[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>he rides his bike on the sidewalk
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /n/ - Transportation

Thread replies: 113
Thread images: 16
File: ttJZghc.jpg (30 KB, 396x385) Image search: [Google]
ttJZghc.jpg
30 KB, 396x385
>he rides his bike on the sidewalk
>>
There are no hard and fast rules about what is best.
The real problem you have with people riding on the sidewalk comes from people riding on the sidewalk exactly as if they were on the road, and not considering the extra/different problems with the sidewalk. (Even if this 'problems' come down to 'cagers cannot be bothered to look')

So, so long as you're aware of the dangers; ride a bit slower, make sure no one is going to turn into you, all that, watch for driveways getting backed out of, or sped into, it CAN be safer to take the sidewalk if you need to.

There's a road around here with no shoulder and sand all over the place, which would be fine as it's a 25mph road, but drivers consistently do about 40mph there, and if you've gotta be on that road for any stretch of time, the sidewalk is your best bet.

>tl;dr
Don't be a faggot, cunt
>>
>>953811
>He rides his bike in the middle of the road
>>
>>953811

People get killed by drivers while riding bike in my country, I will stick to the sidewalk.
>>
I live in a big euro city with horrible roads. I try to stick to the road, but sometimes I must take a shortcut in the wrong road direction, so I stick to the sidewalk as not to cycle into incoming traffic head on, which is the most asshole move you can pull as a cyclist.
>>
>>954199
You're more likely to get hit on the sidewalk though
>>
>>954229
proofs?
>>
Motorized and human-powered transportation belong on segregated paths. As a good person, I do my duty by never cycling on the road.
I'm also a pedestrian, and when I see a bike coming up in front or behind me, I step into the grass, since bicycles don't perform as well in the grass.
>>
>>954230
>>954242
Cars aren't looking for bikes flying down the sidewalk when they pull out of and into parking lots.

Cyclists on the sidewalk are just as bad as bike salmon
>>
>>954202
Just pretend to be british.
>>
I ride like an old lady most of the time, and I'm not going to go out and block traffic in the street just because the lycra fags are insecure about their "status" on the road (despite a near total disregard for the laws thereof).

The rules on the sidewalk are different. Speed must be kept reasonable for the amount of foot traffic and visibility; pedestrians' right of way must be respected. The most crowded sidewalks are best avoided entirely. Riders have to be mindful of driveways and blind corners, and no go darting out into a crosswalk or any other place where cross-traffic won't see them coming.

Cops recognize this too, and will generally exercise their discretion and not enforce laws against riding on sidewalks when it's done in a safe manner. As with kids, homeless, etc, they'd rather see the slow cyclists cruising sidewalks than blocking the street.

If I'm in a hurry or just feel like riding faster, then I'll ride in the street. Otherwise, fuck that shit.

But yes, fuck all those faggots who fly down sidewalks like they're a bike lane, and jackoffs who use the sidewalk as a shortcut around traffic.

>>954249
You need to anticipate this sort of thing when you're riding. At sidewalk-safe speeds, it's not an issue.
>>
>>954854
I agree, but sidewalk-safe speeds are way slower than most people ride. Most cyclists shouldn't be using them much if at all.
>>
File: stowe-rec-path-3.jpg (105 KB, 571x321) Image search: [Google]
stowe-rec-path-3.jpg
105 KB, 571x321
>>953811
I do. Live in a mountain town where almost everything is considered "rec path." It's awesome, I can get almost everywhere without having to deal with cars. But there are places with no path so I just hop on the sidewalk. I also often ride without a helmet and in just shorts and a T-shirt, and I hope that this angers you even more.
>>
>>954229
Dumbest thing I've read today. Keep posting.
>>
>>954854
Mostly agree, but just know that there aren't just two options; on the sidewalk, or being in the middle of the street like a retired dentist.
The whole 'three right most useable feet of road' shit is fine.

>>954888
Seems you've already have brain damage
>>
>>954903
It's very urban here (Los Angeles) so roads where I can comfortably ride in the street out of the path of cars are the exception, not the rule. Generally, all shoulders are taken up by parallel parking or turn lanes. For the few streets with dedicated bike lanes, I try to avoid getting in the way of the much-faster road cyclists- they can be crowded at times.

I hear what you're saying, though. Separated bike paths are my personal favorite, as people in a rush tend to leave these paths to more leisurely riders and stick to the streets.
>>
File: what.jpg (106 KB, 744x864) Image search: [Google]
what.jpg
106 KB, 744x864
>he barrels through stop signs
>>
>>955036
This shit always baffles me. Especially when cyclists don't look both ways to make sure there's not a car about to ruin their entire life.
>>
>>953811
>>954229
> tfw I was yelled at by people on the sidewalk for not riding on the sidewalk
>>
>>955211
Yeah, you can't win. It's like everyone thinks they're the boss of you.
Cars shout at you to get on the sidewalk, and sidewalk fucks are outright mean, borderline abusive.

>>954974
I know the exceptions to the rule, I'm >>953815, but there's no denying the dangers that come with sidewalk riding in general.

>>955149
I usually try to get through an intersection as fast as I can, or simply stop and cross my arms, refusing to move until the other guys goes, because people here don't understand the concept of a 4-way stop, and throwing a bike makes them even more retarded.
There's been multiple times I wait, because I got there second, and the car doesn't go, so I finally get sick of waiting and start to go, but then that's the exact moment the car decides to go now, and we meet in the fucking middle; screaming match inevitable.

I always look, though.
>>
>>955253
Yeah, making it clear your hands are off the handlebars usually works well. When they still don't get the picture I point at my stop sign. If they still won't go and the intersection isn't busy, I will literally bike around the back side of the vehicle to avoid meeting in the middle like you said happens all too often, I just don't want to fuck with it.
>>
File: PREY SLAUGHTERED.png (125 KB, 419x236) Image search: [Google]
PREY SLAUGHTERED.png
125 KB, 419x236
I live in one of those European countries where cyclists are completely disregarded as 'the few poor people and children who don't have a car', so there are no dedicated bike lanes most drivers are assholes and I've seen bad shit happen when you try to rival their territory by driving on the street. The area I live in is particularly ghetto with streets that don't get renewed unless there's knee-deep craters in them.

I actually love riding on the street, but I only do it in remote areas and alley cat rides with no traffic. Otherwise I'll stick to the side walk. I drive careful and with a reasonable speed, especially when pedestrians are around, and I'm sure as fuck not ending up as a trophy with my head hanging above some cager's fireplace.
>>
>>954229
I've only ever been hit in the road, so fuck you.
>>
>>954249
Cars also aren't looking for pedestrians on the sidewalk.

So biking on the sidewalk is about as safe as walking or jogging. Which is to say, not super safe because fucking cager scum.
>>
>>955253
>There's been multiple times I wait, because I got there second, and the car doesn't go
Every. Fucking. Day.
Half the time they're looking at their fucking phone.
>>
>>953811
>he rides on the road
>when there's a bike path right next to him
Are these lycra-clad gits trying to get killed?
>>
>>956483
I should specify that I'm not referring to the sidewalk in this case. There's a narrow mountain road near my house that has a bike path to the right of it yet I've seen cyclists ride on the street every so often.

One time I was riding a bus when I saw this and the bus had to ride at 30kph because the bus was just wide enough that he couldn't swerve around him without risking colliding with a car coming from the other side.

Is this path seriously not big enough for these people?
>>
>>956486
They are retards and assholes. I would be the happiest person in the world if my area had bike ways like that. Look how smooth it is too. Damn.
>>
File: Fussweg-radfahrerfrei.png (15 KB, 130x204) Image search: [Google]
Fussweg-radfahrerfrei.png
15 KB, 130x204
>>
>>953815
Well in germany you're only allowed to ride the bike on the sidewalk when you're under the age of 12.
>>
>>953811
>he doesn't ring his bell before speeding past a pedestrian
>>
File: fuckers.jpg (65 KB, 564x583) Image search: [Google]
fuckers.jpg
65 KB, 564x583
>Live in Tokyo
FUCKING BICYCLE RIDERS.
>not cyclists
Damn faggots on mamacharis going on pavements, the WRONG WAY up a road, against traffic in the way of cars, cyclists, pedestrians. FUCK.

I had a thought that they should get on the fucking roads like actual vehicle users. But that would mean they'd be in my way. NO. Get them on the pavement away from me. Fucking liabilities all of them.
>>
>>956538
He's probly gonna eat that dog later.
>>
File: 1461589371462.jpg (203 KB, 1000x963) Image search: [Google]
1461589371462.jpg
203 KB, 1000x963
>>953811

I often roll on the sidewalk. I am often rolling off the street to an immediate place to shop. Iam slow. I dont fuck with pedestrians.

>I still get looks

Fuck you peds. I am not getting off my bike and walking those 15 metres.I am riding gods anointed stead. AND I AM SERIOUS.
>>
All the mexicans in California ride their shitty stolen department store mountain bikes on the sidewalk almost running into all the old chinese ladies that rip apart your garbage and leave is all of the ground to get at the bottles and cans
>>
>>956563
One part of my morning commute is a short dedicated bike path, located a couple feet away from a sidewalk where a few buses stop.

Because of the buses, there are always some pedestrians standing around, and for some reason half of them choose to stand on the bike path... especially when talking on cell phones.

Of course, every time I roll by one of them, they turn and look at me like *I'm* the asshole.
>>
File: 1452567857038.jpg (226 KB, 737x601) Image search: [Google]
1452567857038.jpg
226 KB, 737x601
>>956473
That's fine, but that doesn't mean it IS more dangerous, when you account for speed differences and blind spots and the like.

>>956519
It's also 'illegal' in NJ if you're an adult, doesn't change what I've said.

>>956563
I do hate these fucking suburban police.
I was rolling/coasting very slowly down a sidewalk along one of the two busiest streets in town.

As I come up to someone walking a dog opposing me, he actually fucking steps in my way. (WITH THE FUCKING DOG!!!) He's trying to tell me to get back in the street, after I just got told to ride on the sidewalk a couple blocks over when I WAS in the street.
Like, fuck you, son, way to punch fucking down. You're not he boss of me, fat old dude.
>>
>>956519
Sidewalk riding is indeed illegal in many (most?) cities in the US, but police will generally exercise discretion in citing people. Most of the time you won't get hassled for riding safely, unless you're a teenager on a skateboard.

>>956595
Dog owners are the fucking worst, and never seem to know that their dog likes to chase bicycles.

>Oh hey I'm sorry my illegally un-leashed dog chased you a quarter mile across a park, he's never done that before!
>>
>>956598
Oh, no, no. That was a good doggo, he didn't give a shit.
It was his asshole owner who made the effort to step in front of my bike, and drag his dog along with him, just so he could 'prove' his point.
>>
>>956469
You don't pay road tax, why are you complaining? No representation without taxation.
>>
>>956600
Not all dogs are problematic, but nearly all owners act entitled and take up way more than their share of whatever space they're in.

In particular, the asshats letting insufficiently-trained dogs off leash in parks or other public spaces, or the derps who are using cell phones and not paying attention while their not-at-all-trained dog wanders about on one of those 15-foot retractable leashes... ugh.

And when one of them has a dog that DOES spaz on them, they're never prepared to deal with it. I really ought to carry some pepper spray.
>>
>>956605
>problematic
>ugh.

Spotted the CJW.

>but nearly all owners act entitled and take up way more than their share of whatever space they're in.

Sounds familiar...
>>
>>956607
I'd agree that a cyclist who needlessly obstructs road traffic is about the same level of asshole as someone who's not paying attention to their dog and creating a moving tripwire across the sidewalk with the leash.

However, if I insisted on doing the former, I'd not be dealing with the latter.

>CJW
I'm sorry that you've run out of train threads to jack off to, but perhaps you should invest the energy in contributing to one of those rather than shitposting here.
>>
>>956602
>road tax meme
>>
File: 088_Jamova01.jpg (62 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
088_Jamova01.jpg
62 KB, 640x480
>bike lane on the road
>tightly swerves onto the pavement right in fron to the crossing
>only to go back down to the road right after
>making the whole thing basically twice as dangerous for the cyclist for no reason
>it's against the law not to use the bike lane

As long as I'm treated as second class traffic participant, I'm gonna swerve around on roads, pavements, whatever I like, fuck the cagers, fuck the peds :^L|
>>
What do you guys think of cyclists who ride in the door zone? I found this guy on YT and he openly flaunts his absurd riding style (riding directly in the door zone!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXfHZSszBXw
>>
>>956634
It's one of those things.
Ride in the doorzone, you get doored, because some motorists don't know/care about the doorzone.

Ride outside the doorzone, and you get harassed and possibly bumped or passed dangerously, again, because some motorists don't know or care about the doorzone.

I do it when I have to, slowly, and looking through windows to see occupants inside who might pop out.
It's one of the many reason I hate niggertining on cars.
>>
I never knew that riding your bicycle on where it was intended to be was a threat to mankind.
>>
>>956650
>where it was intended to be

The bicycle was invented before the cager conspiracy forced everyone else off the road.
>>
>>954229
truth
>>
>>956634
He's not riding in a door zone. That's the door of a single car, that he can clearly see into, with zero car traffic.

>>956638
Right. It's simply knowing when the door zone is actually LESS dangerous than the alternatives, and treating the cars like blind intersections when you're in range..
>>
What is the best method of carry on a bike?
Full frame or compact, is the weight difference worth it?
Is 9mm enough to penetrate windshields or should I use .45?
>>
>>956669
>being an american
>>
>>956669
.45 is lower velocity and lower penetrating compared to 9mm, it gets deflected more.
Windshields deflect (it will penetrate, but change trajectory) even by 45° most pistol calibers, just carry what you're comfortable with.
>>
>>956669
http://www.gunsandammo.com/personal-defense/taurus-get-off-me-gun/
Get urself a little guy gun
>>
File: Stevens-Bicycle-Rifle.jpg (321 KB, 827x1220) Image search: [Google]
Stevens-Bicycle-Rifle.jpg
321 KB, 827x1220
>>956669
You are now aware that something called "bicycle rifles/pistols" used to be a thing. Either mounted on top tube or across handlebars.
>>
File: 1438112179841.png (416 KB, 583x700) Image search: [Google]
1438112179841.png
416 KB, 583x700
It is illegal where I live. So I am stuck riding in the road even though I am a slow casual rider, wearing a suit during my commute.

It is always funny when I see women jog passed me.
>they are free to run on the footpath faster than I am riding
>>
File: 1461816104886.jpg (67 KB, 486x810) Image search: [Google]
1461816104886.jpg
67 KB, 486x810
>>954202
>not swerving through oncoming traffic on a bmx
>>
>>956559

If it was Korea or china, maybe.
>>
im wanting to get into cycling and i was wondering what the deal was in the uk.

were i am isnt too busy as far as footpaths go but im not too sure if there are bike lanes on the road

Also what would i wear if i was planning on going to college on my bike(which is just over a 3 mile distance) would i just be okay with the normal stuff i wear or? kinda seems like a silly question desu but id just like to know some things before i start
>>
>>956913
>3 miles
yeah you'd be totally ok. Only differences would be

>wear a helmet
>tug shoe laces on the pedal side in a way that cannot get caught in the chain/cogs
>be mindful of your pants, if they touch the cogs or chain you will get black marks on them

Everything else is just normal, in 3 miles you shouldn't even get sweaty unless it's all climbing.
>>
>>956917
yeah its mostly flat but with a kinda slope but when i go home its gonna be mainly up hill but id be nearly home anyway so its all good.

thanks btw
>>
>ITT sidewalk jockeys trying to justify themselves
Just get a scooter, you don't need a bike for the sidewalk...or walk. You are doing nothing but creating an obstruction and perpetrating the idea that bikes belong on the sidewalk. Srs, stop riding
>>
>>956999
What if I live in a city where riding on the footpath is legal, accepted, and mainly used to supplement the massive MUP/bike lane network?

>>956917
>not having a chainguard/chaincase on your bicycle
>>
If the sidewalk is empty, i'll ride sidewalk. however if there's a lot of pedestrian traffic on the sidewalk, I'll go on the road
>>
>>957087
>not having an oil free, quiet, Gates Carbon Driveâ„¢

Step up, senpai.
>>
>>956999
>scooter
You cannot use a scooter uphill senpai. There are also some bike paths along my route that I can go fast on, but in order to get to them I have to ride down the footpath.
>>
>>953815
>There are no hard and fast rules about what is best

it's illegal in most places m8
>>
>>956563

theres that and then theres faggots who literally ride on the sidewalk everywhere
>>
File: 1461869842604.jpg (22 KB, 413x356) Image search: [Google]
1461869842604.jpg
22 KB, 413x356
>>953811

I get in the way of sidewalk riders whenever I see them, fucking cunts.

It's illegal unless you are under 13 years of age, but we even get lycra bandits r riding on the fucking footpath

>riding on the footpath
>in the fucking CBD

they are the worst offenders I shoved a guy when he nearly ran me down while flying down a hill on the footpath and we nearly threw down

>runs a fucking red crossing light
>is yelling "get out of the way" as he careens towards me
>move and he still brushes me
>shove him and tell him to fuck off onto the road
>he jumps off his bike and gets in my face, we have a shouting match
>he eventually backs down and rides off, STILL ON THE FOOTPATH
>>
>>957184
>average Sydney citizen.txt
Actually if it was Sydney then you would feel that way about cyclists on the road too.
>>
>>957185
>tfw adelaide legalised it

Feels good skipping T junction reds hopping onto the pavement.
>>
>>957190
I do that anyway, I just dismount on the footpath walk down to the next road then remount and ride away.

I do not have anything inherently against riding on the footpath but I do not like to do it around people unless it is a designated shared path.
>>
>>954197
this pisses me off infinitely more than sidewalk riders
Unless you can move as fast as a car, get the fuck outta the way. Bike lane's over there.
>>
>>957194
>Bike lane
I wish those existed here.
>>
>>957194
What mystical utopia do you live in where 100% of roads have bike lanes? Please tell.
>>
File: autismz.jpg (30 KB, 373x327) Image search: [Google]
autismz.jpg
30 KB, 373x327
>>957179
I said ABOUT WHAT IS BEST, retard. Are you unable to read? As in; what is best, there isn't a hard and fast rule, because it's mainly situational.
Like myself and other posters have said, there can be times, when proper precaution is taken, where it's the better option to take the sidewalk.

Obviously, the legality of it's set. In my state, I cannot legally be on the sidewalk.
>>
>>957179

I'd rather break a law that nobody ever enforces than get killed being a fucking retard.
>>
>>957270

In my state, it's legal to ride on sidewalks as long as it isn't in a zoned business district, and you are at 'a reasonable speed'. Even then, there are legal provisions that let you do it 'to avoid danger and avoid obstruction vehicle traffic'. Basically you're fine so long as you don't run anyone over.
>>
>>956999
Where I live, even the bike cops use the sidewalk in certain places where the road is really dangerous.
>>
>>957179
So is jaywalking and watering your lawn in the rain.
>>
>>957194
lol wtf
there
are
no
bike
lanes.

>>>/o/
>>
Jezza Clarkson was bloody right about you gay lads

Take the fucking redpill, stop being such numale cucks and get a fucking care you pussies
>>
>>957307

Most of us do have cars, fatass.
>>
>>953811
It's legal in my country.

Fuck the road, drivers intentionally hit cyclists and I don't want to die for petty reasons like car owner egotism.
>>
Riding in the right side of the road is a pretty good solution. Y'all fucked up by abandoning bikes and letting cars monopolise the roads.
>>
>>953811
It's legal where I live so I do it. I was riding to work and I saw this cyclist on the road get pushed toward the path by some shithead, decked off his back and rolled halfway down a hill like a retarded Sonic the Hedgehog.
>>
>>953811
>he lives in a country that actually has a population to speak of
I live in the capital and drive whereever the fuck I want because everything is practically deserted anyway
>>
>>954854
At sidewalk-safe speeds there is no advantage to cycling over walking.
>>
>>957194
>>957306
All lanes are bike lanes, except on limited access motorways.
>>
>>959721
You're stupid. And wrong.
>>
>>959721
If you're going at a decent jogger's pace, you have the speed for a lot less effort. It's objectively better.
>>
>>957571
We don't all live in Tashkent or Oulan-Baator or whatever shit hole you live in
>>
>>957302
why would you water your lawn in the rain, sempi?
>>
>>959745
Fuck the police
>>
>>953811
Never seen anyone bar children do this.
>>
>>959745
BECAUSE FREEDOM
BITCH
>>
>>956538
Why does /n/ hate my majestic salmon ass? Its safer to ride against one way traffic then it is to ride with one way traffic
>>
>>953811
i literally run over faggot cyclists in the street. you belong on the sidewalk or 6 feet under.
>>
>>960052

Probably because a lot of us drive cars, and some of us have run people like that right the fuck over.
>>
>>960052
How the hell have you convinced yourself that it's safer to go against traffic?
>>
>>960090
Try harder faggot
>>
>>960148
>times ve been hit swimming to my homeland
>times iv3 b3en swipped and hit from behind following laws
FFFFFUCKING ALL OF THEM

Rather the devil you see then the one you dont
>>
>>960167
http://www.bicyclinglife.com/Library/riskfactors.htm
See table 4.
>>
>>956469

turkey is not europe
>>
>>956469
szia
>>
>>954229
anything you say can be ammended to include: if you're a moron.
>>
>>962866
or: if you're astronomically unlucky.
>>
>>953811
>he doesnt play pedestrian pinball
>>
>>957190
Yeah no shit, especially coming off a non-arterial road onto a main road where there's lights. Basically Daws, Fullarton, Unley, Cross Road.

>feelsgoodman
>>
>>956602
I'm starting to doubt if people are actually memeing with this or not
>>
>>959745
Not enough rain.
>>
>implying the highways in Bumfuck, Nowhere have bike lanes
Thread replies: 113
Thread images: 16

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.