[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What does these two paragraphs mean? do they mean 'core'
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /n/ - Transportation

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1
File: fairchild_logo.jpg (31 KB, 626x207) Image search: [Google]
fairchild_logo.jpg
31 KB, 626x207
What does these two paragraphs mean? do they mean 'core' when they say turbojet? 20,000 lbs? im so confused.

AT NEARLY 13 feet in diameter, the GE9X is the largest jet engine ever built. It is wider than the fuselage of a Boeing 737. Or, as the publicists at General Electric put it, if Kobe sat on Shaq’s shoulders, the two of them could easily walk through it.

Like we said. It is a really big engine.

The 20,000-pound turbojet that GE is testing at its proving ground in Ohio draws air faster, at greater volume, and with superior efficiency than the former top dog, the GE90-115B. A pair of them could suck all of the air out of a space the size of Yankee Stadium in 13 minutes flat.
>>
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thrust
>>
>>950096
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thrust
A decent modern turboFAN pusts out 80,000. the best 100k. why would there be and article about a 20,000 lb engine. also it says turboJET, which is only used where fuel economy is not an issue.
>>
>>950100

Dunno m8.
Maybe they missed a decimal and it's supposed to be 200,000?
>>
just realized I forgot the link.

http://www.wired.com/2016/04/worlds-hugest-jet-engine-wider-737s-fuselage/
>>
>>950100

Oh.
Googling the other engine mentioned reveals that it's dry-weight is 18,260 lb.

Ten tons is just how much the fucking thing weighs.
>>
the core in a turbofan engine refers to the inner fan spool that feeds the fan blades after the combustion section. The outer fan does not feed the combustion chamber, it bypasses the core
>>
>>950100
Work on your reading comprehension, dingus. The engine weighs 10 tons; that's not the thrust it generates.
>>
>>950108
>>950106
Oh wow. I guess I feel dumb.
>>
>>950087
20,000 lbs means the engine weight.

It' not a turbojet actually. It's a turbo fan engine.
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.