[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Have any of you tried removing your chain as a theft deterrent
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /n/ - Transportation

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: vv.jpg (2 MB, 3178x2044) Image search: [Google]
vv.jpg
2 MB, 3178x2044
Have any of you tried removing your chain as a theft deterrent when leaving your bike unattended for a longer period of time? It seems like it'd be a great way to prevent theft, and relatively easy to do if you have a quick-release link.

You could then put the chain in a ziploc bag or something.
>>
>>954476
Bad idea. You're not supposed to re-use master links more than a few times (and some styles you're not even supposed to re-use once).
If you want something more than just a lock, try removing the saddle, or using some really lightweight lock to wrap through the spokes or something (something like this; I use one to lock my panniers to my rack http://www.evo.com/locks/dakine-micro-lock.aspx )
>>
Yeah the thief will totally not steal your bike if it doesn't have a $15 chain on it. Totally.
>>
At least here thieves don't usually ride the bikes they steal. They grab the bike and put it in a van that is waiting somewhere and off they are.

I doubt most of them would even notice there isn't a chain on the bike.
>>
Do you really think they wouldn't just grab the bike and walk off?
>>
>>954481
I've reused my KMC one at least 10 times
>>
>>954497
in any case if the bike seems worth it they'd just grab it and walk, catch a bus maybe. Especially if its late at night and you just left it outside.

Over here they often just part the bikes out.
>>
>>954493
>>954497
>>954502
>>954517
I meant to suggest that this would be in addition to the use of a u-lock. Say for example, you worked a 10-hour shift in a bad neighbourhood and wanted an extra safeguard.
>>
>>954476
>bike thieve are cripple and can't walk on their legs

Are you mentally challenged ?
>>
>>954521
They are idiots and won't notice the lack of a chain until they break the lock then they already have ti unlocked so they will walk away with it anyway
remove the saddle or wheel instead
>>
>>954521
Really, don't bother. It's not a part that is expensive to replace, so the value of the bike is intact, and that's all that matters.
Plus, removing the wheels would be faster, and you'd take off a good chunk of the value - so if you want to, take the wheels off.

>>954549
They're not idiots usually. They just don't care if they can't pedal the bike unless you live in the middle of nowhere - but then you probably don't need this sort of safeguard.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.