[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/bqg/ Bike Questions general
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /n/ - Transportation

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 34
File: road-bike-size-13183244.jpg (175 KB, 1200x800) Image search: [Google]
road-bike-size-13183244.jpg
175 KB, 1200x800
Starting off with a technique question:
I'm not a natural climber and I've been putting work into my climbing technique lately to try and improve.
when I get to a high enough grade that I have to stand, I try to get into an upright stance with a relaxed body and so i can open my chest and breathe better; It feels like I'm putting too much weight on the bars though as I swerve around a bit when my cadence drops.
Any advice?
>>
There is already a /bqg/ on the front page, faglord
>>
>>941779
>>941780
Learn to link, doofus.
Also, starting a new one because the old one is almost at the post limit.
>>
>>941782
>almost
And yet it can still survive a while after the bump limit, cuntface.

You swerve because you are putting too much weight on the bars to control it with your shit arms. Instead of trying to stand straight up to do your stupid yoga breathing exercise and leaning on the handlebars so you can "relax", you use your muscles instead to keep your upper body from flopping about so you can put power out
>>
>>941789
>use your muscles instead to keep your upper body from flopping about so you can put power out

What does that even mean? I'm already as upright as i can get and there's still too much weight on the bars.

Also:
>Being this much of a sadcunt for no reason
Are you cranky because someone hurt you today anon?
If so, go here:
>>>/adv/
>>
What do you need to change old hydraulic disk brake pads if you already have the correct replacement pads?
>>
>>941997
As far as tools? Nothing but a needle nose pliers can make it easier.

Also, FUCK THIS THREAD AND EVERYONE FUCK OFF
THE OLD THREAD IS NOT AT THE BUMP LIMIT
OP IS ONE OF THE FUCKTARD MORONS FROM /soc/ THAT THINK IT'S TIME TO CREATE A NEW THREAD WHEN OLD ONE IS AT LIKE 80% BUMP LIMIT

OP DESERVES TO BE KILLED IRL
FUCK OP
HANG OP
KILL OP
OP IS THE BIGGEST FAGGOT ON THE INTERNET
>>
>>941997
You just pull the pin/bolt that keeps the pads in place in the caliper, slide the old pads out, put the new ones in, and put the pin/bolt back in place. Adjust the brake caliper position if necessary, that's it!

>>941774
>>941790
When you stand out of the saddle to climb/sprint you naturally shift a lot of your weight to the bars - this is normal and will become comfortable once you've developed some strength. When anon talks about 'flopping about' he's referring to your core strength - the muscles of your abdomen are critical to riding out of the saddle, you need a solid 'bridge' to connect the efforts of your arms and legs and maintain a position relative to the bike when you don't have the saddle directly supporting/guiding your weight.

To your first questions, you'll have fewer problems with 'swerving' when you ride out of the saddle as you build core strength, most of which will come as you ride more, but you can develop that strength even faster doing basic calisthenic exercises off the bike (just google 'cycling core exercises' for details and guides).
>>
Has anyone tried SPD sandals before? How are they comfort wise? Can you ride in them for a couple of hours? I'm thinking about getting some for my indoor bike so I don't have to go through socks.
>>
>>941774
>Any advice?
Yes.
1. If you're trying to improve your cycling-specific strength, don't get out of the saddle when climbing hills.
2. For now, don't let your cadence drop below 70rpm when climbing. If necessary pick easier hills.
2a. I'd recommend the 'F1' workout from Cyclists Training Bible: Pick a route for your climbing ride that has hills of 6% grade or less that take up to 3 minutes to climb, and keep your cadence at or above 70rpm (this means you may keep it *at* 70rpm, but if you have to go to an easier gear to get up the hill, then that's what you should do). Don't let yourself go anaerobic when climbing, but don't sandbag up them either. Do this ride no more than 2 times a week, and don't make it a long ride. Between warmup, climbing, and cooldown/riding home, don't take more than 2 hours total. You may do hill repeats so long as it fits all the above conditions. Do this for a few weeks, then take a week where you don't do any hard climbing so you recover, supercompensate, and come back the following week feeling stronger.
>>
>>941774
My back is kind of sore when I ride. Not too bad but I feel a bit hunched over and it's uncomfortable and causes a dull pain in my back on one side if I breath deeply. My back isn't straight like the chinks in the picture. Do you reckon a longer stem would help me stretch out a bit more? My seat is already all the way back. I don't know if it could even make it more uncomfortable, because with the bar further away I wouldn't be able to sit up straight with my hands in the middle of the bar - but that's something I should be avoiding anyway if I wanna be fast, right.
>>
>>942002
Do you yell and scream and get spit all over your monitor when you make posts like that, or do you just pound on the desk and keyboard in frustration?
>autism
>>
>>942018
1. You need your bike fit adjusted by someone who knows what they're doing.
2. Stop being a racist punk.
>>
>>942015
comfy as fug mate just make sure you get some ventilation going down there
>>
What tools/equipment would you absolutely need to have on you for any ride longer than a quick grocery store hop? Multitool, hex wrench(es), tyre levers, spare tubes, patch kit?
>>
>>942026
Multitool
Spare tube
Patch kit
Tire levers
CO2 cartridges or a pump
Cash
ID
Your phone
>>
>>942029
Thanks. How fancy a multitool are we talking? Pliers, flat/phillips screwdrivers, knife?
>>
>>942032
How much do you want to spend, and how much do you want to carry, and what do you think you'll really need? That's how you decide.
>>
>>942032
Maybe a chainbreaker in case your (kmc) chain breaks
>>
>>942029
>Being this afraid of having something go wrong
I dont see why I should buy all that shit when I could just bring my phone and have my buddy pick me up with his bike rack (if I couldnt walk the bike home)
>>
>>942035
>Not caring if your ride is ruined/ended early when it was something that takes 5 minutes to fix otherwise
>Not being adequately prepared
>Imposing on people to bail your ass out all the time
>Riding such short distances that people are willing to bail your ass out when you can't fix a goddamned flat
Hey guys I found the filthy casual of the thread!
>>
>>942035
>(if I couldnt walk the bike home)
Yep, filthy casual detected. Do you even ride?
>>
>>942020
I'm not paying $400 for some one to stick a measuring tape up my ass.
>>
>>942040
Well then enjoy your chronic pain and repetitive motion injuries. All because you won't spend $150 getting a decent bike fitting done.
>you can lead a horse to water but you can't make 'em drink
>>
>>942029
> bringing a spare tube AND a patch kit
>>
>>942026
Here's the basic list of what you should carry (excluding personal stuff like water, energy bars, money, keys, phone, etc which isn't bike specific):
>bike lock+key (second lock if leaving bike unattended for a long time)
>lights if riding at night (spare lights/batteries if doing a long night ride)
>multitool (should include various sizes hex keys as well as a chain breaker and phillips screwdriver; also torx driver if your bike has torx bolts)
>portable pump and/or CO2 (and the knowledge to use it; some portable pumps are shit and don't work, so test it first)
>3 plastic tire levers (more if doing a very long ride, i.e. multi-day, in case you break some)
>spare tubes (ideally at least two, you could run through something that gives two flats at once; I always carry at least 3)
>adjustable wrench IF your bike requires wrenches for certain adjustments (especially common on old bikes, wheels don't have quick release so if you get a flat and have to remove your wheel, you need a wrench; brakes will also sometimes need a wrench to adjust especially on old bikes)
That is the bare minimum. Other stuff I like to carry:
>patch kit (not a substitute for tubes because it won't fix a major blowout, but still a good backup repair option or for minor punctures)
>tire boots
>master links (you can fix a chain without them, but it's better to have them and they're small and light)
>spare rim strip(s) (if your rim strip breaks you're fucked cause spokes will puncture your tube constantly without one)
>plastic zip ties (just in case something breaks and you need to secure it from flopping around or whatever)

>>942032
Get a bike specific multitool. I strongly recommend the Crank Bros M17 or M19.
A standard non-bike multitool (the kind with pliers, knife, etc) might be a good idea when touring but not really other than that, and it lacks the hex keys and chain breaker that are the main reasons to carry a multitool.
>>
File: faggot.jpg (30 KB, 367x451) Image search: [Google]
faggot.jpg
30 KB, 367x451
>>942035
Either a troll or the biggest faggot on /n/.
>>942042
Replacement tubes are necessary in the event of major damage such as blowouts. Patches are convenient for smaller punctures because patching a tube doesn't always require removing the wheel from the bike or taking the tire all the way off, and are also useful if you run out of spare tubes and get another flat (however unlikely that may be, a patch kit is very small and very light so imo it's worth it).
>>
>>942029
>ID
Literally why?
>>
>>942045

literally never got a flat that wasn't a pinch flat

I rode around with some hex keys for a while but I would hate to carry all that stuff around,
>>
>>942029

I get by with spare tubes, tyre levers, a pump, and water. I've never run into any problem that I'd need a multi tool for that couldn't be hand-wrenched or wait until I got home.
>>
>>942044

how the hell do you carry all that shit
no saddlebag is that big
>>
>>942047
to identify your carcass when you get hit by a cage
>>
File: 16812[1].jpg (189 KB, 800x453) Image search: [Google]
16812[1].jpg
189 KB, 800x453
>>942015
Why not get some monstrosities like pic related?
>>
>>942059

I wear a running variety of these all the time. They're amazing.
>>
I had to go through some deep ass rain water puddle to get to a meeting (26", think of midsoles getting in the water to push the pedal), and afterwards the front wheel started creaking a little bit. Checked the joints, everything seems in order, so the only thing that came to mind is that water got through the dustcap and fucked shit up, but the wheel isn't wobbly, it's as tight as when I first tuned it. Rims are simple, classic style, only the rear one is brand new, albeit I overhauled both months ago anyway.
>>
>>942042
>>942045
The first time you have more than one puncture during a ride is the last time you fail to spend $3 on a patch kit and carry it with you in addition to a spare tube, and yes it's happened to me at least once, and yes it was in the middle of nowhere and no there was no cellphone service so it's not like I could have called anyone.
>>
>>942029
>>942034
>>942044
Thanks!
>>
>>942047
So you leave the house, ever, without your wallet, or at least your ID and some cash or an ATM card? Really? What sort of man are you?
>>
>>942047
To get a midday beer?
>>
>>942079
In this day and age, if you get stopped by a cop and you don't have ID, the rest of your day will probably be shot while they sit your ass down and try to figure out if you're who you say you are. And, as someone else pointed out, if you get hit by a car or crash and are unconscious, it's probably a good idea if the paramedics (or whoever finds you) has some idea who you are.
>>
File: multitool-bike-300-orange[1].jpg (22 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
multitool-bike-300-orange[1].jpg
22 KB, 800x800
>>942029
>>942044
Is this babby's first multitool worth it?
>>
>>942080
The bracelet IDs are better for crashes plus you can put medical information on them.
'round these parts you can just ask the cop for a piece of paper and fill your info out for them and they have to consider it legal non-photo ID.

Work the system, know your rights brothers.
>>
>>942051
I'll laugh when you get a blowout.
>>942054
I'll laugh when you get a broken chain.
>>942056
The tools are small, they can easily fit in a saddlebag if that's your preferred means of carrying tools (aside from portable pump, which roadies generally mount on their frame, and lock which roadies don't carry with). Then again, this thread is not purely for roadies and the poster who asked did not identify himself as a roadie, and considering roadies are the only ones who rely on a saddlebag to carry their tools...
>what is a backpack
>what are panniers
>why are you a shitposter
>>942069
You sure it's the wheel and not the bottom bracket? If it is the wheel it could be the hub especially if it happened after riding through water, or else if it's more squeaky than creaky it could be dirt/grime on the brake pads.
>>942078
>So you leave the house, ever, without your wallet, or at least your ID and some cash or an ATM card? Really?
Yes, quite often. I carry ID if I might need it (so mostly if I'm driving). I carry money and/or debit card if I'm likely to need it. Otherwise why the fuck would I?
>What sort of man are you?
A man that doesn't see any purpose to carry an ID that I have 0% chance of using.
>>942079
>drinking alcohol
Filthy degenerate.
>>942080
>In this day and age, if you get stopped by a cop and you don't have ID, the rest of your day will probably be shot while they sit your ass down and try to figure out if you're who you say you are
Yeah, so it's a good idea to have an ID with while driving a death cage. Not while riding a bike.
>And, as someone else pointed out, if you get hit by a car or crash and are unconscious, it's probably a good idea if the paramedics (or whoever finds you) has some idea who you are.
Doctors swear an oath to protect life no matter what. If I am hit by a death cage or crash and am unconscious, the doctors are going to do all that they can to help me whether or not I have an ID on me.
>>
>>942085
>no chain breaker
Nope.
>>942087
And if they don't have probable cause to detain/arrest you (which they won't if you're just out for a bike ride) then you can just tell them to fuck off and keep riding your bike.
>>
Best way to carry a lock on a road bike without a backpack? I want to have and eat my cake.
>>
>>942088
>Doctors swear an oath to protect life no matter what. If I am hit by a death cage or crash and am unconscious, the doctors are going to do all that they can to help me whether or not I have an ID on me.
I know its a case of "pack-your-fears", but if I'm laid-up in triage I would like to know my family knows where I am. If I'm dead, I would like my family to know that I'm dead.
Even if I had a RoadID I would probably be taking my whole wallet.
>>
>>942087
Why should I even bother with that when I can just bring my wallet with me and have everything I need?

>>942088
Why would you NOT carry your wallet with you? Do you not have a seat bag on your bike?
It costs you NOTHING to carry your wallet, and it could be useful in any number of ways. Really, you're not making any sense.

If you crash emergency personnel would like to try contacting people who know you. Hard to do when you're just John Doe because you have no ID on you and are unconscious. Again: Costs you NOTHING to carry your wallet, or at least your driver's license or other photo ID, and everything in your wallet could be very useful while you're out for hours. Why are you being difficult about this?
>>
>>942093
>I know its a case of "pack-your-fears"
Not really. I'm pretty sure there's one guy in this thread who is just being difficult for some reason. It's perfectly reasonable to take your wallet with you on a ride, especially a long ride, or at least carry a photo ID and your ATM card or some cash. If nothing else it's nice to be able to stop at a convenience store at Mile 50 for a drink or a snack. I don't know about anyone else here, but I plan on being as self-sufficient as possible when I'm on the bike.
>>
>>942090
Frame mount. Or u-lock or foldy lock in jersey pocket, but if it's a jersey you really care about I'd be concerned about it stretching or ripping eventually.
>>942093
They'll find out either way.
>>942094
>Why would you NOT carry your wallet with you?
Because I don't have a need for it. On my long rides (I do up to 300km rides) I generally take it with, but on short rides it seems pretty pointless, and even on long rides I'd be find going without it.
>Do you not have a seat bag on your bike?
The correct term is saddle bag. I have a saddle bag on my carbon road bike. I do not have a saddle bag on any of my other 3 bikes because when I ride those bikes I use a backpack or panniers instead.
>It costs you NOTHING to carry your wallet, and it could be useful in any number of ways.
In some cases yes. In other cases it's just an extra thing to take with that I am certain I won't have a need for.
>If you crash emergency personnel would like to try contacting people who know you
I'd rather they focus their efforts on trying to save my life.
>>942096
>I don't know about anyone else here, but I plan on being as self-sufficient as possible when I'm on the bike.
If you are truly self-sufficient you won't rely on a wallet. Sure, it might make sense to bring it anyway since there's minimal downside to doing so, but if you are indeed self-sufficient, then bringing a wallet shouldn't be a big deal or a high priority. That is, if for some reason you have to ride without it, that shouldn't bother you in the slightest. Personally, I sometimes take my wallet with, but sometimes I don't. Depends if I expect there to be a reasonable chance that I'll have a use for it.
>>
>>942094
>>Why would you NOT carry your wallet with you?

Why would you willingly carry extra grams?
Why would you need it? Carry a cash note or a card to swipe.
My bike bags are full (spare tube, tyre leavers and food).
>>
>>942112
>serious cyclist
>backpack
>doesn't carry wallet when he goes out to commute and do stuff on utility bike because too short not carbon 300k road bike
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (125 KB, 800x470) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.jpg
125 KB, 800x470
In reply to >>942115

When cracks do form due to worn down rims, the cracks run in the same direction as the rim
You can tell that your rim braking surface is getting worn when it becomes concave.
Replacing wheels/rims due to worn out brake tracks is a fact of high-milage and wet weather riding, but keeping the brakes and rims clean prevents accelerated wear.
>>
>>942120
I checked mine (as good as I could without taking the tyres off because I need to be ready to go soon and because those are marathon pluses and I don't feel like struggling like a bitch for hours to get them on) and the front seems to be OK and the back only worn slightly. Will make sure tomorrow on my weekly clean+tune up.

Thanks mate.
>>
>>942094
I was just writing to let others know, not many have heard of being able to give info like this to police. I'm not even a gramsfag

I ride with a fanny pack everywhere because I'm a faggot and I like to hide the stuff I'm carrying aka lubricant for anal sex and condoms.

jk ilu
>>
>>942018
3 Questions:
1. Is your seat level?
2. Why do you feel the need to have the seat slammed way back, you over 6' tall?
3. Do you have terrible hamstring mobility? (Can't touch your toes without warming up?

If you could post a pic of your fit from the side it would be incredibly helpful, but answering the questions would be a good start at the least.

>>942087
This desu senpais, I've forgotten my ID while driving and just asked them to write down my info on their notepad and they checked it in their car computer system and let me be on my way when they discovered I have no priors, warrants etc and was driving a roadworthy vehicle
>Inb4 "Hurr durr cager" autism

>>942088
Blowouts are the worst mang, Although if your country is based and has plastic money you can fold it over a few times and stuff it in between the fresh tube and where the tyre blew out in a pinch.
Got me home when i was about 50 km out from my house.
I guess paper money *might* do the trick too if you fold it enough times too.

>>942090
Apart from a frame bracket, you could wear one of pic related around your waist anon. Keks could be had!

>>942113
>Why would you willingly carry extra grams?
Toppest of keks to you and your family on this fine day anon. Are you so elite a cyclist that you can honestly say you can't lose any more bodyweight and that the only other avenue besides having a super stiff, light, aero bike is losing trivial accesories like 100 grams worth of wallet and cash?
If so, pls link your strava page and a photo of all of your KOM and yellow jerseys.

>>942120
Another way to check on some rims is they they'll have a wear indicator dimple or something similar, if not you can place a straight edge on the rim and see if the rim is concave and light comes in between the rim and straightedge.
Preventative measures such as using softer pads (BBB techstop are noice IME) and cleaning your rims and pads after wet rides helps avoid grit and silica particles from embedding into your pads.
>>
>>942129
1. Yes
2. I'm 180cm. I don't know
3. I can touch my toes easy enough most days
>>
Leaving it here If the next OP is interested in it.

Bike Questions General - /bqg/

>General info
http://sheldonbrown.com/
>Mechanic guides
http://www.parktool.com/
https://www.youtube.com/user/parktoolcompany
https://www.youtube.com/rjthebikeguy
>Building a frame
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqQaFLkweCgviyj_E0VEy9Q

If you want help to buy a bicycle go to the /bbg/ - Bike Buying General

Previous Thread: >>937760
>>
>>942131
I know some people who have a hunched lower back because of genuine muscular or spinal issues but it's more likely to be your fit, or that your bike has a top tube that's too short for your upper body and arm length, do you feel like your shoulders are rolled back and that you get tightness in your upper back and your back of neck?

Assuming your saddle and stem height are already good, a longer stem would probably be a good bet if the bike is too short for you, what are you running now for a frame and stem size?
>>
File: IMG_20160409_144952084.jpg (4 MB, 5344x2704) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160409_144952084.jpg
4 MB, 5344x2704
Pic related.
When is a tyre due to be replaced?

I believe these tyres are about 4 years old and are showing this cracking most of the way around the rim.
Replace them?
>>
>>942168
That's an unusual place for a tire to develop a split - I would replace them ASAP because there's likely something wrong with the casing underneath.
>>
>>942117
>>serious cyclist
Yes, I am a serious cyclist. What's your point?
>>backpack
Yes, I sometimes ride with a backpack. What's your point?
>>doesn't carry wallet when he goes out to commute and do stuff on utility bike
I do carry a wallet when I commute. I don't always carry a wallet when I ride for the sake of riding. My bikes are not "utility bikes". One is an enduro bike, one is a randonneuring rig, one is a steel OTS. I do commute by bike but none of my bikes is exclusively a commuter bike or a "utility bike". I use all of my bikes to ride for the sake of riding, and I also use both my randonneuring bike and my OTS to commute.
>too short not carbon 300k road bike
If I am understanding you correctly, you mean to imply that I use my carbon road bike for my long rides and my other bikes for short rides. You are wrong again. I used my randonneuring bike for my longest ride (which was a bit over 300km) and I generally use that bike for my long (150km-300km) rides.
>>
>>942168
Sidewall an coloured rubber dry out and develops cracks quicker. Doesn't mean there has to be anything wrong with the tyre, even if it looks like shit.

It the tread rubber is still soft and sticky and doesn't feel dry, don't worry about it. If it's dried out or you can't stand the way the sides look, buy new tyres.
>>
>>942168
Definitely replace those tyres before you have a blowout at speed anon.
Get yourself some continentals m8 if you can afford them, they're super noice and last a few thousand km with little trouble.
>>
>>942186
Rubber is not a structural component in a tyre dude. The cord is. Nothing in that pic implies cord damage.
>>
Is the muddyfox a decent brand ? I'm tired of searching for parts for my oldtimer Puch bike...
>>
File: facepalm.jpg (25 KB, 920x606) Image search: [Google]
facepalm.jpg
25 KB, 920x606
>>942185
>you can't stand the way the sides look, buy new tyres.
>be wasteful because MUH FEELS says it doesn't look as cute as I want it to look
Fuck off
>>
>>942192
>not wanting your bike to look cute

fuckin' NEET slob
>>
>>942200
>look cute
That's what my gf is for.
>>
How does one make sure to not look like a Fred?
>>
>>942215
Don't use equipment (such as bicycle and clothing) that is significantly beyond your riding level.
>>
Don't wear a full pro team kit

What is it with fat roadies and team SKY?
>>
>>942168
Shit looks like it've been standing flat in a basement some time.
>>
>>942257
In garage for a long time. But I got a flat today, stopped quickly but I reckon that's when it all split.

Anyway, have ordered a new set, same Rubino Pros in 23 but a newer version, and no coloured sidewalls.
I'm in a position where I can happily spend $50 for the sake of my confidence.
>>
>>942269
Should have bought wider tires
>>
>>942220
What kind of bikes are considered for experienced riders only? Does that mean certain brands, or what?
>>
>>942288

It's less about brands(although still related) and more about the cost of your gear.

If you're a beginner, don't jump out there and buy a 6000 dollar full carbon fiber road bike with electronic shifting. It's a waste of money because someone just starting out won't see even a fraction of a second's improvement over an older used bike, and maintenance on high end shit is insanely expensive. Enjoy paying $150 for that dura-ace cassette.

When you see someone puffing along at 13mph on a Colnago C60 it just screams insecurity.
>>
>>942289
> It's a waste of money because someone just starting out won't see even a fraction of a second's improvement over an older used bike, and maintenance on high end shit is insanely expensive.
Completely false. A more expensive bike will save you many seconds from being lighter and more aero. In fact, over a given distance, the slower you are, the more seconds you save.
>>
File: 1457524241167.jpg (117 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1457524241167.jpg
117 KB, 1280x720
>>942290
>>
File: 1456493752250.png (285 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1456493752250.png
285 KB, 1280x720
>>942293
no u
>>
>>942112
You're so hilariously dumb that I don't even need to respond to anything you're saying, you just keep digging yourself in deeper and deeper all by yourself, without any prompting.
>>
>>942123
Here's a little advice for you: 99 times out of 100, not being difficult in any way shape or form for law enforcement types will make your life easier. Most people over the age of 18 have either a drivers license or a state-issued photo ID card anyway; it makes ZERO sense to not carry it with you, and being able to present it to a cop gives him one less excuse to be an asshole to you. Even if you HATE cops, the best way to get over on them is to NOT give them reasons to hassle you. Trying to present some handwritten 'identification' is just going to annoy them and make them look for reasons to make your life difficult.
>>
>>942293
Keep telling yourself that poorfag. The difference might be small and marginal, but it exists. But you keep wanting to justify why you can only afford a shitty old 10 speed. It's only a fraction of a second. I'm not good enough for it to make a difference. Sure buddy. The real reason is you're poor.
>>
>>942312

stay slow freddy boo
>>
>>942283
I prefer 23s. Personal preference trumps random peoples' opinions on the internet.
If I was concerned about fractional rolling resistance I wouldn't go for what is essentially a mid-tier tyre.

>>942290
Who is this brand new cyclist supposed to be racing?
I know the guy you were replying to is wrong, but still, saving a few seconds only matters in a race.
>>
>>942322
>Who is this brand new cyclist supposed to be racing?
No one.

>I know the guy you were replying to is wrong, but still, saving a few seconds only matters in a race.
I didn't say it mattered, I only point out the sad fact that poor slow people have to fabricate complete lies and disinformation to make them feel better about themselves.
>>
FUCKING SHIMANO EF-60 8 SPEED
I'm getting real tired of the entire derailleur/shifter/brake entry level shit I'm stuck with. Front is Altus, rear is Alivio.

I cracked open the front shifter and some tiny ass spring wrapped around a ratchet pusher is out of whack and I spent an hour trying to pull it back into place. No dice.

Are all index trigger shifters as annoying as this? By that I mean lots of plastic housing/pieces, complex design with a lot of small parts. It's too hilly where I live to make it SS.
>>
>>942339
You're too poor to just buy a shifter for $20?
>>
>>942339

Shoulda bought SRAM, poor friend!
>>
>>942339
Get SRAM next time
>>
>>942301
>can't even argue against any of the post
lol
Do you only disagree with my positions regarding carrying an ID/wallet, or do you have a problem with something else I posted too? Either way, you're probably a fred.
>>
>>942303
No no, stop being a poopyhead pls...
This was just advice for if you lose your wallet or get it stolen, it's a piece of plastic I carry around with me at all times because I'm paranoid about that stuff which is why I said I'm not a gramsfag which implied I carried it at all times. If I'm autistic enough to carry lube and the such, I'm certainly going to keep my papers in order.
The majority of my family are LEOs and prefer interacting with people that are informed on what to do instead of the guys that always go "AM I BEING DETAINED?!" even though it might "annoy" them it's still the law they have to enforce and if they don't know it is then you should avoid further interaction and complication. I'm glad to live in a place where I've never been hassled by cops or feel scared of them in anyway sucks for you though, being so afraid of "annoying" someone because of what they might do to you.
I pray for your anus, now you should pray for mine since I'm going to ride to my boyfriend's house and ride him like I do my OTwelveS.
>>
>>942047
Required by law for an adult cyclist to carry photo ID on them in New South Wales, Australia
>>
I've only ridden mountain bikes before, realized that I have no idea wtf I'm doing here.

Picked up an older 2009 road bike for (very) light touring. Any idea on how hard it would be to put butterfly/trekking bars on it and maybe raise them a little? I'm trying to figure out what (if any) flat bar shifters are compatible with the ultegra components on it right now. If the trekking bars are a no-go, I'll probably see about raising them a little at least.
>>
>>942385
it's probably more trouble than it's worth - you'd need to find new brake levers (avoiding flat levers designed for V-brakes or disc brakes) and shifters (compatability is easy for Shimano - all shifters designed to push the same number of clicks are compatible with three exceptional systems: Dynasis, 8-speed Dura Ace, and triple crankset shifters which come in road or mountain versions), plus probably a new stem and changing up your fit on the bike considerably. I wouldn't bother unless you've tried riding with drop bars (which are phenomenally comfortable when setup correctly) for a considerable period and can't get used to them.
>>
>>941781
>front page
>not "catalog"

Go back to redit shit hole.
>>
>>942389

Sounds like I'll be keeping the same handle bars then. From what I'm reading I'd have to fiddle with some kind of pulley/lever system to get my older MTB brake levers to work.

I've got some back problems that make drop bars less than ideal, but raising them and putting a longer stem on should help quite a bit.
>>
>>942361
..OK, fair enough. But if I 'lose' my ID or anything else out of my wallet, then I figure I've got bigger problems than worrying about the local LEOs hassling me. FWIW I know what my drivers license number and SSN are, but seems to me like these days cops are a lot twitchier about things than they used to be -- perhaps with good reason. Your take on that? Since you say you have police in the family?
>>
>>942358
You're sperging out all over the thread and writing in a tone that makes you sound like you consider yourself to be an authority figure whose words should be heeded, which just makes you all the more hilarious because you're kind of out in left field.

>Either way, you're probably a fred.
..aaaaaaaaand so the name-calling begins, ending any possibility of you being taken seriously by anyone, for any reason. Really, honestly, you should stop posting in this thread now, it's pointless.
>>
>>942393
>being a catalog newfag
Once upon a time there wasn't a catalog.
>>
>>942424
>You're sperging out all over the thread and writing in a tone that makes you sound like you consider yourself to be an authority figure whose words should be heeded, which just makes you all the more hilarious because you're kind of out in left field.
Rather the opposite actually. It's others claiming that everyone should always no matter what carry their wallet with them when going for a bike ride. I have only stated that doing so is not always necessary or worthwhile, that it can sometimes be useful and is at other times pointless. Of everyone in this debate, I am the LEAST like what you described.
>>942385
The only potentially hard part is finding shifters compatible with your derailleurs and crankset/cassette. Everything else will be easy. Getting compatible shifters can be an issue because it's not as simple as "10 speed rear, 2 speed front" or whatever. There's cog pitch/cable pull/pull ratio to factor in as well.
>>
>>942288

There's absolutely nothing wrong with just getting the best bike you can (reasonably) afford. If it happens to be a 6k bike, that's pretty sweet IMHO.

There's just a lot of jackasses who don't like the fact that other people might have more disposable income than they do.
>>
>>942288
No it just means don't spend $10,000 on a bike if you're only going to ride 50 kilometers a month.
>>
What's the upper limit of cross bikes capability for MTB-style usage on singletrack-type trails?
>>
>>942345
No but I would like some shifters that don't have as many moving parts or at least a simpler build. I'd rather not have a repeat of this.
Plus my rear brake lever is borked so separate levers/shifters would be a nice upgrade. It's a 5yr old entry mtn bike and I'm constantly on the fence between fix it to bare minimum, upgrade it, or buy/build a new bike. Craigslist has squat for decent older bikes I could fix up. My commute bike is my play bike and it broke this morning right before I was going to go off on a nice ride before it rains all week again.
All my derailleur screws are corroding and stripped too, I love it. It's never easy.
>>
>>942452
Anything short of freeride if you don't suck.
>>
>>942458

I pretty much always end up ditching my old bikes once new components end up being like 60-70% of an entirely new one.
>>
>>942450
Exactly, after a certain point it's just bling if you can't take advantage of it. There's a reason they call cycling the new golf.
>>
>>942017

That whole wall of text can be compressed as:

>to get better at riding hills, train hills

and generalized as

>to get better at $x, train $x

In other words, basic training principles for any sport.

If any of you had read even one article about any training of any kind, these kinds of posts would be totally unnecessary.
>>
>>942047

literally most retarded question ever
>>
>>942339

What exactly did you expect from shit tier components?
>>
>>942339
>Are all index trigger shifters as annoying as this? By that I mean lots of plastic housing/pieces, complex design with a lot of small parts.
Yes. And the more expensive they are, the smaller the parts and the more complex the design get.
>>
>>942495
And the better made and more reliable
>>
File: IMG_0633.jpg (2 MB, 3000x2250) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0633.jpg
2 MB, 3000x2250
Is there a guide for when I want to clean my bike as good as new with taking apart everything, oiling stuff and putting fat on stuff? I'm especially unsure on how to fix the pedal thing inside. There's a special tool needed.
But also the holders for the brakes. I'd like them to lay in some sort of liquid so they get all smooth again

Picture related is the bike I want to do it on.
>>
>>942410
>fiddle with some kind of pulley/lever system
They only make those if you're trying to use road/short-pull levers with linear-pull/long-pull brakes.
http://problemsolversbike.com/products/travel_agents/
>>
>>942511
For the time being I'd pay a shop for an overhaul, and then start reading up on how bikes work in the meantime. Head on over to sheldonbrown.com or just start throwing search terms into a search engine and see what comes up. You'll want an understanding of how this stuff works, rather than just some step-by-step guide. There's also some bike repair book that's popular. In fact, just put 'bike repair book' into google and see what comes up.

By the way, what the heck are those little teeth things on the chainring? Were they part of a plastic chainguard that broke?
>>
>>942518
Thanks. Also yes
>>
I'm buying a specialized secteur from family out of state. The only issue he's told me about is it has a triple derailleur up front but only two front gears. Would it be better to replace the front derailleur or add a third gear?
>>
>>942529

Replace the front derailleur. You should also find out if it has a triple or double front shifter, that would be more of an inconvenience.
>>
>>942531
Based on his description it sounds like it might be a triple shifter but now I'm not sure on the derailleur itself. I'll wait until it gets in town and figure out the extra work I need from there.
>>
>>942486
..no, that's wrong.
If someone took that 'advice' verbatim, then they'd think, "Hmm, it's so much easier to climb hills at 80-90rpm, I'll just do it that way!" then they wonder why they don't seem to have comparable muscular endurance as their buddy they ride with, who climbs the same hills at 70-80rpm. The technique you use for a particular training activity is as important as the training activity itself. In the case of Force training (which is just really an early form of muscular endurance training, done on a hilly course) using a lower cadence emphasizes the production of torque (force) over faster contractions, which would raise your heart rate more, which would be instead emphasizing aerobic endurance, not muscular endurance and strength.

These sorts of specific workouts are not randomly created just to provide variety, they're specifically created to address specific limiters on the triange of basic performance elements (Force, Endurance, and Speed Skills). Ignoring them and 'just riding' or doing some halfway version of them is almost literally wasting time and miles on your bike.

If any of you had read even one article about cycling-specific training, the kind of post you just make would be totally unnecessary.
>>
>>942529
>>942537
Dont bother replacing what doesn't need replacing. Just screw the limiter in so you can't overshift. That's how most 2x groups used to work anyway; same shifter as 3x, sometimes with a switch to block one shifter position, and missing the lower portion of the derailleur cage.
Do make sure to set the derailleur height up as if there was a third ring, otherwise it'll all go pearshaped. It'll look funny but shift exactly the same as the intended setup.
>>
>>942517

So basically it would be too much of a pain in the ass if I didn't just try converting over to hydraulic discs?
>>
I don't get why ID is required.

>Can put medical info on
Most people have no special info to put on. And no way is a medic going to trust a blood type on your wristband when a test takes 2 seconds.
>So medics can identify you
As some other Anon said, medics will treat you regardless of who you are. They will only use your name to speak to you, and if you are conscious, you can tell them your own damn name.
>It's law
Not everywhere. Also what the actual fuck.
>To get beer
Don't look like a fucking child.

There is literally not one reason for the average cyclist to have to carry ID.
>>
>>942615
It's for if you fucking die.
>>
>>942618
Then who gives a fuck? They'll figure out who you are anyway if you die and the chance that you're going to die on a bike ride is very slim. Do you also always carry an ID when you go for a walk in case someone shoots you? Do you sleep with an ID in your pocket in case you get a heart attack and die in your sleep? No? Then fuck off. Yes? Then you're a faggot.
>>
>>942634
>Do you also always carry an ID when you go for a walk
Yes, why wouldn't I?
>>
>>942634
> Do you also always carry an ID when you go for a walk in case someone shoots you?
Most people walk around with their wallets, yes.

> Do you sleep with an ID in your pocket in case you get a heart attack and die in your sleep?
You can pretty easily be ID'd by address. When you leave that address is when you need to carry ID.
>>
I just bought a new 2013 Norco Corsa 1 as a commuter. I've never had a modern bike with hub gears. What do I need to know about maintenance?
>>
>>942568
There are short pull levers for flat bars. In fact, just web search "short pull brake lever" online already! Your answers are waiting for you on the world wide web. Switching parts is always a pain in the ass, by the way. Hydraulics on drop bars would be a pain in the ass. Switching to trekking bars and keeping the parts you've got would be a pain in the ass. Switching to trekking bars and putting hydraulic brakes on would be a MASSIVE pain in the ass. Just put on the trekking bars and sort out brake levers and shifters for it.

Or get an appropriate bike next time, jesus fuck.
>>
File: pump-mnp-100[1].jpg (6 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
pump-mnp-100[1].jpg
6 KB, 400x400
I went and got one of these hand pumps, a MNP 100 from Decathlon, which comes with a little plastic clip that's supposed to attach to the mounting points of a bottle cage.

Like a genius, I failed to note that my bike only had one such set of mounting points, currently occupied by my bottle cage.

Any alternative ideas for how to mount it?
>>
>>942779
Depends on the type of plastic clip: if it sits off to the side you can mount it under the cage, otherwise just attach it to the frame at some convenient place with zipties.

>>942673
Google the make/model of your hub for specifics, but generally speaking most hubs simply need their oil added/changed after 1000+ miles.
>>
>>942779
For instance - could I mount both the pump and the bottle cage to the same point, assuming the screws are long enough? There's a sort of offset to the pump's clip.
>>
>>942511
Smoother brakes = new cables new housings don't soak the calipers in oil/solvent they're aluminum and harsh solvents will melt your brake arms and cause them to fail/snap.

The steel cables corroded and have friction in the cable housings.

For pedals you don't need a special tool, 15 mm open ended wrench pedals tighten the way the bike "goes" left hand is reverse threaded.

Everyday bits and pieces, get a new chain you need a chain breaker $20.99 at Walmart, and a new chain (count the amount of sprockets in the rear Walmart has a cheap chain for $15 )

Personally at your experience level its better to just buy a new bike

Cables and housings are only $5

But the labor to get them replaced at a shop is $100....so it's a $105 job +tax

Pedals are only $20 but you don't know how to replace them that's a $40 labor charge.....

I mean that's just minor shit what if your bottom bracket was fucked? $40 part but a $200 labor charge
>>
>>942782
I'll try mounting them both to the same points, then.
>>
>>942740
Also it devalues the bike

While hydraulic brakes are in fact considered an upgrade when you go to sell the bike people will argue it shipped with mech brakes and a different bar

General rule of the unless you're a bike mechanic but the bike you want setup...perfectly and don't fuck with it

If you want a different bike sell it for more than you paid to some one on Craigslist since that's what treks and cannondale sell at (10% over msrp on Craigslist) and buy a new one...preferably on sale so you make even more money when you upgrade next year
>>
>>942789

Guy who has that used bike here.

I don't particularly care about devaluing it, considering that I was practically given the thing for $25 by a friend that's moving out of state in the next couple weeks. I'd feel kinda bad just turning around and selling it.
>>
>>942779
Put it under the bottle cage genius
>>
>>942790
Don't reply to him. The rest of the board just pretends he doesn't exist. Eventually he'll fuck back off to /fa/ or some other board to spread his filth.
>>
>>942784
>For instance - could I mount both the pump and the bottle cage to the same point

That's the whole fucking point
>>
>>942636
Because there's no reason to do so, dumbass. Burden of necessity lies on you.
>why don't you carry a scissors when you go for a walk?
>why don't you carry a bag of walnuts when you go for a walk?
>why don't you carry a ping pong paddle when you go for a walk?
BECAUSE IT'S FUCKING POINTLESS
>>942637
>Most people walk around with their wallets, yes.
When they're walking to a destination, yes. When they're just out for a walk, no, and it's fucking retarded to do so.
>When you leave that address is when you need to carry ID.
Except I don't "need" to carry ID. I don't even have a reason to. I've gotten by for upwards of two decades living my life without doing so without the slightest of inconveniences. Name one time, ONE FUCKING TIME, when you (or anyone for that matter) was out for a walk (for the fucking sake of walking; not walking to a destination where they'd need their wallet) and needed their wallet during their fucking walk.

Fuck, you dumbasses are incompetent.
>>
>>942798
>walking
>for the sake of walking
>>
File: 63264719[1].jpg (264 KB, 590x775) Image search: [Google]
63264719[1].jpg
264 KB, 590x775
>>942798
>Being this salty for no good reason
It looks like you came into the thread to troll but ended up just whipping yourself into an autistic rage because someone "has a different routine than you."

Toppest of keks to you and yours anon.
>>
>>942785
>don't soak the calipers in oil/solvent they're aluminum and harsh solvents will melt your brake arms and cause them to fail/snap
What the hell are you even talking about? Solvent and oil won't 'melt' aluminum and make it break, if you had that happen it was because whatever broke was crap in the first place.
>>
>>942804
Yes, it's called "going for a walk" (as opposed to "walking to [destination]").
>>942805
I have nothing against people carrying IDs/wallets when they go for walks, I have something against these fucktards saying that everyone should do things their way. How fucking difficult is that for you to comprehend, dumbass fucktard?

When did /n/ get taken over by incompetent 11 year old fucktards?
>>
>>942798
>I've gotten by for upwards of two decades living my life
Hey everyone we better listen to the Old Man here, he's ALMOST 20 YEARS OLD, he knows all the secrets of life, the Universe, and everything already! BOW DOWN TO HIS GREATNESS!

Please, O Sensei, grace us with more of your wisdom! WE'RE NOT WORTHY! WE'RE NOT WORTHY!
>>
>>942821
>more than two decades
>almost 20 (implying less than 20)
>x is simultaneously greater than 20 and less than 20
What the fuck is up with the influx of incompetence on /n/? Learn some basic fucking logic, dumbass.
>>
This thread is now autism
>>
Can a bent middle axle (pedal) be causing slipping shifts on the back ? I'm not sure if is the axle or the wheel, i have yet to disassemble and see
>>
>>942830

I could see how that might happen if your description is what I'm thinking of, but I think for most bikes it would be unrideable at that point.
>>
>>942834
Well, define unbrideable ?
It's an old street bike, with just 5 gears on the back and a friction shifter. I want to change it too, to one with fixed shift in order to avoid the constant looking for the clean shift. So that's point 1 I want to fix. Point 2 would be the freewheel on the back - it's wobbling and not moving parallel to the wheel itself. Some repairmen say it's ok and its supposed to be this way, some say it should not. Yesterday I compared it to a friend's similar bike, and his is perfectly straight. He also rode my bike and said that the pedal are also not moving straight. I'll unmount, clean, and lube them. Tomorrow I will go to a self-help workshop and see what turns up. Ideally I'm looking for a whole new back wheel, maybe with more shifts
>>
>>942834
>>942830

I found a broken spoke, which punctured my tire, also found out that some links on my chain are really stiff. The rear axle was supposed to be new, but it still rotates eccentrically, so maybe somthing inside the hub is fucked up.
>>
Would it be completely retarded to build a fully suspended single speed freewheeler?

I don't wanna slow down for curbs and stuff.
I already fucked up two inner tubes because I had too much weight on my back tire when jumping curbs.
>>
File: 1lpw.jpg (116 KB, 760x1000) Image search: [Google]
1lpw.jpg
116 KB, 760x1000
I wanna go tubeless.
what's your favourite sealant and what do I need to know about valves ?
>>
>>942910
you could always just learn the proper way to ride up curbs at slow-ish speeds by lifting the front wheel over the curb and then rapidly shifting your weight over the front wheel so the back wheel lifts/rolls up over the curb with no weight on it. If you're riding too fast to get all that together, you're riding fast enough to hop the curb. learn to bunny hop.

don't throw money at the problem, learn to pilot your machine.
>>
>>942928
Of course that's how I do it at lower speeds.

But a bunny hop at 15 mp/h with 26 inch wheels still eludes me.
>>
>>942923
Stans/Schwalbe Doc Blue (same fluid) for Maxxis/Schwalbe.
Contis own RevoSealant for Conti. Stans doesn't work very well at all for those - lots of people have problems getting the sidewall to seal. Revo does it.
>>
>>942930
>26"

git gud, I do it on a road bike with 700x23
>>
>>942945
Sometimes it feels like I just ripped off my entire back wheel, cogset, derailleur and all because I try to do it and hit the edge at the worst possible angle.

Imma gon git gud -.-
>>
>>942785
Thank you
>>
>>942785
>I mean that's just minor shit what if your bottom bracket was fucked? $40 part but a $200 labor charge
Top kek m8

What kind of outfit charges $200 for the five workshop minute job that it is replacing a bottom bracket?
You're just pulling labour cost numbers out of your ass.
>>
Are there cycling memes? Please post some
>>
>>943017
90s MTB with slicks
>>
>>943019

Also meme images please
>>
>>942945
Isn't a bunnyhop easier the smaller the wheels are?
>>
File: fixies are for fags.jpg (80 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
fixies are for fags.jpg
80 KB, 1600x1200
>>943021
>>
File: full-of-fuck.jpg (13 KB, 268x268) Image search: [Google]
full-of-fuck.jpg
13 KB, 268x268
>>943022
What ... the ... even ...
>>
>>943022
700s are bigger than 26s…
>>
I'm looking to upgrade my shitty entry level racer with shitty components to 105 or rather better. After buying a cyclocross with aluminium alloy frame and 105 components it's difficult to go back to the road racer now that the weather is getting nicer. It's just that every road racer with ultegra and di2 etc components are kind of completely in garbon at the LBS in my area. And having a LBS put together a custom aluminium alloy frame and good components on it seems retarded and way more expensive than a carbon bike with the same components.

I'm still kind of overweight at 106kg and I'm only losing about 0.25kg to 0.5kg a month (better than 130kg where I started from at least). Am I too heavy for a carbon bike? I read that some manufacturers put a weight limit at 136kg for carbon bikes. But does that figure include a safety margin for uneven parts in the road where you might not be able to absorb the shock with the legs in time?
>>
>>943026
>106kg
>kind of overweight
>ROOOOODOOOOO REIIIIIISAAAAAA
>>
>>943026
>Am I too heavy for a carbon bike?
Not as such, but you're too heavy for any light frame, be it alu or carbon. A heavy, sturdy carbon frame will carry you with no problem, but you don't want to be stuck with that later.
Buy an Apex group or something to slap on the bike you already have. Buy a lightweight frame when you've lost some, and carry the group over.
>>
>>943031
>Buy an Apex group or something to slap on the bike you already have. Buy a lightweight frame when you've lost some, and carry the group over.
It's kind of the same price to buy a frame with a good group on it than buying the group separately. I will just buy a new bike when I dropped to normal weight in about 2 years time. I can afford and justify to spend around $5000 on a new bike every other year (everything is twice as expensive here than in USA).
>>
>>943038
Technology will be different in 2 years. Product cycles are usually 4 years.
>>
File: 546534.jpg (523 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
546534.jpg
523 KB, 1024x768
Coworker just bought one of these... it was sold at Zellers for $1000 (should have been illegal) and he got it used for $600. Craziest part is, it was sold for $300 during the fire sale when Zellers was closing, so he got doubly ripped off.

I warned him, but he was in a rush to grab this deal of the century, so he now has a $600 BSO. Literally ran out and bought it on his lunch break before I could elaborate.

I told him I'd make a post here and see what people thought, because he doesn't seem to believe me about how shitty this thing is. I think he should try to sell it and recover some money to get a good bike.

>please help
>>
File: 65564.jpg (697 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
65564.jpg
697 KB, 1024x768
>>943057
>>
File: 5766875.jpg (476 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
5766875.jpg
476 KB, 1024x768
>>943058
>>
File: 54676758.jpg (656 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
54676758.jpg
656 KB, 1024x768
>>943059

That's all.

Help this poor fucker out.
>>
>>943057
Some people not smart.
>>
>>943061
>Help this poor fucker out.
He's not a "poor fucker", he's an idiot with more money than sense and is beyond help.

I notice you call him a co-worker and not a friend you happen to work with. Just leave him be and let him enjoy his shitty bike, why should it concern you?
>>
File: zellers_sat_sun3.jpg (169 KB, 450x951) Image search: [Google]
zellers_sat_sun3.jpg
169 KB, 450x951
>>943057

Damn... and even at $400 it is still a massive ripoff.

This is a $100 bike.
>>
>>943059
>zoom zoom
>>
>>943038
>It's kind of the same price to buy a frame with a good group on it than buying the group separately.
Retail yes, mail order no.
https://www.merlincycles.com/shimano-tiagra-4700-groupset-90612.html
>>
>>943074
Why would you buy 4700 when 5800 is only a little more?
>>
>>943081
Because it wont fit his wheels. But if you're buying wheels too, by all means do!
>>
>>943074
>>943038
>>943031
>>943026
SRAM is better than Shimano
>>
File: an hero.jpg (54 KB, 750x600) Image search: [Google]
an hero.jpg
54 KB, 750x600
>>943022
>>
If i am going to be sanding down a steel frame to bare metal, how would i go about either protecting it or chroming it? (and having it look...decent?)
>>
>>942830
>>942850
What it sounds like to me is you need to go take a course in basic bike maintenance.

You should NEVER have ANY links in your chain that are 'stiff'; what was the last time you cleaned and lubed your chain? What do you clean it with? What do you lube it with? Is it worn out? Do you even know?

Are your chainrings and cassette filthy? What about the pulleys on the rear derailleur? You can't adjust a dirty drivetrain and expect anything other than mediocre results.

Speaking of the chainrings and cassette.. are they worn out? If you let your chain go and it's really stretched then you probably ruined your chainrings and cassette and need to replace them.

What about cables? What was the last time you replaced them?

For that matter, derailleurs: What was the last time you cleaned and lubed the pivot points?

Any of the above can dramatically affect shifting and overall reliability.
>>
>>942823
>2016:
>Pretending to be 21
>2016:
>Being older than 19 and still on 4chan

Either way you're a severe autist. Kill yourself.
>>
>>942910
>jumping curbs
Eventually you'll learn that these things are what ruin your bike.
>>
>>943026
1. Upgrade the engine. Start with getting BELOW 100kg. Don't tell me you can't, either, I DID. >>>/fit/, and READ THE FUCKING STICKY

2. Unless you have some no-name shit Chinese components, you don't need to upgrade them. If you do then Shimano 105 is all you really need for now.

3. >>943086 You're a fag, SRAM is SHIT. Drink Drano and die.
>>
>>942910
Jumping up or down curbs? Jumping down curbs will generally only cause a pinch flat if your pressure is too low. Jumping up curbs will generally present a high risk of flats, even with your tires at adequate pressure, unless you are running wide tires (think 2"+, i.e. mountain bike tires).
>>943101
>get a bike, but don't have fun on it
Kill yourself.
>>943100
>implying that everyone who is more than two decades old is 21
>implying no human on Earth is in the 22-29 age range
>implying 18 and 19 year olds aren't the cancer plagueing 4chan
Fuck off to 9gag then hang yourself.
>>
>>943103
>SRAM is SHIT
False. Fuck off, Shitmano shill.
>>
>>943110
Shouldn't you be in your rocking chair watching reruns of Matlock, Golden Girls, and Johnny Carson's 'Tonight Show', grandpa? You're OLD, and you're going to DIE, SOON, why are you on a Mongolian horse breeders' mares-milk fermenting discussion forum? You're just embarassing your grandchildren by being here.
>>
File: Laughing-Guy-Meme-01.jpg (55 KB, 991x902) Image search: [Google]
Laughing-Guy-Meme-01.jpg
55 KB, 991x902
>>943112
>he drank the SRAM kool-aid
I tried a SRAM chain once. Was absolute SHIT, couldn't stand up and sprint without it skipping. Put on a nice new high-quality UItegra chain: NO PROBLEM, sprint LIKE A BOSS.
SRAM = SHIT
>>
>>941782
>>942056
>>942078
>>942094
>>942117
>>942301
>>942424
>>942446
>>942492
>>942618
>>942636
>>942637
>>942804
>>942821
>>943022
>>943100
>>943101
>>943103
Why are there so fucking many retarded posts in this thread? I bet all the posts I quoted were collectively posted by, at most, 3 people. If you are one of the people I quoted in this post, kindly leave 4chan forever and kill yourself.
>>
>>943116
That's because you put on a chain that's incompatible with your drive train components, dumbass. Funny thing is I had the same thing happen but in reverse, Shimano skipped, SRAM didn't. But it's not because one company makes chains prone to skipping and the other doesn't. Maybe if you knew a bit about drive train component compatibility you'd realize how stupid you sound.
Causes of skipping can include:
>chain is too narrow for your other drive train components
>chain is too wide for your other drive train components
>new chain on worn sprockets
>worn chain on new sprockets
>severely worn chain (with new or worn sprockets)
>severely worn sprockets (with new or worn chain)
>>
>>943116
> he bought the wrong chain
> he doesnt know how to adjust gears
>>
File: hqdefault[1].jpg (11 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault[1].jpg
11 KB, 480x360
>>943103
>1. Upgrade the engine
Yee son, I'm with you on this one. I went from 110 kg to 89 kg and it made a huge difference, saving weight on your bike is a last resort and is only really effective for real athletes who can't possibly lean up any more without getting weak. That or people for which money is no object of course.

>SRAM is SHIT
Yep, even using a SRAM chain on my Dura-ace almost gave me cancer after 50 km.
Everything > SRAM

>Shimano 105 is all you really need for now
With the advent of the new 11-speed 105, you'll never have much reason to go Ultegra or Dura-ace ever again. I know they're a bit lower tolerance than the higher end groups but they shift much the same with modern indexing technology and good quality cables.
I'd love 11-speed 105 and TRP cable disc brakes on my next bike, and that's coming from a durr ace fanboy.

>>943110
>Implying most people on 4chin aren't adults
I'm almost 30 for keks sake, I'd really prefer if you would be quiet. Pic related.

>>943112
>>943116
All SRAM stuff, even the highest-end groups, are made in Taiwan. Buying SRAM makes you a Red-Dragon shill. "They took our jerbs etc"

On an unrelated note, I just got an Ultegra HG93 chain for my group and it's smooth as buttahhhh, and quiet as shit even while doing 35 km/h on the flats with 110 RPM cadence.
>>
>>943139
>Yep, even using a SRAM chain on my Dura-ace almost gave me cancer after 50 km.
>Everything > SRAM
>has Dura Ace
>doesn't even know how to determine what components are compatible
Dura-Ace is only supposed to be used with Dura-Ace fucktard. Use SRAM Red with SRAM Red or any fucking normal tier SRAM with any fucking normal tier Shimano and it works fine. Shimano is shit in general though.
>>Implying most people on 4chin aren't adults
>I'm almost 30 for keks sake, I
Pretty sure we are agreed on that point. I said that I've been alive for upwards of two decades, then some fucktard took that to mean I'm less than 20. I'm in my 20s. The guy I replied to is probably underageb&.

I have four bicycles (including two high-end carbon bicycles), I've used many different components (including various levels of SRAM, various levels of Shimano, and several other brands) and I can absolutely say that SRAM is much better than Shimano in general.
>>
>>943142
My 9 speed was compatible with the SRAM chain, but the chain was still cancerous.
SRAM has a 1:1 cable pull, which can make it feel better for some, especially those who baby their gears while shifting or have weak fingers, my gears shift beautifully (even uphill under load) because i know the ramps and the throw and the Shimano groups are up to the task.

The SRAM stuff still has shitty chain retention and shift ramps, they've cost races and refuse to admit that it's because of their shitty cable ratios or shift ramps.
But hey, each to their own fella, SRAM could be great if they changed a few critical things; but until then they're jew-grade gears anon.
>>
File: IMG_0921.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0921.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
yo /bqg/ I got hit by a car today and my rear derailleur/chain is fucked up or something, I've tried to put the chain back on the gears but it gets fucked up when I try to pedal back:

https://vimeo.com/162469334

Anything I can do?
>>
>>943151
>My 9 speed was compatible with the SRAM chain, but the chain was still cancerous
Dura Ace is not compatible with non-Dura Ace, dumbass.
>>
>>943155
>>
>>943160
>he
triggered

i know it isn't on the pulley but that's because it flies off the pulley when i backpedal

anon on /mtfg/ says it's a bent derailleur so i'll probably have to replace it or something
>>
>>943155
Your chain is jammed. Might be wedged between your smallest cassette cog and your stays, or it might be jammed within the rear derailleur, or less likely jammed between two cassette cogs or between two chainrings. Look around and find where it's jammed.
>>
>>943161
What is /mtfg/?
Bent derailleur hanger is more likely than bent derailleur. Bent hanger can be bent back into shape if it's a steel frame bike with the hanger built into the frame (take it to a bike shop for this, don't try it yourself or you'll make it worse if you don't have a derailleur hanger alignment gauge). If it's an aluminum frame bike then it probably has a removable replacable hanger. If it's replacable then see http://wheelsmfg.com/derailleur-hangers/all-derailleur-hangers.html
>>
>>943163
male to female gen on /lgbt/

it's aluminium I think, I'll look into >>943162 's suggestion a bit before ordering replacement components
>>
Beginner maintenance question here (even though I've been cycling for four years and absolutely should know this by now but) what is a a good affordable grease for stuff like my hubs?
I saw a couple of videos that recommended general purpose automotive grease because it's much more affordable than what is apparently the same stuff only with "bicycle" stamped on the label. I understand that certain automotive greases are designed for much higher temperatures though, what will work on a bike?

I also saw a video that recommended paint thinner as a mass de-greaser. Is this legit, or another one of those things-you-read-on-the-internet?

Asking because I'm about to start practicing on hub/bottom bracket maintenance and not sure where to begin.
>>
>>943164
They were both my posts, but yeah make sure chain isn't jammed first. Then look into bent derailleur hangar, etc. To see if the hanger is bent, look from behind, and see if the derailleur pulleys (the little wheels) line up straight with the cassette cogs.
>>
>>943165
>Beginner maintenance question here (even though I've been cycling for four years and absolutely should know this by now but) what is a a good affordable grease for stuff like my hubs?
I use this stuff: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Phil-Wood-Waterproof-Grease-Tub-22-5oz-/401104362912
Works great.
>>
File: IMG_0923.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0923.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>943169
I'm not an expert, but looks like it?
>>
>>943173
That looks EXTREMELY bent. Though it looks to be the derailleur itself more than the hanger. It could just be the derailleur cage which could be bent back into shape, hard to see exactly what's bent just looking at the pic. But yeah something is seriously bent, about as bad as I've ever seen.
>>
>>943175
Ooh. Do I need a new derailleur, you think?
>>
>>943176
Very likely. It's hard to tell exactly what's bent just looking at the picture. If you post a few more pictures, or a video showing the derailleur from various angles, that might help. Otherwise you could go to a bike shop and ask them. Basically it comes down to
>you need a new derailleur, bike shop can help you pick the right one
>your derailleur can be fixed, bike shop can fix it for you
>your hanger is bent, bike shop can bend it back into shape or order a replacement one for you
Regardless, from what I can tell you're not really an experienced bike mechanic (and I don't mean that in an offensive way, just an observation) so you'll probably have to go to a bike shop regardless of the issue. So my recommendation is just take the bike to a shop, they'll tell you what's wrong and what has to be done to fix it, then they'll fix it for you.
>>
>>943176
>>943177
Also, if you do need a new derailleur, ask for one of a similar quality to your old one. Sometimes shops will try to sell you the most high end expensive option. If they say you need a new derailleur they're probably telling the truth, just don't let them make you buy a super high end one.
>>
>>943177
It seems like it would be a good idea to try and learn shit about fixing my bike beforehand, but I'll take it out to the shop if I have to.

https://vimeo.com/162475463
>>
File: drive train.png (1 KB, 304x182) Image search: [Google]
drive train.png
1 KB, 304x182
>>943179
Normally when a derailleur is really crooked like that it's because of a bent hanger, but in the video the hanger looks straight to me, so I think the derailleur itself is bent. You could look at it closely and try to determine where it's bent to see if you can bend it back into shape, but I'm guessing you'll need a new derailleur.

Basically, pic on left is what it should look like (cassette with derailleur pulley below), pic on right is what yours looks like
>>
>>943139
Uh, yeah, like someone else said: If you have Dura-Ace drivetrain, then you have to use a Dura-Ace chain. You can't even cheap out and use Ultegra, it has to be Dura-Ace, which is one of many reasons not to buy Dura-Ace, unless you really don't have to worry about what things cost. You sure wouldn't use SRAM on it in any case.
>>
>>943155
Among other things your chain is too long and needs to have a few links removed from it anyway; the derailleur isn't supposed to be that far up to start with. Being bent doesn't help either. Yeah, replace the derailleur, and the chain while you're at it, and be sure it's sized right too.
>>
>>943182
I see. What kind of rear derailleur should I get? Would any derailleur with the same amount of gears work or should I get the exact same model (Shimano Altus)?
>>
>>943186
How do I know if the chain's the right size?
>>
>>943165

I use regular axle grease, same stuff that goes into my boat trailer. Paint thinner will cut grease pretty good too.

Never had shop class in school?
>>
>>943187
Shimano Altus is the "level" (as in, how high quality it is), not the model. Even if you get another Shimano Altus it may not be compatible. You have to get one that's for the right amount of cogs (as you said), but there's other factors too (pull ratio, cage length, chain wrap capacity, and largest cog it can accomodate). But all of that will be correct if you get another Altus, just make sure to get the correct version of the Altus (it comes in a 7/8 speed version as well as a 9-speed version; it also comes in black and silver versions if you care about aesthetics) And in case it's not clear, the 7/8 speed version is a single version compatible with both 7 and 8 speed cassettes. The 9-speed is compatible only with 9-speed cassettes.

tl;dr get another Altus, and make sure to get the 7/8 speed version if your cassette has 7 or 8 cogs, or the 9 speed version of your cassette has 9 cogs.
The Altus isn't the only one that would work, other models will too, but the easiest way to make sure it'll work is get another of the same one.

But I would recommend first making certain that the issue is that the derailleur itself is bent, not the hanger. I think it's the derailleur itself but without looking in person I'm not 100% sure.
>>
>>943188
Use method 3 on this page: http://sandbox.parktool.com/blog/repair-help/chain-length-sizing#article-section-3
As long as you're getting a new derailleur and have to remove/re-install your chain, and may have to shorten your chain, it might pay to get a new chain now too. Chains stretch over time and if you continue to use a stretched chain, it will wear out your other components. A chain will generally last 1,000-3,000 miles depending on various factors.
When you get a new chain, it's generally okay to mix brands (i.e. a SRAM or KMC chain with Shimano components). In some specific cases (i.e. SRAM Red and Shimano Dura Ace) you can't do this, but in your case, a SRAM, KMC, or Shimano chain will work, AS LONG AS it's for the correct speed drivetrain. If it's not for the correct speed drivetrain, then it will be either too wide or too narrow.
>>
>>943074
Kind of want the bike fit and convenience that's included in the price at a LBS. I did buy through mail order once and it turned out about the same in totals as just buying the bike from a LBS in the first place.
>>943086
SRAM almost have no market share here.

>>943103
>1. Upgrade the engine. Start with getting BELOW 100kg. Don't tell me you can't, either, I DID. >>>/fit/, and READ THE FUCKING STICKY
No. I'm not a bike mechanic. I'm losing weight in a way that's sustainable and possible for me. I have been obese for a majority of my life and I finally found a method I can keep up with.
>2. Unless you have some no-name shit Chinese components, you don't need to upgrade them. If you do then Shimano 105 is all you really need for now.
My road racer has entry level shimano group. No tuning in the world can get it to shift smoothly.
>>
>>943209
>My road racer has entry level shimano group. No tuning in the world can get it to shift smoothly.
Upgrade to SRAM Rival or SRAM Force
>>
>>943211
No SRAM market share here in case you have trouble reading.
>>
>>943213
>amazon
>ebay
>etc
If you're that much of a faggot, Tiagra or 105. But SRAM is better.
>>
running low on cash, should I sell all electronics to repair my recently demolished wheels? heck I use my bike way more often then these gadgets, so it seems feasible. Also, wondering if i should just purchase new wheels or build up a pair, ones with brass nipples.
>>
>>943233
you should anon, if you want to be serious why do you need all those distractions?
>>
What's the proper etiquette for getting overtaken on a climb by someone who is significantly better than you?
Is it acceptable to show fighting spirit and sit on their wheel wheezing loudly as long as you can (which you dont't know if they will find it annoying or not), or should you show submission and not follow so as to not bother their life of clearly superior fitness?
>>
>>943268
Never draft without permission and both you and your gear should be as quiet as possible as not to annoy fellow cyclists. In case of doubt, please re-read the Velominati brochure.
>>
File: size.png (263 KB, 644x932) Image search: [Google]
size.png
263 KB, 644x932
What size is good for me? 182cm with 86cm inseam. Maybe L?
http://www.konaworld.com/unit.cfm
>>
>>943155
it might be the wide-angle lens distortion on your camera, but it looks like your derailleur hanger is bent.

the thin part of your frame that the derailleur bolts onto, it should be in line with the chainstay and perpendicular to the ground. if not, that looks like steel, you can bend it back using a crescent wrench, clamp the hanger in the jaws and use the handle for leverage.
>>
>>943279
>nobody replies to initial post with "bent hanger"
>better post it
>ALL the subsequent replies are about that

whelp, yeah, what they said. looking more like the derailleur cage in the other pic.
>>
>>943278
Definitely the large.
>>
>>942511

Hi pressure cleaner filled with gasoline,be sure to pray all bearing seals extra mucj

And have a rewarding cigar afterwards
>>
I hate to crosspost, but bike buying general has been dead.

I would seriously appreciate it if somebody would take a look give me abit of advise. >>942992
>>
>Here lies the body of George O'Day.
>He died maintaining his right of way.
>He was right, dead right as he rode along,
>But he is just as dead as if he were wrong.

I've always tried taking that to heart when I drive. Is there anything that isn't immediately obvious that I should be doing in order to do the same when riding a bike?
>>
Are supermarket / department store bikes better than no bike at all?
>>
>>943331
Anything is better than no bike at all
>>
>>943331

Better at what? Riding? Yes. Annoying the shit out of you? Yes.
>>
>>943165
I literally use wheel hub grease for cars, the red synthetic stuff that's good up to 700 degrees fahrenheit. Got a ton of it because '>lol coaster brake' and I've just decided to use it on just about everything because I'm too damn lazy to sweat which particular kind of grease I'm using. That said, this stuff is horribly mechanically inefficient. It pays to get a more bike-specific lube where the mechanical and environmental tolerances are a lot more lenient, and where efficiency becomes key.
>>
>>943233
Building your own wheels will be slightly cheaper if you:
1. Are willing to kludge a bit (use a bike frame instead of buying a separate stand, etc.) and
2. Are trying to avoid cheap Chinese shit, which will usually come out cheaper overall but is more a roll of the dice as far as quality goes.
That said, learning to build wheels is a huge headache if you aren't mechanically-inclined. Your best bet is just to cruise the 'net for as many reviews, anecdotes, and studies as possible to build your own opinion off of. Taking the time on the front end to research is what will REALLY pay off in the long run.

Oh, and NEVER ask /n/. Never. We're always wrong. ;^)
>>
File: Cable_story_2__008_1.jpg (1 MB, 2000x1481) Image search: [Google]
Cable_story_2__008_1.jpg
1 MB, 2000x1481
Does someone have some experience with these Nokon cable liner things? Are they good and worth the money? What are good alternatives?

Sick and tired of plasticky shit plastic shit
>>
>>943270
>Never draft without permission
This.
Unless it's from a vehicle in which case go ahead.

Had a guy draft me the other day, but because he said hi first and we had a quick chat that was fine.
If someone just joined me I would either up the pace until they 'fell' off, or slow down so they got bored.
>>
What does /n/ listen to while riding?
>>
>>943377
Nature
>>
>>943381

Fucking boring.

I listened to this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3Go8ub9a1k

for about 3hrs straight today. Dont even know why but it's catchy
>>
>>943381

>Ahh, the sound of nature, so nice
>let's speed up a little
>BFFFFFFFFTTTT WIND NOISE ALL THE WAY
>>
>>943233
Yes.
>>943268
Don't be a faggot. Simple as that. Ignore >>943270, Velominati are fucking retards and half their 'rules' are idiotic.
>>943278
http://www.ebicycles.com/bicycle-tools/frame-sizer
>>943323
>Be aware of "right hook" (or left hook if you live somewhere where cars drive on the left side)
>Avoid the door zone
>NEVER ride on the left side of the road (or, if you live in a place where people drive on the left side, then NEVER ride on the right side), EVEN if it's a one-way road, and EVEN if there's a bike lane on that side. I live in the United States where people drive on the right side. There's a one-way road that used to have a bike lane on the left side. Drivers aren't used to seeing cyclists on the left side so they don't look. A cager turned left right next to me (I was in the bike lane), missed a collision by a centimeter, forced me to smash into a traffic light post. Another cyclist was killed on that road. And another time I saw a bike laying in the bike lane by a car with a smashed windshield, not hard to piece together what happened. Just know that drivers never look there because cyclists rarely ride there.
>>943331
Buy a used bike on Craigslist for the same price. >>>/n/bbg
>>943377
Nature
>>
>>943321
>>942992
>benefit of multi-geared bike, worth extra?
Very useful even in a flat area for a heavy bike + rider: low gear lets you pedal easy away from a stop, then shift into a higher gear so you can hold a decent speed
>What should I be looking for to handle lots of weight?
A strong wheelset that can accept wide tires is the most important thing, in your situation I'd be looking at rigid mountain bikes from the 90's, or touring bikes (new or old).
>cost of bicycles on craigslist vs. new, depreciation?
Prices on craigslist can be totally random, but generally reflect what the market will bear and are cheaper than new bikes. Depreciation is tricky, simple bikes can be kept working for many decades - more complicated, or racing-type bikes depreciate significantly the instant they're sold.
>Am I not looking in the right place?
Honestly I'd find a bike shop and not bother with CL, with your weight the bike (and especially the wheels) need to be just right otherwise there's plenty to go wrong.
>With new and used bikes, what are should I avoid?
Narrow tires, suspension parts, anything you can't ride comfortably.

>>943323
The alternative to maintaining your right of way (using sidewalks or riding in the gutter) is actually much more dangerous because it makes you less visible and less predictable to other road users.

>>943370
Unless you're especially picky about what hubs/rims you run, these days it's generally more cost effective to buy a stock new wheelset. Building wheels is a great skill to learn, but really, these days it's more about personalization than a necessity.

>>943371
I've encountered them and frankly I wouldn't bother unless you're running mechanical disc brakes, or have got some freakishly long cables - otherwise modern lined housing works very well and the advantage of compressionless housing is tiny.
>>
>>943321
Replied
>>
>>943268
Ignore the trolls.

If someone doesn't want you drafting them, they'll tell you so. Otherwise don't half-wheel them, and don't sit a half inch off their back wheel if you can't hold your line and might just tap wheels and take them down. That being said you can't trust the skill level of random riders you meet up with on the road, either, so if you're too close *they* might do something stupid and take *you* down. If all goes well, you're hanging, and whoever it is doesn't seem to mind, be courteous and take a pull or three yourself, don't make them do all the work. Also be sure that when you pull through you don't speed up or slow down, maintain the same pace you were going, and don't keep pulling until you blow up, either. By the way all the above applies to pacelining if you have an opportunity to do that, too.
>>
>>943386
>Unless you're especially picky about what hubs/rims you run, these days it's generally more cost effective to buy a stock new wheelset. Building wheels is a great skill to learn, but really, these days it's more about personalization than a necessity.
Oh. Well never mind what I said then.

>Oh, and NEVER ask /n/. Never. We're always wrong. ;^)
yup. ;w;
>>
>>942782
Shimano Nexus 8, the one without the internal brake. I'll probably just ride it until the chain wears and then worry about maintenance. Thanks.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 34

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.