[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What does /n/ think about the Minneapolis Midtown Greenway?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /n/ - Transportation

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 16
File: Unknown-1.jpg (10 KB, 259x194) Image search: [Google]
Unknown-1.jpg
10 KB, 259x194
>>
>>954092

>>>>>948363
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 3872x2592) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 3872x2592
Looks a lot like the dequindre cut in Detroit.
>>
running a train/streetcar/lightrail would have been much better
>>
>>954092
It's excellent. I love riding the greenway. There's plans for several more greenways to be built in Minneapolis, I hope that happens.

The North Minneapolis Greenway will run from Shingle Creek (just north of the north edge of the Grand Rounds) south along Irving and Humboldt and end just north of Plymouth, with a possible later extension going to Bassett Creek or the Cedar Lake trails. They're going to put up road blocks or something as a trial for the trail this summer, and if that goes well, they want to make the actual trail.

The Southside Greenway will go from Gold Medal Park south through downtown, intersect the Midtown Greenway, go past Powderhorn Park, cross Minnehaha Creek and go past Diamond Lake. No immediate plans for this one.

The Great Northern Greenway will follow North 26th Avenue from Theodor Wirth to the Mississippi (and apparently that's going to be built this year, but I'm not entirely clear on whether it's going to be an actual bike trail or just bike lanes; hopefully the former), and then longer-term they want to have it cross the river on the railroad bridge (though BNSF so far has not been open to the idea), then meet up with that short east-west trail in Northeast Minneapolis, and then continue past that to that short trail that runs along the north side of The Quarry. The western stretch is supposedly happening this year, I don't think there's any immediate plans for the east part.

There's also going to be a new trail built this year from Boom Island north along the river to that railroad bridge (the same one they want to build a bike trail on for the Great Northern Greenway).

>>954103
>>954120
Fuck off trainfags.
>>
File: Greenway12.jpg (65 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
Greenway12.jpg
65 KB, 640x480
>>
>>954104
>Detroit
>all dem honkies
>>
File: image.jpg (484 KB, 2031x1148) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
484 KB, 2031x1148
>>954273
It's actually a lot like that. The bike scene in Detroit is thriving right now.
>>
File: Greenway28.jpg (76 KB, 700x525) Image search: [Google]
Greenway28.jpg
76 KB, 700x525
>>
>>954273
niggers dont have dads to tech them how to ride a bike
>>
I hear people get jumped on it but I've never had any issues riding at night.
>>
>>954154

I just wish they'd make a corridor from Medicine Lake up to Elm Creek. You can get up there, but it's a pain in the ass because a lot of the pavement on the way is completely fucked and the roads are high traffic in a way that is not very bike friendly.

It would be a super nice ride if there was a trail. Several lakes and parks along the way.
>>
>>954154
>I have no retort to the arguments from trainfags
>I will now continue to masturbate about a piece of infrastructure that costs hundreds of thousands of dollars and will only ever be sued by 5% of the commuters in the city
>>
>>954363

They are also putting a new light rail line in the same part of town that these greenway projects are happening, trainfriend.

Bike trails are just kind've a Minneapolis thing at this point. People enjoy having them around and using them, even if they are not commuting on them.
>>
Fug I love the greenway. It's very comfy. Lots of great rides with a former gf on the greenway and the bike paths of Minneapolis. Good memories.
>>
>>954362
I have ridden around Medicine Lake but never noth of there. I've ridden thousands and thousands of km in the Twin Cities metro and I know a lot of the trails but the northwest is still one of the areas I have yet to explore. I'll have to do it this summer.

What I would really like is for a trail to continue west along Highway 212 west of Chanhassen. That would be really nice for riding into/out of the cities.
>>
>>954120
..listen, buddy, I don't know who you are or what kind of cycling you do. Me, I'm a road cyclist on a local team. I train 6 days a week, and in a normal week the 7th day is in the gym doing core strengthening. Yesterday I did 30 minutes continuous at Threshold, a new PR for me. Looking at doing a TT this year, for the first time since I got hurt a few years back, and I think I can win one, or at least place in the top 5. Not bragging, just establishing who I am and what I'm about. Long rides at Threshold are no picnic.

There are two kinds of cyclists: Competitors, and everyone else. I don't care what kind of bike we're talking about, or what terrain you ride on, or how many days or how many miles a week, everyone falls into one of those two categories. The riders who are not competitors? They'll back off if it's starting to get uncomfortable. Why? Because they have *no reason* to push themselves that hard. In terms of training zones, if they push past Endurance and into Tempo or beyond, they won't stay there for more than a very short amount of time before backing off, because it's *uncomfortable* for them, and they don't feel the need to go that fast.

Competitors? They aren't pushing themselves to the point of it being abject suffering for no good reason, they know that on the other side of that suffering, there are *gains*. They know that as the mesocycles go by, they'll be able to go a little faster and a little longer because of that suffering, and they know that from those gains, comes getting that much closer to winning races, or that town-line sprint, or being first to the top of that big climb on the weekly fast group ride, or whatever it is that, for them, translates into 'competition'. Usually it's about some race or another, but it can even mean being the first to the top of that one big climb on the weekly group ride, or just beating your own PR on a set course you ride alone every week. There's a challenge, and they feel the need to meet it.
>>
File: MN River Bluffs.png (431 KB, 929x805) Image search: [Google]
MN River Bluffs.png
431 KB, 929x805
>>954448
>What I would really like is for a trail to continue west along Highway 212 west of Chanhassen. That would be really nice for riding into/out of the cities.

You can shadow 212 quite easily.

There's the MN River Bluffs LRT Regional Trail, which is REALLY nice; https://www.threeriversparks.org/trail-map.aspx?t=minnesota-river-bluffs-trail

Though last year they were having some erosion issues around trestle bridges near Chaska, so parts of the trail were detoured. To get to it, you ride the Cedar Lake Trail or the Greenway until you hit the Depot in Hopkins. Then you keep going west - the greenway will appear to end when it runs into a 62 overpass, but it doesn't! You just cross to the other side and pick up the River Bluffs trailhead.

There's also Pioneer Trail in that area, which is pretty nice riding along it's entire length and covers a HUGE swathe of the city.
>>
>>954474
Yeah, I've ridden the entire River Bluffs trail a number of times, I meant further west than that. If you get off the River Bliffs trail right where it crosses 212 by Miller Park you can go west around those two lakes (on either side of 101) and then there's a really short stretch (like a hundred meters) of trail extending west along 212 then it abruptly ends. I've been wanting them to expand that out west, ideally to Norwood or even Glencoe.
Or else ride the River Bluffs Trail all the way out like you said, then take those minor trails northwest to get back to 212. But even then, you can't really go any farther west than Chaska on trails.
And yeah Pioneer Trail is nice too. Taking Pioneer Trail from the River Bluffs Trail east, then going around those two lakes and ending at Eden Prairie Center is nice. Really cool trails around those two lakes.
>>
File: dakota rail trail.jpg (251 KB, 925x801) Image search: [Google]
dakota rail trail.jpg
251 KB, 925x801
>>954479

Have you done the Dakota Rail Trail? It's a glorious ride the whole way out to Lester Prairie. You could conceivably jaunt south to Glencoe from there.
>>
>>954482
Yeah, I've ridden that many times. I live west of Glencoe so I sometimes use the Dakota Trail when I ride into the cities. It's a great trail. There's plans to continue it west through South Silver Lake and I think to even meet up with the Luce Line near Hutchinson. That would be really nice for me, it would go within 6km of my house. The railbed already exists so it's just a matter of if/when they pave it all the way out.
>>
File: Minneapolis23.jpg (86 KB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
Minneapolis23.jpg
86 KB, 960x720
How many of you guys have the same outlook on cycling in Minneapolis that I have? And how many people in general see it this way?

It seems like most people who ride in Minneapolis (or who ride in general) ride to exercise or be outside or train for a race or commute or whatever. And some just like the feeling of riding a bike. But to me it's none of those things. To me it's the adventure. It's riding around all the trails (and roads) in Minneapolis, exploring new places, riding my favorite trails over and over. Whereas other people will go out and ride for exercise, and will ride the trails just because it's nicer than roads, it's not like that for me. It's going out on the trails because I passionately love the Minneapolis bike trails. And I don't go out to ride some specific route (well, sometimes I do), I just go out to ride in the city I love. I'll go out and ride for hours and hours and hours on end, with no specific destination or route, just riding where ever I feel like it. I end up near some trail I like? I'll go ride that trail for a bit. Then I'll go ride some other part of the cities. Maybe I'll stop at a park and climb a tree or something then resume my ride. It's about the adventure. The exploration. The city that I love, the trails that I love. I love Minneapolis and Minneapolis bike trails so fucking passionately. And I wish more people saw it the same way I do. It seems like everyone else riding in Minneapolis (and I may be mistaken here -- I hope I am) is either training because they race, or going out for exercise/fitness, or commuting. Or whatever. And when they're on the trails it's not because they passionately love those trails but just because it's nice trails and prettier/quieter/safer than roads.
I feel like I'm alone in my mindset. But maybe there's a lot more people like me than I think. Are any of you guys like this? Just riding for hours and hours and fucking hours in the greatest city on Earth... I love it so fucking passionately.
>>
File: Minneapolis9.jpg (233 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
Minneapolis9.jpg
233 KB, 1024x768
>>
File: Greenway11.jpg (113 KB, 700x525) Image search: [Google]
Greenway11.jpg
113 KB, 700x525
>>
File: 023.jpg (1 MB, 2448x3264) Image search: [Google]
023.jpg
1 MB, 2448x3264
>>954492
I like your mentality friendo.
>>
This thread makes me miss the Twin Cities.
>>
>>954492
that sounds fucking nice m8 - enjoy.
>>
File: Hiawatha bridge3.jpg (94 KB, 700x465) Image search: [Google]
Hiawatha bridge3.jpg
94 KB, 700x465
>>956061
Come back, anon!~
>>
>>956018
Check out the passed out slag on the left side
>>
File: Minneapolis14.jpg (76 KB, 720x477) Image search: [Google]
Minneapolis14.jpg
76 KB, 720x477
REMINDER

GROUP /n/ RIDE

MAY 21st

12:00pm
Meet at 44.9465134,-93.3181422
Free death cage parking on weekend days at the parking lot there for the anons who live too far away to ride from home.

I'll be wearing my /n/ jersey, meet me there
>>
[spoiler]mineapolis[spoiler] is the best
>>
>>960389
What is mineapolis?
>>
>>957831
How was it?

Pics or it didn't happen.
>>
>>960522
It didn't happen, no one except me was going to go so I didn't go
>>
File: Seattle-PS-tunnel.jpg (90 KB, 858x573) Image search: [Google]
Seattle-PS-tunnel.jpg
90 KB, 858x573
>>960528
>>
File: sad_pepe__feels_bad_man.png (139 KB, 917x871) Image search: [Google]
sad_pepe__feels_bad_man.png
139 KB, 917x871
>>960528
>>960918
Fuck I used teh wrong image. Lets try that again.
>>
>>960528
I don't frequent 4chan like I did at one point. I woulda showed up I'm in south mpls
>>
>>957831
Woulda been a comfy ride. I was riding in the south metro that day, mtb tho.
>>954492
I can pretty much feel this. I love Minneapolis and usually I really don't dig big cities. At all. As I said in the thread farther up me and an ex would ride the greenway on sloppy spring afternoons and just enjoy Minneapolis. It was a whole lot of fun and I miss it.
>>
>>960921
I think you're the guy I talked to about putting together a group ride a long time ago. Did you ever talk to someone called anon3140?
>>961212
>>960920
Let's all meet up sometime for a ride.
>>
>>960918
>special express

I wonder where it takes you.
>>
>>961248
what style of ride? like fast? or just a lakes cruise?
>>
>>961649
I'd be down for anything. If you want to do a 12mph casual ride, I'll ride my OTS and do that. If you want to do a 20mph road ride, I'll ride my race bike and do that. My favorite kind of riding is riding the paved trails (especially the Grand Rounds and the trails along the river) but I'd do whatever/wherever people want. Email anon3140 AT hushmail DOT com if you want to ride.
>>
>>961659
Emailed ya, I'm not big on lake trails too many people/children that I don't want to spook or say on your left to all day.
>>
>>961720
Are you Top Kek? I just now saw your post, I think I emailed you twice. I still had your email address from a few months back when we were talking about putting together a ride, so assuming that was you, I emailed both of your addresses thinking you were two different people.
>>
>>961248
>>>961659
>>961649
>>961659
>>960921
>>960528
top rapey
>>
>>954472
First time on /n/... can't tell if this is pasta or a legit post.
>>
>>963570
..listen, buddy, I don't know who you are or what kind of cycling you do. Me, I'm a road cyclist on a local team. I train 6 days a week, and in a normal week the 7th day is in the gym doing core strengthening. Yesterday I did 30 minutes continuous at Threshold, a new PR for me. Looking at doing a TT this year, for the first time since I got hurt a few years back, and I think I can win one, or at least place in the top 5. Not bragging, just establishing who I am and what I'm about. Long rides at Threshold are no picnic.

There are two kinds of cyclists: Competitors, and everyone else. I don't care what kind of bike we're talking about, or what terrain you ride on, or how many days or how many miles a week, everyone falls into one of those two categories. The riders who are not competitors? They'll back off if it's starting to get uncomfortable. Why? Because they have *no reason* to push themselves that hard. In terms of training zones, if they push past Endurance and into Tempo or beyond, they won't stay there for more than a very short amount of time before backing off, because it's *uncomfortable* for them, and they don't feel the need to go that fast.

Competitors? They aren't pushing themselves to the point of it being abject suffering for no good reason, they know that on the other side of that suffering, there are *gains*. They know that as the mesocycles go by, they'll be able to go a little faster and a little longer because of that suffering, and they know that from those gains, comes getting that much closer to winning races, or that town-line sprint, or being first to the top of that big climb on the weekly fast group ride, or whatever it is that, for them, translates into 'competition'. Usually it's about some race or another, but it can even mean being the first to the top of that one big climb on the weekly group ride, or just beating your own PR on a set course you ride alone every week. There's a challenge, and they feel the need to meet it.
>>
>>963573
>
go to some workout thread not transportation bitch
>>
>>963855
>>
>>963547
Yeah, sounds fun, but I'd definitely show up and scope from a distance first tho
>>
>>954273
whites are re-settling Detroit
>>
File: images.jpg (2 KB, 80x80) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
2 KB, 80x80
>>964078
"Not bragging, just establishing who I am and what I'm about."
>>
>>964784
>80x80
>>
>>954104
Minneapolis invented you
>>
>>954104
Do people actually cycling in jeans? That shit looks so uncomfortable.
>>
I ride that motherfucker every single day!
>>
>>954336
I can smell the asphalt facility to the right of the photo now!
>>
BUMP FOR MINNEAPOLIS
>>
>>960918
wow looks like the old transbay terminal in sf.
Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 16

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.