[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why must the "metro" in LA be so shitty? I am all
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /n/ - Transportation

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 5
File: fc0vbpu.jpg (59 KB, 1632x918) Image search: [Google]
fc0vbpu.jpg
59 KB, 1632x918
Why must the "metro" in LA be so shitty?

I am all aboard going on my long commute to work this way but the steel seats with nasty used up padding, the stifled disgusting air, it's borderline unsanitary conditions.

Last week they had 20 minute waits between lines, their reasoning was they're adding wi-fi ??? How about you get some new real trains...

I dont know maybe it's just the lighting and the disgusting seats...I'm so sick of feeling like it's late 80s every time I board one. The convenience is great though.

Is it better in most other cities outside of California?
>>
There is literally nothing wrong with using rolling stock from the 80s.
>>
>gigantic sprawling city and suburbs of 18 million people
>metro has two too short lines
lel
>>
>>930432
>LAMTA
>dirty
LA is pretty shitty when it comes public transit but I've never had any problems with sanitation on the LRT and subway lines.

>I am all aboard going on my long commute to work this way but the steel seats with nasty used up padding
Rough seats are used everywhere because padded seats tend to be vandalised and they are massive bacteria magnets (just look at the reports on the seats that used to be used by BART in SF if you want an example of the problems with 'comfy' seats).

>Last week they had 20 minute waits between lines, their reasoning was they're adding wi-fi ??? How about you get some new real trains...
You sure that was the reason? They're on the verge of opening the Gold Line extension and that has been causing some delays.

>complaining about trains from the 80s
Those are practically new by rolling stock standards. Rolling stock can last upwards of 50 years in many cases.
>>
>>930432
>Bitches about rolling stock being from the 80's
>The vast majority of Amtrak's passenger stock is from the 70's.
>>
Everyone knows teolly cars are the best rail
>>
How much does a ticket cost ? Im from germany and driving trains is so fucking expensive .
>>
American trains are in terrible shape. Even in Canada most inner city rail lines use trains up to a decade old.
>>
>>930432
>borderline unsanitary
>borderline
If you had any idea you'd never sit in one of those seats again.
>>
>>930432
>Last week they had 20 minute waits between lines
What does this mean?

What are headways like in LA?
>>
they can't afford to clean it because they have to save up for the pension for lady that sits in the turn style booth and texts all day on her cell phone

her pension is like 600,000 a year
>>
>>932163
Most la metro stations are unmanned. I think you mean BART.
>>
get a motorcycle if you want immediate and on time transport in la
>>
>live 45 minutes from LA, never realized we had subways until I was like 19 years old.
>never been on a subway before, head down to take a ride into LA to explore the city.
>hop on subway in North Hollywood, on the way to downtown
>deafening noise of the subway, horror movie-tier noises
>think it's kinda fun, been playing resident evil recently.
>smell something awful, turn around
>there's a homeless man missing his nose, clearly cut off years ago.
>>
>>932410
heck
>>
File: hqdefault[1].jpg (15 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault[1].jpg
15 KB, 480x360
Cloth seats are disgusting because so many dirty filthy disgusting lardasses, pissed pants drunks and homeless people ride the buses and trains. Not to mention most of the seats are hard and uncomfortable.

Since 2011 Santa Monica has used only leather seats on their buses, pic related. They are comfortable shaped, easy on your ass and back, non absorbent and easily cleaned. I can bring with a sanitizing wipe and quickly wipe off the seat myself before sitting down.
>>
>>933934
autism: the post
>>
File: 9967gfdfy.png (2 MB, 1483x679) Image search: [Google]
9967gfdfy.png
2 MB, 1483x679
>>933934
though they still have 99 New flyers with hard cloth covered seats.
>>
>>933935
Ever sit in a bus seat, office chair, etc. and suddenly find yourself soaking in someone else's sweat and body odor? Shits disgusting.
>>
>>933937
Yes. Once I sat on a bench in a bus and noticed wet feeling. I jumped off but it was too late. A slight smell of pee followed me that day. I was angry as fuck. For a long time I tested the seats if they're dry with my hand before sitting on them.

Shits disgusting.
>>
>>930432

>borderline unsanitary conditions

You're describing the entire city of LA, not just the metro...

That being said I'm excited for expo, the 720 is a complete fucking disaster
>>
File: 348s.jpg (28 KB, 348x348) Image search: [Google]
348s.jpg
28 KB, 348x348
Lol, same deal with the Sacramento Regional Transit. Our lite-rail is decades old and grimy as fuck. It barely runs on time and when it rains you know there's a 50/50 chance it's gonna break down. The buses are rockin' the cloth seats that are stained with food, drinks, and probably some other mystery fluid that's best not to think about. When we did get a small handful of new buses last Autumn, they were already dirty within the first week.

Oh, and they keep trying to raise the fare prices all the time.
>>
>>935129
my germophobia wouldnt allow me to ride on something like that with that many people on it.
>>
>>935138
same
>>
>>933934
While I don't usually wipe the seat (at most I just put newspaper on top of it and call it a day), I do share the sentiment. PVC (or what you call as "fake leather")-cushioned seat would be more comfortable than steel/plastic bucket seat while not as disgusting as linen/cloth-cushioned seat
>>
>>930442

Irrelevant but interesting

We've still got stuff from the 30s running. Shame they refitted the insides though.

The isle of wight railway uses 1930s london underground rolling stock.
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.