[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Current infrastructure projects thread. Old thread >>897336
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /n/ - Transportation

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 13
Current infrastructure projects thread.

Old thread >>897336

An upgrade from 2 to 4 tracks on some 20km of Mälarbanan northwest of Stockholm to separate local from regional traffic will be taken into service this fall.

The effect will be one (1) more commuter train in rush hour.
>>
Canada's budget for Public Transit.
>>
An upgrade of no holes for lags to eight holes for lags some 2/10ths of a mile behind me.

The effect will be some(8) holes for lags in each new tie.
>>
>>938413
What exactly can you do on transit matters with $320,000?
>>
>>938579
buy a bus
>>
>>938579
they have a public snowshoe system
>>
>>938581
You could get several second-hand buses.

This is what they do in eastern Europe.
>>
>>938835
or even a whole fleet of ancient school buses
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-03-31-21-02-45.jpg (877 KB, 1080x1920) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-03-31-21-02-45.jpg
877 KB, 1080x1920
>After reviewing many options, including rubber-tyred automatic people mover (APM), monorail, trolley bus, modern tram, cable liner shuttle, maglev and personal rapid transit systems in early studies, the two options considered most suitable were an elevated APM and an elevated monorail, with both having similar capital and maintenance costs.

The monorail proposal is 4 times more expensive than the modern tram system proposal, but since government think having a tramway system in some narrower streets would increase traffic congestion, they choose to go with the monorail system
>>
File: havebabies_with_me.jpg (24 KB, 400x242) Image search: [Google]
havebabies_with_me.jpg
24 KB, 400x242
>>938835
>>938836
This so much.
>pic related
Back in school times we used to call them disco-buses, since they shook and rocked like a man dancing on meth.
>>
File: Łosice-wizualizacja.jpg (2 MB, 2160x960) Image search: [Google]
Łosice-wizualizacja.jpg
2 MB, 2160x960
>Current infrastructure projects
In a small town nearby (7k people) a bust terminal is has been totally changed (they're finishing the project now). The big gray blob is now a supermarket, the small long building next to the actual terminal has some small shops (hardware, bar etc.)

It has one thing different from the plan (pic related) though - the buses are able to get to the stops through the parking lot on the right.
>>
>>938579
http://www.pyongyang-metro.com/metronews.html
20 Old Germany metro rolling stock
>>
>>939226
>For a safe operation for an 8 kilometre system for a half an hourly interval, it usually needs four to six units per each line. Since Pyongyang had two lines and operated at 7 minutes of interval, it could be judged that Pyongyang had at least 24 units in each of the lines, at that meant it had minimum of 144 cars. But Changchun said it had a exported total of 345 vehicles. That had meant North Korea had plenty of metro vehicles from China still in store even after some had returned to Beijing. That clearly means Pyongyang has a special subway system for political leaders. I’d believe the North Korean government will be re-using them again next time.
>30 minute intervals
>subway
I get the NK regime is run by a bunch of kooks but wouldn't it be far more sensible to assume that they run subway trains at more 'normal' headways?
>>
File: Square One GO.jpg (65 KB, 960x546) Image search: [Google]
Square One GO.jpg
65 KB, 960x546
The station building at Square One Bus Terminal in Mississauga, Ontario opened today.

https://news.ontario.ca/mto/en/2016/03/improvements-completed-at-square-one-go-bus-terminal.html?_ga=1.220469656.1057833222.1459431699
>>
>>939237
Well it says 7 minutes interval in the next sentence.

What would bother me more, is that 4 units in a 30 minute frequency on a 8 km line would mean a whopping 8 km/h average speed. All memeing about Best Korea's infrastructure aside, that can't be right.
>>
Toronto-York Spadina Subway Extension is still ongoing. The Eglinton Crosstown has entered its station construction phase out in its west end.

As well City council pushed forward the motion to expedite the completion of the Eglinton Crosstown extensions to Pearson Airport in the west and U of T Scarborough in the east up to 2021, in order to open alongside the main portion of the Crosstown. The amendments to the EA should be done by June. The eastern half can be done by 2021 since literally no work on the overground sections has started. As for the western extension it may be a little tight since we aren't sure if it will run at street level like in the east or in its own elevated ROW.
>>
The project to untangle the worst of the problems with rail around Manchester is actually moving.
https://www.networkrail.co.uk/north/Ordsall-Chord.aspx
>>
>>939984
>As well City council pushed forward the motion to expedite the completion of the Eglinton Crosstown extensions to Pearson Airport
Considering the UP Express project is likely to go bankrupt soon, what's the chances they'll reuse the existing station at Pearson for the Crosstown extension?
>>
>>940902
Well the stop at Pearson is guaranteed to be underground, so I guess they would place the station under the UP station since it also connects to the Pearson LINK train.

Also I forgot to add that the plan also includes a feasibility study on extending the Finch West LRT to Pearson as well to connect with the UP, Crosstown and buses. Basically the goal now is to turn Pearson into a transit hub.
>>
>>938579
it's probably just a van service for old people and disabled
>>
>>940914
So in other words we wasted millions on a train that is going to be rendered completely redundant within a few years?
>>
>>940938
Metrolinx likes to say that the UP serves a completely different demographic compared to the EC/FW LRT lines. That being said given the choice I would assume most commuters would choose the $3 (or whatever a fare is by then) to take one of the LRT's or bus routes than the price of the UP.
>>
File: JS31152773.jpg (46 KB, 615x409) Image search: [Google]
JS31152773.jpg
46 KB, 615x409
£6 million project to modernise Newcastle Central metro station is set to be completed in the next few months

Part of a £389 million system wide modernisation plan, next step is apparently a transport hub at South Shields which is my home town.
>>
Paging that guy who complains about Barcelona public transport
>>
http://www.popsci.com/driverless-buses-go-with-traffic-flow

>“It’s the first time someone dared to bring a totally automated vehicle into open traffic,” Angelos Amditis tells Popular Science. Amditis is the research director at Greece's Institute of Communication and Computer Systems, which is handling the technical side of the project. Previously, automated vehicles in Greece were either operated only in segregated lanes or exhibition areas, or under the supervision of a professional driver in case of emergency. There’s no human backup for Trikala’s six automated buses, which operate surrounded by other cars, bicyclists, and pedestrians.
>>
>>941898
Oh wow they got golf carts that can roll around main streets at 60 klicks an hour.
These stupid things still don't even work out in the rain or snow, right?
>>
>>941911
it doesn't mention weather in that article.

that it is able to safely navigate a road with unpredictable human traffic even at a slow speed seemed impressive to me, but obviously your more of a glass-half-empty kinda guy. it's only a first step. the first rockets didn't carry any passengers, should we have given up then?
>>
>26km High Speed Rail Link
>cost US$11B to build

How much does it take to build the Hokkaido Shinkansen?

http://www.expressraillink.hk/en/project-details/key-information.html
>>
>>942100
Most of that is probably land purchase cost.
>>
>>942252
https://www.hyd.gov.hk/xrl/doc/public/LCPTP/eng/tp_rdp1116cb1-503-1-e.pdf
land cost is less than US$0.2Bn.
>>
>>942100
>26km
>~16 miles
>3,000 ties in a mile
>Creosote soaked wooden tie costs $50 in the USA
That's like $2.5 million in tie costs alone. Railroads ain't cheap, son.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (231 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
231 KB, 1920x1080
>tfw houston is getting a brt instead of a light rail because the anti-rail lobby is too stronk
pic slightly related
>>
>>942285
>2.5 million in a 11 billion project
>>
>>939187
>Kai Tak

may that glorious airport rest in peace

even if it was a shit show, it was fun to fly in to best approach ive ever ridden
>>
>>938436
MOW guy here, who do you work for? Looks like you are working on wood, what fastening system is being installed? I'm guessing Pandrol.
>>
>>942295
They made the right call if they weren't going to grade separate the light rail.
>>
File: hogdalen depot access.jpg (385 KB, 1280x966) Image search: [Google]
hogdalen depot access.jpg
385 KB, 1280x966
Access tunnel to be built from the Högdalen depot to also serve another of the three metro branches south of Stockholm. About 2km in tunnel.

Rail nerds have suggested this since forever.

http://nyatunnelbanan.sll.se/sv/artikel/s-h-r-kopplas-nya-dep-n-till-gr-n-linje
>>
>>943420
Cirque Du Nacional.

It was pandrol clips on a leg of a wye. This curve actually used lags where most of them are those stupid irritating hairpins that we just yank out and spike instead.
>>
>>943423
non-grade-separated BRT is just a fancy bus lane, really
>>
>>938436
what are lags?
>>
File: sagrera.jpg (119 KB, 646x411) Image search: [Google]
sagrera.jpg
119 KB, 646x411
>>941107
Yes yes I'm here.
This new station is supposed to become our second main station on the other side of the city with our current one. Best thing is it won't even alleviate any of our main problems for the mainline railways, just add a station to this line which is fine although it's not that far away from the existing stations on either side.

Apart from that the obvious main reason for this station is to be a fuckhueg HSR station with like 10 tracks or so.
>be poor
>build fuckhueg HSR stations

They've been building it now for like, what, 10 years or so? If they got to it right away it would take at least 3 or 4 years to be finished, but that's unlikely to happen.
It was a dumbass project to begin with and this is what we get for it.
>>
>>943972
you can put lipstick on a pig but it's still a pig
>>
>>944036
Big fat screws basically. They can be ones you have to turn in, or they can be like giant self tapping screws that you can just pound in with a converted spike machine.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7cqg7Q9XWY

Driver's cab demonstration for SJ X60B, revised model of Alstom Coradia Nordic. Ordered to phase out old rolling stock that wouldn't manage the steep slopes in the Citybanan railway tunnel across Stockholm.
Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.