[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why are bikes in japan so expensive? The second hand market is
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /n/ - Transportation

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 11
File: 1457422462029.jpg (939 KB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
1457422462029.jpg
939 KB, 2048x1536
Why are bikes in japan so expensive?
The second hand market is full of bicycles like pic related half eaten by rust for ~70$

Decent ones are $300+ overpriced stuff.
>>
>>933502
because they're highly sought after pretty much everyone needs one and not everyone has one
>>
>>933509
also a good cargo basket is $$$$ in japan, legit dude a fucking basket will sell in an instant
>>
File: bianchi-minivelo8d.jpg (284 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
bianchi-minivelo8d.jpg
284 KB, 600x600
Probably because the bicycles are quality and not cheap chinese shit. Or maybe not - I'm just talking out of my ass.

It seems that the nips have a fine appreciation of mini velos and other nifty folding bicycles.
>>
>>933513
They're cheap Chinese shit. Even in Yowapeda the bike is a piece of Chinese crap.

>>933502
Because you're in a city, and that's how much a used bike costs in the city. Go to the grocery store and buy a bike for 15,000 yen if it bothers you that much.
>>
>>933515
Maybe I'm too much used to cheap bicycles but 15000 yens seems expensive for a think with a single speed and weak wheels.

I was expecting to find the cheap ass bikes for something like 3000 yens.

Also I have find such a bike for free, in the trash of a family whose kid moved to another city.
However I cant use it due to the bike registration system since I don:t have proof I am a legit owner of it.
>>
>>933513
what makes minivelo attractive?
>>
>>933518
What faggot 3rd world country did you grow up in where you expect to buy a bike for $25? Literally how can you even afford to live in Japan if you can't afford 15000 yen for a bike?
>>
>>933521
I am about to spend 25$ for a bike with rust bites.
I wont spend 15000 yen for a single speed bicycle that will keep me worry about weather it would break should I ride more than 20 km with it.

as for how I live, well, I make a budget and stick to it.
>>
File: ito yokado.jpg (1 MB, 2592x1944) Image search: [Google]
ito yokado.jpg
1 MB, 2592x1944
>>933521
just go to ito yokado and pick one out
>>
>>933502
Could it be the general cost of Living perhaps?

I'm using my own city (Edinburgh) in comparison with Tokyo.

http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/compare_cities.jsp?country1=United+Kingdom&country2=Japan&city1=Edinburgh&city2=Tokyo

>Consumer Prices in Tokyo are 18.85% higher than in Edinburgh
>Consumer Prices Including Rent in Tokyo are 27.46% higher than in Edinburgh
>Rent Prices in Tokyo are 47.89% higher than in Edinburgh
>Restaurant Prices in Tokyo are 31.59% lower than in Edinburgh
>Groceries Prices in Tokyo are 55.61% higher than in Edinburgh
>Local Purchasing Power in Tokyo is 14.23% lower than in Edinburgh
>>
>>933530
>Restaurant Prices in Tokyo are 31.59% lower than in Edinburgh
>Groceries Prices in Tokyo are 55.61% higher than in Edinburgh
Eating out in Japan is the best
>>
>>933530
My surprise comes from the abundance and general quality of bicycles. It seems to be a common good however the prices still feel somewhat expensive.

>>933527
I don't know about itoyokado but the one at Don Quijote were overpriced.
>>
Steal one
>>
>>933535
Even if I were to consider stealing one, I couldnt since bicycles have to be registered.

I found one in the trash tho. I kept it for reusing the parts when I'll find a decent priced bicycle.
>>
>>933538

You keep talking about this bike registry, how does that work exactly? Is it enforced by anyone? Do cops stop cyclists randomly and ask them for license and registration? Couldn't you just ignore them?
>>
>>933540
Yeah, they randomly stop cyclists and ask to proof they really own their bicycle.
I think it does not happen that often, however I hear around it happen especially to foreigners with cool bikes or scum looking guys as their are more likely to he stealth.

If you buy a new bike and you dont register there is no penalty

If you have a bike that have been registered but didnt changed it to your name you are treated as if you stole it.

if you ride a bike registered to someone else, they take the bike from you, give it back to the original owner and you have to pay the fees on top of the usual sanction for stealing. I don't know much about it since I didnt do my research (I'll just avoid riding something in a gray zone).

I guess they can be cool if you can prove that you are riding your friend bike and he agreed. Not sure tho.

As for escaping, no idea. But the japanese cops that are in the street are black belt at judo or kendo, and are undergoing an extensive training that the /fit/ maggots would pale looking at. I wouldn't try not to comply.
>>
>>933520
What's even the point of a mini velo?
>>
>>933587
Sell parts to idiots at a drastically raised pricepoint
>>
>>933521
Americans think bikes come from wall Mart and should cost $100 max
>>
>>933513
That Bianchi is hi-ten.
>>
File: yup.jpg (728 KB, 2087x1419) Image search: [Google]
yup.jpg
728 KB, 2087x1419
>>933502
the more, i look atit,, the more i Likeit!
, rust is lite,, and whats that rearHub on the lefthingy?, looks like a generator, butheres already one on the front??
,,weird reartire lock,, basket, whats notolove?
,,, all these bikes look so,, same., not a dropbar in the batch., Slam that Stem!
>>
File: FACET.jpg (364 KB, 1078x808) Image search: [Google]
FACET.jpg
364 KB, 1078x808
beme,, longago,,, transporter.
,, Kangroo hop 2foot wall,,OTShwinn,, ballet leap off curb crossing 3 lanes, HOP center devider, 3 more lanes and up on sidewalk past IHOPancakes,, Zooom past parked Copcar, Cops inside startled and sputter food,"MURFLEESTE!", pastery flys.
,,, i Knew i should just keep going,, had great outs,,, speedup., BUT NO! i had to go tease the sneks.,
, got fixiticket., nolight.,
,,deliver 0.5 pounds hash.
,,, next day, Court house inspection shed,"YUP, thats a Bike light so your clear. but no 3$ Registration sticker."
,YES, there IS a Bicycle REGISTRATION BS!, never inforced,, never noticed., i was avoiding it all these years o/n/,, cagers will rejoice, if they read this far, into, a baconpost?,,, naaa.
>>
>>933784
Jesus christ you´re autistic
>>
File: vp.jpg (613 KB, 1672x1000) Image search: [Google]
vp.jpg
613 KB, 1672x1000
>>
>>933530
>Living in Edinburgh
>Not living in Glasgow

Come on dude, it's like you're not even trying
>>
>>933784
>>933803
I like that bike too.
Shit happens man, you gotta learn from those experiences.
>>
File: peep.jpg (285 KB, 1553x789) Image search: [Google]
peep.jpg
285 KB, 1553x789
>>
>>933803
A kind of strange poetry much like human comunication

what do you call this, /n/?
>>
>>933803

so contemporary , nice
>>
File: bacon bane.jpg (33 KB, 736x150) Image search: [Google]
bacon bane.jpg
33 KB, 736x150
>>935805
first day, huh?
>>
>>933502
same stupid prices here in sweden m8

at least you dont have fucking refugees
>>
>>933502
>the second hand market is full of over priced, barely road worthy crap
That's true everywhere, anon.
>>
>>937109
I ended up buying a bike for ~$60 to a dude who bought it $230 4 years ago. He "never bother cleaning it" so there was a lot of rust and the drive train was stuck in a disgusting melange of rust, dirt and old lube.

I bought some WD40, degreaser, BBQ brush and towel for like less than 10$ and started cleaning it. It's not shiny mint condition but it gives a smooth ride so I'm not afraid of it to break to ride it to places like 30km from home.
The frame paint was OK so the frame didn't suffered from corrosion.

>>937106
Yeah, at least I'm watching the "refugee crisis" from a far away location.
>>
>>933502
Is that $300 for a imported Chinese bike?
>>
>>937264
I don't know. But buying new is overkill for my needs.
>>
>>933502
>Why is the best of X the most expensive?
>What are economics
>>
>>933544

>Japanese cops that are in the street are black belt at judo or kendo, and are undergoing an extensive training that the /fit/ maggots would pale looking at.

Ahahahaha, no. There's a pile of cops at my Judo place and they're fucking terrible.
>>
its an island
>>
The 3.11 earthquake and tsunami put a huge increase in demand for bikes. Since electricity and gas were in shortages.

We started letting the Japanese workers buy gas on American military bases. Just to make sure they could get to work on base.

I even bought bikes for Japanese workers from the base store.

You could not find a bike in a store off base for the restimate of the year.
>>
>>938729

kinda/sorta, I noticed that the spike in demand was a pretty short term kinda deal.

Bikes were always expensive, and I get the feeling that import taxes etc. on cheaper foreign bikes are the main thing that keeps prices so high.
>>
>>938724
Are you sure they're the ones in the street, not in office?
>>
>>933803
>cagers will rejoice, if they read this far, into, a baconpost?,,, naaa.
Truly the hero /o/ deserves.
>>
>>939034

Yes, these are street cops. They're really nothing special. FFS like a year ago they even had two chucklefucks who managed to shoot out a window at their station.
>>
File: focus.jpg (522 KB, 1233x1341) Image search: [Google]
focus.jpg
522 KB, 1233x1341
>>933803
>Bike light so your clear
>>933803
,5,,, months,,,,,, LATER!
,warm summers eve,, Lanon at the door smellng SweEEEEEeeet!,, behind her a lurking shadow>"Mister RYDER? BACON RYDER?",,
,, whyes,, Officr, Wadup?
,"YOUR UNDER ARREST!"
,,waaaa?, The bank Has NO proof!,
,"YOUR under arrest for no bike license!"
,,,naaaa, i did that,, call your boss,,.
,"hands behind your back."
,,OOOoooo MOMA!,, im going to the BIGhouse!, up the river withouta paddle,,nohope of redemtin formy CRIMESSSSSSSsssss! WAILLLL!
,"uhh Mister Ryder, please be quiet.?"
,,AAARGH, butits all over now,, the GIGS up, Hard TIME justly deserved,,, the tag of Criminal hung around my neck in SHAMEEEEEEE OOOO OOOOH!,,
,"Please be quiet?" "Please?"
,,, HAY!, you ARRESTED me for,,, NO BIKE LICENSE!?!?!, HAAA HAAAAAHAHAHAHAAA!!
, bythe time geto jail, lawyer is already reaming chief,, chief hears comotion as i enter, DRAMA QUEEN!
,,can i brush my teeth for the photo?,, gota look good for the Press., comb?, Gel? , Powder?
,"Mister Ryder, get/out/"
>>
>>933530
As an Australian who just moved to Edinburgh I find that new bikes here are much more expensive than Australia. Second hand bikes arent too bad. There are plenty of gumtree special's out there for cheap.

But god damn does the weather here fuck up your bike. Chains wear out super quick, rust on everything. And the roads are terrible for bikes. At least the buses know how to drive around riders.
>>
>>933784
that hub thingy is a brake, bacon. roller or drum brake, i cant recall the distinction.
>>
File: 1458557231841.jpg (327 KB, 1488x1600) Image search: [Google]
1458557231841.jpg
327 KB, 1488x1600
It's because of this country's wack black hole economy.

Also, you don't want a cheap Japper bike anyway. It's cheap crap made out of lead and a maximum speed that would boost a turtle's confidence.

And have you seen the way Japanese people ride bikes? Seat all the way down, weaving back and forth because their legs are so bent, umbrella in one hand, lit cigarette and phone in the other. The few people who have multiple gears ride everywhere in their granny gears Then the schoolkids ride in huge packs stretching across the entire sidewalk, and you can't bike in the road because those same shitheads also bike down the wrong side of the road.

I had to replace a whole front fork a couple years ago after some shithead swerved into me head-on. It's like, war's over, guys, didn't you get the message? Kamikaze-ing your mamachari into me isn't going to bring honor to grorious Nippon.

The country roads would be brilliant for cycling but they're only about a car and a half wide for two-way traffic and often really busy. Absolutely terrifying.

Japan is a wasteland for people who love riding. I had to ride 50km a week a couple years ago just to get to work and back and between Tojo's toadies, homocidal drivers, wrong-side wankers, student blockades, and other infuriating circumstances, it was completely miserable and now I rarely ride for pleasure anymore.

It's a wasteland, man.
>>
>>945736

Have you tried asking people in the area which roads aren't busy? That works wonders for me.
>>
File: DSCF0553small.jpg (4 MB, 4018x2998) Image search: [Google]
DSCF0553small.jpg
4 MB, 4018x2998
That's a great idea, but right now I live in Gifu city so there isn't really anywhere rural nearby because of Nagoya's icky icky sprawl. Also I don't know anyone else here who goes out and rides for fun. I've seen some people out doing insane mountain climbs but I'm definitely not hardcore enough to bike 30km out of the city and then up a mountain.

A couple years back I lived in Ogaki and there were some really nice rural neighborhoods I liked to cruise through in early morning or at night when the traffic was reduced, pic related.
>>
>>945844

Even in areas like Tokyo, there are quite a few roads that aren't very heavily used. I guarantee there's a few good routes nearby.
>>
>>943780
i chuckled desu
Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.