4 years ago and he's still mad
>>
>>955537
Weren't you the one who had that sexy red and white stealthfighter bike?
>>
>be me
>get credit
>buy 3000 bucks carbon wheelset
>be excited and train with the new wheelset
>wheelset explodes
>?????
>debt
>>
File: Ayyyyyye.png (40 KB, 136x137) Image search: [Google]
Ayyyyyye.png
40 KB, 136x137
>>955580
>>
>>955548
That's the bike I called shit. His bike is on Craigslist right now for $120
>>
>>955514

Yeaaahhh...you're full of shit. Carbon bikes should all fucking disintegrate the second they hit a few potholes according to you. But they fucking don't.
>>
>>955514

You don't seem to actually know ANYTHING about bicycles.

It's pretty amazing how wrong you are about absolutely everything.
>>
>>955615
Other way around, I know more about bikes because I actually build and maintain mine.

You just know that you can jump your gas pipe 80's jap bike from 1984 Sears off a curb and not break it

I just build my shit with components that came out this century
>>
>>955615
This is what you get for engaging with an idiot. You could have prevented this.
>>
>>955724
sieg's been in hibernation (or possibly just migration) for a while now, so i don't blame anon for responding
Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.