[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I guess skateboard general? Considering getting a skateboard
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /n/ - Transportation

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 7
File: Skateboard.jpg (43 KB, 700x547) Image search: [Google]
Skateboard.jpg
43 KB, 700x547
I guess skateboard general?

Considering getting a skateboard to help me get around for my job.

While I would love to get a bike, it does not fit well for Car pools/Buses, So ya.

Basically is building my own from parts best?

How much does a decent skate board cost, do I need to spend more than 50 bucks for something decent? only ever bought the cheapest off the shelf stuff.

I only need it for riding, probably going to get something compact so it can fit into my bag/on my bag

Do they make security trucks with a loop for locking it up to something?

Thanks /n/.
>>
>>/asp/
>>
>>943815
But I have no need for doing tricks or whatever
>>
>>943816
There's a skateboarding thread there. You'll probably find better help there but I can answer.

>is building my own from parts best?
Probably not unless you know what you want.

>decent board cost?
You can get a Churchill Penny Killer for $75.
https://www.funboxdist.com/store/cruisers-and-street-boards/
Check the rest of the boards on that page, pick what length/shape you like.

>Do they make security trucks with a loop for locking it up to something?
No. If you're going for a small board, it'll be easy to keep it close by and keep an eye on it.

Have you ever ridden before? What distances do you plan on riding? The penny killer is 23" so it's pretty short, the cruisers are 28" which would be more stable at speed.
>>
>>943823
Thanks, distances are probably few miles, obviously only skating on flat/downhill, I've ridden a bit, but my balance is going to be fine.
>>
>>943825
If you take a penny board downhill, you deserve whatever happens to you
>>
>>944452
I get that a larger board would be nicer, but I kind of need/want the portability. Suppose I could just go for a standard size.

and obviously, I'm not going to go down like extremely steep hills, at least ones that don't have a fence nearby where I can basically just keep myself at a decent speed
>>
>>944453
>I get that a larger board would be nicer, but I kind of need/want the portability.
get a cruiser board that is comfortable to ride, you can carry a 4ft board on a bus
http://hamboards.com/
you can get a decent cruiser for $100, but something awesome for $300
>>
>>945577
While nice, I'd rather have something on the cheaper side in case it gets stolen
>>
>>945626
Don't get a hamboard unless you want to pretend you live in the 60's.
With $100 or $200 you can build or buy a great board. For just under $100 you can get something good for commuting.

Some of the 28" cruisers on Funbox are the same price as the Penny Killer and would be more stable on slight hills and more comfortable for distance.
>>
>>945657
Just going to see how it goes with the cheap board, will probably just add some wood for reinforcement, and replace the bearings/wheels when I can
>>
>>944452
You'll be fine if you're steazy
>>
File: dylan and austyn.jpg (44 KB, 601x601) Image search: [Google]
dylan and austyn.jpg
44 KB, 601x601
>>943805
OP join us then in the skateboardand we'll try to help you as much as we caan. /n/ is pretty inactive so we'll try to get the numbers up whilst maintaining quality posting.

>>948488
>>
File: Fat Guy on a Little Board.webm (2 MB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
Fat Guy on a Little Board.webm
2 MB, 640x480
>>948493
Already got my board
>>
>>948495
then join us on /sb/ to discuss if you want. maybe we can give you advice
>>
>>948497
/asp/ already has a skateboard general though
>>
>>948497
I thihnk it best suited for /n/ because it can be used as transport just like bicycles
>>
>>948501
for>>948498
>>
>>948501
highly doubtful it would catch on
>>
>>948504
I wish it does 2bh. this is very slow and mostly about bikes but i want to see other things liike skateboards and stuff too so im goin to atleast give it a shot and shill the fuck outta it so that it grows and people can take away something from the threads
>>
>>948505
This board and auto should just be merged
>>
>>945677
>asks for advice
>ignores advice

JFC go to /asp/ already
>>
File: Cheap Skateboard2.jpg (964 KB, 1820x1368) Image search: [Google]
Cheap Skateboard2.jpg
964 KB, 1820x1368
>>948526
Worked out fine
>>
>>948516
that actually sounds good. /o/ is pretty dead and it makes sense coz auto and transport are the same thing
>>
>>948501
>just like bicycles
I UCI what you did there.
>>
I have a new one lip (old school dominion look, but it's got a slight concave middle). It has regular trucks that are wide enough to work with the board, and they're high enough to allow 60+ mm size wheels( super important for getting the most momentum out of each push) decent bearings help a tonne. Ceramics are awesome but pricey. Redz will do, but you should clean them more often. Ya. No such thing as a board lock. But if you have a place to put a back pack, you have a place to put a board
>>
In Spain I bought a 20€ penny board, it is awesome, light, good turn rate, can carry on my bag, metal trucks, it's as good as a real penny, but 4 times cheaper.
>>
File: IMG_4315.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4315.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
Get a longboard, they're much smoother and stable to ride.

You also dont look like a faggot when you're standing on it.
>>
>>943805
deck: blank from local shop, the grip tape they sell/install for you is better that what you usually buy online, plus you can feel it before you buy it. just get a standard deck, pennys are mostly just for fun (and are actually super heavy compared to a regular deck) and a long board can be hard to handle at first. when shopping for a deck, aim for one that's as flat as possible; super concave ones can be a ware on your feet after a while, but do help with turning. don't worry about width.

trucks: Independent are good for their price, remember to get a set that match the width of your board, minus like 5mm or so if you can

wheels: something fat, around 58-62 to start with. the gummier ones for really rough streets, and slightly tougher ones for better turn response. Look up "These" they're great and cheap for quality, plus there's tons of scalpers on amazon right now selling them for like half price.

bearings: just go with abec9, especially for a cruiser. they last longer, and while it may take more to get them going its nice to be able to depend on them. get a brand with rubber caps so you can lube and clean. Look up pacific fliers on amazon, they're super cheap and are really dependable. if you're going to be in a lot of water look into ceramic bearings, they wont rust but also don't move as well. they do however have awesome response at high speeds. just remember to lube them a lot, they run through it like sheit.

this is all stuff you can upgrade into though. i recommend going the route of buying a shit kryptonics from walmart and just upgrading it from there. everything's universal. get new trucks and bearings your first priority though, those alone make half the ride.

hint by the way; it sounds like you're new to boarding. tighten your bushings (the rubber part in your trucks, held down by the downwards pin, called a kingpin) down as hard as you can, then loosen it until you can start to turn better
>>
>>948529
what are you doing
why would you do that
do you need spacers?
>>
>>950702
>long board
>not looking like a homo
Pick one
>>
How do you actually stop on a skateboard?
>>
>>951373
>those alone make half the ride

>2 of the 4 major parts of a skateboard

That math checks out
>>
File: skit.jpg (638 KB, 1457x855) Image search: [Google]
skit.jpg
638 KB, 1457x855
>>
>>953626
You just put your foot down. Skateboards are so slow that there is no risk. Am average person in good health could also try slowly walking forward of the board while it is moving.
>>
>>953626
http://www.wikihow.com/Stop-a-Skateboard
>>
>>953626
You jump off and someone else's ankle stops the board
>>
>>945657
Funbox and Churchill are both owned by the same manufacturer
>>
This board is ass when it comes to anything about skateboarding. Go to /asp/.
But if you need something more portable than a longboard but more rideable than a penny board, get a cruiser setup. Here's mine on the right.

Also I wouldn't pay less than 100 for a street skateboard setup and probably not less than 130 for a cruiser setup.
>>
File: 20160527_212730.jpg (2 MB, 3264x1836) Image search: [Google]
20160527_212730.jpg
2 MB, 3264x1836
>>961197
Fuck me, forgot pic.
It's also probably going to be rotated in some autistic way so it's the Arizona one
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.