[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Entry level roadbike?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /n/ - Transportation

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 7
File: download.jpg (11 KB, 277x182) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
11 KB, 277x182
Trek 1.1c 2016 or giant defy 5? Is the carbon fork on the 1.1c worth the 110 dollars? Are neither of these good? Have about a 800 dollar budget. I've been commuting about 60 miles a week on a trek 4500 mountain bike. Is it worth the upgrade?
>>
Also I live near hills and prefer a 34 on the front and 28 on the back
>>
>>952188
buy used you fucking melon
>>
>>952188
You could also consider a Specialized Allez E5, that and the two you listed are all fundamentally the same bike except for the Giant which is cheaper with an alu fork.

Between those three I would pick based on what dealer is nearest to you and what business you want to patronize, since odds are you'll be equally happy on any of those three bikes.
>>
>>952190
I would but I want the warranty bc I'm a fat fuck and likely to Crack frame or fork
>>
>>952196
Your mom is a fat fuck and can crack my fork anytime ;)
>>
>>952196
Get whichever has the biggest tyre clearance.
And yes, carbon fork if you can.
>>
>>952196
Then keep riding until you're not a fat fuck and THEN get a top-tier road bike that's been lightly-somewhat used but still in great condition off cl or ebay for a good deal. 3 yo used good road bike >>>> entry lvl new at your pricepoint.

Put some slicks on your mtb and pump up the tire pressure in the meantime. It'll help you get to work on time.
>>
>>952196
How fat is fat?
>>
Look if Bulls bikes are sold anywhere near you, probably the best value for money there is and they have a good selection of entry level bikes.
>>
>>952188
>Entry level roadbike?
B'twin.
>>
>>952202
>get a carbon fork
>he's a fat fuck

what's the fucking use.
>>
>>952196
get a fuji bike maybe, the frames pretty good.
>>
File: csm_STAGE_0529c9d243.jpg (151 KB, 1500x999) Image search: [Google]
csm_STAGE_0529c9d243.jpg
151 KB, 1500x999
Radon is good if you're in Germany (or Europe maybe, don't know how far they ship)
>>
I would avoid carbon forks on a commuter. I have a hard on for Kona and this is probably overpriced but...

http://www.konaworld.com/rove_al.cfm
>>
File: grater-1-new.jpg (292 KB, 1200x612) Image search: [Google]
grater-1-new.jpg
292 KB, 1200x612
Another option would be a Charge Grater if you think you're not ready for drop bars. This is like $700. 1x front is great for urban commuting

http://www.chargebikes.com/grater-1/
>>
Finally, Jamis. The king of commuter bikes IMHO.

Coda is a top tier flat-bar commuter bike.

But there are other options. One being the renegade which is an "adventure" bike you could take on easy off-road / gravel trails. Fat tires make commuting better

The other is the Quest which is a standard road bike, all steel

http://www.jamisbikes.com/usa/renegadeexile.html
http://www.jamisbikes.com/usa/questsport.html

I would avoid the renegade because carbon but maybe it's for you
>>
OP desu a road bike is gonna change your life and for $800 you could get a very VERY nice bike on craigslist.

If you have the energy and will to do it, look for an old cannondale road bike. Go check it out and make sure the wheels are straight / no rust / etc. Make sure it fits

You could probably find one for $400-$600 and have lots of money for a better saddle / tune up / better tires

A really nice, high TPI set of road tires will make your ride a lot more fun. Something like a Vittoria Rubino Pro is a good call. 28c and over for a commute is ideal because fat tires = comfy
>>
>>953321

There is a steel renegade as well
>>
>>953321
>alexrims
make sure to budget another $800 or so for real wheels
>>
>>952196
nigga get an old steel bike
>>
File: Mach_Bike_ORAS.png (391 KB, 622x599) Image search: [Google]
Mach_Bike_ORAS.png
391 KB, 622x599
>>952188
Buy a titanium frame and maybe start with cheaper components you can switch out later when you have a comfortable amount of money again. Then you don't have to filter out as much of the giant logo brandage on all these well designed road bikes. cuz they're all grey.

Or you could buy a nice touring bike. Those are cool.
>>
>>952196
I see 300lb people on carbon road bikes much more often than I should...
>>
>>953323

and it's stupid hot.
save up a little bit more and get it.

it's crazy nice.
>>
>>953546
>that saddle angle
>that giant fucking light
>no shifters to be found
>single chainring
>that brake cable
>platform pedals
0/10 would not ride. Pokéballs on the hoods are cool though.
>>
>>953816
Hey fuck you
1x chainsets are the future.
>>
>>953270
270 but losing about 5 lbs a month for about a year
>>
>>953816
nigga, what if the shifting is done through wireless electronicshit? then you may can't spot a tiny dot behind the pokeballs but there you go. your autism is really amazing, nigga
>>
File: ernest-gagnon-cyclist-0.jpg (91 KB, 600x374) Image search: [Google]
ernest-gagnon-cyclist-0.jpg
91 KB, 600x374
>>952196
>>
>>953860
Why is he still fat?
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.