[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>not using disc brakes are you a downtube?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /n/ - Transportation

Thread replies: 82
Thread images: 13
File: discbrakeleluci.jpg (94 KB, 900x599) Image search: [Google]
discbrakeleluci.jpg
94 KB, 900x599
>not using disc brakes
are you a downtube?
>>
>>951948
Forced meme is forced.
>>
if you really want to force this meme why dont you take it to /b/
>>
>he needs a disc brake on his rear wheel because he has weak, feminine hands
oh my god dude, i shiggy diggy...
>>
File: cap :n: veal steak.png (246 KB, 678x678) Image search: [Google]
cap :n: veal steak.png
246 KB, 678x678
>>951948
this cap is prescient, considering the recent accident that led to the UCI ban
>>
>>951948
>le forced may-may xDDD
>look mom, I posted it again!!!
>>
>>951948

Bb disc fixie is pure uptube patrician of highest caliber
>>
>>951948
> Brakes
> wheel starts coasting
>>
>>952124
yeah mate,ever heard of coaster brakes?
>>
>>952124
It's a fixie, a dumb brake for a dumb bike.

>>952126
A coaster brake still coasts when the cranks stop rotating, that's the whole point. For that setup to work with a coaster brake you'd first have to back pedal and then apply the disc brake.
>>
>>952131
Way to build a fixie back brake that doesn't work if the chain breaks or jumps. What's it supposed to be good for?
>>
>>952132
Like I said, it's a dumb brake. They either did it just for the heck of it or it's designed for people with really weak legs.
>>
File: 1355331549061.jpg (4 KB, 385x335) Image search: [Google]
1355331549061.jpg
4 KB, 385x335
>>952131
>>
>>952144
>I was only pretending to be dumb!
>>
>>952147
Youre an asshat
>>
>>952163
And you're a fucking bottlecage.
>>
>>952164
shut up you Ultegra Di2 junction box
>>
What's so bad about down tube shifters?
>>952144
>>951948
>>
that thing looks like a recipe for a broken chain and a serious injury
>>
>>952166
No such thing. The E-tube A and B junction boxes are not Dura-Ace or Ultegra specific.
>>
>>952191
>broken chain
How so?
>>
>>951948
I have disc brakes on two of my bikes, rim brakes on the other two. Am I a downtube?
>>951972
Get downtubed, Fred.
>>
>>952166
That's the best insult yet, considering how pure shit Di2 is.
>inb4 poorfag
I've ridden Di2, I fucking hate it. I even could have gotten full Di2 for my road bike for cheap (thanks to connections), opted not to not because of cost, but because it's fucking shit.
>>
>>952223
Disc brakes are powerful and chain will get under enormous stress. Also lots of sudden sharp changes in stress. I guess that's also why chains snap more often when mountain biking.
>>
>>952234
>>952223
And no brakes after lost chain. So i hate to say that but that really is a downtube brake system.
>>
>>952144
>>952227
Please stop shitting up the board with your autistic posting. Take your forced may-may to some other board.
>>
>>952066
How's this any more "dangerous" than the fucking cranks?
>>
>>952265
maybe because a disc brake is like hundred degrees hotter ?
>>
>>952267
>is like hundred degrees hotter
Anyone have a reputable source as to how hot discs get?
>>
>>952269
You can spit on them after heavy use and get a nice sizzle so fucking hot. Of coarse they don't just burst into flames cruising around.
>>
>>952267
>implying the air vortexes created by pedalling with high enough cadence won't cool them discs
>>
>>951948
what are you a saddle? you like to sniff on mens asses huh? faggot.
>>
>>952132
>Way to build a fixie back brake that doesn't work if the chain breaks or jumps. What's it supposed to be good for?

lol I didn't even think of this

but it's still safer than brakeless fixays, since they all have that risk
>>
>>952281
yeah they wouldn't. A little stream of air like that wouldn't be enough to dissipate the heat built by the energy of descending 80kg over one kilometers. At least it won't be enough to dissipate heat below a point were the disc brakes are not burning hot.
>>
>>952299
I wonder if areodynamic rotor covers made to channel airflow would improve the cooling.

Anyways it's not like brake heat is such a huge issue, or it is? I don't see roadies putting the stress and weight a downhill user would put on brakes, and yet nobody really suffers from rotor heat, while hydraulic fluid overheating is a thing (and a great reason to use mechanical disc brakes.)
>>
>>952307
>if areodynamic rotor covers made to channel airflow would improve the cooling
Theoretically, but you're never going to get it cool enough not to burn skin. A cover would also likely be heavier, less aerodynamic, and less effective than just increasing the surface area of the disc by adding fins.

>Anyways it's not like brake heat is such a huge issue, or it is?
When the disc is right next to your ankle it is, it doesn't take much to raise them to dangerous temps. Regarding road versus DH, yes there's less weight on the road bike but the discs are also smaller and the speeds are higher in some instances and over longer braking durations.
>>
>>952310
>but you're never going to get it cool enough not to burn skin
Who cares, that's never going to happen unless you lie the bike on your leg. Brake fade is the issue, here.

>When the disc is right next to your ankle it is
It never is, unless you lie the bike on your leg m8
>>
>>952299

That's interesting

If internal gear bottom brackets become cost efficient, we might see the crank rotor become an actual thing

The risk of chain failure could be mitigated with the front brake.

Crank rotor is a great feature for dealing with rain, and compatible with any type of bike since there is always extra space on the left side of the bottom bracket

So we could have road bikes with cooled disc BB brakes, and a regular road caliper in the front
>>
>>952316

Wait I'm not thinking clearly, the internal gear bottom bracket would have to be "fixed gear" with the rear wheel as well

That's a whole new thing and I don't know if that's technically possible. But maybe?

Coaster brake BB on a fixed chain would be a sucky option but nobody wants that
>>
File: CH1134_large.jpg (40 KB, 432x480) Image search: [Google]
CH1134_large.jpg
40 KB, 432x480
>>952310

It would be very easy to set up a bash guard situation on the left crank. A big one, to make it impossible for your leg to touch the disc.

You could also make them full of aero holes to prevent any heat capture (or even make them into mini fans)
>>
>>952311
Even so, enjoy your livestock branding if you ever fall of your bike. But maybe that also "never going to happen".
>>
>>952327
Since disc brakes are behind the chainstays and fork arms, my least concern would be getting burnt by them if I fell. I'd be more concerned about getting cut up by them, or by the chain, cogs or any mech really, with the worst being thrown OTB with the bike slamming on me.

Plus if you're a roadie, asphalt burns much, much more than any disc brake if you're going at any reasonable speed.

It's literally about as concerning as getting your hand pinched in rim brakes. Rotors getting hot are a peformace liability, not a safety one, and with long hard descents hydraulic brakes can be prone to failure because of the liquid overheating which IS a safety issue as you lose all your braking. I don't know how likely it is, but afaik that's the main source of issues.
>>
>>952328
>which IS a safety issue as you lose all your braking.
No, you don't. Your brakes will start to drag and eventully lock up from pressure building up within the system, but you will not lose the brakes unless there's a catastrophic failure somewhere or the brake fluid is heavily water contaminated. Brake fade is something different, and rim brakes suffer fade way worse than discs do because of bits of rubber that doesn't cool well and wildly changes properties as temperature changes.
The one saving grace is the massive heatsink that is an aluminum rim. If carbon you need to be a fucking Pantanti mountain goat. I'm way too Clyde for that shit.
>>
>>952311
Erm, I thought we were talking about the OP image. Follow the links back from the post you replied to.
>>
>>952328
ok there is a bit of missunderstanding i think. I'm talking about OP's pic, which i think is dangerous because your legs are simply to close from the disc brake.

But yeah i'm ok with you, disc brake in a normal position (so not on the crank) seems safe to me.
>>
>>952366
>>952364
Wasn't the image on the OP just trolling? That thing doesn't make sense. Doesn't even exist, I think, apart from a couple of joke builds.
>>
>>952377
It exists, but I think only as a one off custom build (you can't buy the bike or frame). It's not a troll bike (i.e. not intentionally dumb), it's just following the retarded hipster fixie logic.
>>
>>952227
Are you just trying to let us know you're cool?
>>
>>952229
You've never ridden di2.
>>
File: motogp__gp_0539.big.jpg (154 KB, 1200x675) Image search: [Google]
motogp__gp_0539.big.jpg
154 KB, 1200x675
How come Moto GP riders can ride close together at 250kph with giant exposed discs but these spandex warriors are afraid of some tiny metal rotors?
>>
>>952509
cyclists aren't wearing armor
>>
>>952509
Why do people complain about cyclists being clad head to toe in neon colors and sponsor logos?
>>
>>952523
because nobody gives a shit about motogp

>>952412
maybe he's the resident sram shill
>>
>>952299
I said high enough cadence.
Anyway, why not immerse the disc in oil? Like with IGH's. It would cool it pretty cool, no?
>>
>>952509
good luck cutting yourself on that.
>>
>>952584
Disc brake are mostly working during descending and, usually, your cadence during descending is 0rpm so...
>>
>>952584
Please go smear some butter or oil over your discs and go down the steepest hill you have handy.
>>
>>952606
It's spelled schmear.
>>
>>952661
Be less american. And jewish.
>>
>>952068
>>952241
downtubers detected
>>
>>952299
>No space between the number and the unit symbol
Please re-read the SI Brochure.

>>952509
>>952599
>Abusing SI prefixes and unit symbols

>>952523
They do so because it looks garish, in their opinion.

>>952584
Unless the gear ratio is less than unity, the rotational speed of the disk would never be greater than it would have been in a standard installation.
>>
>>954109
Oh yeah, let's just have everyone denote their cadence in hertz now.
>>
>>951948
Nah, brah. I'm just poor.
>>
File: IMG_0712.jpg (155 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0712.jpg
155 KB, 1600x1200
>>951948
>embracing redundancy
>>
>>954132

>lubes chain once
>>
>>954109
>implying 'rpm' is '[a]busing SI prefixes [and/or] unit symbols'
Neither rotations nor minutes are SI. The SI unit of measurement for time is seconds.
GET DOWNTUBED.
>>
>>954128
>Implying the SI Brochure specifies the hertz as the unit of angular velocity

>>954166
>Implying neither 'p' nor 'm' are an SI prefix and SI unit symbol respectively.

As an aside, the minute is a non-SI unit which is accepted for use with the SI.
>>
>>954253
>Implying neither 'p' nor 'm' are an SI prefix and SI unit symbol respectively.
That depends on the context. 's' is also an SI unit yet there are multiple instances of it in your post that are not used as such. The same goes for that 'm', it is a letter that just so happens to also be used as a unit of measurement.

All cats have four legs but not everything with four legs is a cat.
>>
>>954253
>>Implying neither 'p' nor 'm' are an SI prefix and SI unit symbol respectively.
A letter can have more than one meaning you absolute fucktard shithead. I get that you're just shitposting, but your shitposts are usually consistent: They criticize improper use of SI units/notation. However, in this case you went full fucking downtube, seeing as the 'r', 'p', and 'm' in 'rpm' are not used to designate SI units. Rotations and minutes are not SI units, and 'p' as 'per' is relative to the non-SI units of rotations and minutes.
Now smack yourself on the head with a downtube and die, faggot.
>>
>>954253
Rpm is not a measurement of angular velocity, you dumbfuck.
>>
File: faggot.jpg (30 KB, 367x451) Image search: [Google]
faggot.jpg
30 KB, 367x451
>>954253
>angular velocity
Can't tell if absolute retard or subtle troll.
>>
File: ω.png (4 KB, 229x220) Image search: [Google]
ω.png
4 KB, 229x220
>>954253
>Implying hertz
Assuming it's radians per second, ω? (have not read it)
>>
File: discbrakeleluci2.jpg (82 KB, 736x602) Image search: [Google]
discbrakeleluci2.jpg
82 KB, 736x602
>>
>>951948
>>955021
plot twist gear is not fixed
>>
>>954265
>>954267

Quality American education, everyone.
>>
>>951948
yeah, i'm a downtube. good luck riding without me, fuccboi
>>
File: image.jpg (295 KB, 960x540) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
295 KB, 960x540
>>955481
I'll be just fine without you
>you fucking DOWNTUBE
>>
File: 1335999582512.jpg (29 KB, 528x543) Image search: [Google]
1335999582512.jpg
29 KB, 528x543
>>955485
>posting pics of a velo bike you don't own and can't afford

every time you get on the bikes you actually own, i'll be there.
>>
>>955486
I'll cut you off my bike you downtuber
>>
>>955486
>velo bike

don't be such a downtube tube
>>
File: 1358663945232.jpg (5 KB, 194x212) Image search: [Google]
1358663945232.jpg
5 KB, 194x212
>>955488
DO IT FAGGOT
>>
>>955628
If I had a bike that was shit I would
Thread replies: 82
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.