[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Without directing me to google, what are some good front bike
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /n/ - Transportation

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 3
Without directing me to google, what are some good front bike lights to look out for? I want something bright enough to ride at night with.
>>
go to google
>>
>>935599
this

and then fuck off faggot
>>
>>935599
>>935600
god i love you people
>>
>>935598
Busch & Mueller
>>
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=good+front+bike+lights

Without directing me to google, what are some good faggots to look out for? I want something big enough to suck dick at night with.
>>
>>935627
Now you're just being hurtful. Why would I do my own research when you guys know what to buy already?
>>
>>935613
Their battery powered lights are overpriced and under powered. So you'd be cucked by street lights riding in the city. Fitting of the Germans.

OP
500 lumens is a pretty decent strength for a headlight. Cold will significantly reduce the runtime of anything with a lithium battery. Most beam patterns suck, the hot spot is distracting and can hurt night vision.
>>
>>935630
>500 lumens
Great. I've just bid on a waterproof light with 600 lumens on ebay.
>>
Some people use flashlights, you can get handlebar flashlight holders. Recharging via USB is a handy feature albeit slow, but then you aren't stuck with a proprietary charger.

Removable batteries either AA or 18650 are nice to provided extended runtimes. Not many powerful headlights with those options, but you see it more in higher end flashlights.
>>
Cygolite Metro 400
Cygolite Hotshot
Best lights on the market.
>>
File: AGU126652[1].jpg (25 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
AGU126652[1].jpg
25 KB, 800x600
these are MORE than sufficient to illuinate the whole forest I was riding in
>>
http://m.thesweethome.com/reviews/best-commuter-bike-lights/
tl;dr get a Cygo-Lite in the range of 350-500 lumens.
>>
https://www.bikelightdatabase.com
>>
I think it's funny how people are shitting on B&M for being weak and then unironically recommending lights in the 350-400 lumen range that don't even try to have a beam pattern.
>>
>>935652
What are they?
>>
>>935598
knog lights are pretty good, or you can get one of those cree bike lights with the big battery.
>>
>>935782
I've got an Ixon IQ Premium and its 150 lumens at most. Nice beam pattern but useless its pitch black since other light sources drown it out.
>>
>>935821
Anything short of 600+ lumens is going to get drowned out by street lights

There's no reliable data on the lumens of the ixon premium but the beam intensity on the ground (i.e. where it's designed to go) is higher than my flood headlight on the low setting (150lm). Probably not as strong as medium (450lm)

Lumens is a bad way to compare headlights, it's why we have all these shit-tier China lights from Amazon that blind everyone. It would be nice if the B&M was a bit stronger for sure, but it's at least comparable to a metro 350 since you have to subtract half that light that ends up in the sky
>>
>>935833
Anything greater than 500 is going to blind oncoming cyclists, though. Point it down at the ground. Way down.
>>
>>935851
Anything that's going to overpower street lights is also going to blind cyclists

Get an ixon and a strong flood and only use the flood when you're not in a position to blind cyclists

Getting a high powered flood and using it to light up your front tire is a waste of money
>>
>>935856
>and a strong flood
Example?
>>
>>935856
>Anything that's going to overpower street lights is also going to blind cyclists.
Not if it's an stvzo lamp.
>>935858
MagicShine et al. Anything with a round/symmetrical reflector and high lumen rating.
>>
>>935821
Usefull lighting is measured in lux. The IQ Premium makes 80 lux at ten metres, at the high setting. That's very high for a bike light. Very, very high. City mode is 10 lux.
Are you sure you're not running it either in Eco mode, or with crappy batteries? High quality 2300mAh accu recommended.
>>
>>935864
To put that 80 lux/10m into perspective, a car headlamp is allowed to produce an absolute _maximum_ 180 lux at 25m under EU law, or 225 for high beam.

80 lux is a kegle that will make more than a few people mistake you for a motorcyclist at night.
>>
>>935862
Are there stzvo lights putting out 800+ lumens though? IIRC the only one that was ever made was the BM Big Bang and that thing is not available anywhere anymore.
>>935864
Yes, if you misalign your ixon you will piss people off. I've never gotten angry shouts from my cygolite unless it was on "boost" mode (850 lm), but my supposedly weak ixon gets people really riled up if I point it above waist level. It's a really concentrated beam just below the cutoff, to spread the photons evenly when correctly positioned
>>
>>935871
If we assume a 20° spread on the 80 lux bike light, that's roughly 760 lumen. Actual lumen. That's about what the "1200 lumen" china floods output in the real world.
>>
>>935598
I use B+M IQ+ on my MTB and http://fortifiedbike.com/collections/aviator-afterburner
on my road bike.
The B+M front is a good light, but sadly does not survive a fall. The front light battery compartment hinges or catch breaks if you fall hard on the side, even if the light doesn't hit the ground.
The fortified back light seems to slowly drain power even when not in use, but we're talking weeks, so it's not a huge issue. Never fell with the road bike, but since it has a rotary lock, I guess nothing would happen. It's cast aluminium though, so I think it will break on direct hit.
That said I would (and have in case of the B+M) buy them again.
>>
>>935886
For mountainbiking a helmet mounted flood with external accu is better for both the reason you state, but also a more appropriate pattern.
>>
>>935896
It's also a great way to injure yourself if you fall.
>>
>>935907
How do you figure? Accu goes in bp with protective plate between it and your spine. Lamp on helmet is not a risk in any way.
>>
>>935911
If you fall and it snags on something you might get some serious neck trauma, which is the cause of many long term health issues if mistreated or misdiagnosed, as most of the times it's just hidden behind "concussion".

Helmets that aren't perfectly round are already inherently unsafe, adding objects on top adds a lot to the risk factor. I think there's no safety standard for mounts but Bell and the like have been looking into making their own crash-proof mounts, that's something people should look into - if you want to add objects on top of your bucket, make it so it snaps off the moment it touches anything.
>>
>>935940
>implying helmet mounts aren't universally velcro and rubber bands
gj inventing problem
>>
https://www.rei.com/product/895626/cygolite-metro-750-usb-front-bike-light?cm_mmc=cse_PLA_GOOG-_-8956260001&CAWELAID=120217890001112209&lsft=cm_mmc:cse_PLA_GOOG
>>
I love my Phillips Saferide 70, but I don't think they make them anymore. This guy:
http://swhs.home.xs4all.nl/fiets/index_en.html
has quite a bit to say on the subject.
>>
File: image.jpg (88 KB, 1600x1063) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
88 KB, 1600x1063
Lumina niterider 750, without a doubt. This thing is like a fucking car headlight, people notice you in broad daylight.

Also USB rechargeable
>>
Just bought this off ebay for $12

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/322046358980?euid=28f099b00b8a42a29a1de392d5ddfbdd&cp=1

Did I fuck up?
>>
>>937080
Insanely bright if that lumen rating is accurate. It also says you must supply your own battery and connect it with the wire. So yea, you fucked up.
>>
>>937983
>Insanely bright if that lumen rating is accurate.
It's not. The way the China lamps calculate light output is multiplying the max rated theoretical output of the diodes with the number of diodes. Sometimes adding a fudge number too.
Anyway, you can safely take away 15-30% due to imperfect feeding and optical losses, and _another_ 15-30% after that due to imperfect cooling.

If it does 2500-3500 lumen that's still plent bright, but there's no way it's even close to 6000.
>>
>>937983
Worst case I sell it on craigslist for $20
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.