[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/bbg/- Bike Buying General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /n/ - Transportation

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 54
File: mom_child_sales_media2.jpg (19 KB, 275x220) Image search: [Google]
mom_child_sales_media2.jpg
19 KB, 275x220
>>
I want the cheapest possible mountain bike that won't fall apart and isn't Walmart shit. I'm not looking to compete or anything, I just want to go on the trails here without getting thrown over the handlebars when I hit a root. Is this possible for less than $300?

tallahassee.craigslist.org/search/bia

Anything good here?
>>
So /n/

What pushbike do I buy at walmart?
->ibefore the most $$$ one
>>
>>944484
You don't buy at Walmart
>>
>>944489
This just happened:

>walk into bicycle shop
>"I need something affordable, it will probably be abused and left in salt air"
>points me to a single speed cruiser
>$350
>nope.jpg

I'm now at walmart.
>>
>>944493
Well sure, that bike was probably built with decent components and materials hence the price, you said you wanted something to abuse so he pointed you to something that could take it. Go to Walmart, buy a $100 bike and watch it literally evaporate between your legs two seconds later
>>
>>944493
they'll sell you a "bike" for less there, but it'll break quickly.

if your budget is less than $600, buy used. that's basically what these threads are for. shit, even the new Ikea bike is more than that.
>>
What are British company Decathlon like? Is this bike any good?

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/original-520-hybrid-bike-id_8353018.html
>>
>>944496
>>944497
Bought a new cruiser for $90. Fuck the LBS.
>>
Was waiting for this thread to pop up.
I need some advising here and in exchange am sending virtual thanks in advance.
I'm in a market for a _second_ bike as I decided to retire my cross/trekker to commuting duty solely and need something for fun rides. Not feeling confident enough to settle for a road bike (I don't feel fast enough to justify it and also thin as all fuck tyres and aggressive position doesn't sound all that comfy for someone who has only ever rode drops for an hour over a decade ago), but since drops are a must to ride fast I thought, maybe cyclocross bike or a gravel or maybe endurance road or rando or whatever?

I narrowed my choice to a few models, that will probably cost me a bit more than a reasonable entry lever road, but can fit fat (fatter? 35c) tyre and a mud guard, like:
Merida Cyclocross 500 (could maybe pull a sick deal on it, love the colour);
GT Grade (with tiagra that will cost me around the same as the above; digging that silly frame tho it doesn't have interrupter brake levers);
Fuji Tread (which was the only one available at hand, but sounds overpriced with its sora's and only marginally lower price than all the others);
Giant Anyroad 2 (looks wonky).
Which one /n/iggas? I live in 2 1/2 World so this kinda bikes are rare as all fuck. Next week will be confirming my possibility to get a discount on the blue one and maybe some GT bikes'll show up in an one of the local joints for me to sit on one.
What do I do pls help thx bye.
>>
>>944505
Heard somewhere (maybe it was even here) that if you're looking for a cheaper, big ass sports store branded bikes, B'Twin's are solid.
Dunno if there are local differences in those, though.
>>
>>944520
>Merida Cyclocross 500 (could maybe pull a sick deal on it, love the colour);
Do it, sounds like you favor this one and the others bring compromises. Just buy that one if you can get a good deal on it.
>>
hey guys, any advice on a cheap frame size 62? (62cm long seat tube)

hopefully a page or store with shipping to other countries
>>
I'm a huge fatass trying to shift some of my huge gut, but my arse hurts like hell whenever I go riding

What's the most comfortable seat I can get for <£50 GBP
>>
>>944537
This the one that got me itching for the whole shtick.
Will be holding off till I see them GT's but other than that, I really lean towards Merida here. That being said, how expensive can interrupter levers be to put on there, huh? Or, how more beneficial is the 105 over tiagra?
Too bad they'd still cost me thrice of what I paid for the old trekker back in the day (and about 3 months pay lel).
Will be posting in /pybt/ if/when I get it.
Cheers.
>>
File: quigley-fs-fatbike-21.jpg (443 KB, 1024x680) Image search: [Google]
quigley-fs-fatbike-21.jpg
443 KB, 1024x680
I have an empty space in my stable for a new bike. I want to get a fat bike for cruising around and light trail use. I want a front suspension on it but not sure if my price range allows for it. Basically I want the best bang for the buck I can find. I can swap forks later maybe.

My price range is $1000-1500, suggestions please and/or deals or maybe just what to look out for when I buy.
>>
>>944505
Hey, I work for Decathlon.

The bikes arn't too bad themselfs
You get a life time cover on the frame, bars and stem. I think you can get free delivery aswell now.
Although that one is a little heavy, but it depends on what sort of riding your'e going for.
Decathlon also have a year to return policcy, if its in good condition.
If you can get to a store you can try them out
Also its a French company.
>>
bought this 1995 cannondale 'bud light' edition yesterday, 21 speed, nice seat and pretty budget everything else.

plan on using it as my commuter, putting a rack on it and attaching a milk crate or buying one of those bags that go on the sides. Might convert to fixed gear if that's possible, for fitness purposes..

Was this an alright grab or did I fuck up?
>>
>>944547
buy a bmx instead, you dont have to sit!
>>
>>944790
Rad bike, rigid MTBs are the perfect commuters.
>Might convert to fixed gear if that's possible, for fitness purposes..
That makes no sense at all
>>
File: 1460306377764.jpg (53 KB, 427x425) Image search: [Google]
1460306377764.jpg
53 KB, 427x425
>>944806
Thanks, I'm really happy with it.

I'm pretty new to bikes, care to elaborate on why having a fixed for fitness doesn't make sense?

Is there some taboo or mechanical reason you can't convert a rigid MTB into a fixed gear?

I rode my cousins fixed gear about a year ago, I got significantly more tired than I would on a 21 speed..
>>
>>944790
The only people who hate on rigid MTBs are those who use "it's a meme" as an argument.
As previous poster stated, don't convert to fixed gear. Use that money to buy a nice pair of slicks (a lot of sites have good deals right now).

It seems like a good grab, but it really depends on how much you paid for it.
>>
>>944813
Is there a lot of hate on rigid MTBs? If I want to mountain bike on trails I can borrow my dads old Cannondale that has shocks, I just wanted this for commuting to work, getting groceries and general transportation.

I paid $150, I don't know if that's far too much or what but that was my budget.. I went to a bike collective in my city that's a non-profit
>>
>>944812
If you're going to convert to fixed, a MTB is one of the worst candidates unless your goal really is just to be worn out. MTB frames are usually heavier and 26" wheels have higher rolling resistance. You'll get more exercise out of that than a road bike anyway. It also doesn't look as nice on a MTB.

Fixed gear can be really useful, but I wouldn't recommend converting your first and only bike to one. If you want more exercise, ride on some challenging trails or just ride further.
>>
>>944814
Some people don't like the meme, but there is mostly just love on here. That bike is probably fine for light trails and commuting. You might want to switch the tires for commuting though.

$150 seems very fair, depending on your market. I wouldn't have paid that much, but I'm a jew. What kind of components does it have?
>>
>>944814
>Is there a lot of hate on rigid MTBs?
No, but a lot of hate on the hype. A rigid hybrid does the same job without the signaling, posturing and hipster genuineness of having a practical bike from an era before utility biking was cool.
Good buy anon, don't wreck it by converting it into anything stupid. Like a fixed. And no randomly swapping parts out without checking with /n/ first.
Get slicks, or semis. Schwalbe Sammy Slick are cheap and keeps it in style.
>>
>>944816
You've sold me, I was having a hard enough time on a fixed gear with a light road frame, if I really want one as time goes on I can just buy one.

>>944818
Shimano brakes, magna handlebars and specialized seat
>>
>>944820
When people ask about components on /n/, they are usually looking for the names of your derailleurs, crank, wheels, and shifters the most.
We'll just assume that the bike you have has a standard set of Araya 26" rims on decent hubs. The brakes from the pic look like Acera-X.
There should be a little doo-dad hanging below the gears on your rear wheel, this is your rear derailleur. There should also be a small medal doo-dad above the gears on your crank (where you pedal). Usually the text on those parts are enough to signal about the quality of the rest of parts. Any text on the crank is also helpful, as well as text on the shifters.
An easy format for newer posters is something along these lines
RD (rear derailleur): <whatever text is on it
FD (front): <again, any text you find>
Shifters: <same>

and so on and so forth. Of course, we don't really expect you to know exactly what to post quite yet, but we can probably tell the parts just from whatever you can read on them.
>>
Try something Giant, the lowest tier I would go is Giant Talon 4, I wouldn't suggest any ATX or Trek 3500 shit, you won't like it. For 600 CAD you get hydor brakes man, and decent frame, of course, I'd really ask you to open up the budget options
>>
>>944520
Just get a road bike. I bought a cyclocross bike for commuting and because I fell in love with drop bars. I then acquired a series of carbon road bikes. Sold off 2 of them and now I'm down to just the alloy cyclocross bike and one carbon road bike. I wish my cyclocross bike was an alloy road bike for commuting, off season training, and criterium racing. Saving the carbon bike for fair weather group rides and training rides. Road gearing is so much better for going faster.
>>
File: 241392_121815_png_zoom_1[1].jpg (398 KB, 2000x2000) Image search: [Google]
241392_121815_png_zoom_1[1].jpg
398 KB, 2000x2000
I'm slowly looking for a new bike and this one caught my eye. I'd be able to get a reduction of the prices of SCOTTs.

http://www.scott-sports.com/global/en/products/241392007/SCOTT-Aspect-970-Bike/

It will be mainly used in the city, but i'd like to take it on short trip somewhere offroad. Now I ride an old Puch street bike, with non-slick tires. But I'm sick of being redirected to the shop round the corner when looking for something for it, because it's just too old. Also, we are expecting a baby and the wife said she'd like to get a new bike, and a kid sit for my bike, so I think a brand new bike would be better for this task.
Or any other bike like that, hardtail should be ok. Price... 350-400 euro. I can fix almost everything myself too if needed, just not sure about parts compatiability.
>>
>>944812

Just ride faster, faggot.
>>
File: alsjdflasjdfl.jpg (77 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
alsjdflasjdfl.jpg
77 KB, 1024x768
I want something ($300-$500) for weekend rides and maybe commuting that I can slap a rack on to get back into the groove of things. I need help. I'm not sure exactly what to be looking out for on craigslist. I've heard cyclocross bike makes a good commuter.

I used to do a fair amount, mostly commuting but i haven't regularly for years. Now my stamina is shot and my quads are a normal size again.

I have an 30 year old steel road bike but I'm looking to get something that doesn't weigh a ton, isn't older than me and has some of the modern amenities like brifters and quick-release wheels.
>>
Should i buy a trek 1500 slr for 600 with 100$ tt bars?
>>
>>945371
Should probably look into a custom built "adapted" bike to fit your unique anatomy. Ain't cheap.
>>
>>945185
Sorry man but the bike you posted is a piece of crap and it will give you issues quite soon (6 months or so) because parts will start wearing out. At your budget the only sensible option is to get a secondhand bike. If you're not too sure about that get one from a bike store you trust.
>>
>>945371
In my opinion you're better of putting some fenders on that old steel bike of yours, and maybe upgrading a few choice components. Then use the cash to buy a better bike just for weekends. I've done the whole commuting on your good bike thing. But you're going to be pissed off if expensive parts are worn out after just 1 winter.
>>
>>944497
Ikea is only cheap if the majority of your furniture is mahogany
Not the other guy, but I'd mainly be looking for a bike for the summer so that I can save up for some auto repair before the winter, going all out on a bike kind of defeats the purpose for that
>>
1988 Specialized Sirrus, looks in fine condition but the only pic (related) is a bit hard to tell. Assuming it is and rides fine for a 28 year old bike, what should my upper price be? $150?
>>
File: fag.jpg (57 KB, 600x337) Image search: [Google]
fag.jpg
57 KB, 600x337
>>945542
fug
>>
03 specialized allez comp, looks to have older ultegra components, rusted spokes on the wheels. Other than that the frame looked good to me. What would be a decent offer?
>>
>>945438
OK, thanks. I have a shop in mind :) And they had a bike I liked, but forgot the brand/model.
>>
>>945183
Well, I was thinking not road because I am not fast enough and the quality of roads I have to keep to is not good enough for a thin ass 23 mm tyres here. Also, no space for wider tyres, mudguard or anything else.
A basic roadbike would cost me half the cyclocross/gravel price AFAIK, so it's an argument for it.

Not really helpful, though.
>>
hey /n/ any recommended mountain bikes for $400?
>>
I bought a steel touring frame, from a well known company that I won't name. It cost $850. For the build I already have a lot of the parts, but not all. The bike I built up prior was straight Shimano XT everything. I've been looking around, and now am thinking of getting Paul's brakes and levers, white Industry Hubs and bottom bracket and cranks. I like the looks of both companies stuff, and the idea they are from the US. Other than my preference for their looks , would there be any noticeable improvement in the ride quality or durability of XT?

Thanks, I'll take the answer off the air.
>>
>>945584
Its Maagatoroido you fucking baka
>>
>>945590
No, XT parts will be superior in pretty much every way.
>>
>>944475
Can anyone help me out with this?
>>
File: 1459242397701-jp.png (233 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1459242397701-jp.png
233 KB, 500x500
>>945591
I kneewww ittttttttt
>>
>>944475
>>945595
how tall are you? I see some fair options like this one:
http://tallahassee.craigslist.org/bid/5543641381.html
>>
>>945438
>>945185
actually, can one buy anything decent for 350 euro, or just 2nd hand ?
>>
File: POTD-CYCLISTS_2835613k.jpg (124 KB, 858x536) Image search: [Google]
POTD-CYCLISTS_2835613k.jpg
124 KB, 858x536
>>945440
actually it would be primarily for weekend rides. if i ended up doing a lot of commuting on it i wouldn't mind upgrading at that point. for now i want to learn to walk before i run.
also i live in southern california so no harsh winters
>>
>no price listed on craiglist
>"make me an offer"
Die of AIDS if you do this.
>>
File: lava_dome.jpg (135 KB, 1000x577) Image search: [Google]
lava_dome.jpg
135 KB, 1000x577
Any advice for mtbs in the $800 range? in canada, have been looking at the rockhopper sport, kona lavadome/fire mountain

any other suggestions in this price range?
>>
>>945605
I'm 6' with a 30" inseam
>>
>>945741

Kona's frame warranty is amazing.
>>
File: large_DB_15_Line_DkGrey_angle.jpg (368 KB, 985x900) Image search: [Google]
large_DB_15_Line_DkGrey_angle.jpg
368 KB, 985x900
anybody have experience with the diamondback line? seems good for dome mid difficulty riding. how is using a 1x9 setup on the big climbs?
>>
>>945741
pinkbike.com/buysell
>inb4 you're actually retarded enough to think a new mtb for under $2k won't be pure shit
>>
>>945654
Anything new for 350 euros will be a BSO, not a bicycle. You have to buy used at that price.
>>944475
>less than $300
A 90s rigid mountain bike yes. A modern mountain bike no. If you want a 90s rigid mtb craigslist is good. If you want something modern pinkbike.com/buysell is better.
>>
>>946061
>Pinkbike
>4 yr old $1k bikes for $700+ "I know what I got"
nah
>>
File: gt_outpost.jpg (216 KB, 648x484) Image search: [Google]
gt_outpost.jpg
216 KB, 648x484
what is a fair price for a early-to-mid 90's GT Outpost? as i understand it it's in the lower tiers of GT's lineup but this is going to get the rigid 90's mtb commuter treatment
>>
>>945542
$150 seems fine, especially if it's an n+1 bike

>>945584
I honestly don't think there are any quality MTBs that are less than $400 new.
I know that sounds snobbish, but I really wouldn't expect good mountain bike performance at that price point. You might be able to find something decent used though.

>>946084
$150 would probably be the upper end of fair, but I wouldn't drop more than $100 on it (less than that if it needed any work). There are just so many cheap rigid MTBs out there.
>>
File: XC9.jpg (351 KB, 3000x2454) Image search: [Google]
XC9.jpg
351 KB, 3000x2454
Is Trek a good brand?

I'm a fat, helpless, and poor newfag that's riding my bike regularly for the first time since middle school. I've been doing 6 mile round trips every morning on a paved trail (sometimes on the weekend I hit the path a second time in the afternoon for a total of 12 miles). Right now I'm using the size 19? with 29"? wheels (I think) ~2005 Giant Rincon that my dad let me have (used to be his). It's an alright bike, but the 24 speed is meh (I can't shift to the low gear on the pedals, the shifter needs to be realigned, but I wasn't needing it. The grades here aren't steep, but they last for miles) and I'm not liking the ergos.

Long story short, before I get a summer job and blow all my money on guns and a bike in the fall, would a Trek X-Caliber 9 be a good investment? I thought it would be a nice thing to use as a campus shuttle and recreation device. I also don't want a street bike as there are plenty of dirt roads and trails I want to check out some time. It's $1.3K, but I'm willing to spend that on a bike that will probably be the only bike I ever need. I was thinking the 20 speed and more comfy looking frame (I'd really need to sit on one to see how I like it) would make trail riding a bit more enjoyable.

Honestly, I'm having fun biking. Combined with eating better and some walking/jogging, I've lost 16 lbs (7.25 Kilos) in a month's time.
>>
>>946120
>I've lost 16 lbs (7.25 Kilos) in a month's time
brofist anon
>>
What's a good price on a 1997 cannondale r500? craigslist person posted a "send me your best offer" ad for it. Thinking this will be a big improvement over my walmart special road bike.
>>
>>946120
>4 pounds a week
Are you over 200 kilos or something?
>>
>>946138
Unless you live in a big city where bikes are extra-pricey, and assuming the bike is in fair condition, 2-300 would be fair.

>>946120
>Is Trek a good brand?
Like most big brands they make a variety, from top-tier race bikes to really basic. Even the really basic stuff is a step above Walmart bikes, but nobody will be impressed if you roll up on a 820 mtb or 7.1 hybrid.
>>
>>946061
>$2k mtb
Hello, Fred
>>
Is it worth it to buy an unbranded steel frame hardtail if all the other components are reasonably good?

I'm looking at

http://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/1963930/
>>
>>946140
I was around 128 kilos.
>>
>>945737
>>no price listed on craiglist
>>"make me an offer"
>make a reasonable offer
>"fuck off cheapshit"
or
>no response whatsoever
MOTHERFUCKERRRRRRRRR
>>
>>946120
Eh, how far are you. If you're over 250lbscarbon is a bad idea but the meh tier alpha alum 1.2 bikes are pretty decent sora/claris parts and shit

They're no God tier bikes but they work and when you meet the weight limits for a nicer bike you can upgrade

Avoid hybrid bikes and hardtail MTBs for now. Flat bars and platform pedals may look safer for now but you're not going to burn as many calories or hail as much as on them

And you'll lose interest on one quick

Also they tank in value

I used to be fat as fuck as well...
>>
>>944497
Walmart bikes aren't horrid they sell shimano equipped bikes anything with a cartridge bottom bracket,1 1/8th head thread less headset, 700c wheels and caliper style brakes should be fine replace the trash as it falls off the he bike

A new bike shaped object is probably better than a cruiser with one piece American bottom bracket cranks and special v brakes they discontinued in1987

Or replacing the 3 piece adjustable stem in a one off size that specialized or giant won't send you a new one off
>>
>>946190
I saw a caad 8 from 2010 the guy was "firm" on at $1200...with a $899.99 pricetag on it from the bike store he got it at

And a caad 12 disc being sold at $750 just under his ad.

The thing about autists that are "into" bikes is that they're not the smartest people on earth.

Like if you ask a bike enthusiast which is better tiagra or dura ace they'll tell you but they won't know why

Fiercely brand loyal to whatever brand is promoted on a bike forum that yrar
>>
>>946149
I'd pass, it might be an ok deal if you have a frame laying around, but everything it's used and worn. He probably wouldn't be selling it if it was still in good condition
>>
>>946193
Let me ask you this, oh smart namefaggot, which is better 105 or tiagra and why?
[spoiler]I am thinking of getting me a bike and, beside many other things, they sport those groups. Cheers.[/spoiler]
>>
>>946200
It's best if everybody ignores sieg

Tiagra is the step above 105. The difference is mostly weight, it's not huge.
>>
>>946200
105 is lighter and smoother. Better for racing. Tiagra is sturdier and less finicky (broader cage, etc...). Better for commuting or touring.
>>
Is this a fair price for this bike?
http://sanmarcos.craigslist.org/bik/5546888288.html

>Spoiler/ I'm selling it, no shill tho/Spoiler
>>
>>946233

Seems like it would be a reasonable price for my area. It's hard to really be sure without actually checking the condition of the bike though. I'd probably lowball him and change the drive train if it's in poor condition.
>>
>>946192

Somewhat related - I've seen a few wal mart bikes with 'shemano' stickers on em.
>>
>>946120

Are you averse to just upgrading components? Those aren't what I'd call bad bikes to begin with.
>>
>>946241
kek

>>946239
Thanks mane.
>>
>>945737
"I'm pretty firm on the price."
Second worst
>>
File: TrekPolice.jpg (373 KB, 3000x2454) Image search: [Google]
TrekPolice.jpg
373 KB, 3000x2454
>>946191
>>946243
Continuing to look through their catalog, I noticed that the X-C9 has what I think is two different tire sizes for front and rear. While this is not a big problem for me, I'd like to keep things simple. Correct me if I'm wrong on this, though.

I did find, however, something that might suit my interests better than the X-C9. The Trek Police is similar in design to the X-C9, but it has a Shimano 27 speed assembly, which is even more (unnecessary) gears than the Rincon. I did like the sound of less speeds, but I guess I'm already used to having quite a few useless gears. It also comes with a basket mount pre-installed, which might come in handy. It's pretty much the same price, but I'd have to find a retailer that'll sell one to a non-officer.
>>
http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-ca/bikes/model/trance.27.5.3/24695/89688/

Is the trance 3 worth the money? The only major difference is the suspension, so if I bought the trance 2 and sold the suspension and bought fox stuff it would be cheaper, no?
>>
>>946258
Sorry I got the numbers mixed up...trance 3 = cheapest, trance 2 is the step up.
>>
>>946062
>BSO
>Bicycle Shaped Object

made me laugh. I will look into 2nd hand, thanks again awesome guys!
>>
>>946200
Depends on what year and what your budget is and how you ride
>>
>>946256
Stick with 2x10 3x7 is an older design and getting a new chain for it down the road might be a case of having to special order through a local bike store
>>
I was thinking about getting a bike for commuting because public transport is pretty shit here, but i dont know how to recognize a good or well-built bike. please give me some tips.
>>
>>946326
go to a co-op and ask a bunch of questions
>>
>>946293
It's 3x9, not 3x7. The more I think about it, the less I want to sacrifice the high-gear ratios with the 2x10. Everything about the Police is starting to seem like a better match for my riding style than the X-C9.
>>
>>946338
As you lose weight those high gear ratios won't be much of a factor in bike buying

I know you're heavy right now and the idea of keeping a semi regular and paced cadence is a little daunting and the idea of applying little force while you take a breather seems good but it's detrimental to your fitness

You'll want a heavy bike with as little handicaps as possible to burn that weight because you know an easy ride home and a cheeseburger is too damn easy to pick up

But if the only way that you can get home is to push yourself on a heavy as bike you'll do it and you'll see gains

It's why I still ride steel despite a 50lbs weight loss
>>
>>946356
Haven't thought of it that way. Maybe I'll swap out the gears sometime, but I'm still leaning towards the Police.
>>
Why are department store bikes shit? I see this repeated everywhere I go, but I never get a good, straight up answer.

If you're mechanically inclined, willing to inspect that shit to make sure nothings fucked before you leave the store, and it has easy to obtain and replace components. Why are these things fucking awful?
>>
>>946487
At the end of the day, they're still low quality parts.

But yes, the biggest problem is poor assembly and not being tuned. The parts may not be durable, but for the mileage a department store bike will see, usually not a problem. The parts ill be frustrating to tune though, and often impossible to get just right due to poor quality, but you can get it good enough to work.
>>
>>946487
They weigh twice as much as real bikes and all that weight doesn't even translate into durability because the frames are designed by monkeys. Everything that goes on is the lowest quality hardware they can get their hands on this week, and all is just barely assembled.
All made worse by using parts that may be cheap, but ruined within miles of use if not properly adjusted, like cup and cone hubs made of mild cheese. No, they will not come properly pretentioned from factory but overtightened to hell or completely loose.
Add to that they only come in two sizes ("mens"/"ladies") per model - if you're lucky!
And since they're designed by retards the midget model is the same top tube length as the one built for sky scraping giants. That's why they're called Bike Shaped Objects; they superficially look like one, but have none of the practical properties.

Other than that they're fine, I guess.
>>
>>946487
Low quality parts. Incompetent instalation. And frequently horrible design. You're consistently better off with a used market. Failing that a direct seller is better.

If for whatever reason it's your only option, go with the oldest designs, like 1960s.
>>
>>946498

Yeah, I've basically given up on the department store bikes for now after abit more reading. Not because of the potentially dodgy assembly.

I'm more then willing to deal with that given the price, and the fact that can fucking use tools.

I'm 6'3, if i'm looking at sizing charts correctly these bikes probbaly wont be the best fit for me. But, if I were "Average Sized Human Male" ...

God, I wish craigslist wasn't shit in my area, i'm not having a fun time finding a used bike.
>>
>>946506
Incase anybody was wondering, these were the three bikes I was interested in till I realized they may not fit me appropriately.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/29-Schwinn-Midway-Men-s-Cruiser-Bike/48520148
http://www.walmart.com/ip/700C-Huffy-Men-s-Norwood-Cruiser-Bike-Grey/49058120
http://www.walmart.com/ip/700c-Schwinn-Pathway-Men-s-Multi-Use-Bike/48520130

Sears/Kmart, Target, Meijer, whatever all have the same bikes under slightly different names, but the ones I saw at Walmart all looked kinda cool.

http://detroit.craigslist.org/wyn/bik/5524181851.html, Saw this posted, may shoot the guy an email tomorrow afternoon, but i'm always hesitant of the Westland/Inkster area :/
>>
>>946224
>>946226
Conflicting facts!

>>946291
Right now, I slug myself around the city using mostly 2-3 gears out of 3*7 range on my old ass commuter.
HOWEVER, I'm looking for "off road" roadies for riding in and out of the city (and ""significantly"" faster at that lel, not for cummute!) and my options are one with 105, discounted probably, and the other with tiagra at around the same price but no discount offered (and also dramatically worse colour scheme).
>>
File: 7926072_0_b.jpg (135 KB, 1024x614) Image search: [Google]
7926072_0_b.jpg
135 KB, 1024x614
Is this bike good?I can get it for € 150.It is a '1985 Peugeot .I am thinking of taking out the fenders and the rack and using it as my fitness bike and maybe for commuting and keeping my mountain bike for when I need to go through bumpy terrain.Will it be good for that?I have seen a lot of Peugeot bikes here so I guess it would be good ?
>>
I have a 2008 felt cyclocross bike. It fits road tires and it's pretty light weight.
I have some money saved up and am wondering whether I should purchase a new road bike or just slap on road tires?

Are the differences between a road & cyclocross bike worth it?
>>
>>946569
Why would you take off the rack and fenders?
They make commuting easier, add weight for fitness rides, and look nice.
>>
File: 20160413_140152-1.jpg (2 MB, 2878x1737) Image search: [Google]
20160413_140152-1.jpg
2 MB, 2878x1737
>>944590
Judging by the kind of riding you want to do, a cyclo cross bike would be a lot faster for the road and cx frames are generally sturdier so you can still haul a decent amount of ass on pretty technical trails if you can handle a bike.

Repost, but I built this bike up for slightly over 450$.
>>
Hai /n/

I am in the slow process of deciding to buy a road or maybe gravelgrinder bike (for possible rack mounting points) for gaining on my skinny, skinny legs...
While casually looking, I saw the kickstarter ad for the SpeedX Leopard which sounds like a kinda good deal for that price. Still expensive though...
Is this complete overkill for a cycling newbie? All I do is light commuting and touring with my trekking bike.
It sounds pretty amazing, but the kickstarter ends in 23 hours and buying bikes online isn't that recommended, right?
>>
>>946638
>kickstarter
NO
>>
>>946640
okay
>>
>>946569

I wouldn't take the fenders or rack off for commuting unless it literally never rains in your area and you don't carry a whole lot with you.
>>
>>946638
Kick-started isn't a store

There is a good chance they take your money and fail on the project even if fully funded....then you're shit out of luck because when you buybon kick-started you "donate" money in exchange for the promise of one product in the future
>>
File: Attach7889_20160421_090607.jpg (326 KB, 1440x860) Image search: [Google]
Attach7889_20160421_090607.jpg
326 KB, 1440x860
I'm looking at this 1987 miyata 312. The seller is asking 270 which I know is way too much. Other forums and catalogs say around 100-150.

Should I go and take a look I really do love those old 80's frames

https://tucson.craigslist.org/bik/5544060922.html
>>
>>946062
And I guess I will look for a bike which is not so shiny, no discs and so on... Hopefully the price will be objective and i'll get the more valuable bike.
>>
>>946678
The dude straight up has nobody else intereste, don't stress over the shit he says

Make a low ball offer and wait for the price gouging fuck to hit you up next week accepting it
>>
Is 29"/700c really a must for a commuter?
>>
File: 00T0T_jJuOKlQ0Tq6_600x450.jpg (65 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
00T0T_jJuOKlQ0Tq6_600x450.jpg
65 KB, 600x450
Need some help /n/. I was parusing my local CL bike section like I am want to do and I found a 2005 Litespeed Vortex, full 6/4 titanium frame with Dura Ace 7900 components. Just went and looked at it and it is in immaculate condition and the ride is pretty goddamn nice. Basically right now I am about 95% sure I want it but I wanted to check in and see if there are any major red flags that I may be overlooking with Ti or the bike in general.

Price is a bit high according to the blue book, but it does have new ENVE forks stem and post and the boyd's wheels were added (not necessarily a huge fan of the wheels but I can swap them for my american classic 420s I have on my current bike). The bike i'm currently on is a 2000 Trek 5500 USPS that I have posted before, but I'm starting to get a little concerned on the age of the carbon.

Whaddya think /n/?

http://slo.craigslist.org/bik/5531939588.html
>>
>>946893
Not at all. 90s rigid MTBs with 26x2" slicks make amazing commuters.
>>946905
Greak bike, appropriate price.
>>
File: prod24629_Black_NE_01[1].jpg (17 KB, 500x505) Image search: [Google]
prod24629_Black_NE_01[1].jpg
17 KB, 500x505
>>946906
>Not at all. 90s rigid MTBs with 26x2" slicks make amazing commuters.
Make that 26x1.5" and I'd agree.
>>
File: 20151030_171401_HDR.jpg (3 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
20151030_171401_HDR.jpg
3 MB, 3264x2448
>>946905
Seems like a good price to me. Check for cracks, otherwise titanium will last you for a long time.

>>946906
Sometimes i dream about having a 700c commuter. Sure 26 is great to take some gentle off roads on nice days but it feels really slow at times.
>>
>>946905
You've already got a dope bike and you haven't been riding long enough to outride it. Why don't you wear it out first and get good before upgrading. This is like being an audiophile instead of someone who likes music.
>>
>>946911
Well, you've got a good point and that's what my trepidation is. My only rationale is the longevity of the Trek, and the titanium frame being something that I could basically keep forever.
>>
>>946905
6-4 Ti is some good shit if they heat treat it right. Good corrosion resistance and beats 3-2.5 Ti in mechanical properties.

>work a titanium supplier, mainly for aerospace fasteners and aerospace forging stock
>spend most of my time testing mechanical properties
>3-2.5 compared to Reynolds 525
>6-4 with a single step heat treatment compared to Reynolds 621
>6-4 with a 2 step heat treatment compares to Reynolds 725 but weighs about half as much
>ride 4130 steel because poor

For a did you know fact: the rails your airplane seats attach to are made from titanium and provide significant structural integrity
>>
>>946678
isn't 3xx like the second-to-bottom Miyata tier?
>>
>>946256
that's an awesome bike, people wouldn't touch your shit.
>>
File: image.jpg (86 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
86 KB, 600x600
/k/. I don't know shit about bikes. What's the bike version of the Mosin Nagant?
>>
>>946945
You might want to avoid stating what board you're from.
Some guy from /mu/ did just that and got nothing out of it. >>944175
>>
>>946945
A bike boom OTS with 11 year old dura ace from ebay so you can shitpost about how "I run dura ace and it's kinda overrated desu but I'm a patrican so whatevs"

Make sure to mention how clipless pedals are dangerous and disc brakes are a scam, also fenders are bullshit for little girls and what bike-specific levis pants are best for biking since you are definitely no cyclist and you're literally willing to jam a fucking wad of tampons up your own asshole to avoid wearing bike-specific clothes.
>>
>>946945

90s rigid mtb probably
>>
>>946945
>Mosin Nagant

>long service history
>use in multiple environments
>cheap
>widespread
>available consumables
>effective in its role
>convertible into a pistol

Nothing in bike world meets all those attributes. Some dutch bikes designs have been around for 75+ years. Good luck finding one because most of old examples have rusted away. Bikes don't get coated in cosomoline and thrown in a bunker for 50 years waiting for a battle that never came.

The closest thing is a Bridgestone RB-1. Quality frame that can be used on and off road ith moderns components. Some still exist from the 1980s.
>>
>>946954
>90s rigid mtb probably
Totally
>>946945
yup
>>
>>946957
Grant cultoid pls go
>>
>>944520
I work at a giant shop and we have a couple anyroads... They look really weird, and are comfortable but feel slow. I'd definitely recommend a tcx over the anyroad.

GT's "triple triangle" frames tend to be super stiff to the point of being uncomfortable on long rides.

105 builds tend to be the biggest bang for the buck. Tiagra doesn't shift as well and is only 10sp.
>>
>>946259
Well the 2 has a dropper post. I doubt you'll be able to find a float fork and shock for less than $1100, so you'd end up losing money trying to swap fork/shocks. The monarch R doesn't have an inertia lockout like propedal or whatever they call it. So, yes the trance 2 is worth the money.
>>
>>946952
What's this Dira ace shit? My 1992 ebay bike had record on it. Was not overrated.
>>
File: Cyclo-in-VietNam.jpg (62 KB, 438x335) Image search: [Google]
Cyclo-in-VietNam.jpg
62 KB, 438x335
Where can I order a cyclo?
>>
>>946192
lol Shimano makes dirt cheap shitty components too.
>>
>>946981
I wonder how passengers would react if someone like Sir Hoy doing his max effort on that thing
>>
>>946606
>>946646
Cant I take them off when I want to and when it rains or I want to carry stuff I can put them on ?
>>
>>946997
they'd get up and find another ride because sir hoy would snap the chain or the cranks or the whole fucking frame
>>
>>946945

idk about the Nugget, but to give you an analogy thing of 90s rigid MTBs as the AK, road bikes are ARs and track bikes are bolt-actions.
>>
Familia can I get some advise on this, Thanks !

https://newhaven.craigslist.org/bik/5547944103.html
>>
>>947019
I am 6'0 if it helps
>>
>>944567
>Will be holding off
WELP
Looks like the shmuck over at Merida only had, like, 20 units of the bike for the whole fucking region and they are now virtually unavailable. Fucking shit.
And I still need to wait an additional week for them GT shits.
Just kill me now.

>>946963
Thanks for the input, my friend, but the TCX looks to be _way_ above my budget. Not like the Merida one isn't but I was offered an initial 15% off the stock price (that will not go any lower apparently, partly because the reseller is unwilling and partly because they're out of stock with those bikes).
Ah well.

I asked about some cross/gravel/endurance road/roubaix/whatever type a bikes at a "used bikes reselling point" near my workplace and they said they'll tell me if anything shows up.
Think any good could come from that place?
Cheers.
>>
>>946638
>kickstarter which sounds like a kinda good deal for that price
They always do. They never are.
>>
>>947020
Call somebody to help you and do an online bike fit to determine your frame size & toptube+stem length for starters.
>>
File: image.jpg (150 KB, 516x516) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
150 KB, 516x516
How is REI as a bike shop? I'm looking to getting a first bike, probably a hybrid, and they seem to have a good selection. Is their house brand (Novara) any good? Looking at something like this
https://www.rei.com/product/875011/novara-buzz-x-bike-2016

I don't know much about bikes, so tell my why this bike is good or why it's shit. Thx
>>
>>947102

I should add that the bike will mainly be a daily commuter but I'll probably hit some light dirt trails too.
>>
How much am I going to have to sink into this free bike to make it ridable?
http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/bik/5551649180.html
>>
>tfw you start suspecting your sudden interest in cycling comes from an unconscious need for acceptance and belonging to a group instead of just git-gud'ing yourself.
>>
>>947102
That doesn't look safe.
>>
>>947254
Welcome to the human condition. Snacks will be served in the ballroom.
>>
>>947254
Meh, do it for you. If people accept you simply because you do the same shit they do, they're shallow people.
>>
>>946630
I already own a cx bike, I dont need another one.

ok re-asking about fat bikes. Yes I know they are a meme bike but that is part of the point to it. I want a fat bike. I was looking in the 1000-1500 usd range and I am also looking at the possibilities of adding an aftermarket suspension fork but after a quick look they are in the $3-500 range
>>
>>947102
REI is kinda over priced. Craigslist might be your best bet. Dont discount used bikes you can find some gems if you know what you are looking for. If you got money to spend than your current pick isnt the worst.
>>
>>947020
If the seller measured the bike correctly (which is a slim chance cause nobody measures road bikes in inches) than that bike is too small for you. At 6' you will likely need a 56 cm. bike.
>>
>>947334
American and British bikes were traditionally measured in inches. MTBs are still measured in inches.
>>
>>947310
I have worked on a couple fat bikes. All the off brand ones (Origin 8 and Evo) were complete shit and I spent hours sanding disc adapters and dishing wheels just to get them to work. Specialized has the best fat bike I have seen so far. However, Specialized is a piece of shit company that you should never support. Salsa fat bikes look nice, but I've never worked on one.
>>
>>947336
It's a Fuji road bike
>>
>>947349
You claim no one measures bikes in inches. That's false.

If you want to be really anal, I picked a random year, 1975 and looked up the Fuji Catalog

http://www.classicfuji.com/1975_08_Tourer.htm
>>
File: image12.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image12.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
https://orangecounty.craigslist.org/bik/5469218503.html

looking to pick this up sans shorts and shoes, etc. i've never bought a bike off cl before. what should i look out for?
>>
>>947254
Joke's on you mate, I don't identify with the cycling community whatsoever.
I simply like riding bike.
>>
>>947456
Anything dodgy

And any dents are not minor

Also all bikes on Craigslist were "only ridden 5 times" despite having worn out groupsets and wheelsnout of true
>>
File: giant track atx 850.jpg (55 KB, 726x542) Image search: [Google]
giant track atx 850.jpg
55 KB, 726x542
will take a look at this one today for about Eur100

I just need something fun
>>
>>947336
>>947352
Clarification: No competent people describe road bike sizes in inches.

>>947019
I'm guessing it's from about 1988. It's a basic chromolly rec rider. Learn what your size is and never compromise on it.

>>947102
Rarely as good as a dedicated shop. Mechanic quality varies quite a bit, but can usually handle a basic setup. Novara is fine in the same way Nashbar is.
>>
>>947456

Do what I do and make a checklist with each major component, and a 3 tier condition rating. Anything that needs to be replaced or is worn immediately results in a serious lowball offer.

Some people would call it being an asshole, but I'm only fine with making a reasonable offer if shit isn't broken or about to break.
>>
>>947266
It's safe for the one on top. The bear won't be hungry by then.
>>
>>946941
I'd hope so.
>>
Why do you cunts always act so entitled, like demanding delivery and getting mad when someone won't deliver their shit to your shady location so you can lowball and waste my time or try and mug me?
>>
>>947622
Sounds good you should upload and sticky the printable form for all the new Craigslist shoppers that come in here asking about fucking trek hybrids
>>
>>947731

Might do that if I get bored at work. I usually just write it down on a piece of scratch paper before I check something out in the off chance that I go full retard in my excitement and forget to look at something.

It's usually something like -

1a- Frame Condition: 1 2 3
1b- Frame Paint: 1 2 3
2a- Drivetrain: 1 2 3
3a- ???
4a- Profit

Nothing overly detailed, it's just there so I don't get ahead of myself.

>>947693

I dunno about you, but I think it's entirely reasonable to ask someone to take it out to a wal mart or some other place with a shit load of security cameras so you can check something out.

If you don't wanna do that, ebay is still a thing, or you can drop your price.
>>
>>944590
As fun as suspension is, fat bikes are better rigid. I fucking love my 160mm enduro bike, but I've ridden rigid and suspended fatbikes and the rigid ones are more fun.
Not that I've ridden singletrack on fatties, but as long as it's not really technical singletrack, I think my opinion would stay the same.
All a matter of preference of course.
If you do go rigid, I strongly recommend the Surly Wednesday. I've ridden lots of fatbikes and the Surlys have always been my favorites. I'm not even a Surly fanboy. With other types of bikes like touring rigs and commuters/cx bikes, Surlys are meh, but their fatties are fucking god-tier.
And at 1000-1500 I doubt you'll get suspended. You can always install a bluto later.
>>
my new bike comes in next week and I can't wait
>>
>>944547
>What's the most comfortable seat I can get for <£50 GBP
Not sure what the best is, but don't buy into the Brooks meme. They're shit.
>maybe cyclocross bike or a gravel or maybe endurance road or rando or whatever?
Any of those would be good. Endurance road if only doing pavement rides, cx/gravel if doing a combination of pavement and gravel/dirt, rando if doing long-distance rides.
>>
>>947759
neat
bikes are pretty cool
>>
>>947760
>trying this hard with the shitty anti-brooks meme

Leave.
>>
>>945371
t-tell me about your vintage bike, senpai
>>
>>946517
SE Mich. brofist
hope you've included ann arbor & jackson in your CL search, some decent stuff to be had
didja see the fuckin' 68cm Fuji w/ downtube shifters? KEK
>>
How Shit are cheap new bicycles? I've saved some money for a bicycle but I can only afford some chinese brands(mosso,galaxy) with shimano parts.
>>
>>947886

Chances are that they'll be awful. I've seen knockoff Shimano parts too.
>>
>>947794
I guess I could, but it would suck to take an hour drive somewhere to find out something is a bum deal.
>>
>>944547
Performance bike? Measure your ass first. Get a saddle that matches.

A casual upright rider? Go with something with a big sprung seat, like a beach cruiser type.
>>
>>944508
Yea, ignore them. Unless you go like a psychopath and hit every piece of shit and bump in the road, you'll be fine. If parts break, get new parts.
>>
What do I go for if I want absolutely minimal maintenance and high durability?
I usually don't give a fuk dam shit about things I own.
>>
>>947990
Single speed OTS (old ten speed) conversion
>>
>>947310

$500 fat bike:
www.bikesdirect.com/products/gravity/fat-bikes/fat-bikes-bullseye-monster.htm

It's probably shit, I wouldn't consider it, but I spend 5 or 6 months on a fatbike per year
>>
>>948039
Ok, so what should I look for to insure that its not crap? Maybe some obvious red signs? I am thinking I use this also more in the winter to commute to the gym, The cx bike is decent enough to do this but its not the most stable on snow and ice.
>>
>>944508
You should have gone with at least bikesdirect/nashbar slightly more expensive cheap crap.
>>
>>947948

If he lives in an area with a lot of salt spray that bike will be dead within a year or two. It's not just the shit components they use, but corrosion resistance that can make a huge difference.
>>
File: lf.jpg (86 KB, 933x700) Image search: [Google]
lf.jpg
86 KB, 933x700
this thing for ~330$
campy xenon equipped
yes/no?
>>
https://newhaven.craigslist.org/bik/5553392416.html

this got to be fake, right guys ?
>>
>>948127
If in very good shape and no bike thief vibes from seller, yes, that seems about fair. If it needs an overhaul try to knock about $100 off. Check that the tyres aren't dried out and cabling looks fresh.
Xeon is Xeon but it's still Campag.
>>
File: lf2.jpg (84 KB, 933x700) Image search: [Google]
lf2.jpg
84 KB, 933x700
>>948127
>>948141
>>
File: dog.jpg (64 KB, 497x644) Image search: [Google]
dog.jpg
64 KB, 497x644
hi /n/, /x/ here

what bike would you recommend for a dude that hasn't really ever rode a bike? I learned when I was 17 and didn't live in a bike friendly place until moving to Portland.

there's a bike co-op near my house that i think has some good deals, but i don't know my ass from my elbow when it comes to bikes. What should I look for in a bike? I'm six foot two so I think i need a bigger bike? idk tho
>>
>>948146
Ask them, jesus christ. Co-ops are run by exactly the kind of people you need to be talking to. Not a bunch of spergs who hate every bike and every reason for riding, for any reason or no reason at all.
>>
File: lf3.jpg (90 KB, 933x700) Image search: [Google]
lf3.jpg
90 KB, 933x700
>>948127
>>
>>948141
>plastic campy
N-no thank you.
>>
>>948146
Entry level road bike
Used mountain bike, rigid or hardtail with road tires.

If you're looking at new stuff, entry level hybrid, that resembles a rigid mountain bike.

>>948147
Co-op is likely to have many bikes for sale.
>>
hey /n/
I want to get into mountainbiking, but I lack the money and information to get into it.
How do I find a bike when I don't know anyone with knowledge, without getting ripped off?
I want to ride in the forest and alps and my budget is 600€. As far as I'm informed, my best bet is a used hardtail.
Please help
>>
>>948468
The first thing to do is to figure out what size bike you need. There are a lot of sizing guides easily found by googling. I have never ridden in the alps, but I'm going to guess that, like most mountains, the trails are pretty rough there. I'd get a used full suspension if you can swing it, or a 29" hardtail if you end up getting a hardtail. Craigslist is a good place to start for used bikes.
>>
>>948482
thanks! okay my framsize ist 17.5"
when I get a used bike, how do I avoid getting ripped off? I don't really know what to look for, that's what I'm afraid of
>>
>>948482
>>948486
+ wouldn't a cheap full suspension bike too heavy for the mountains?
>>
File: 01414_lGItfNBr30n_600x450.jpg (42 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
01414_lGItfNBr30n_600x450.jpg
42 KB, 600x450
Hey /n/ Ive been looking into buying a road bike for commuting and was wondering if this bike I found on CL was worth the price; https://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/bik/5555194164.html
Im pretty much a beginner when it comes to cycling know how and such so I figured not ask you guys.
>>
>>948487
Less weight is easier for climbing, which in your case. Doesn't matter.
>>
>>948487
Not necessarily, really depends on what you find. A good indicator of how nice a bike is, is how many cogs it has on the back wheel, the more the better. Don't get anything with 7 gears, 9-10 is good.
>>
>>948525
This bike is for somebody around 6'4" (assuming they measured it correctly). Make sure you are getting the right size. The drive train looks worn; when you see the bike spin the wheels and see if there is a wobble in them. The price seems a little high; I'd try to get them to come down.
>>
>>948482
why 29er for mountain? wouldn't 27.5 be better for maneuverability going down at fast speeds?
or is it personal preference
>>
File: headtube tell.jpg (35 KB, 400x200) Image search: [Google]
headtube tell.jpg
35 KB, 400x200
>>948530
>>This bike is for somebody around 6'4" (assuming they measured it correctly)

what do you mean, "assuming"? the merest glance shows it is obviously for a very tall person
>>
>>948530
Well, im 6 feet tall and when I looked up a size chart it said that should be a good size for me. Thanks anon, ill make sure to do those things!
>>
File: bike size chart road.png (40 KB, 627x266) Image search: [Google]
bike size chart road.png
40 KB, 627x266
>>948560
that bike is too big for you, son.

you don't have to believe me, but when you stand over it, you will be on tippy-toes to avoid crushing your nuts.

if you don't have an inch or two from taint to top tube standing flat-footed, it don't fit. no such thing as "a little too big, so it'll be OK." No. a little small you can kinda get away with. too big=walk away.

I'm 6'3" and the right pic is my bike >>948559
the one you posted is taller than mine. sorry, charlie.
>>
>>948559
Heh, note that there are road bikes that use 27 inch wheels yet a frame that looks big is actually small. Of course, most road bikes have 700
>>
>>948563
Guess ill look for a 58cm bike then, thanks Anon
>>
>>948565
>27 inch wheels yet a frame that looks big is actually small
That would be the other way around. 27" is larger than 28". You're thinking of tri/junior bikes with 650c wheels.
>>
>>948566
no prob. if a bike is in the ballpark and has a horizontal top tube, go check it out and use the standover technique to make sure. but the one you posted would be a wasted trip and if you had unknowingly bought it, it would have been really uncomfortable and would have handled dangerously. and crushed your nuts eventually.
>>
>>948556
It's a little bit personal preference. The 29" wheels have much better bump compliance for mountainous descents. The 29" hardtail is going to be much more forgiving when you bash into a root than a 27.5 would for an inexperienced rider.

Honestly either would be fine; I wouldn't recommend a 26" hardtail though.
>>
>>948567
yeah, that's what i actually meant
saw a bike online and the woman said it was standard size, with the frame looking like it would fit me but it was actually tiny.
>>
File: bullshit.gif (39 KB, 294x200) Image search: [Google]
bullshit.gif
39 KB, 294x200
>>948572

As someone who fell for the 29er meme, I can tell you that while it's true they have "better roll" the tradeoffs are too great.

The problems are three:

increased chainstay length
reduced wheel & fork rigidity
increased wheel & tire weight

The result is a bike with really very poor handling all around.

If I were going to build a 29er today, it would be a Surly Karate Monkey or nothing.

27.5" is absolutely the way to go, but you still need to keep an eye on chainstay length.
>>
>>948174
But Super Record is almost all-plastic.

>>948620
26+ is the future, and 26- is the superfuture.
>>
Looking to buy something special for my dad's 40th.

Lookingat the 3-6k range. any pointers?
>>
File: bike.jpg (219 KB, 992x650) Image search: [Google]
bike.jpg
219 KB, 992x650
>>948674

That puts you in custom titanium range.

Moots or Black Sheep.
Salsa is nice too.
>>
>>948674

also;

Ritte
Colnago
Look
>>
>>948685

>>948674

But the very first thing you should do is buy him a really thorough bike fitting session with the best professional bike fitter you can find.

They'll be able to get him pointed in exactly the right direction, and provide detailed measurements to a framebuilder if you go the custom route.
>>
Ritte looks unreal fuck
>>
File: 1399737458789.jpg (218 KB, 615x442) Image search: [Google]
1399737458789.jpg
218 KB, 615x442
>>948674

Cannondale Supersix Evo Hi-Mod
>>
>>948688
>ritte
>literally buying a generic chinese frame with a fancy paint job
>>
>>948690

Unless you go far, far out of your way to buy local and custom, that is literally the entire bicycle industry.

As paint schemes go, Ritte is the hotness.
>>
>>948692
I don't think you understand what the word generic means.
>>
>>948687
Good god, that thing is ulgy. In fact, ugly doesn't begin to describe it.
>>948685
>Colnago
The Italian lugged carbon frames are beautifull. The rest is meh at best. They sometimes go full retard with the bling and styling.
>>948689
>Cannondale Supersix Evo Hi-Mod
Do want.
>>
>>948698
>Good god, that thing is ugly

I think so too, but Look is always pushing the envelope in weird ways. They have serious cred.
>>
are the tandems on amazon worth buying? I was gonna buy a single speed with my tax return but i got interested.
>>
>>948702
Do you even have anyone to ride with?
>>
>>948718
My Yuki-chan dakimakura of course.
>>
Is claris gruppo really that bad?
Is getting a full alu claris crap bike for less than half the price of my dream bike worth it at all (not even asking about later upgrading it because that would be ridiculous)? Or should I better scrap for a sora one with garbon fork (and a +70% price increase, but still not quite there yet)? Or maybe a claris with garbon for +40%? What do I do pls help thx.

It sucks to be poor and in a poor country.
>>
>>948720
>%
What unit of currency is this and how many USD is it?
>>
>>948722
Poor laddie's ones.
1 dollarydoo is ca. 4 my poor ones, so whatever. And since we're poor, prices are higher too!

The cheapest bike is from a local manufacturer, if that changes anything.
Or maybe look for something used?
>>
>>948723
So 70%s is 17.5USD? How poor are you that you can't upgrade?
>>
>>948720

Post the actual bikes you are talking about, and the actual prices, and your intended use and maybe someone can actually help you
>>
>>948724
lel
Mate, you don't know what a percentage is?

>>948725
Little bit embarrassed tbqh and I've been spamming this thread for quite some time already.
>>
>>948726
What country uses percentages as money?
>>
>>948731
kek
K E K
>>
>>948720

Do you already have a bicycle? Unless what you're running is already broken as shit I would just save up for the bike you really want. I compromised on a used bike recently, and while it's way the fuck nicer on the road than my MTB I'm really thinking I should have just waited another year or so and gone full retard on a very expensive bike.
>>
I've been looking to buy a bike. Hoping to find a good deal on craiglists. But ive been really annoyed by this fuck that spams Craigslist bike ads
https://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/bid/5557556988.html
Everything about it is annoying and shady. The terrible ads he makes, the complete lack of any relevant info about the bikes, the fact that he throws a coat of paint on a shit bike and charges $400 for it, and not least of all that it appears these bikes are stolen.

what can I do about this faggot?
>>
>>948824
https://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/bid/5557540873.html

Another ad by this shady vendor. Why doesn't he at least put an effort into seeming reputable?
>>
>>948824
>>948826
>what can I do about this faggot?
You can flag his posts, but ultimately if he's willing to keep reposting his stuff there's nothing you can do about craigslist idiots.

Also, educate people whenever you can - most adults know pretty much nothing about bicycles and how to tell good from bad. That's why ads like those will probably attract at least a few customers to that guy.
>>
So I'm selling a bike, and this guy keeps emailing me, and asking for my phone number, but won't send his. It seems kind of shady as fuck. Should I give him my phone number? It seems like common sense that if you are asking for a phone number, you give yours first.
>>
>>948827
>>>948824
>>>948826
>what can I do about this faggot?
Put up ads of your own in the same category warning people about the faggot. Keep posting your own adds something like "WARNING - avoid [this guys adds]" with info on why to avoid it
>>
I'm just looking for a cheap used bike as a daily driver for groceries, trips to a part time job, and sometimes some 8-10ish mile day trips.

6'3, around 275lbs. Been told that due to my weigh, and the fact that I may be forced to end up on some modestly shitty roads that I should be looking for a rigid mountain bike frame.

Just how important is it to find a bike that matches your frame size? Most of the mountain bikes I can find on craigslist that are reasonably priced are at a price where I may as well order a bike off bikesdirect, or visit a LBS for a used bike.

I do see quite a few rather old large sized road bikes, but will their frame handle my weight, and my use case?
>>
>>948952
If you feel uncomfortable may as well wait for another buyer.

Still, if I was to sell anything off CL, I would make sure not to give out my primary number anyways. Register a google voice number so some bot doesn't scrape your number.
Still,
>>
>>949070
yes an old road bike should be able to handle your weight, but the reason few people are recommending that type of bike is because of your current experience level (or lack there of). A rigid mtn bike is comfortable and durable making it an ideal bike for you. I would suggest you pay attention to size of bike being as big as you are. Nobody wants to ride an uncomfortable bike.
>>
>>949075
I mean I have ridden a bike before, but this will be the first time I've done so as a daily driver, so yeah, I do kinda assume whatever I get better be able to handle a great deal of abuse. Be it due to the elements or my own inexperience.

A few of the bikes i've seen that i'm trying to follow up with

http://detroit.craigslist.org/wyn/bik/5557353037.html ( and a few others he as listed, but dude is clearly a dealer, and I don't know if that's a no-go or not. I mean if they're legitimately tuned up, and such would they be a good deal? )
http://detroit.craigslist.org/wyn/bik/5524181851.html (another one from the same dude)

http://detroit.craigslist.org/wyn/bik/5520227904.html (gotta email him still)
http://detroit.craigslist.org/mcb/bik/5514841937.html (hasn't been following up with me)
http://detroit.craigslist.org/okl/bik/5556823087.html (god I hope this guy calls me back, because that's a steal at that price I think, even if it's abit far from where I am)

I'm a shit negotiator, and because I know dick about bikes I what I should be arguing over, i'm scared to try and talk people down. What should I be looking for to talk people down, and if what if I see should I just walk away from?
>>
>>949085
http://detroit.craigslist.org/okl/bik/5556823087.html (god I hope this guy calls me back, because that's a steal at that price I think, even if it's abit far from where I am)

I may be able to meet this dude Thursday evening!
>>
>>949123
best of luck; any of those last three would be a good purchase
>>
>>948788
Hey.
Yeah I do have a bike. It's an old alu cross fitted for commuting, it rides nice and all, never gave me any problems but it's heavy ass all hell and I started thinking of getting _another_ biek for going faster.
The one that hook me up was a cyclo cross bike way way above of what I could ever pay (but with a discount it went from ridiculous to only slightly crazy). However it's virtually unavailable any more, so whatever. Looking for options here. I know a comparable roadie would cost me less, but I don't think I am ready for a wire thin tyre lycra crap. Cyclo cross/gravel bikes are expensive and scarce and I am yet to find an "endurance"/"roubaix"/whatever (more relaxed/less aggressive) road bike able to accommodate at least a 35c tyre.
Held off from getting the first one to see some other bikes, they're yet to show up, so I keep looking.
I did visit a used bike reseller joint some time ago, asking if they have anything like that at all. No contact from them yet, so maybe they don't. I'll check it out this week anyway.
I think I'm set for getting a nicer one rather than the cheapest option. Something on tiagra (if the first one will really be out of stock ).
Another wall o' text that no one will even read. Ah well.
Cheers.
>>
http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/2015-New-Fast-VISP-RD-Machete-AL-52cm-700C-X-70mm-Road-Bike-Speed-Road-Bicycle/1339087_32228370943.html

is it a good deal?
>>
File: dogfacedwoman.jpg (36 KB, 416x423) Image search: [Google]
dogfacedwoman.jpg
36 KB, 416x423
>>949218
Yes, buy it, it says FAST right there man
>>
>>949229
can you tell me what kind of cranks are they?
it looks to be campy but the website doesn't say.
>>
File: milf.jpg (24 KB, 251x244) Image search: [Google]
milf.jpg
24 KB, 251x244
>>949231
They're super record
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 54

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.