[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
BANNED A N N E D
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /n/ - Transportation

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 24
BANNED
A
N
N
E
D
>>
Hilarious! I'm glad though, fuck piling up on some dudes rotor.
>>
GUYS, I'M TRAINING ON A CROSS BIKE WITH FULL 105 AND I JUST GOT BANNED FROM ALL LOCAL CLUB RIDES BECAUSE I AM A DANGER TO THE OTHER RIDERS! I HAD NO IDEA WHAT KIND OF HARM I COULD HAVE CAUSED. I JUST ORDERED A NEW SET OP ZIPPS FOR SAFETY REASONS. PLEASE RESPOND.
>>
>>943820
Start your own club.
>>
FUCK YES

Nobody in the pro peleton asked for those fucking things. The riders didn't, the teams didn't, it was just the big manufacturers ramming it down everyone's throat.

I'm sure that they'll be back, but with a requirement for shitty rotor guards.

>>943820
It won't be banned from CX because CX doesn't have tight packs of riders and mass pileups.
>>
>>943830
Maybe it would help if they stopped making discs that look like circular saw blades.
>>
>>943831
Well, discs have a tendency to be round and thin.
>>
UCI being backwards as fuck and all the pro riders are drinking the Kool-Aid
>>
File: disc.png (6 KB, 363x421) Image search: [Google]
disc.png
6 KB, 363x421
>>943832
But they could just make them round and beveled. That way all the exposed edges are always an obtuse 135 degrees. Even when it wears down to the red line. And at that point the disc is worn and would need to be replaced.
>>
Nice.

Fucking idiots banning objectively better ways of doing things. Why not remove brakes all together to save weight? Wouldnt it be just as effective to grab your front tire with your hand as using shitty rimbrakes?

Only my current roadie has rim brakes and they are shit. I'm never going to buy anything that does not have hydraulic discs, because I am not a poor retard.
>>
>>943837
Formula SAE requires certain minimum radii on leading edges for safety, but I guess that would just make too much sense for the UCI.
>>
>>943837
The discs are dangerous because the edge is quite thin. You're proposing to bevel that very edge, thus making it even thinner. Are you literally retarded?
>>
A lot of people are saying that the problem will be solved once the discs are fitted with covers. That simply won't happen.

Besides the aerodynamic drag that it would imply, such a cover could only be fitted on the fork, thus having to remove it each time a wheel has to be changed. That waste of time isn't viable in the pro peloton.

Maybe more importantly, remember that the main issue with road disc brakes is still heat buildup. Rotors have fins, brake calipers have fins, brake pads have fins, even some fucking brake mounts have cooling fins. Now imagine how that would work with the front of the rotor covered up (and possibly the full left side), as well as stopping most of the cool airflow that reaches the brake pads.

IT'S OVER

DISCS ARE DEAD

Also, daily reminder that if you need disc brakes to experience "powerful, modulated braking" you're either obese, handicapped or both.
>>
>>943831
There's not much that can be done about that, unfortunately. The only good solution is a rotor cover, but a good one would cause problems with heat dissipation, another thing that everyone is worried about.

It's really just unnecessary and unwanted technology on road racing bikes. Their advantages don't come into play like they do with MTB and CX.

>>943840
Unless you're using utterly shit-tier single pivot calipers with rock hard pads, your rim brakes should provide sufficient braking power and modulation for any situation. Or maybe your hands are weak? Do you cry from pain when shaking hands with someone?
>>
>>943840
>Why not remove brakes all together to save weight?
If you seriously think this is about weight, you're deeply autistic.
>Only my current roadie has rim brakes and they are shit.
>I am not a poor retard.
Well, you are either morbidly obese, have badly set-up brakes or the hand strength of a toddler.
>>
>>943847
Not him but I'd really like to know what's wrong with the rear brakes on my grabon bike. Direct mount under the chainstays, but they're so weak I basically can't even lock the wheel up. Tried pulled with more force once and popped the cable housing out or something.
>>
>>943849
Well, the fact that you say "grabon" unironically and believing that you "popped the cable housing or something" already makes it clear that you aren't mechanically capable of maintaining your own bike. I suspect your brakes are either cheap, poorly set-up or are straining to stop an obese rider.

Or you have babby-hands.
>>
>>943849
Are you shifting your weight forward enough while braking? Try shifting your weight forward more, then applying the rear brake.

The only thing I really use my rear brake for on road bikes is bleeding off small amounts of speed in corners, though.
>>
>>943846
>There's not much that can be done about that, unfortunately.
It's called making them round.

>>943844
Spokes are thinner. Exposed cables are thinner. Etc.
>>
>>943837

People keep posting this, what the fuck are they thinking? discs are 1.5 to 2 mm thick, "rounding off" the edge would only serve to make them even sharper than the flat edge they currently come with. Seriously what?

Anyway, good riddance I say. Discs add nothing but weight, cost and complexity to a __road__ bike. Fingers crossed they make a giant defy without discs next year.
>>
>>943850
>implying I didn't use it ironically

Everything else aside, the brakes on the old frame were ultegra, and everything except the rear brakes were swapped to a new frame, which now has some FSA direct mount brake. The performance going between the two is equally garbage.

So yes something is probably not set up correctly but I'm curious as to what it would be.

(No, I'm not fat. Am fred though.)
>>
>>943856
You're not going to cut anything with a 1.5mm blunt edge. Try taking a kitchen knife and cutting shit, yourself, whatever, with the spine. Or press as hard as you can into a bicycle spoke and see if you get cut.
>>
>>943860
Yup, and a 1.5 mm edge that has been squared off is even more blunt than that.
>>
>>943862
90 degree corners are sharper than obtuse radiused corners, especially if they've been freshly sharpened by abrasives wearing it down.
>>
>>943854
>Spokes are thinner.
But they're inside the wheel. It's way, way more easy to get hit by a disc brake when impacting the front/back of a bike than hitting a spoke.
>Exposed cables are thinner. Etc.
Your hairs are thinner, but they won't cut your arm. Are you retarded?

>>943858
>ultegra
>FSA direct mount brake
>performance going between the two is equally garbage
>Am fred though
You call yourself a fred, yet you rate the Ultegra braking performance as "garbage". I'm sorry, but you must be trolling or mentally handicapped in some unfortunate way.
>>
File: ok.gif (2 MB, 408x225) Image search: [Google]
ok.gif
2 MB, 408x225
>>943863
Gonna have to agree to disagree there mate. Guess we'll wait and see if anyone releases rounded-edge rotors. Don't hold your breath.
>>
>>943860
>You're not going to cut anything with a 1.5mm blunt edge.
That's easy to prove. Secure your disc-equipped bike on the floor, take off your shoe and kick the disc as hard as you can. Nothing bad could happen to your bare foot, right? After all, blunt edges don't cut!

Seriously, who could be worried about a 160ÂșC rotating metal disc impacting your leg at 80km/h with 70kg of weight behind it?

>>943863
>square thing is more sharp than sharp thing
Okay buddy, but don't miss the short bus.
>>
File: disc.jpg (29 KB, 626x515) Image search: [Google]
disc.jpg
29 KB, 626x515
>>943863
Your retardation, on MSpaint.
>>
File: sharp.png (2 KB, 363x103) Image search: [Google]
sharp.png
2 KB, 363x103
>>943865
>Your hairs are thinner, but they won't cut your arm. Are you retarded?
Thank you for proving the point. Disc rotors aren't thin enough to cut you.

>>943867
>That's easy to prove. Secure your disc-equipped bike on the floor, take off your shoe and kick the disc as hard as you can. Nothing bad could happen to your bare foot, right? After all, blunt edges don't cut!
It won't cut, that doesn't mean it won't bruise and hurt.

>square thing is more sharp than sharp thing
One of these is sharper than the other.
>>
>>943865
The front brake is totally fine. I'm not saying "ultegra is garbage" I'm saying "this brake is ultegra and the performance is not as expected".

I can lock the back wheel on my other bike which has mechanical discs easily, on this one it's simply not possible. There is not enough braking power.
>>
File: flesh.png (65 KB, 626x515) Image search: [Google]
flesh.png
65 KB, 626x515
>>943869
Your skin is flexible. It will wrap around the rounded one smoothly, but the corners of the flat one will dig in.
>>
>>943870
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

LOOK AT HIM!

LOOK AT HIM AND LAUGH!

Do you seriously believe that a disc edge is sharpened like that? It's blunt, you fucking retard. Absolutely flat. You're someone who hasn't seen a fucking disc brake in his miserable life, but you come here as if you could improve their faulty design. You're like the 12 year old kids on /o/ telling you what car to buy.

Please someone screencap his retardation.
>>
>>943802
whats thisÂŽ?
>>
>>943858
You must really suck at braking. Like, you use the rear brake exclusively or something. If you aren't able to brake hard enough with the front brake to lift your rear tire, something is very wrong with your brake or you suck.

That you care about the rear brake at all makes me think your basic cycling skills are undeveloped.
>>
>>943872
You literally haven't seen a disc brake in the flesh, and don't have a clue about how they work or interact with your skin in an impact. Please, stop embarassing yourself.

The smaller the contact point, the lower the force needed to break the skin. This is easy to understand.

You don't cut your meat at home using the back of a knife, do you? No, you use the edge. Yeah, the part that is thinner.
>>
>>943873
It is if you're coming at it at a 45 degree angle. But apparently, to you, the only angle it can ever touch you is head on. I know you're baiting, I just am replying because I don't want other people to mistakenly believe anything you say.
>>
>>943858
>I don't know how to brake
>>
>>943871
Why do you care so much about the fucking rear brake? It contributes almost nothing to your ability to stop quickly.
>>
>>943876
But according to you, the blunt rounded 1.5mm unsharpened back edge of a knife can cut things.
>>
>>943877
Mate, you've been caught in your retardation. Stop pretending that now your drawing was of a "45 degree angle", when we were talking about rotor edges and you very obviously attempted to draw exactly that.

Maybe mommy can drive you to a LBS to look at some disc brakes, if you finish your homework first.
>>
>>943880
You literally haven't seen a disc brake in real life.
And yes, it will cut things. You know, mankind has kind of been cutting things before machine-sharpened edges were around.

As I said, testing it is simple. Take off your shoes, tie down a knife to some furniture and kick it as hard as you can. Nothing bad could happen, right?
>>
To the retards who say that blunt edges can't cut: remember why bar end plugs are mandatory?
>>
How do the hydraulic actuated rim brakes compare to the regular cable ones?
>>
>>943884
>bar end plugs are mandatory
I actually don't know why this is, although I can assume its because bars are more dangerous without plugs. Was there some significant incident that lead to this rule though?
>>
>>943886
http://www.ijcasereportsandimages.com/archive/2014/006-2014-ijcri/CR-10391-06-2014-fichadia/ijcri-1039106201491-fichadia.pdf

(nsfw)
http://www.jems.com/content/jems/en/articles/print/volume-38/issue-3/patient-care/ems-treats-blunt-traumatic-injury-bicycl/_jcr_content/leftcolumn/article/headerimage.scale.large.jpg/1441387904082.jpg
>>
>>943882
That is the edge of a rotor, turned 45 degrees.

>>943883
>And yes, it will cut things. You know, mankind has kind of been cutting things before machine-sharpened edges were around.
Not with 1.5mm blunt objects no. Chipped obsidian for example is sharper than any metal blade.

>As I said, testing it is simple. Take off your shoes, tie down a knife to some furniture and kick it as hard as you can. Nothing bad could happen, right?
That sounds stupid just like kicking a wall. Except stupider. That doesn't mean a wall will cut your foot.
>>
>>943889
>blunt injury
>cut
Yes, blunt objects can break skin. Penetration isn't the same as cutting.
>>
>>943890
>>943891
Holy fuck you absolute manchildren mongoloids who haven't seen a disc brake in your pathetic dorito-munching lives.

A disc brake will fuck you up. Whether you understand it or not is irrelevant. It's not hard to understand.
>>
>>943893
>he was raped by disc brakes as a child
>>
>>943802
Can someone give me a tl;dr?
>>
Hi I just discovered this board and didn't want to make a new thread. How long has /n/ been a thing?
politesage
>>
>>943837
Why not put it between the spokes (as in: inside the wheel)?
>>
>>943895

The UCI allowed riders in the peloton to have disc brakes for the first time this year. It was just revealed that a pro rider carved his leg open quite badly in a race on another riders exposed disc brake rotor. The UCI decided today to ban the use of disc brakes in pro road cycling.

>>943898
AFAIK /n/ has been around for as long as any other board (except /a/ and /b/)
>>
>>943900
I knew /n/ had existed for yonks, but not about transportation. I just looked it up and /n/ was changed from '/n/ - News' to '/n/ - Transportation' in 2008.
>>
>>943899
because the wheel spins dipshit how are you going to connect the cable?
>>
>>943902
Thru the hub!
>>
>>943900

I'm still not sure how he managed to cut his left leg on a disc while staying on his bike. He'd have to put his leg all the way over the back wheel
>>
>>943903
>>943902

Electronic wireless calipers imo
>>
>>943905
Whoa. Mind blown.
>>
>>943900
thx
>>
>>943905
>while staying on his bike.
He didn't. He went down in a pile-up and didn't notice his injury until a while later. Not uncommon for riders to get back on their bike even with broken bones.
>>
>>943876
>You literally haven't seen a disc brake in the flesh
Was the pun intended?
>>
>>943899
Some type of cowling would be much more convenient. Could possibly be an aero advantage too, over naked calipers.
>>
>>943910
>Let me take you to 130km into the race: into a cobbled section, a pile-up splits the field, with riders falling everywhere. I’ve got to break but I can’t avoid crashing against the rider in front of me, who was also trying not to hit the ones ahead. I didn’t actually fall down: it was only my leg touching the back of his bike. I keep riding.
>>
>>943900
>UCI needs several near-fatal accidents and some high profile casualties to order pros to wear helments
>some shmuck got a booboo
>BAN DISC BRAKES ASAP!
Silly.

>>943913
>>943905
DISC BRAKES BAN WAS AN INSIDE JOB!
Anyway, he probably unclipped his leg to not fall on his ass like a bitch if he got to a full stop.
>>
>>943913
This... I completely believe he didn't go down and still rubbed it. There is contact between riders constantly at higher level racing. (even like cat 2)
>>
Maybe they should start making them have a chain guard that wraps the front sprocket. Someone could fall, flip the bike, have the chain fall off, and another rider might be injured when it collides with their leg as they pass by
>>
>>943913
>crashing against the rider in front of me
Are you litterate? He didn't fall to the ground as in laying flat down, but he crashed into the pile-up.
Back wheel going on the inside of his left leg could have cut him up, riders bike turned up-side down could have cut him up, putting a knee/leg down on a bike on it's side could have cut him up.

How is it you conspiracy retards always get hung up on some minute detail that you deem "implausible", when it is the already established outcome? You don't get to go back in time and say something couldn't have happened just because you find it unlikely - post facto.
>>
>>943916
Yeah sprockets are pointy, WE NEED CHAIN GUARDS NOW
>>
>>943917
Silly anon, he was from movistar, who ride canyon. And everyone knows canyon doesn't have a road bike with discs.
>>
>>943912
A cowling would have to be ayttached to the front fork, and be removed every time a wheel has to be swapped. It would also overheat the disc and pads, very fast.
>>
File: killer sprocket.jpg (278 KB, 2550x2100) Image search: [Google]
killer sprocket.jpg
278 KB, 2550x2100
>>943916
>>943919
Holy shit! Literally DEATH GEARS!
How come UCI isn't doing anything about this?!
>>
>>943914
>>943916
>>943919
>>943922
Jeez, guess who just bought a disc bike...
>>
>>943922
>>943919

>Something is dangerous which is vital to bikes, so we should allow everything else that is hazardous

Hold on guys, I just shot myself in the dick while I was driving my C A R. While both things are dangerous in themselves, shooting myself in the dick isn't ANY MORE dangerous than driving alone. Danger and hazards don't "stack" so to speak.
>>
>>943925
I think you're right.
But I also think that the biggest contributing factor to bike unsafety is the speed. If UCI really cares for the well-being of the cyclist they should ban races altogether and instead hold beach cruising competitions from now on.
>>
>>943893
so put a guard on it. problem solved.
>>
>>943921
>and be removed every time a wheel has to be swapped
Only if theres not a slip in it to release the disc, or if the disc is slightly inlayed to the inside of a plate. Think bashguard.
>overheat the disc and pads, very fast
Nope. Various types of cowling are used to direct and accelerate airflow. I think it's Lampre-Merida that have special cowls and ducts over their rear disc breake to _increase_ cooling performance.
>>
>>943925
>Something is dangerous which is vital to bikes
Lack of chain-/bashguard is not vital. Your argument is fail.
>>
>>943929
*slit
'a slit in it', goddamit
>>
They should've gone for 140 mm rotors instead of 160 mm
>>
>>943926
this

There should be automatic brakes on wheels that force everyone to go 10 km/h so the races are safer.
>>
>>943869
Wow, Americans everyone.
>>
As a mountain biker I have a fair bit of experience with disc brakes, every rotor I've had has had quite sharp edges that could easily slice skin (it doesn't have to be a hard impact). That said I've never cut myself on one either working on them or by crashing.

In my opinion there are more dangerous parts to bikes such as the chainring and chain (get a finger caught between those and it's probably coming off) and spokes (probably not going to remove any fingers but they will be broken) with a higher chance of causing an injury. Also if you're crashing you're going to be hitting the floor, and depending on the speed concrete can do quite a bit of skin removal not to mention the bone shattering impact.

As to whether discs are needed, no of course they're not. They do however bring benefits and that's why I use them, and I feel every other rider should have the option of doing so to. After all it's not just about the competitive advantage but also safety due to the better performance in certain situations.
>>
>>943941
Can confirm. I caught my finger in the drive train of a fixie while it was spinning really fast. It punched straight through the tip of my middle finger. It was one of the most painful things I've ever experienced, and that includes tearing my nose and upper lip open on the hood of a car.
>>
>>943845
I agree with this anon, anons.
>>
>>943845
"I've never gone mountain biking": the post
>>
File: Capture+_2016-04-14-08-23-17.png (2 MB, 1415x1298) Image search: [Google]
Capture+_2016-04-14-08-23-17.png
2 MB, 1415x1298
Can we talk about carbon rotors for a second?
>>
>>943830
XC racing has tight packs, and disc brakes are fine there, roadies are just whiny piss babies.
>>
>>943978
that just defeats the purpose.
>>
>>943984
What purpose and how? Kettle rotors are supposedly very good, better than steel, they're just really expensive.
>>
>>943984
It has almost as much power as a normal rotor, it conducts way less heat, and they are about half the weight of a metal rotor. So how does it defeat the purpose of a brake rotor? Your comment is confusing
>>
>>943986
>>943990
carbon rims delaminate under heat stress. making discs to avoid that just to make your rotors carbon seems like a lost cause.
>>
UCI is the new NASCAR, actively shunning new technology and becoming less and less relevant to the consumer market. At least NASCAR has the excuse of keeping the sport's cost of entry relatively low.
>>
>>943994
Kettle rotors are designed to handle much higher temperatures than steel rotors. They not just made from a cheap sheet of carbon, it's their own custom mix of carbon fibre, silicon carbide, and ceramic.

It's not just about saving weight either (because who really gives a shit about 100g?), they're supposed to be better in pretty much every way.
>>
>>943802
[Citation needed]

Fuck off faggot.
>>
File: 1346227283485.jpg (170 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
1346227283485.jpg
170 KB, 800x600
>>943999
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/uci-suspends-road-disc-brakes-in-races-after-ventoso-injury/
>>
>>943999
Here you go, newfriend.
http://velonews.competitor.com/2016/04/news/roubaix-injury-prompts-uci-to-halt-disc-brake-trial_402497
>>
>>943846
Stopping a bike with a rim brake is totally a plausable idea, but it does not take a genious to know that in a sport mainly focused on going fast it is equally as important as being able to stop in an efficent and controlled fashion. While the latter is possible with both braking systems it is a fact that disc brakes preform better in every way, therefore they are superior.
>>
That guy who got hurt is such a fucking drama queen. I hope he is shunned by the peloton
>>
>>944006
I doubt it, the rider consensus seemed to be that they don't really want them.
>>
Track motorcyclist here.

You're all fucking retarded. I never would have believed I'd see this kind of deep set luddite bullshit until I decided to check on /n/ today. Are more than half of you genuinely advocating banning an improved braking technology for bicycles because it might be sharp?

You're intentionally preventing incremental technological improvement in your sport because of what? You're afraid you might get cut if you end up in a pileup because 50 of you were riding nut to butt? God damn.
>>
>>944029
I assume by track you mean racetrack and not velodrome
>>
>>944031

You assume correctly, though I should have specified.
>>
UCI are faggots trying to shift the focus away from all the motoshit that's happened, this knee-jerk reaction is just to keep up the illusion that they care about rider safety.

Limit the motos and ban the cobble classics because shit like this happens mate.

https://youtu.be/mz_Zhgu1N5k?t=46s
>>
>>944029
>if you end up in a pileup

I'm pretty sure the point is because you don't need to crash to be fucked up by one. Just like that rider who split his leg open on one during standard pack movement.

Your leg rubs against the spokes of another guys back wheel, you've got the equivalent of rug burn or mild road cash.

Your leg rubs against someone disk brake, you've got the equivalent of someone taking a scalpel to your leg.

No crashing needed. I understand a lot of the people here are cat 4 and 3 and don't ride with more experienced riders. But you've got to realize, very experienced (PROs even more so) riders frequently contact each other.

Also realize: road bikes are not motorcycles. On a motorcycle the brakes are put under MUCH MUCH more stress than on a road bike. Poor motorcycle brakes will ovreheat rapidly in a race-situation. Road bike brakes won't overheat unless used very, very poorly on a mountain descent.
Not to mention, a road bike+rider=<100kg. A skilled rider will reach the limit of 0.5g braking force with a simple caliper brake. A disc brake is not needed on a ROAD bike.

Sure on a motorcycle, you've got to have hydraulic disc brakes, you've got 275kg between your legs... a bicycle, simply not.
>>
Since road racing is about going fast and not about braking I can understand that if there's any downside with disc brakes they'll get discarded.

Why get so mad about it? You can still use them when not racing if you feel like that.

Sage for bicycle sport thread
>>
>>944029
Road cycling in a nutshell.
>>
>>944062
>Your leg rubs against someone disk brake, you've got the equivalent of someone taking a scalpel to your leg.
Way to exaggerate mate r8 this b8 8/8
>>944064
>Since road racing is about going fast and not about braking I can understand
You don't actually understand, it's obvious by your lack of understanding that the better your brakes are the faster you will be in a race.
Better modulation and I don't know... less brake fade when your flying down a mountain will allow the best to push themselves that much more and be that much faster.

Polite sage for /asp/ shit
>>
>>944064
Ride more mountains.
>>
>>944070
>less brake fade when your flying down a mountain

That doesn't happen on a bicycle lmfao

>Way to exaggerate mate r8 this b8 8/8

Spotted the guy who has never seen a road bikes disc brakes in person.

How about this, you take a table saw, and instead of a blade you put a thin piece of metal. Now place your shin against it when it's spinning at full speed.

Jesus christ, officially found the guy who is cat 5 or has never been on a bicycle
>>
>>944062
Had the fag scrubbed in a chainring, then we would not have this conversation. People regularily injure and often die on grand tours, yet this one lone occurence means that a legit improvement is going to be banned. Absolutely UCI.

Question this - how many accidents are going to be avoided because efficient brakes are widely used?

And the issue can be 'resolved' by switching to aluminium rotors with ~5mm thickness and beveled edges.
>>
>>944076
>aluminium rotors with ~5mm thickness

Nice a 200g fucking disc brake. Top level riders fucking take out extra bolts in their brake calipers to save .5g. Do you sertiously think that's going to happen?

Also, you do not rub your leg against another riders chainring without crashing, hard. You CAN rub a disc brake without crashing.
>>
File: mario-cipollini.jpg (30 KB, 500x343) Image search: [Google]
mario-cipollini.jpg
30 KB, 500x343
>>944076
>often die on grand tours
>>
>>944077
aluminum has 1/3rd density of steel. 2mm steel rotor can be transformed to 6-5mm aluminum rotor.
>>
File: dumbass.jpg (35 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
dumbass.jpg
35 KB, 500x375
>>944077
>Top level riders fucking take out extra bolts in their brake calipers to save .5g
No, stupid Freds with no sense of self-preservation do that. Top level riders add lead weights to their bike to keep them over the 6.8kg mark, numbnuts.
>>
>>944077
>Top level riders fucking take out extra bolts in their brake calipers to save .5g
No they don't. If they cared about weight that much they wouldn't have bikes well above the weight limit (by more than what putting discs on a bike adds). It wouldn't be too hard at all to get a disc bike down to or even below the limit.
>>
File: disk brake injury.jpg (71 KB, 671x419) Image search: [Google]
disk brake injury.jpg
71 KB, 671x419
>>944029

Why bother posting if you don't even know the story? The reason they have been banned is because someone did get hurt and wrote a big sob story crying about them. Most people don't believe they should be banned.
>>
>>944083
>>944080

angry cat 4s detected lmfao
>>
>>944091
>i was only pretending to be retarded, the post
>>
>>944094
>im trying to btfo someone who literally btfo me just by insinuating he was pretending to be retarded

THE POST.
>>
OP here.
This thread is proof that /n/ can be trolled with literally 0 effort.

Good job.
>>
File: RnQv7.jpg (76 KB, 500x380) Image search: [Google]
RnQv7.jpg
76 KB, 500x380
>>944100
>>
File: yes1408781406657.gif (463 KB, 403x219) Image search: [Google]
yes1408781406657.gif
463 KB, 403x219
>>943802
>BANNED
>A
>N
>N
>E
>D

TAKE THAT giant
>>
kek at these douches

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1JDcW7FYaQ
>>
Holy shit this thread.

I had forgotten how autistic this board is at times.

I'll now go to bed and read the SI brochure.
>>
Why weren't garbon wheels banned?
>>
>>944133
But the newest Giant models do have disc brakes and the team isn't using them.
>>
>>944144
because they don't cut bones, they just break them
>>
Disc brakes are the future, uci need to pull their heads out their arses
>>
>>944029
There's literally zero advantage to having disc brakes on a road race bike. None of the things that make them useful in MTB or many CX races (there are still some where riders prefer cantis, I think) come into play during a road race. Fuck off back to /o/.

>>944060
Don't just limit the fucking motos, ban them entirely, and limit the team cars and camera cars. Use drones and crews for the cameras, for fuck's sake. And make the cunts in the crowd stand back a bit.

The cobbles are shit, I agree, but few people hate the classics, including the riders. The answer here is allowing for the development of road bike suspension systems beyond stuff like the isospeed decouplers.

Most of the riders and teams wanted disc brakes to fuck off, and the UCI only grudgingly agreed to allow them because some of the big companies were leaning so hard on them. This was a very good excuse to dump DBs for good.
>>
>>944088
How is that injury from a disc brake? Is he just claiming it were the disc or is there actual prove?
>>
Will bike manufacturers still make disc brake bikes now that they're no longer welcome in races?
>>
>>944158
Of course. They're still allowed in CX, and it's not like they aren't useful for touring, gravel grinding, etc. It just affects the fred sleds, and I'm sure that there will still be some with discs, they just won't be race legal.
>>
>>944158

Disc brakes aren't going away, even if the UCI throws its toys and bans them in races it will just further emphasise the difference between 'race' and 'endurance' specced bikes.
>>
>>944162
Yeah, gravel grinding endurance races are fun as hell and free from UCI bullshit. I don't even know why road racing still holds any allure aside from the big fucking climbs.
>>
>>944156
>Claims discs have no advantage on road bikes
>Wants suspension on road bikes
You funny guy.
>>
>>944157

Just a claim
>>
>>944075
>Jesus christ, officially found the guy who is cat 5 or has never been on a bicycle
You really love making such outlandish comments guy, nice thinking.

If you think brake fade doesn't happen on carbon wheels going downhill under certain conditions then you're the one that's never ridden hard enough to experience it and you're the one that won't scrub enough speed to handle that next turn.

My joke about your comment was that a disc brake would do more damage than a scalpel not that it would do less... a scalpel is a precision tool that would leave a clean cut with no heat damage.

Kindly stop responding as you know absolutely nothing.

and stop typing like this, /n/ is slow but it doesn't need your filler posts

GOOD DAY, SIR.
>>
>>943854
It's not their non-roundness you retardotron. It's the fack that they're fast spinning thin metal discs. They're like a dull circular saw.
Only fix would be making them really freaking thick at the edges, like 2cm. But that's unfeasible.
>>
>>943860
Fuck you. Why do yo think bar ends have plugs? In a crash the force is enough to cause soft tissue damage.
>>
>>944228
>fast spinning thin metal discs
Except the one that prompted the early retirement of the trial programme wasn't spinning.
>>
>>943802

>UCI being retarded

As a mountain biker this is nothing new to me...
>>
I love how you guys are forgetting about XC MTB races, they're usually 50+ people and usually have a few crashes. When's the last time you heard of a XC racer getting his fingers cut off by a disc rotor?

Maybe "cross racers" and roadies should keep their hands on their handlebars and not up each others asses.

Maybe Shimano didn't touch enough ass or reach around enough when blowing the UCI's dick. Give it another couple years and you'll see discs in the pro paleton. Remember it's all about the money in the end.
>>
even at a mountain biker who knows how awful cable actuated rim brakes feel (worked in a bike shop, pulled em all), I don't think discs are really needed in road riding. Yeah they feel a million times better and the control/modulation is second to none on a hydro system but braking isn't a huge deal for these guys considering the current system works fine. That said if I bought a proper road bike id get disc brakes for sure
>>
>>944260
While I agree that the whole disc controversy is silly, you should consider that in road racing crashing in a dense peloton is much messier than in mountain biking without them.
>>
>>944231
>Fuck you. Why do yo think bar ends have plugs? In a crash the force is enough to cause soft tissue damage.

Paramedic here:
Actually without plug it can cleanly and easily punch a 1 inch hole into your belly.
>>
>>944260
50 isn't very many, and as far as I know, the only time they're really massed at an XC race is at the start.

>>944172
That's because for races on lumpy bumpy shitty surfaces, like the classics, a little bit of travel is nice. That's why the Domane has the isospeed psuedo-suspension.

With road RACING bikes, you don't need the advantages of better performance in severely wet or muddy conditions, you don't need to be able to brake when your wheel is halfway tacoed, and you don't need whatever additional stopping power discs provide, unless you're a total retard who doesn't use the front brake.

For other types of road bikes, disc brakes are useful.
>>
>opinions of people saying rim brakes are adequate
>people who ride aluminum rims
>>
Shimano rollerbrake when?
>>
>>944320
I got caught out in the rain this week, so it was my first time my new carbon wheels got wet.
I knew carbon rim brakes are notoriously weak when wet, but I really wasn't expecting how much braking power I actually lost. I felt like could have stopped quicker if I stuck my shoe sole onto the rear tire. I know there are select pads for wet weather on carbon wheels, but in the future I am riding aluminum wheels for any chance of rain... at least until I win the lottery and can have a rain-allocated hydro disc brake bike with carbon rims.

My opinion right now is that disc brakes will most likely be a lot more powerful in wet weather than carbon rims will ever be.
>>
>>944323
Now try that 10% downhill and diving into corners
>>
>>944323
Don't use Wal-Mart pads.
Don't install pads without toe-in.
Don't be morbidly obese.

Following those simple instructions you won't have any problems in the rain.
>>
>>944330
Won't have any problems, no.
But you have to brake 20 metres before you should have to, so are slower.

Disc brakes really are the future of road cycling.
>>
>>944333
If it's going to be wet out and you didn't switch out to Al rims it's your own damn fault or you should shoot your team mechanic. Same goes if it's hot and there's big descents, which will pose a problem for disc brakes, too.
>>
it would be really cool if you could shot your dethblade disc rotors out like ninja stars and fukken kill dudes while you ride
>>
>>944260
MTB races are usually less dense and, the ones with group, lower speed.

Plus usually they wear full protection where it matters, not just gay spandex.
>>
>>944232
Alright, then that's just because of the weight against such a thin rigid object. Doesn't really matter that much, if it was spinning it would have been nastier.
>>
>>944351
Aren't the ones in the biggest groups XC which also just wears ``gay spandex" ?
>>
>>943846
>The only good solution is a rotor cover, but a good one would cause problems with heat dissipation
Use a cage instead. If it's good enough for an airboat propeller, it's good enough for your little brake discs.
Also this: >>943929
>>
>>944333
>you have to brake 20 metres before you should have to
Stopping distance isn't a matter of braking power, but simply traction. If you're braking using a correct technique, you'll stop at the same time, no matter what brakes you're using.
>>
>>944362
The problem with carbon rims in the wet is that the water has to be scrubbed off before the pad bites. And then it bites like a fucker.

Full carbon wheels just sort of suck and imo should only be used when you really need dat aero profile. And then you have to hope there's no crosswind.
>>
I have to say going from a mtb with fat tyres and disc brakes to skinny tyres and rim brakes was a big change. It's so easy to lock the rear wheel up while trying to brake hard with rims brakes. I don't get much chance to practice braking either since descents are over so quick and climbs take so long. Plus I feel like if I fuck up I will really hurt myself. But I want to go faster. It feels shit braking too soon and slowing down much more than was necessary. I'd definitely prefer having modulation like what I'm used to on the mtb.
>>
>>944355
...well this is an obvious solution
just a little cage that snaps in over the brake

doesn't really fuck with the airflow, it's light, doesn't mess with wheel changes.
>>
>>944370
>wire cage
>wires are even thinner than brake rotor
>theyre also round not flat
Are you trying to cut yourself? That's incredibly dangerous.
>>
>>944371
A little wire fence isn't stiff enough to do more than bruise you. It'll just crumple up and absorb the impact.
>>
>>944372
>crumples up
>does nothing
>going to absorb 100kilos of energy
Nice b8
>>
>>944330
>falling for the toe-in jew
>>
If someone roady needs more powerful brakes, why are manufacturers making shitty mini rotors instead putting v-brakes on road bikes?
i never got it.
>>
>>944386
>implying V-brakes are more powerfull than sidepull
>>
>>944317
>hat's because for races on lumpy bumpy shitty surfaces, like the classics, a little bit of travel is nice. That's why the Domane has the isospeed psuedo-suspension.
Designing a frame and/or fork to have purposeful flex is not suspension, if that's what you're talking about then okay. If you're talking about really suspension then it will add significantly more weight than disc brakes no matter how little travel whilst also adding cost and complexity and reducing the durability of the bike. If you think that's a good idea just for a cobble section then you're dumb, and if the entire race warrants suspension (I don't watch road racing, I'm just going by what was in that video) then the riders are dumb.

As I said above I don't take much notice of road racing, do they not compete when it's raining? Do they wait for the ground to dry if it rains before a race? Do they all. take a break if it rains during a race?
>>
>>944394
>implying they arent
>>
File: super_retard.jpg (28 KB, 499x376) Image search: [Google]
super_retard.jpg
28 KB, 499x376
>>944422
>wat is equivalent leverage
>>
>>943941
>>943963

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JplymlruPZ8 at about 2:30

Thought this was an interesting safety reality check. Yeah, my new road bike has discs, I'm a little biased. It does seem more likely you (I) would get hurt by the same old stuff instead of a disc rotor.
>>
>>944413
>Designing a frame and/or fork to have purposeful flex is not suspension
Exactly what do you think suspension is?

>do they not compete when it's raining?
Nope, they still compete while it's raining or snowing. Paris-Roubaix sometimes turns into a mudfest. So it should tell you something that, despite that, few riders wanted disc brakes. A lot of CX pros, particularly in Europe, are sticking with cantis. If discs give you some kind of magical competitive advantage, even in inclement conditions, you'd expect pro riders to be begging for it. But they aren't.
>>
>>944425
A load of bollocks
>>
>>944446
>Exactly what do you think suspension is?
All frames and forks flex to a certain extent, but they don't have suspension. Suspension implies a significant amount of travel (like multiple inches) with separate parts that move in relation to each other and the system is usually damped and sometimes adjustable in some way.

I looked up that Isospeed thing and it's not what I thought it was (I was thinking of those frames and forks with the rubber inserts in the fork legs and seat stays). I don't see how it's any different from a suspension seatpost or saddle, and those aren't real suspension anyway as they only suspend the riders weight and not the bikes. There's probably a better term for them but for now I'll just call it comfort suspension.

>If discs give you some kind of magical competitive advantage, even in inclement conditions, you'd expect pro riders to be begging for it. But they aren't.
They do give a significant advantage, that's a long determined fact and the reason why every mountain bike uses them. I have no idea why these so called pros don't use them. Perhaps they're also in denial about the advantages, or if they're not sponsored they can't afford the significantly higher cost of switching to discs (which would involve replacing the majority of the parts), or they can't get their favoured frame with disc mounts.
>>
>>944449
> I have no idea why these so called pros don't use them
Maybe because you have no idea about cycling.
>Perhaps they're also in denial about the advantages
Yep, you don't know shit about cycling or the pro environment.
>or if they're not sponsored they can't afford the significantly higher cost of switching to discs
Now you just went full autismo. Pedal to the metal, we're gunning it down retardation highway!

You could read some interviews about this topic and understand why pros don't want them, but since you seem to be deeply mentally challenged I'll explain it to you without using any big boy words:

Since properly set-up brakes of any kind can easily lock your wheels, the only advantage of disc brakes in road cycling is a slightly better modulation, specially in wet conditions. Since rain isn't encountered often in road cycling and disc brakes (especially on road bikes) present a high risk of provoking injuries, the disadvantages outweight the advantages. And we're not even mentioning the aero and weight penalty of such a system, as well as the wheel swap issues.
>>
>>944449

I ride a MTB 99% of the time, but even I don't think they offer *that* much benefit for most road riders.

The only time I would suggest looking into them on road-oriented bikes is if you don't want to fiddle with brakes very often, or if you do a lot of loaded touring/commuting in the rain. Or if you want to look cool, because IMHO they look fuckin sweet on road bikes.

I do think they are kind of a bunch of pussies for banning em though.
>>
>>944449
Dropper posts give an advantage in mountain bikes, but pros aren't begging them for road races.
>>
>>944454
> the only advantage of disc brakes in road cycling is a slightly better modulation, specially in wet conditions.
You mean significantly better modulation, better braking in wet conditions, more consistent braking, less effort required, longer lasting components with lower replacement costs (rotor vs a whole new rim), and less issues with heat (apparently destroying carbon rims, I don't know this is definitely true but I'll chuck it in here anyway).

Discs are better than rims brakes in pretty much every way other than cost and weight. Cost isn't really a concern to sponsored professionals and the weight can easily be compensated for.

>high risk of provoking injuries
As has been covered previously in this thread that's basically bollocks, in a crash the disc is the least of your concerns.

>not even mentioning the aero and weight penalty of such a system, as well as the wheel swap issues.
Weight has been covered. The current aero penalty ranges from something like 2-10% depending on angle iirc (I think it wasn't mentioned earlier in this thread), I don't know how that actually quantifies to energy wasted. However there are ways to make the calipers themselves more aerodynamic, no one's really bothered to try yet. Regarding wheel changes, if you're using your own wheels there are things you can do so that the wheel goes straight in with no need for adjustments.
>>
>>943802

ITT: People who think road bikes don't benefit from disk brakes because they only ride in good conditions or live in some sunny and faggy place like Commiefornia.
>>
>>943847

>look at me, I never ride in rain and can't comprehend why anyone would want discs
>>
>>944062

>A skilled rider will reach the limit of 0.5g braking force with a simple caliper brake

Please re-read the SI brochure.
>>
>>944156

>There's literally zero advantage to having disc brakes on a road race bike.

Please kill yourself.
>>
>>944462
>>944464
>>944465
>>944468
Samefag of the year. You know, hitting

newline as much as

you do isn't good for

your keyboard. If you're going to

write like

this

at leat get a trip

code so you can be

filtered

>and nothing of value was lost
>>
>>943900
>Discs are unsafe
>meanwhile razortooth-sprocket is within inches of fleshy leg meat the entire time you're on the bike and it's alright
>>
>>944485
They needed an excuse to ban disc brakes and now they've got one. Fact don't matter. Just blame disc brakes.

It's sad really. How many bike manufacturers will stop making disc road bikes now? That's what I am worried about. I don't want to be stuck with ancient tech which is inferior. I need proper brakes.
>>
>>944362
You're assuming brakes are always powerful enough to lock the tyres, which is simply not true especially in the wet.
>>
>>944342
>team mechanic
>transportation

Where are all you sporty sport racer guys coming from and why don't you all just stay in sports
>>
>>944562
>why don't you all just stay in sports
Full of football (soccer) morons. And it's not as if you were using this board anyway. I mean, trains...
>>
File: 1459933908181.jpg (45 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
1459933908181.jpg
45 KB, 600x600
>>944562
>not having a team mechanic for your cat 6 commuter team
fucking casual
>>
>>944373
Yeah no shit?
if it crumples it absorbs energy. You're going to get hurt, but not sliced deep.
A disc is dangerous because it's thin and stiff, it's like falling on a knife.

Honestly if racers really want discs, a small cage is the way to go imho. Worst issue is that it can snag on stuff, but that is solved by making it quick-releasing when enough force is applied.
>>
>>944461
>better modulation, better braking in wet conditions, more consistent braking, less effort required, longer lasting components with lower replacement costs
none of these are issues on a racing bike. If they were, racers would be screaming for solutions.

>apparently destroying carbon rims
It can cause clinchers on carbon rims to blow off (and this is an almost unicorn-tier rare issue), but if you're running carbon wheels and don't have tubulars you're doing it incredibly wrong.

Sometimes some of the shitty compounds used on carbon rim brake pads, like Swisstop yellows, can rub off on the rim. The solution is to not use fucking Swisstop yellows.

>>944510
>How many bike manufacturers will stop making disc road bikes now?
Maybe only niche manufacturers like Cipollini. Terk and the rest of the big ones will continue making DB road bikes, including racing bikes for CX or for non-UCI sanctioned events. Are you planning on buying a H1 fit Domane or a disc-equipped NK1K?
>>
>>944576
The cage is even thinner than discs idiot, and once it crumples it will be supported by the disc underneath
>>
>>943922
I'd be lying to you if I told ya that It never crossed my mind to use my chainring as a weapon on anyone that might try bike jacking my supersix when I'm out riding it on the LA river.

That shit can cut you DEEP if used without hesitation. Especially a nicely worn one.
>>
>>944597
I witnessed a crash in person where the chainrings just barely grazed the guy, his knuckles were sliced open as if with a knife.
>>
>>944597
Yeah I jammed the big ring of one of my chainrings into my right calf when my left shoe wouldn't fucking unclip. The unclipping motion of my pedals had the heel going inside, and I realized right then how it was a design mistake. Why the fuck does TIME have to be the only pedal maker who offers lateral float?
>>
>>944601
>crankbrothers
Try it, anon. You'll fall in love.
>>
>>944599
I have some really light scars from where a chainring hit the back of my calve as a boy, I would post a picture but I cant get enough light for it to show up with my shitty camera phone.
>>
File: leg.jpg (289 KB, 1000x1500) Image search: [Google]
leg.jpg
289 KB, 1000x1500
>>944599
>>944609
My left leg caught my big chainring while I was falling off of my mountain bike once, resulting in my only cycling scar. I googled for a "disc brake leg injury" image and the only one I found is a lot worse than this, but this could have been a lot worse in a different crash, because that chainring is fucking sharp. The fall that caused this was a minor, low speed fall. Just a bit of clumsiness around a tricky corner, basically.

It seems like there should be some effort put into figuring out whether or not disc brakes help more than they hurt, rather than just deciding that they're bad because they sometimes hurt. With chainrings, we are obviously sacrificing safety for performance and practicality.
>>
File: fran-ventoso.jpg (105 KB, 880x586) Image search: [Google]
fran-ventoso.jpg
105 KB, 880x586
>>944617
This injury looked a lot worse before I cleaned it up. I wiped away a lot of blood (quite a bit more than in this image of a disc brake injury - those punctures are pretty deep) and plastered it in liquid bandage, which was barely able to stop the bleeding. I now also carry quick clot packets in my mountain biking first aid kit because of this. The combination of quick clot and liquid bandage is more compact and more adaptable than just about any combination of traditional bandages, and I highly recommend it.
>>
>>944620
now that I have seen the pictures I really think the uci has their heads up their asses. He got what like 15 stitches? that is basically nothing, you are racing their should be some risk... do they still not hit 50+ mph on the descents? how about we ban hills because they are dangerous to go down. If anything ban the support vehicles nd really screw everyone, better carry ll your water with you and if your bike breaks during the race no substitutes, you are just fucked.
>>
>>944627
Everyone wants the fucking motos and press cars banned and the UCI are being complete cunts about it and not doing anything. There were several crashes during Paris-Roubaix that were caused by the motocunts.

It would be funny as shit if they got rid of all of that and made rider support only available at checkpoints, except for emergency medical. Get a flat? Fix it yerself or hoof it, cunt!
>>
>>944643
I really cant figure out who is buying off the uci policy makers. The brake makers cant possibly be making so much profit on side pulls that losing those sales to disc brakes would cause, and they can and do make disc brakes too.
>>
People in this thread hating on discs have never used them
>>
>>944681
People in this thread supporting discs in the peloton have never competed in a road race
>>
>>944643
>Get a flat? Fix it yerself or hoof it, cunt!

Back to ye olden days when racers had to wrap spare tubs around their body.

Or do you think they'd swap to clinchers/tubeless?
>>
Facts:

1. Not a single pro asked for disc brakes. Anyone who is into cycling knows this well.

2. Disc brakes don't provide a single advantage on road races.

3. Disc brakes in their current form are unnecesarily dangerous.

4. Literally (and I mean it) every single person who wants disc brakes on road bikes is a fat american with babby hands who can't set up his brakes.

5. If you need disc brakes to "stop safely without hurting my tubby fingers", cycling isn't your thing. You should reconsider switching to other sports like bowling or watching TV.

Sincerely, a concerned LBS owner.
>>
>>944717
>lbs shill
opinion disarded
>>
>>944583
>It can cause clinchers on carbon rims to blow off (and this is an almost unicorn-tier rare issue), but if you're running carbon wheels and don't have tubulars you're doing it incredibly wrong.

Fun anecdote. I switched to disc only about 10 years ago after a rim brake caused a rim explosion on me. Thankfully - rear wheel, so I stopped safely.

The rim was well below wear limit, it was actually fairly new. It also was not after a long climb or what not - just all off a sudden BOOM after like 5 minutes after starting my ride.

I have switched to discs then and never looked back. I shudder to think what could have happend if that occured during a 40mph downhill.
>>
>>944720
>a rim brake caused a rim explosion on me
How do you know it was the rim brake's fault?
I guess that after living through such an incredibly rare event you took some precious pictures, right?
>>
>>944717
>1. Not a single pro asked for disc brakes. Anyone who is into cycling knows this well.

Nobody gives a shit what Pros think. They are advertisement whores that jump for my amusement. Their opinion is as much relevant to my life as of any other whore.

>2. Disc brakes don't provide a single advantage on road races.

Consider: 99.5% of people who ride bikes never race.

>3. Disc brakes in their current form are unnecesarily dangerous.

Disputably, in mass start, peloton based races. I'e in what 99.5% of cyclists never do.

>4. Literally (and I mean it) every single person who wants disc brakes on road bikes is a fat american with babby hands who can't set up his brakes.

Arbiter of truth, tell me more.

>5. If you need disc brakes to "stop safely without hurting my tubby fingers", cycling isn't your thing. You should reconsider switching to other sports like bowling or watching TV.

Arbiter of truth, tell me more.
>>
>>944723
>How do you know it was the rim brake's fault?

I don't. But no other candidates are in the vicinity, and the fracture lines along the rim indicated that a brake pad left a hard edge along the sidewall which acted as a stress riser.

>I guess that after living through such an incredibly rare event you took some precious pictures, right?

10 years ago. You realize that at that time to get a picture you'd need to take an actual camera with you?
>>
>>944725
>10 years ago. You realize that at that time to get a picture you'd need to take an actual camera with you?
So you didn't take the wheel home? You threw it in the trash mid-ride?

You're just full of bullshit.
>>
>>944726
No. I did not consider that 10 years later an autist on an zambian wood carving board is going to demand evidence for that. I don't recall if I even had a camera then.
>>
>>944720
Wow buddy, full carbon clinchers were quite hard to come by 10 years ago. And of course breaking one of those ultra-expensive rims would be something that you would take a picture of, that's a given. But oh well, lying on the internet is free.

By the way, the disc brakes on my road bike just exploded last week. I wasn't riding hard or anything, it just happened. I bought a rim brake bike and I'm now happy.
>>
>>944777
Not him, but where does it say carbon? It is entirely plausible that a damaged or defective rim braketrack could fail with relatively little use.
>>
>>944778
Well, /n/ has a long history of meme'ing "the crabbon esploding wheels XDDD" quite a lot, especially by the poorest posters.
Also, it is extraordinarily rare for a new alloy rim to fail because of some defect on the brake track. I was thinking about the pins/weld failing, but that wouldn't cause the rim to explode, just to crack and very possibly burst the tube.
Anyway, the fact that this poster tries to use an unspecified brand rim failure that he somehow knows was due to the rim brakes (but has no pictures whatsoever) in an argument about rim brakes some 10 years later just proves that he's quite the re-re.

Tl;dr: disc brakes are dead.
>>
>>944784
>Tl;dr: disc brakes are dead.

I should screencap these posts for years down the road when virtually every bike has discs
>>
File: 2FV85.jpg (480 KB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
2FV85.jpg
480 KB, 3264x2448
>>944777
My rim exploded like pic related. About 30cm of the sidewall separated from the bead. The rim was, afair, Vuelta Kronos, about 6 months old at the time of the incident, because my old rear cracked the hub flange. Since old wheel had like 30000km on itsself, i decided to replace it.

I don't really remember the rim model, because I rode cheap shit because poor. Vueltas simply stuck in my mind from that period.

Anyhow, after replacing I rode for 3 months, clocking about 4000km, and then finished uni, moved to a different city and had no opportunity for cycling. The incident itsself happend when I visited my then GF, took the bike out of storage for a spin.

I never said it was a carbon wheel and/or rim.
>>
>>944827
*before the autist complains. No, the pic is not of my wheel. It merely illustrates the failure mode.
>>
>>944823
Most bikes already do, even walmart bikes.
>>
>>944784
Carbon is shit,kid
>>
>>944837
Carbon is glorious, rim brakes are shit.
>>
>>944717

I'm not an overweight burger and I want discs on my road bike because-

1- they look cool
2- I ride in the rain a lot and do light touring at least 3-4 times a year
3- I want to spite you for being a retard
>>
>>944827
>My rim exploded like pic related.
>About 30cm of the sidewall separated from the bead
>I rode cheap shit because poor
That's the textbook example of what happens when you over-inflate a cheap, faulty rim. But of course, you'll blame a piece of hardware like your rim brakes before admitting that the poor rim died thanks to your gigantic retardation.

>>944845
>1- they look cool
If you're 9.
>2- I ride in the rain a lot and do light touring at least 3-4 times a year
If you need disc brakes for touring, you're oficially obese.
>3- I want to spite you for being a retard
The fact that you keep breathing already achieves that.

Daily reminder that literally no pro wants disc brakes.
>>
>>944717
>5. If you need disc brakes to "stop safely without hurting my tubby fingers", cycling isn't your thing. You should reconsider switching to other sports like bowling or watching TV.

Get a load at how hard this guy is projecting.
>>
>>944362
>Stopping distance isn't a matter of braking power, but simply traction. If you're braking using a correct technique, you'll stop at the same time, no matter what brakes you're using.

this is someone who has never ridden in any conditions except for flat dry pavement
>>
>>944888
>this is someone who has never ridden in any conditions except for flat dry pavement
Please enlighten us. How is locking your wheel with disc brakes any different than doing it with rim brakes?
>>
>>944885

>someone who never tours off road, ever.
>>
Everytime there's been a technological improvement in cycling, pro teams have always been the first ones to use it. It's only been later when the amateurs have been able to get their filthy fingers on the shiny new tech.

Now think why disc brakes have been launched first on the amateur market and LATER pushed into the peloton. And then think about why not a single pro asked for them, and why they're actually happy that they're banned. There's two distinct possibilities:

- Disc brakes aren't really needed in road cycling and they present safety issues that haven't been solved.

- There's a conspiracy against disc brakes and all pro riders are in it.
>>
>>944896

I agree that they aren't needed, but the safety thing is a fucking joke.
>>
>>944893
Could you explain how does off road touring affect the peloton?
>>
>>944897
>I agree that they aren't needed
You already answered the question.
Are they needed? No. Therefore, using them adds innecesary risk for the riders.
>>
>>944902

It hardly adds unnecessary risk. Fucktards have way bigger problems that they're ignoring.

>>944898

Can you explain why using disc brakes makes someone obsese?
>>
>>944904
>there are bigger problems, therefore, we should add more problems
>>
>>943901
It was about trains before being about news.
>>
>>944885
>That's the textbook example of what happens when you over-inflate a cheap, faulty rim.

Let's say that you are right. How much do you think i "overinflated" the wheel?
>>
>>944896
>Disc brakes aren't really needed in road cycling

Arbitrary criterion is arbitrary.
>>
>>944896
False dillema much?

Anyhow - the reception in the peloton was mixed. Some riders liked discs, some don't. And considering that road cycling still cannot grow up from several tech issues, it is hardly surprising that this particular sway away from the established "norm" is shunned.
>>
>>943970

Good thing this is a thread about the things getting banned in road races then, you fucking idiot.
>>
Discs aren't needed in road racing. They add an unnecessary hazard with no benefit to pros road racing in conditions which are mostly dry and on pavement.
Discs are great to have on your road bike for training and riding around and you have to ride on slippery roads or in the rain a lot.

Problem is people want to pretend they're Chris Froome so they'll buy what the pros buy. Manufacturers would have to come up with some marketing angle they're probably not capable of to sell new, expensive components.

I doubt a bevel on the rotor would help much, Ventoso's injury was from putting his foot down when the group bunched in a crash and they weren't moving when he put his foot down. It would be like putting a spoon in the ground, and then leaning down on it with your shin with all your weight, it would still injure you.
>>
>>944940
It is slightly more complicated.

Modern road bike is so efficient in its form that not much can be done to make it better. This is good for riders, but bad for business, as people buy a bike, and then either forget it or ride it until it breaks.

Unlike with MTB, you have no suspension to fiddle with, and road geometry is quite stable. Nobody is going to buy a new bike because the head angle is 1 degree less.

Thus the logical way forward is to shake the formula. This is why you see push for through axles ( good ), discs ( goodish ), 1by drivetrains ( bad ) and suspension.

This is why there is a push for discs from large manufacturers. They desperately a road equivalent of XX1 (ie - the next big thing) because the business is becoming stale - there is only so much carbon you can add, so much weight to remove and so many cogs to add - and it seems we reached the limit.
>>
>>944029

The technology had a chance for a trial over several months, and the riders and mechanics were unimpressed with its usefulness in the context of their sport and determined that the cons outweighed the pros.

A track motorcyclist's lay opinion about how the tech's better stats on paper make it an "incremental technological improvement" that should be pursued in the peloton is fucking irrelevant.
>>
>>944940
pros will ride whatever their sponsors push on them. I had a bmx sponsorship when I was younger and although it wasnt a full ride, I did get parts and bikes at cost... guess what I ended up riding on simply for the cost reasons. Now add in the pros have to sign a contract and sell parts as well as preform, guess hat they will be riding on? ding ding ding, correct, whatever the fuck the sponsor wants them to ride. I doubt anyone is old enough or was interested in supercross in the 90's but Jeremy Mcgrath got into shit with honda just for riding a kawisaki jetski which has nothing to do with the sport.
>>
>>944943
>Modern road bike is so efficient in its form that not much can be done to make it better
They could be shaped like Lotus 110s.
>>
>>944953

Right, the sponsors are positioned to heavily influence the choice of tech. Which is why the riders formed an organization that represents their personal interests in front of the UCI instead of that of their sponsors. An organization which chose to push back against implementing the disc brakes, leading to the ending of the trial.

If the sponsors were the only ones calling the shots, shiny new disc brakes would probably be on every single bike in the peloton. They're the hot new product that every manufacturer is trying to push as much as possible.
>>
>>944890
Because in certain, especially wet, conditions you can't lock a damn rim brake.
And certainly not without grabbing a TONNE of brake.
>>
>>944956
>An organization which chose to push back against implementing the disc brakes, leading to the ending of the trial.
No, the sponsors wanted discs out before they could get even more bad press, and fix things before things went from bad to worse. That's why they;re going to be calling for an investigation and examining safety features.
>>
>>943995
Sounds like we need to make a new one then. Theres nothing that says we cant do that
>>
>>944890
You've never ridden in the rain if you don't realize how it may be impossible to lock your brakes in the wet.
>>
>>944845
>1- they look cool
shit taste confirmed
>>
>>944088
The only way a disk brake caused that injury is it was fire broadside out of a cannon at his shin.
>>
The pros all thought electronic shifting wasn't needed either, look how that turned out
>>
>>945145
The pros all thought electronic motors weren't needed either, look how that turned out
>>
>>945145
The difference is that with electronic shifting, the advantage for racing is obvious the second you try it. With discs, you only get a possible advantage in edge cases, like running carbon rims during a biblical deluge. Plus, electronic shifting poses no danger to the riders.

>>944943
Yeah, thru axles need to happen on all bikes. Yes they make wheel changes slightly slower, yes the industry hasn't standardized a QR thru axle design, but who cares because they are so damn beneficial. It's kind of like how the biggest benefit to indexed shifting was that it allowed Shimano and Campy to create integrated controls.

It would be nice to see the UCI allow manufacturers to experiment with shape.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 24

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.