[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Ultegra
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /n/ - Transportation

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 3
File: Ultegra groupset.jpg (127 KB, 1293x798) Image search: [Google]
Ultegra groupset.jpg
127 KB, 1293x798
Is there a difference between a 2011 and a 2016 Ultegra groupset?
If yes, how significant is that difference?
I have a 2014 Specialized Allez with a Claris groupset and I want to swap it for a 2011 Scott bike with an Ultegra groupset.
I'll give my bike + $$$ difference.
>>
>>935227
Yes, there's a ton of difference. Why wouldn't you spend that cash buying a modern groupset for the bike you have instead? Tiagra 4700 would be an upgrade over Ultegra 6700 in a couple of ways. Mainly the sane cable pull ratio.
>>
Ultegra 6700 (and DA 7900) was garbage. You'd be getting a downgrade, if anything. Shimano fucked a lot of things up with their first attempt at aero cable routing. They fixed their shit with 9000/6800/5800.

Just upgrade your Allez to 105 5800. You can get the groupset for around $400, and decent 11sp wheels like Campy Zondas for $300 or so. It'll feel like a whole new bike.
>>
>>935245
Hey there, thanks for your reply.
I don't think my bike is good enough to invest on upgrades. I got it brand new for $700. I would have to give at least $400 to get a new groupset.
>>
>>935261
So?
Also, 2011 is right in the middle of Scott alu-forks snapping and wheels unfixably going out of true due to lost spoke tension. Wheels were inofficially recalled, dangerous forks stonewalled to much internet brou-haw-haw.
On top of 5700/6700/7900 groups being as shit as >>935259 rightly stated, I wouldn't take that bike as a straight trade. Even less so paying any money inbetween.
>>
>>935266

Fuck I didn't know that about Scott, thanks for the heads up m8.

I have a second choice though:

https://www.evanscycles.com/bianchi-via-nirone-7-xenon-compact-2014-road-bike-EV197949

What if I go for this Bianchi for the exchange?

Would you still advise me to avoid the exchange and go for an upgrade?

Thanks.
>>
>>935271
Campy is nice. Campy Xenon is the Claris of Campagnolo. Would not likely trade.
>>
File: allez compact specs.jpg (183 KB, 640x1180) Image search: [Google]
allez compact specs.jpg
183 KB, 640x1180
>>935287
ok I know you'll call me a faggot, but I just realized that my bike has the 2300 set which is a bit older than the claris.

I did a quick search and actually found my bike in this guy's blog

http://insalita.com/bikes/specialized-allez-bicycle-review/

So, the specs of my bike are those mentioned in the spec sheet on this pic taken from the link above.
>>
>>935297
Ah, the Shimano Campagnolo-style Sora shifter. Not Claris.

Anyway, a 105 5800 gear kit is 180€ at Merlins. A pair of RS21 are two thirds of that. I can't see you're getting trade-in value for that bike making a swap worth it.
>>
>>935302

ok thanks for all your input, and sorry for fucking up and posting the wrong groupset on my bike.

Cheers!
>>
>>935261
The only reason your bike was cheap was that it has cheap components on it. 105 5800 + good wheels makes it into the $2000 version of your bike, but with upgraded wheels.
>>
>>935245
A downgrade is muh grams
>>
>>935261
Frame is fine, get the 5800 groupset, it'll make it better than the Scott. I did a similar upgrade in my commuter and it made a huge difference. The biggest surprise for me was how much lighter it was.
>>
OP, the only reason to go the ultegra over the 105 is to get that there 11 speed. Other than that, you're pretty much looking at muh grams and a little more durability.
If you don't race, there's very little difference between usability from 105 up to dura-ace and you wouldn't miss the extra gear much if you downgraded.

I run dura-ace at the moment and sure, it's very well made when tuned right but the only advantage I've noticed over any of the jap made groupsets is that the reduced weight allows me to maintain a higher cadence with a bit more smoothness.

If you're not racing, anything over 105 is a luxury desu.
>>
>>935400
>OP, the only reason to go the ultegra over the 105 is to get that there 11 speed.

But 5800 105 is 11spd
>>
>>935401
Heh, I genuinely didn't know that.
Even less reason to get ultegra or better for normal pleb biking activities.
The money is better spent on a good frameset and good wheels imo really.

>tfw own an aluxx slr dura-ace giant TCR tho.
I'd still go 105 for my next bike though, but it'd probably be a Noice tourer with 28/32c tyres, discs and a sweet compact 105 group.
>>
>>935400
The Ultegra group we're discussing is 10spd.
>>
OP HERE

I found it guys!

What if I give my bike see specs here:
>>935297
PLUS $600 for a SCULTURA 400

http://www.merida-bikes.com/en_int/bikes/road-fitness/race/2015/scultura-400-2230.html

I think it's a good trade.
>>
>>935413
>money is better spent on a good frameset and good wheels
what he said, the anon who said 11 speed is different might be a bit off. its only 1 ex gear, shifting is identical.

If you buy a decent wheel set you will notice on first launch. I recommend ultegra wheels 6800, they are 10,11 speed compatible and they roll very smooth.

I just serviced my bearings after 5k miles. cup and cone are great. grease b4 they go bad and they will last 4ever.
>>
>>935471
Wire pull is much greater on 11spd than first generation 10spd. So no, shifting is not identical.
First generation Shimano 10spd is the most adjustment and friction sensitive system on the market. And bad enough they ended up changing the wire pull for 4700, breaking compatibility just to fix it - after trying every possible work-around to get 5700/6700/7900 groups working. It didn't work.
>>
>>935473
Wirepull is nothing else but shortening the cable within the range of a fucking spring inside the derailleur, so the concept of shifting hasn't been changed over decades and all what Shimano/Campag/SRAM does is giving us more sprockets but no improvements
>>
>>935517
i think he meant greater as in it pulls more cable
>>
>>935518
anyway, may i missunderstood, but the mainproblem within all the shifting shit is simply that it hasn't been improve over decades and all what the three big does to us is giving us more sprockets and fucking carbon all over the place. i've held the 150 5800 and DA 9000 FD in my hands, and i couldn't spot a single difference, after all the geometry about the cages are slightly different about .02mm, as well as the springtension in the DA derailleur is at least 5% times more.. And thats actually is, thats something that has been already made 20 years ago, and they are still shitting us their turds in our faces and we are gladly to pay alot of money for something that isn't actually worth it technologywise
>>
>>935519
>wat is ultrashift
>wat is shifting ramps
>wat is teeth profile
>wat is hg-x
>wat are e-groups
>wat is wireless
>wat is price adjusted for inflation
Yes, yes, nothing happened in the last thirty years or so. You proved that by looking at two latest generation rear derailleurs and failed to spot a difference.
>>
>>935473
>most adjustment and friction sensitive
WTF?
I roll thousands of miles without adjustment. I had to adjust once when I swapped to different wheels and once when I swapped the front crank to a 105 from a Oval/Praxis

I dont see how shifting can be THAT much different. I tap my lever and I shift?

I plan on keeping the 10 speed forever on my bike. New bike I buy will be full 105 11 speed or ultegra 11 speed
>>
>>935522
Pretty much everything that helps shifting at the back was developed up to 1995. There is no rocket science there and with minimal input you can develop it yourself.
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.