[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why does everyone on /n/ ride with gloves? Do you really crash
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /n/ - Transportation

Thread replies: 73
Thread images: 19
Why does everyone on /n/ ride with gloves? Do you really crash that often? If so, maybe you should just drive instead. Honestly, I ride every day and barely ever crash.

I'm shaking my head with disdain right now.
>>
It's still cold here so I ride with full gloves just to keep my hands warm.

When it gets warmer I switch to the fingerless gloves because my hands start aching after around 10kms from rubbing on the hoods sometimes. Sometimes not though. No idea what the problem is there.

But yeah: sometimes my hands hurt so I wear gloves. If I don't wear gloves my hands are sometimes fine and sometimes not. So I prefer the gloves.
>>
>>932572
I live in a warm climate and have calysts on both of my hands in between my thumb and index fingers from the hoodz
>>
>>932578

The struggle is real.
>>
>>932569
OP, you are an ignorant buffoon.

There are lots of reasons to wear gloves. One of my reasons is to sun protection.
>>
>>932578
>calysts
>>
>>932582
If you cannot deal with the sun your ancestors should not have left Europe. Don't go where you don't belong.
>>
>>932583
English is my second language.
>>
File: giant_hands2.jpg (23 KB, 283x271) Image search: [Google]
giant_hands2.jpg
23 KB, 283x271
average /n/ poster
>>
Recommend some good fingerless gloves for road biking. They have to look good and be of good quality.

Most of the shit you get around here looks like it was made for MTBers with all sorts of X-TREME protector things and whatnot.

Currently I am using pic related since it is cold.
>>
Damn dude, you must be pretty hardcore to not ride with gloves. Have you told your mom yet?
>>
>>932594
I can even ride with no hands
>>
>>932597

Kek, liar! You have to have your hands on the handlebars or the bike falls over
>>
File: op.jpg (41 KB, 640x404) Image search: [Google]
op.jpg
41 KB, 640x404
>>932569
>he crashes often enough to 'barely crash at all'
Apparently your bike handling skills suck dick if you crash that much; maybe you should have your mommy drive you instead.
The rest of /n/ doesn't crash often enough to even mention, so really it's just you.
>he thinks gloves are just for crash protection
That's because, again, you apparently suck so much dick at riding a bike that all your thinking is geared in that direction.

I think you should sell your bike and just take the bus or have your mom drive you where you need to go. Keep your helmet though and be sure to wear it at all times except when you're sleeping. You're likely to hurt yourself just walking.

Pic related, it's a representation of the OP.
>>
>>932593
Giro Bravo
>>
>riding single track
>get snagged a little on thorny vine
>ZING!
>webbing between fingers gets shredded
>Ok, I'll wear gloves
>>
>>932622
>being gay
>>
>>932593

giro bravo if you're poor, assos summer if you're not
>>
>>932587
For the record: https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/callus
>>
Gloves are useful for wiping residual snot after shooting a snot rocket.
>>
>>932673
And sweat from face. Most road cycling gloves have an absorbent area above and behind the thumb section for this very purpouse.
Anyone who hasn't tried riding with gloves yet should.
>>
>>932569
enjoy having your those fingers scraped off when you crash anon
>>
>>932680
I don't wear gloves usually, but I do when I race, no matter how hot it is.
This paid off yesterday when I got caught up in my first crash yesterday in a RR. My race gloves are full finger with no padding so they are minimally invasive. The guy who ended up next to me on the ground was complaining about how this one race where he decided not to wear gloves is the one he goes down in.
>>
>>932677
Most of the high-end leather ones, like Brancale and De Marchi, don't have the snot wiping area, which is bizarre. The Giro LX does, but they aren't made particularly well.

The Giro LTZ II are nice minimalist gloves.
>>
>>932709
>high end
>leather
You have it confused with hipster garbage, senpai
>>
>>932718
hipsters wear wool knit hobo gloves
>>
File: OWf2zkq.gif (743 KB, 320x180) Image search: [Google]
OWf2zkq.gif
743 KB, 320x180
If you cannot deal with the elements you should sell your bike and start going to spin class
>>
>>932569
Because I am past the age when I was so insecure as a man, that I needed to prove left/right/center how much of a badass I am.
>>
I ride with gloves because my hands sweat a lot.
>>
File: Img_9437.jpg (89 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
Img_9437.jpg
89 KB, 640x480
>>933127
>>
>>933105
yeah bro naked 24/7/365 or you may as well get that pussy installed
>>
File: gloves.jpg (407 KB, 1500x1500) Image search: [Google]
gloves.jpg
407 KB, 1500x1500
>>932569

Because it's cold as fuck? Did you ever think of that?
>>
>>932569
The reason is not the crash, rubbing is. My thumbs would bleed after a good day long ride.
>>
Gloves also provide cushioning and vibration damping while gripping the handlebars.
>>
>>933257
Do you put a protective sheath inside your vagina from the vibrator you use?
>>
I wear gloves to prevent from sweating all over my campy hoods/clean ass bar tape. There's nothing wrong with not wanting sticky hoods and sweat on your bar tape that fucks up your handlebars.
>>
File: 1423830228324 (1).jpg (37 KB, 340x565) Image search: [Google]
1423830228324 (1).jpg
37 KB, 340x565
>>933477
Why do you sweat so much? Are you fat?

Why can't you just replace bar tape? Are you poor?
>>
File: trogdor01.jpg (47 KB, 600x647) Image search: [Google]
trogdor01.jpg
47 KB, 600x647
>>933358
Thats a bad analogy. The motor in all (most?) vibrators is covered in a protective latex, plastic or whatever. You don't put the motor directly onto your body.
>>
Same reason as the helmet: it's still kinda chilly, especially at night!
>>
File: 1457557953569.jpg (46 KB, 599x785) Image search: [Google]
1457557953569.jpg
46 KB, 599x785
>waahhh it's too cold

>wahhh it's too sunny

Make up your fucking mind glovefags - you can't have it BOTH ways
>>
>>932569
I didn't when I started and my hands were fucking sore.

Got thick gloves for when it's really cold too.
>>
>>932569
>not wanting the full homo experience
>>
>>933558
>Not being christian
>>
File: bacon.jpg (113 KB, 898x852) Image search: [Google]
bacon.jpg
113 KB, 898x852
Everyone on /n/ rides with gloves because BaconRider rides with gloves.
>>
>>933501
>There is only 1 climate across the entire earth
>>
File: _71913653_020373686-1.jpg (22 KB, 660x371) Image search: [Google]
_71913653_020373686-1.jpg
22 KB, 660x371
>>934728
>He lives in a climate that he can't handle.
>>
I don't wear gloves because I hate the feel of gloves, more than a helmet and the fact my brain isn't in my hands. Also the one time I did crash, I balled up instead of reaching out with my arms.
>>
>implying cyclists wear gloves as crash protection
Are you retarded?

>>932593
Giro Bravo. Comes in finger and fingerless versions.
>>
>>932709
Leather gloves are shit.
>>
>>933501
>it can't be cold and sunny
Full retard.
>>
>>934907
I've had two pairs of bravo's that failed at the same spot. the cloth on the inside holding the large gel for the meaty part of your palms rips easily. Looking for something more durable.
>>
File: yellowKitchen.jpg (17 KB, 300x232) Image search: [Google]
yellowKitchen.jpg
17 KB, 300x232
>>
gloves are pleb tier, real men don't need em
>>
>>934941
Hey Tyler Durden, how's your cycling club?
>>
I ride with gloves because I don't have enough space on my handlebars to wrap them or put grips on them, so gloves it is
>>
>>935105
Post a pic of your bars
>>
i've discovered that leather handlebar tape gets slippery as fuck so gloves are kind of necessary for grip
>>
>>935105
>tite gaps
>>
Actually gloves are mostly used to cushion your palms and protect them from rubbing against your handlebars. If you ride a lot you might be familiar with the caluses and strains you can get after long rides.

>inb4 some people don't feel it because they sit on their crotch (thus the bike impotence meme) and/or ride with high risers like a bunch of total plebs that they are
>>
>>936318
Try actually putting in effort pedaling to support your weight with your legs, supporting your body weight with your hands, silly anon that is ridiculous. You're supposed to keep a loose grip on your bars. If there's much weight on your hands you will fatigue your entire upper body.

Most pros train without gloves.
>>
File: IMAG0222.jpg (2 MB, 4224x2368) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0222.jpg
2 MB, 4224x2368
>>935107
>>935128

12 inches wide at the bars. Bar ends are ~4 inches. I might wrap the left side but the right side would be far more difficult/messy because of the brake and the shifter, and trying to get an MTB style grip to work on these would be even worse
>>
>>936343

can you elaborate your setup ?
whats the benefits ?

isn't handly pretty weird ?
>>
>>936367
in the beginning, part of it was just me experimenting with different handlebar and hand positions and after about a year of trying different things almost every month, ive ended up with this.

I like that it's "no-nonsense". i can shift AND brake without moving my right hand from the bar end, and since my left hand doesnt have any duties, im usually free to grab my water bottle or little things like that without giving up control of any function of my bike. I dont have a front derailleur nor do i have a rear brake. I took them off because i never used them. My FD broke and i only rode on the big ring for about a month and just got used to it, so i had the other two taken off and now i run a 48 tooth up front and a standard 8 speed mtb cassette in the back. Front brake works so well that i found myself never using the rear brake, so that came off as well. I've also removed all the stickers and decals and stuff from the frame and fork but that's mostly just a personal/aesthetic preference

As far as handling goes, It feels like the bars are JUST at the bottom limit where handling would become too "squirrelly" if i went any shorter, but i managed to get lucky and find a sweet spot that works with how i ride. It feels very nimble and aggressive, and i rarely have issues with sprints, climbs, or cornering.

The ONLY thing that i would change is just getting that brake lever mount arm (?) fixed, but as long as im not pulling sideways on the brake lever, it's something that hardly ever gives me trouble during a ride.

it's a fun bike
>>
>>932569
I typically only wear gloves when it's cold, or when I expect to be riding on dangerous terrain.
>>
>>936343
I could see myself doing something like this someday.
>>
File: 1437788999617.png (457 KB, 3292x3264) Image search: [Google]
1437788999617.png
457 KB, 3292x3264
>>936419
>front break lever is literally broken
>on the verge of snapping off under hard braking in an emergency
>lets remove the rear brake

Also put some mtb grips on there. I don't see at all why it wouldn't work, you just need to cut them down some. Would vastly improve ergonomics, regardless of whether you wear gloves or nay.
>>
>>936526
[spoiler]the rear one was broken too[/spoiler]

also i live in an area where the prospect of me ever having to rip on the brake lever hard and fast enough to run the risk of ripping it off is a situation i'll probably never find myself in, so it's not something i worry about. I can get a new brake lever easy peasy the next time i go to my bike shop

>>936491
it's nice, a lot less cluttered than it was before.
>>
>>932593
German Army gloves. No, really. I own a pair because the smallest size was being sold for like 4€ and I just thought "why not"

https://www.varusteleka.com/en/product/bw-combat-gloves-flecktarn-surplus/7711

They're fine. Plus military gear in general is built to much higher standards than sport shit.
>>
File: 1351759220542.gif (414 KB, 480x270) Image search: [Google]
1351759220542.gif
414 KB, 480x270
>>936537
>military gear in general is built to much higher standards than sport shit.
>>
File: 0ac.gif (166 KB, 240x180) Image search: [Google]
0ac.gif
166 KB, 240x180
>>936537
>>
>>936537
>I own a pair because the smallest size was being sold for like 4€ and I just thought "why not"
I forgot that nikolasv moved to greece
>>
>>932572
>Pluralising unit symbols
Please re-read the SI Brochure.
>>
File: amh.jpg (30 KB, 340x346) Image search: [Google]
amh.jpg
30 KB, 340x346
Makes me feel cooler, so I ride better, faggot
Thread replies: 73
Thread images: 19

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.