[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Cruiser Longboards
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /n/ - Transportation

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 1
What's your take on cruiser longboards as transportation? I became interested in it, however there are a few people interested in it my town.
inb4 I'm not a hiptser and don't want to look like one
>>
>>933209
They are always tripping all over the bike path and causing pileups. Please don't do this.
>>
Longboards are fun to bomb hills on, and nothing else.
>>
>>933215
yeah, sure, because I don't want to be a nuisance to other people
>>933216
can you give some more details? what's wrong in using them as a transport?
>>
>>933225
If you enjoy having one leg bigger than the other sure
>>
>>933232
I workout I think it'll be ok
>>
how many people are there in nyc using longboards/pennies?
>>
>>933209

sounds like your're dumb
>>
>>933209
The real question you have to ask to yourself is why would i rather use a longboard than something else like a scooter, rollerblades, a unicycle or a citybike/folding bike ?

It's, afterall, a personal choice, if you prefer the longboard because you think it's fun and cycling is boring then use a longboard.

Personally i'd rather use a bicyle. If it's adapted to your commuting it'll be faster, more comfortable, and basically better in any other practical aspect.
>>
>>933209
I don't understand skateboards as transportation. It seems like a ton of effort for barely any increase in speed compared to just walking. It doesn't help you actually carry anything extra. You can't lock it up when you get to your destination.

What exactly is the appeal over biking or walking?
>>
>>933209
http://www.dumpert.nl/mediabase/6735291/74fc7b22/longboarder_knuffelt_auto.html

>no brakes
>>
>>936244
longboards are autistic as hell for commuting but you can comfortably cruise at 10+ mph and you don't have to lock them up because you can carry them
>>
>>936262
you can comfortably cruise at 10+ mph
I find that hard to believe. I searched around for some more info on this but I didn't find any real information.

>you can carry them
You can, but why would you want to?
>>
>>936245
http://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/skateboarder-dies-in-collision-with-metro-bus-in-u-district/

>no brakes
>>
>>936263
>I find that hard to believe.
I don't know what to tell you. if you're reasonably fit and know how to skate you can easily do 8+ on a longboard with no practice. I will say that boards of all kinds are exceptionally shitty for going up hills, and if you regularly have to go up reasonably long hills you probably shouldn't consider one.

>You can, but why would you want to?
you don't want to, you have to. you don't "want to" lock up a bike or park your car, it's something you do so you have it when it's time to go home
>>
>>936278
>if you're reasonably fit and know how to skate you can easily do 8+ on a longboard with no practice
What happened to 10+? How are you measuring this? Where is the evidence?

>you don't "want to" lock up a bike or park your car
I would rather do that than carry it around. Same is true for a skateboard.
>>
>>933209

just get a cruiser. much cooler looking, much easier to carry.
>>
>>936284
>What happened to 10+? How are you measuring this? Where is the evidence?
well, I've been skating for years and you're a bewildered anon on a siberian calligraphy imageboard, so I'm still doing 10+ for as long as I want. I don't need evidence because I don't have to prove shit to you, you asked a question and I answered it

>I would rather do that than carry it around. Same is true for a skateboard.
ok? why don't you just bring it inside and put it in your cubicle or in a locker?
>>
>>936245
>knuffelt
kawaii!
>>
>>936308
>you asked a question and I answered it
You might as well have said you can go 150mph because your answer carries as much weight either way.

>why don't you just bring it inside and put it in your cubicle or in a locker?
Why don't I ride a bike so I can go faster, hold more, and secure it outside? I get the added bonus of not looking like a teenager.
>>
I ride an 80's reissue of a jason jessee deck for transportation2-4 times a week when not walking, cycling, or driving. I like it better than a long board because its more easily maneuverable than a cruiser and you can do kick turns on tight corners. I also enjoy still being able to bust out tricks when I want to have a little extra fun. I wouldn't recommend long boards for transportation. When you get to where your going they are really heavy and bulky to carry around, harder to stash at work, and really arent good for transportation. They are designed for hill bombing, which they are fucking great for. Get a cruiser, penny, or 80's reissue for trasnpo if your hell bent on riding a board OP. Or a road bike if you want some fast, but slightly less fun.
>>
>>936392
>You might as well have said you can go 150mph because your answer carries as much weight either way.
don't give a fuck, it's clear that you've never been on a skateboard of any kind and couldn't cover 10 feet in an hour

>Why don't I ride a bike so I can go faster, hold more,
>I get the added bonus of not looking like a teenager.
why don't you get a car so you can go faster, hold more, and not look like a teenager?

>and secure it outside?
don't think so lad
>>
>>936440
>>936392
>>936308
>>936284
>>936278
>>936263
>>936263
>>936262
>>936244

This is the face of autism, both of you are retarded as fuck.
>>
>>936442
le autist le retard xD
suck my dick
>>
>>933209
Long boards and Penny boards are the most common mode of transport on my college campus in SoCal. I ride a bike, never learned the skateboard.
>>
You've all got me curious about pennies. I used to skateboard for transportation in college but completely abandoned it for biking in recent years- too many advantages to list- but what's the deal with pennies?
>>
>>933225
They are really fun and efficient for bombing hills, but they are slow as Fuck when it comes to transportation. Bikes are better for that
>>
>>936623
a skateboard:
>a tail and a nose
>moderate wheelbase
>hard, small wheels
>narrow trucks

a longboard:
>no tail or nose
>long wheelbase
>soft, big wheels
>wide trucks

this means that longboards are capable of going much faster, turning better at speed, and are much more stable at speed, while they are not maneuverable at all at normal speeds and can't do any tricks

a cruiser is somewhat of a hybrid
>a tail but no nose
>skateboard-esque wheelbase
>soft, medium sized wheels
>skateboard-width trucks

it's basically a skateboard with different wheels and a different shaped deck. you could just put soft wheels on a skateboard if you wanted to, but you'd probably need riser pads to avoid the wheels hitting the deck when you turn. I used a cruiser to get around in college for a while, they're supremely useful if you're going distances too far to want to walk but too short to warrant taking a bike, or if you don't have anywhere to lock up your bike, or if there's a lot of foot traffic and you can't ride.

penny boards are something of a meme, no respectable skater would be caught dead on one. the idea is that they're much more portable and maneuverable, and that's true, but I wouldn't use them for anything other than riding around the inside of a mall. they have a short wheelbase and narrow trucks so that they can turn very tightly, but they're also very unstable at even cruising speeds, you can't ollie and you can barely kickturn, all of which are important maneuvers for transit
>>
>>936440
I rode a skateboard when I was a kid but I stopped because skateboards are children's toys. I also do own a car. I have also been securing my bike outside for years and it has never been stolen because I live in a civilized low-crime area.
>>
>>936667
>I rode a skateboard when I was a kid
you must not have been very good at it
>but I stopped because skateboards are children's toys.
(le hat man)
>I also do own a car.
then why do you waste your time and energy on a children's toy like a bicycle?
>I have also been securing my bike outside for years
I don't think so tim
>and it has never been stolen because I live in a civilized low-crime area.
whatever, while you're wasting your time locking up your bike, I'll be riding straight inside and stealing your girlfriend with a kickflip
>>
>>936263
If your going 10mph you have weak legs
>>
>>933209
>What's your take on cruiser longboards as transportation? I became interested in it, however there are a few people interested in it my town.
trying to use any kind of skateboard as actual 'transportation' strikes me as rather silly, it's about the worst method with wheels you could choose.
in an urban setting, a folding bicycle would be way more practical (even tho many might still consider a bicycle a toy)

>inb4 I'm not a hiptser and don't want to look like one
if you are on a longboard in the middle of a flat urban area, you gonna look like a hipster
longboards are for taking joyrides down big hills. they're not for actually going anywhere.
>>
>>933209
>I'm not a hiptser and don't want to look like one

probably dont get a longboard then
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.