[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is a decent source (if any) for learning about various [bicycle]
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /n/ - Transportation

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 2
File: 2915240_orig.jpg (237 KB, 1004x800) Image search: [Google]
2915240_orig.jpg
237 KB, 1004x800
What is a decent source (if any) for learning about various [bicycle] components and how they compare?

What makes a good component good? Non-machine-made? Material (and which)?

I'm completely new to understanding what makes something quality vs shit when it comes to bicycles.

>inb4 feed me
I am willing to read, I just need a general direction.
>>
sheldonbrown.com
>>
>>949167
alright, alright

I'll just still to the Holy Source...nothing produced within the last 8 years compares though?
>>
File: IMGP7824 (1)-filtered.jpg (47 KB, 660x440) Image search: [Google]
IMGP7824 (1)-filtered.jpg
47 KB, 660x440
OP I don't know of any single resource that answers all of those questions, but one page I really like is the Disraeli Gears site, which is all about (mostly older) rear derailers. If you read through it from start to finish with all the commentary you'll have a very good start on understanding a lot of what separates a good RD from a bad one including tidbits on materials and manufacturing, and most of those principles apply to other components.

For other stuff, I don't know what else to recommend beyond google and reading everything you can find. There's a wealth of unorganized information online between various forums, sites like Velobase, and scattered personal pages with loads of info or pics, like these two:
http://sonic.net/~ckelly/Seekay/weird_bike_stuff.htm
http://pardo.net/bike/pic/fail-009/000.html
>>
http://www.ibiscycles.com/support/technical_articles/metallurgy_for_cyclists/
>>
>>949169
Bikes have not changed in the 8 years since Sheldon went to bike Valhalla.

99.5% of riders still pull on a cable to change gears. They pull on a cable to push fluid to move the brakes. Wheels are still round, and people still pedal clockwise. SB is an excellent resource for older bikes.

>>949163
>I'm completely new to understanding what makes something quality vs shit when it comes to bicycles.

The hierarchy of bikes is unchanged
>pro race bikes(dura ace, RED, super record)
>race bikes(105-ultegra, force-rival, chorus-athena)
>enthusiast recreational bikes(105-tiagra, rival-apex)
>recreational bikes(anything below the above)
>BSO(sporting good and big box stores)

Shitty frames don't get nice drivetrains, and shitty frames don't come with nice drivetrais. These generally hold true as things get older to a point. 10 year old ultegra will lose out to new 105 because of price/performance ratio and part availability.

The biggest advantages of newer components are integrated shifters and 9-10-11 speed cassettes

>What makes a good component good? Non-machine-made? Material (and which)?

For materials
>carbon, titanium, and high end steel like Reynolds 953
>aluminum for all round performance at an affordable price
>steel if you are real... or a hipster

For individual metal parts
forged>machined>stamped

The biggest factor in bike performance is the rider. The pros will smoke you on anything with 2 wheels and pedals.
Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.