[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>$34 to replace one spoke and true rear wheel on a Trek 7.2
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /n/ - Transportation

Thread replies: 79
Thread images: 3
File: IMG_20160421_191753.jpg (1 MB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160421_191753.jpg
1 MB, 2048x1536
>$34 to replace one spoke and true rear wheel on a Trek 7.2
>>
>>946848
That seems fair to me. Bikes should charge more for labor and less for parts, cue infinite rage by MGTOW DIY cultists
>>
>>946848
Should have just used the chance to upgrade the wheel.
>>
>>946851
About how much would a decent rear wheel cost for a Trek 7.2 FX? What site should I buy it from? Would the local bike shop install it for me or would they tell me to fuck off since I didn't buy it off them?

Next time a spoke goes and I need a true I might replace the wheel altogether
>>
toe thumb
>>
>>946857
You could have gotten a nicer wheelset for ~$100, thats front and rear. Also breaking spokes usually indicates a larger issue and replacing a spoke is a bandaid fix.
>>
>>946848
Sounds about right. What did you think it would cost?
>>
>>946848
That's not too bad. I take it you've never paid for maintenance on a car. Any new rim brake wheel you could buy that size is probably going to need truing anyway. They don't reduce the cost on labor just because you have a gay hybrid.
>>
> have 90s mtb
> freehub freezes in -20c
> get it serviced
> $23
> still freezes
> buy new wheel for $60
I don't use the lbs for maintenance unless its before a big event or season for my road bike when i need it to be absolutely perfect. I can deal with my commuter being less than perfect. In fact, it shifts like crap and has wobbly rims.
>>
Op here, where do u guys buy your bike stuff online, specifically wheels?
>>
>>946882
Either the UK (Merlin or Wiggle, PBK a shit) or Nashbar and eBay.
>>
>>946882
Euro. Rose, Bike-Components, Bike24. Bike-Discount comes highly recommended on the forums, but I've never personaly shopped there that I can remember.

Why do you want new wheels now that yours are fixed? Assuming they weren't far too gone already (multiple spokes inadequately tensioned for too long) they should last about forever now that someones given them a hand truing.
>>
>>946891
>someones given them a hand truing.
>implying lbs do a good job truing
There are lots of shitty LBS that don't give a flying fuck about spoke tension and just try to get it straight.
>>
>>946900
Yes, well, giving people the benefit of doubt is good form anon. Let's at least presume he wasn't ripped off.
>>
>>946848
maybe you should learn how to do it yourself then faaaaaag
>>
>>946850
>>946862

I will agree. I have the equipment to replace spokes and true wheels. It is much more involved than changing parts or tuning derailers. It is worth the money if you have someone experienced true the wheel.

I put some nice flat spots on 2 rear wheels learning how to true wheels a few years back. I stopped being a lard ass and learned how to deal with and avoid potholes. The truing stand has not been touched in 3 years.
>>
>>946882
Have purchased 2 sets thru Colorado Cyclist.

You can buy factory sets, of have them made to your specs.
>>
File: peugedt.png (24 KB, 775x77) Image search: [Google]
peugedt.png
24 KB, 775x77
>>946848
Just so you know, truing a wheel is way easier than you think it is. I always told people truing wheels is one thing I couldn't ever do myself. One day I HAD to get a wheel trued and I was poor as shit so I just gave it a try, Turned out to be easier than changing tires.
>>
>>946848
Literally cheaper than Performance Bike, which happens to be the cheapest in my area. I don't know what OP expects when paying for labor. Is it cheaper to do it yourself? Of course it is.

Also, where did you get a printed shop slip? Most place just scribble on a repair form and give you a numbered receipt for pick up.
>>
>>946901
Why should you give the LBS the benefit of the doubt? Many LBS mechanics simply aren't very good.
>>
most bike shops Ive been to wont true a wheel because it takes too much time (up to an hour to do it well) and so they will just try and sell me a new wheel (which costs about $60, not much more than truing).
>>
>>946956
It's just the receipt they gave me.

The first "receipt" said it would be 7 dollars less, then when I go to pick it up they raised the price 7 bucks

I should of complained but whatever
>>
>>946848
enjoy your free market
>>
>>947257
>free market
>make a deal with two consenting parties
>change the terms of the deal after the fact
Want a free bridge?

btw now you paid for the bridge, I changed the terms of the deal so now you own me everything you own including the bridge and you are now my slave

free market
>>
I went to a bike shop to have them fix my flat tire (I wasn't able to get the fucking gatorskin back on the rim, I think i need to buy a bead jack, that's what the bike shop guy used) and they only charged me $10 for labor (plus $5 for the tube). I thought that was pretty fair
>>
>>947338
>memeskins
You got what you deserve
>>
>>947340
no i got what i deserve because im a dumbass who had been using a portable hand pump as my main pump and wasnt inflating the tires enough, so i eventually got a pinch flat from it

the gatorskins havent gotten a flat in the 5 years ive used them
>>
>>947338
you shouldn't need to use a tool

- let the tire sit in the sun for 10-15min so it becomes more pliable
- get stronger hands
>>
>>947354
my hands are plenty strong. they're big too. look at these hands
>>
>>947355
Do people always say to you "Anon, you have the most beautiful hands."?
>>
>Rides a hybrid
>Can't true a wheel

Just think of it as a tax on being a filthy casual.
>>
>>947355
And yet they couldn't keep the man with the racing snail, the nighthob, or the bat from flying into the nothing. They look like big, good, strong hands
>>
>>947360
My first real bike, I didn't want the gay road bike look

You'll kek, but I'd bet I could keep up with you or leave you in my wake on my shitty "hybrid"

I let road bike cucks pass me on this biking trail near me, then I start pedaling and next thing you know they're far behind me

Also, what's the deal with cycling jerseys? Are they a meme? Every guy I've ever seen wearing one looks like a total faggot. Their tiny stick figure arms sticking out. Lol
>>
>>947366
look at this gay faggot beta cuck
>>
>>947367
>t. Tiny arm cycling Jersey wearing cuck who got passed by a guy on a hybrid today
>>
>>947366

>I didn't want a particular look.
>But I'm so fast, I promise. Not casual at all here.
>I passed some people once, you know. I'm kinda a big deal.

This bait is well crafted, and will surely get many responses. 7/10, you got a little obvious about checking off all the roadie-trigger boxes here and there, but all in all did pretty good.
>>
>>947369
Lol this is my first time browsing or posting on this board. I literally had to Google "4chan bicycle" before I could find you guys.

If I can accidentally trigger some tiny arm cycling Jersey wearing "it repels wind, and wicks away sweat! And I promise I don't look like a total faggot wearing it!" Cucks then all the better lol
>>
>>947370

2/10. Doubling down this hard was a real slip-up, when you've overstepped into trying-to-hard territory, you need to follow up with short snippets that create down, not by checking more boxes on the checklist.

If you had just said "buttblasted weekend warrior detected" it would've been more convincing. Brevity is the soul of wit.

Keep practicing. You may not have it in your blood like the Aussies do, but you're clearly going places senpai.
>>
>>947366
>hybrid
>real biek
>>
>>947373
Lol this much effort, all these words

I deserve at least 7/10 from all those words typed alone!

Bit self-conscious about that new cycling Jersey? I'm sure it makes u go faster tho!
>>
One spoke

One wheel, true

Thirty four dollars
>>
>he wears a cycle Jersey
>rides in the middle of the road
>wonders why people want to run him over

Lol even women have better logic
>>
>>947375
>Bit self-conscious about that new cycling Jersey? I'm sure it makes u go faster tho!
Isn't that you? You're too self-conscious and embarrassed to wear a jersey? Instead you wear "normal people" clothes cycling.
>>
>>947379
You seem pretty buttblasted. Good job being cucked by cagers.
>>
>>947382
>cagers

ROFL.

Reddit calling

I'll read about you on the news, "bicyclist ran over, left for dead, police still looking for suspect"

I'm sure your Reddit cute secret club "cager" term will mean a lot when some guy who doesn't give a fuck anymore decides to make you a part of his cars underbody
>>
>>947387
>reddit
Apply yourself, anon.

If you replaced the words reddit, bicyclist and cager, you would fit right in with /pol/.
>>
>>947390
Police still looking

Suspect caught, busted bumper, " that faggot wouldn't get out of the road". That's all folks

Guy does two years, minimum security resort

Faggots with two inch arms still using term cager, think they're special snowflakes who can occupy entire road
>>
Can someone give me one good reason to wear a cycle jersey that isn't a meme?

Wind or sweat are memes, anyone who took physics in high school knows a cycle jersey won't make someone travel faster on two wheels

Is it just a subtle way of saying "I'm a faggot" so if another faggot is brave enough he could start talking to you, get your number, and maybe fuck your hairy ass?
>>
File: ernest-gagnon-cyclist-0.jpg (91 KB, 600x374) Image search: [Google]
ernest-gagnon-cyclist-0.jpg
91 KB, 600x374
>>947401
>being this insecure
On a scale from one to landwhale how fat are you? Be honest.

There's no shame in being fat and wearing a jersey.
>>
>i dont wear a jersey because i dont want the cagerman to think im gay and run me over because g-d hates figs lol
How cuck can you get?
>>
>>947403
I'm waiting for your reason to wear an over priced cycle jersey

Physics is calling, I was asleep and didn't care much, but I know enough to not fall for the cycle jersey meme
>>
>>947404
My hanes $3 T-shirt doesn't wick away sweat but it lets me travel just as fast as you without being chatted up by gays wearing cycling jerseys
>>
>>947406
>cant afford $20 for a shit
How poor are you?

A cycling jersey is just a sports shirt that's cut to cover your ass crack, has a zipper so you can loosen the collar with one hand, and pockets.

If you can't ride a bike with one or fewer hands then yeah, a $20 jersey doesn't make much of a difference over any other $20 sport cloth shirt. Although one would assume that someone as vain as you and worried about faggots feasting their eyes on your ass would want to cover your ass.
>>
>>947407
Enjoy your sweat m8. I'm sure you're really fast.
>>
>>947409
Don't go fast and then you won't sweat, faggot
>>
>>947408
Lol this post sums it up

Op abandoning thread, the victor and non-faggot

Anyone who wanders here and reads this shit will recant tales of what a non faggot op was, for once
>>
>>947413
Good job being poor and only wearing white t-shirts. I bet you ride your bike to your minimum wage job because you can't afford a car, or even worse to community college to get a worthless degree and some debt. At least you feel better about your cucked self by calling everyone else faggots.
>>
>>947413
>lose argument
>declare victory
>run away with tail between legs
kek

I bet once he is able to afford a car he is going to try and run over the first lycra clad fred on a garboncycle not realizing it's a rich lawyer or doctor or engineer with a lawyer.
>>
>>946848
Just figured I'd bring this thread back to topic: a typical shop rate is 60/hour and in that 30 min the mechanic needs to
Take the wheel off
Remove tire and tube (for hops)
Remove rim tape
Take out a good spoke to measure it
Reinstall 2 spokes
Retention the whole wheel
Reinstall rim tape
Reinstall the tire and tube
Reinstall wheel
Ensure nothing rubs.

The typical handing time, which includes the assessment with customer, putting away the bike, taking it back out, and finishing the bill are also not being charged to the customer.

Tldr: Op got great value
>>
>>947426
>$34
>great deal
desu he could have just bought a spoke wrench and done it himself and bought a jerset with the money he saved
>>
>>946921
>easier than changing tires
>>
>>947338
Schwalbe doest use shit tolerances so they acually fits rims properly ;)
>>
>>947427
But he didn't. He could make a hamburger OR he could pay extra to eat at a fast food joint.

It would be more economical to learn to do it yourself, but then you got to do it yourself.
>>
>>946882
Probikeshop has by far the best offers price-wise. also great service. The only downside is the relatively limited selection.
>>
>>946975
>I'm too stupid to go to a better shop so everyone on the internet got ripped off
>>
>>946848
either learn to work on your bike or keep your moiuth shut bo one to blame but yourself
>>
>>947449
>im a lbs shill and i think my lbs is good when it really isnt
>>
>>947457
Why do people "into bikes" shill those shady as fuck small businesses so hard?

I mean most lbs I have walked into were dirty, dimly lit and price gougy as fuck with pushy sales fucks

Id rather just buy parts on Amazon and/or performance bike build a bike during an episode of snl or someshit
>>
>>946850
git gud faggot
>>
>1 dollar to replace 34 spokes

Fucking lbs ripoff faggots just buy toolz urself!
>>
>>947445
Actually, they do. Return rates for Schwalbe due to bead fit diametre is "higher than" 1/17 according to local distributor, meaning one in eight-nine pairs fit so badly that at least one tyre can't even be seated properly. And you only have to look at a couple of different batches Schwalbe tyres to see that tread pattern and graphics is going all over the place with no fucks given at all.
That's the downside of outsoucing to seven or eight, or what ever number they have today, _different_ factories all over Asia - lowest bidder wins.

I run Schwalbe Evo on half my bikes and they're great tyres, but QC and consistence is horrible compared to Maxxis, german Contis or Vittoria/Geax. No way to explain that away. It's just a fact.
>>
>>947467

Now that I think about it, the only *good* bike shops that I've seen were more along the lines of "small general sporting goods store" kinda deals. Most of them have been around for something like 40+ years.

My favorite shop that actually has decent staff is like 30% bikes, 50% commercial fishing supplies, and the rest is random meme shit targeted at the "rich fatass wannabe ironman" crowd.
>>
>>947445
lol, I have a pair of schwalbe winters that have the tolerances of a lumpy turd

they're fine tires for what I need them for (commuting on ice-glazed roads), but schwalbe and tight tolerances don't go together in the same sentence
>>
I've done everything DIY on bike builds you can make, but I can't build or true wheels. Every time I try, years now, I fuck it up. I read the Jobst Brandt book too

For now I just get high spoke count wheels and replace them if they go out of true. Let someone else deal with it
>>
>>947406
>Physics is calling

>this aspie is a physics major

what else is new
>>
>>947608
I fitted hundreds of scwalbe tires maybe more without a single problem,its always continentals,vredesteins and cst's 'avin shit tolerances.
Maybe your lbs should take a tire fitting course :^)
>>
>>947740
>major
kek

>>947640
Are you accounting for wind-up, and turning in small increments, 1/8-1/16 turn, and spoke tension?
>>
>>947608
literally all of their tires up to 2014 have been made in a single factory in Indonesia.(with the exception of the Schwalbe one,which is made in Germoney)
But the demand of Schwalbe® professional tires have been so high they opened a second factory in vietnam.

Do you really think other tire manufacturers don't outsource their(cheaper) tires?
>>
>>947427
At some point we all need to pay people to do things. He chose to not learn this skill, not invest in a truing stand, or a spoke wrench
I can call technicians of other trades idiots, but I also have not learned how to fix cars, build instruments, or work electrical in my house. I pay people instead.
That's how the world works
Thread replies: 79
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.