[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Bib shorts: what bib shorts do you wear? Pros and Cons
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /n/ - Transportation

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 5
File: t-uno-s5-blue_3.jpg (57 KB, 621x800) Image search: [Google]
t-uno-s5-blue_3.jpg
57 KB, 621x800
Bib shorts: what bib shorts do you wear? Pros and Cons
>>
pearl izumi elite
>>
>>942973
Why do you use these? Any negatives about these?
>>
>>942968
I get mine off eBay. I've got a few pairs of these ones specifically:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/SHADOW-CYCLING-BIB-SHORTS-jersey-cycle-Padded-tights-coolmax-rowing-triathlon-/180628754598

Pros: cheap
Cons: maybe not as good as super expensive $100+ ones? I dunno, I've never even tried a pair of more expensive ones. I have some dhb ones from Wiggle that were more than these but don't seem any better.
>>
>>942981
Noice, I'll check these out
>>
louis garneau fit sensor 2

+
durable
good chamois
wide leg bands, so no leg hair getting pulled by grippy material

-
somewhat expensive
only black
>>
>>942968
>cons
You have to take off all your gear to take a poop
>buh-but take a shit before you ride
Yes, but sometimes I need to take two number twos in a day and I'm riding all day long. OR I want to shit right after my ride, sit on the toilet and watch youtube videos without dealing with my jersey just yet.
>y'know you can get hemorrhoids that way
Shut up, straw men aren't supposed to present good arguments.
>>
>>942978
comfort + fit
durability
price ($85-$100 when on sale. msrp is $135)
>>
I use normal shorts.
If I have to choose between a band cutting into my stomach and it cutting into both my shoulders and my balls, I'll go with the former.
Also, less material on your body in the summer. Also also, stopping to piss under a tree takes 30 seconds.
>>
I have a pair of nashbar and a pair of louis garneau

They're both kind of garbage, but I go through about 2 pairs a season so fuck buying expensive shit
>>
Voler for nice, made in usa.
Performance/Nashbar for cheap and reliable.

Pearl izumi is why-tier. The Shimano of cycling clothing. So many better alternatives.
>>
>>942973
Middle-of-the-road-MEH-tier. Not bad but not great either.

>>943085
>nashbar and a pair of louis garneau
Sorry to hear you're a poorfag. Maybe the Jiffy Lube down the street will hire you?

>>942968
I'm obligated to wear team kit, which is made by Voler.. and I have ZERO complaints about any of it. This year I have two pair bib shorts, two summer jerseys, one long-sleeve winter jersey, a skinsuit (I have a Cervelo P2 for TT's), and a jacket. All if it is just fine, and I've got a $275 pair of Capo Padrone bib shorts hanging in the closet for comparison; the team kit-issue Voler bib shorts cost less than half of what the Capo Padrone bibs cost, and they're at least as comfortable, for 4+ hours of riding. As a result I'll highly recommend Voler, both for cost and quality. Doesn't have to be custom team kit, you can get their generic, same quality. Keep in mind: Voler is a manufacturer that PRO TEAMS buy their team kit from.
>>
>>943105
>Jiffy Lube
What is that, a popcorn store?
>>
>>943005
>only black
As they should be.
>>
>Castelli Velocissimo
+
durable
fits perfect
chamois at only where needed and no more than necessary
multiple colors

-
kind of expensive
>>
>>943072
Have never had that happen with bibs.

>>943105
Yeah, Voler is nice.

Other brands I've used:

>Assos (s5 generation)
Shittons of padding, outstanding for 8+ hour rides. The Mille is good for 12+. Absurdly expensive unless you get them from their web outlet and total overkill for racing. I haven't tried their current s7 generation at all, but word has it that they're going to shit now that Toni Maier is gone. I should probably get another couple of pairs of s5 bibs from their web outlet.

>Castelli whatevers
I forget the exact model, but they were the cheaper ones, and not so great. Relegated to trainer use.

>Champion System
Like Voler, they make custom stuff for teams. Like Voler, they make good stuff. I like that they use seamless chamois.

>Procorsa McKenzie shorts
I like them. Nice multi-density pad from Elastic Interface.
>>
>>943111

I'd normally agree, but solid black shorts are very uncommon in Italy.
>>
Pic related is my main. Comfy as fuck.
>>
File: Rapha.jpg (186 KB, 960x540) Image search: [Google]
Rapha.jpg
186 KB, 960x540
>>943192
Fug.
>>
cannondale bib shorts ... dakine shorts over them .. jersey up top
>>
I don't wear bibs because when I don't wear them my ass hurts (working as a messenger)

so I just harden my ass by not wearing bibs at all
>>
doesn't matter what fucking brand you wear, they are all overpriced and the same fucking quality. if you are ok with wearing chinkbrands from alibaba then you even save money for your next carbon wheelset
>>
Ones I have:

Sugoi- cheap quality, hard to pee in, part of my team kit
Ornot- look great, works great, no complaints, expensive tho
Voler- found them on sale for cheap. Don't like the graphics but functionally they're ideal
Lululemon- very limited release, not a fan of the gripper elastic on this one. Also hard to pee in. But they look great.
>>
Disclaimer I'm an idiot.
What is so great about bibs to begin with. I've wondered why cyclists don't just have one piece outfits to begin with and be done with it.
>>
>>943429
What piece of the equation are you doubting? Skinsuits are a thing, they're harder to size though because there's less flexibility for your height.
>>
Bibs are a meme. Shorts are far superior. Aero Tech Designs SM010
>>
>>943429
Bibs are fucking stupid. No advantage over shorts and they make it very hard to piss/shit.
>>
>>943455
>taking a shit in the middle of a ride
Shiggity diggity doo senpai
>>
>>943455
>No advantage over shorts

how new?
>>
>>943455
shorts move around
>>
>>943455
>needing to shit during a ride
>not giving yourself a preride enema to flush out them extra grams
having a clean shitter enhances performance more than blood doping
>>
Any bib/shorts recommendations with short inseams? Going on a tour and don't want some nasty tanlines to be honest lads
>>
>>943194
Nice try :)
>>
Is it worth making a separate thread for a jersey question?

Looking at Road Holland (wool/poly blend) and I was curious what you guys think about that type of jersey. I typically ride in nice custom team gear but figure there are some cases where I wouldn't want to bother with my wool base layer or would be commuting/bike partying morning/night when it's cooler. The button pockets on pic related are pretty goofy but their normal jersey has a reasonably normal setup.

tl;dr are wool jerseys a meme?

>>943508
inseam is tricky because the material will ride up a bit depending on how big your quads are. if you're worried a lot about cycling tanlines I would recommend sunblock and alternate sunning opportunities.
>>
>>943516
Yes wool is mostly a meme for hipsters that smell, don't use deodorant and don't wash their clothes and wear their hipster jeans every day for 5 years without washing them once.
>>
>>943516
>the material will ride up a bit depending on how big your quads are
my legs account for 90% of my mass, there is no upriding
>>
>>943516
Wool fucking itches. And don't even start about that merino shit, it does too.
>>
Rapha Pro Team Bibs

++ Comfort
+ Durability
--Price

MAAP Team Bibs
+Fit
+Comfort on shorter rides & racing
+ A E S T H E T I C
- Price

Black Sheep Knicks
++ Fit
++ Comfort
+++ A E S T H E T I C A S F U C K
-Durability
Price wasn't an issue, got them half price.

You get what you pay for, lads.
>>
Im using Castelli Evoluzione

Good fit and comfy. I have no problems on 100-200km rides. I dont use cream. I like the looks too, very neutral.

I also fell of my bike quite violently yesterday, big scratches on upper leg and hip area and it hurts like a bitch, but the shorts were somehow not damaged at all.
>>
>>942968
I wear sweatpants tucked into my knee socks, with a t- shirt and aero tt helmet
>>
>>943537
No you don't.
>>
>>943518
my other bike is a fixie/singlespeed and I'm wearing raw denim right now so it could be up my alley

>>943519
it happens mainly with my non-silicone (fabric) grippers

>>943520
my base layer (and socks I suppose) doesn't itch really
>>
>>943540
I have some vans I use with my platform pedals for hill climbing
>>
File: Ocelot_Good.jpg (51 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
Ocelot_Good.jpg
51 KB, 1280x720
>>943509
You're pretty good.
>>
>>943011
>y'know you can get hemorrhoids that way
What? Please explain. Now I'm scared to use my bibs.
>>
>>943005
>doesnt pull hair
>hairy legs

Well theres your problem you fucking hubbard
>>
>>943601
He means sitting on the toilet watching Youtube videos
>>
>>942968
lol @ all these fucking lycrawearing manlets

kys
>>
>>943606
Lycra feels nice while riding.
>>
>>943606
manlets are faster on average
>>
>>943750
yeah legit i mean

they have less goddamm lungs to refill, less weight to push

ajd don't get me started on hills
>>
>>943791
I'd rather be a manlet than need somebody to get me started on the hills.
Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.