[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>tfw going around in my bmx at high speeds on thin footpaths
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /n/ - Transportation

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 8
File: bdass boong.jpg (122 KB, 470x608) Image search: [Google]
bdass boong.jpg
122 KB, 470x608
>tfw going around in my bmx at high speeds on thin footpaths scaring the absolute shit out of pedestrians by swooping past them without ringing my bell

You should stop being a beta bell ringer and try this shit out. It's really fun, and the angry reactions from people are priceless. Like, it's so fun and hilarious that I'm thinking of buying a GoPro, filming my shenanigans, and uploading to YouTube.
>>
>>952596
I do that but only when they're walking on the bike path (that'll teach them). Doing that on the foot path is completely retarded.

Also i like to hit the brakes hard when being behind them so they hear the screeching of my tires and they jump of surprise/fear. This is really pricelesse because they know they're are guilty and often move away and apologize.
>>
I've scared the shit out of pedestrians WITH my bell.

I don't want a bell on my fixie because it ruins the aesthetic. Apparently i'm the worst kind of faggot.

A bell is legally mandated equipment where i live.
>>
Yeah I've had so many people yell at me to use my bell. I try to stay off of shared pedestrian/bicycle paths these days but sometimes it's convenient to use them. Old people often gasp and have a heart attack because they are unfit fucks who haven't done any exercise since highschool.
>>
>>952604
You're the worst kind of faggot.
In fact you're such a faggot, you'll probably like this cause it draws attention to the fact you got no shifters.
>>
Bells don't work, asking to pass doesn't work, saying "on your left" doesn't work, my shoulder slamming into them seems to work and then most of them apologise
>>
>>952607
>group of people (usually women) on bike path

>scenario 1: ring bell.
>women turn around
>see that I'm not right behind them yet
>ignore me
>ring bell again
>they turn around
>some complain
>others laugh
>then they start to sort out who might want to move out of the way in what direction
>bump into each other
>more laughing and complaining
>after about a minute I can ride on
>half a mile down the path, another group

>scenario 2: ride through the narrow gap they leave open, as fast as possible before it closes again
>hear them complain way behind me
>gone
>>
>>952611
>shoulder slamming into them seems to work and then most of them apologise
Is that because you're a big guy?
>>
>>952611
An air horn works.
A bulb horn also works, and it's funny as hell.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3NF9VW3o9Q
>>
>>952614

UUUU
UUU
UU
U
>>
I don't ring my bell because it's more dangerous if I ring it.

>ring bell
>90% of pedestrians just STOP AND TURN TOWARDS YOU

which is absurdly dangerous

>don't ring bell
>just silently swoop by

I mean I feel a little sorry when they go "Uuuh!" but for fuck's sake they should AT LEAST be careful when they're on bike only paths when there's a sidewalk.
I've been riding for just like 3 months and EVERY TIME I use the bike lane, with a sidewalk right next to it:
>people in the middle of the lane checking their phone
>happy couples that go hand in hand right in the middle of the path
>entire families strewn across the whole two lanes
>>
File: gtfodawaY.jpg (88 KB, 534x712) Image search: [Google]
gtfodawaY.jpg
88 KB, 534x712
I never say anything if I can get by them w/o hitting them. I hate when other bikers yell "On your left" from 20 ft away when they have plenty of room to go by.
>>
>>952633
I've had enough instances of people wandering randomly across the path that I call out to everybody unless it's crowded.
>>
File: I_was_squirrelized.jpg (42 KB, 383x510) Image search: [Google]
I_was_squirrelized.jpg
42 KB, 383x510
family rules:

1) always use as much of the roadway as possible, placing elderly, small children, and dogs on long leashes on opposite ends to maximize space

2) hearing or sensing danger, most of the group moves towards one side, the remainder to the other side

3) at this point the center of the roadway is clear, then a parent will yell to their kids on the opposite side of the road to "stay there, don't move", which of course has the opposite effect and a significant portion of the group decides to change sides

steps 2 and 3 are the same for people and squirrels
>>
>riding a bmx
>on the sidewalk

I'm sorry I thought 4chan was 18+
>>
>>952609
You're right. I do like this, as far as bells go.
>>
>>952663
Pretty much this.
I would rather be that dork who calls out or says "excuse me", as I come up to a group of people, rather than having one of them walk in front of me and crash.
Besides, if I'm riding on a bike path and not the road, I'm not really concerned with going fast.
>>
>>952596
just use a bell and don't be such a fucking faggot OP
>>
>>952671
fuck squirrels. I ran one over and broke the spine, scurried away with front legs only. that fucker was moving his fucking tail when i was approaching and just charged towards my wheel just when i was passing. either they are attempts at suicide or they are just fucking dumb.
>>
>>952671
>>952876
Whenever I see a squirrel close enough to the road/trail that looks like he might be on suicide watch I look at him and make a "PSHHHT!!" sound. 10/10 times it scares the little fuckers right up the nearest tree like they just heard a hawk screeching.

It's really effective. Like, moreso than trying to yell or scream at them and you don't even have to do it very loudly. It must trigger some flight mechanism in their brains.

I can't remember having any close calls with them recently or since I started doing this. Plus it's p lolzy to see them fly off into the trees all haphazardly like they do.
>>
Hello this is my first time on /n/ and you guys are a bunch of faggots.
>>
People bitch when I alert them, people bitch when I don't. Most of the time nobody cares. So now I only alert when there's a group of more than 2 or kids are involved. It's a MUP so they really can't be mad when cyclists ride fast on them.
>>
Hit my first pedestrian about a month ago, smarmy fucker jumped into the bike lane on his phone without looking and I had no time to stop, so I slammed my shoulder into his back and kept riding. He didn't get hurt and I kept going.

I've basically stopped using bike paths in NYC because I have more close calls with pedestrians and cab doors than when I ride in the street, people tend to be more careful when there's a chance of getting hit by a car than when they might cause a cyclist to crash.
>>
From my observation, ringing a bell is way more dangerous than just blowing past someone if you're in the US. Nobody seems to know how to deal with it, so you're more likely to have them dive in front of you than anything else. I didn't think it was as bad in some other countries, but it also varies by city I guess.
>>
>>952596
Yes, please, get a GoPro and record your 'shenanigans', it'll make the case against you so much easier for the police when you get arrested, they'll have iron-clad evidence of your recklessness endangering of the public.

Jackass.
>>
today on a paved multi use trail i passed a gorillion people w/o saying anything- mostly i just go off road for a few ft and get back on. One cuunt gave me a dirty lookk like i was gonna tear up the grass or something. I did the "OYL" only 3times for ppl w/ doge and 1 mtb bro. On a side note I saw 2 old ladies sitting on a bench next to 2 wal-mart full suspension shits.
>>
File: 666239.jpg (93 KB, 800x532) Image search: [Google]
666239.jpg
93 KB, 800x532
>americans can't handle traffic pt.43

pfft, it's like you don't even have to commute through 500 year old streets
>>
>>953628
looks a lot nicer to ride on than bombed-out murrican streets full of asshole drivers
>>
If it's really little kids I always slow down to a crawl. Same with dogs. With bigger obstacles I just pass where I can, off the pavement if needed.

When alerted, most sluts and old people tend to hop in a random direction, AND THEN look over their shoulder.

Altogether it's better to avoid paths with heavy pedestrian traffic.
>>
File: Haro Dart.jpg (53 KB, 500x353) Image search: [Google]
Haro Dart.jpg
53 KB, 500x353
>>952596
>bmx at high speeds
Get one of these breh
>>
File: rossin tetto.jpg (96 KB, 1200x654) Image search: [Google]
rossin tetto.jpg
96 KB, 1200x654
>>953637
I see your 'high speed, breh' and raise you a front valance
>>
>>952615
Sounds like some mad pooping.
>>
>>952596
There are retarded combined bike paths with pedestrian paths here. They are a nice 4 meter wide but somehow 1 or 2 pedestrian can ensure no one can pass them and they refuse to move. I never bothered installing reflexes, lights and a bell on my road bike to make it street legal so I just power past people at 40-50km/h.

That leaves them no time to swerve into my path like they always do if you use a bell. Most of them give me the evil eye or shout something. And if I'm forced to brake and slow down because they don't move I just shout "gtfo of my way you fucking fatties. You can impossibly be wider than a wide load truck so move the fuck over retards."
>>
>>952613
I've considered taping a propane driven signal horn on my bike when driving. Maybe that will catch those idiot's attention.
>>
>>953115
It's just as bad in countries where people actually ride bikes a lot and walk. It feels like it's always the first time they ever encountered another person on a bicycle that rings a bell. I've had more close encounters when ringing a bell than not. Just try to analyse their walk pattern and run past them with at least two feet safety marginal.
>>
File: mtbbell.jpg (45 KB, 496x609) Image search: [Google]
mtbbell.jpg
45 KB, 496x609
Should I get this miniature steel cowbell that sounds like a death rattle to anyone.

Opinions?
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.