[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why can't America into public transit? http://nypost.c
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /n/ - Transportation

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 7
File: Gangwaytrain.png (55 KB, 300x200) Image search: [Google]
Gangwaytrain.png
55 KB, 300x200
Why can't America into public transit?

http://nypost.com/2016/01/25/mta-to-test-open-gangway-trains-to-give-passengers-more-room/

The MTA is FINALLY thinking about getting rid of the archaic subway cars and replacing them with opengangway trains, the trains the rest of the world has been using for decades.

The first test run will be 2020
>>
File: subwaypower.190_cityroom.jpg (13 KB, 190x240) Image search: [Google]
subwaypower.190_cityroom.jpg
13 KB, 190x240
>>926054
More room inside the trains is great, but if they could actually get the spacing between trains to be at the officially published intervals instead of bunching up and then long gaps, crowding wouldn't be such a big deal

>no trains for 11 minutes
>all of a sudden, 2 trains in a row
>everyone tries to get on the first train
>oops it's crowded as fuck!

About the only line where the open gangways are a bigger deal than CBTC is the 6, where the trains are practically back to back and every single one is packed to capacity. But the 2nd avenue subway will be opened before any new rolling stock comes along and that will probably alleviate the worst of the crowding and bring it down to normal-tier rush hour density.
>>
>>926054
It's huge
Fuel is cheap as fuck .
Cities do have adequate PT
>>
>>926054
cause: public transit = communism
>>
I've seen people echoing the same arguments

>If a homeless person is smelly, now the smell will travel!

>If people are playing music/doing something really noisy, the sound will travel!
>>
File: r143 (1).jpg (28 KB, 550x412) Image search: [Google]
r143 (1).jpg
28 KB, 550x412
Also unrelated to open gangway cars, but I'm curious that the MTA is actually considering putting color bullets back on the front of the subway car. Right now the newest subway cars look like pic related. If there's no American flag on the front of the train, how will everybody know how patriotic the MTA is?

The first new car fleet to have the flag on front were the R143s, which were built in 2001 and started delivery in 2002. I have no idea if 9/11 directly caused this or what.
>>
File: 071709herculesNYPD.jpg (127 KB, 1200x688) Image search: [Google]
071709herculesNYPD.jpg
127 KB, 1200x688
>>926077
>I have no idea if 9/11 directly caused this or what.
Yes, 9/11 directly caused this.

I was pretty weirded out by it at first, but then as the dystopian nightmare film evolved, I got pretty used to it and started to even like the flags just as I am now comforted by the presence of men in Waffen-SS helmets keeping me safe. Please officer, search my bag for any suspicious objects. If you see something, say something.
>>
>>926074
How the fuck does a homeless person afford train fare, especially when there's a station involved? They're not just running these on the street, are they?
>>
File: homeless.jpg (86 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
homeless.jpg
86 KB, 640x480
>>926085
Some people just farebeat and enter through the emergency exit doors (I've seen this at my home station). Some may be able to scrounge up enough change to buy a ride (either by begging or recycling bottles or something like that). My friend actually bought MetroCards for a homeless couple earlier this month so they could go in and out of the system. Also, some homeless people will stay in the subway system for long periods of time, carrying lots of stuff with them (like pic related for example), so they may not be the entering the system so often.

Fun fact, the E train in particular is a common route for the homeless, because it stays underground for its entire route (avoiding the cold), it runs 24/7 and passengers are generally allowed to stay on the train at both terminals. It's the only NYC subway line to have all 3 of these traits. One Saturday morning a couple of winters ago I rode the E fairly early (around 8:30 AM) from its terminal and 2 or 3 cars were filled with sleeping homeless people - maybe 10 in total?
>>
>>926054
Because the distances are huge and unlike China and Russia, it had cheap fuel for decades, so having a car or taking a plane were either less expensive or less time-consuming.
there is proper PT withing the cities though, but even that could be developped betterr but id not due to the people who couldl affort PT already having a car.
>>
>>926077
>how will everybody know how patriotic the MTA is
Why do so many US agencies do this? I can't believe 7/11 is the only reason they do this shit. The system basically didn't change at all following the WTC attacks (security got raised for what? A mere two weeks before going back to normal? Christ, you probably could still recreate Pelham 123 if you wanted to).

It's even weirder if you consider that the newer rolling stock is basically a bunch of European and Asian designed components that were bolted together by blue collars in northern NY.
>>
>>926054
Open gangway is a completely secondary thing. Having more train cars and better timing is many times more important for relieving overcrowding.
>>
>>926157
St. Louis Car and Budd no longer exist. Gotta depend on Bombardier and Kawasaki.
>>
>>926356
Exactly. The flags are completely illogical.
>>
>>926149
We're not talking intercity here, we're talking urban infrastructure.
>>
File: images.jpg (12 KB, 259x194) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
12 KB, 259x194
Psst - Pretty sure it's copyrighted guys...
>>
>>926149
Just like in the rest of the world, most population in the US is concentrated in relatively dense urban areas. That massive outback in the midwest? Just don't go there. They'll be fine with car transport.

The transit culture and lack thereof is not a necessity, but a deliberate value choice.
>>
>>927444
Sorta. Midwest cities East of the Mississippi have/had at least a form of transit culture. Chicago and (in a way) Cleaveland comes to mind. Cities west of the Mississippi are more of a car hell, even though they ironically have strong freight rail systems. Cities like Cedar Rapids or Des Moines suck without car, though some cities like Mpls-St.Paul are starting to come around.
>>
File: 1454681865596.jpg (24 KB, 311x295) Image search: [Google]
1454681865596.jpg
24 KB, 311x295
>>926054

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Motors_Streetcar_Conspiracy

Big oil would never allow it. GM single-handedly orchestrated the genocide of every streetcar system in America. Had they not, we'd probably be light years ahead of you eurocucks by now.
>>
>>927444
Hell of a big difference in density between say, Barcelona vs. Houston or Rotterdam vs Denver. They're both huge metro areas but even poor people in the US live in single family homes in big Southern and Western cities.
>>
>>926085
They jump the gate or bum a ride from someone. It only cost 2.75 per ride
>>
>>926157
> newer rolling stock is basically a bunch of European and Asian designed components that were bolted together by blue collars in northern NY
Source
>>
Because it might bring niggers into my precious little subdivision, that's why.

Every major public transit project has been scuttled by "concerned [white] citizens" who were driven mostly by racism.

See also: "Why doesn't L.A. subway go all the way through Wilshire?," the entire Boston public transit system
>>
>>929719
Manhattan has public transit and they are doing fine for the most part. Look at the Upper East Side.
>>
>>929724
It's unfounded fear, but these retards keep opposing public transit because "what if niggers."

New York is different since it got subways before there were significant black population in the city proper.
>>
>>929710
For the past 30 the majority of the MTA's subway and railroad cars have been made Bombardier (Canadian), Alstom (French) and Kawasaki (Japanese). They're assembled at the companies' plants located upstate. So the anon you replied to finds it ironic that these foreign-designed cars bare the American flag so prominently.

Up to the 1980s NYC Subway cars were generally American made but many of those companies that produced those cars are gone now.
>>
>>929804
slap a murrican flag on it and pretend it's murrican,
kek
>>
>>927813
The funny part is that the US Government has tried investing in public transportation multiple times since, and almost always it fails and becomes some highway project.

Buses wouldn't even be that bad if they actually made systems that were effective. Make bus stops that are actual stations instead of retarded signposts, have a digital timetable at each that displays updated ETAs for buses, and make it so that a bus arrives at a station every 10-15 minutes. If you're in a city with more people, you could also incorporate articulated buses to hold more people.

But I think urban sprawl, low gas prices and relative ease of obtaining a car (pass a test that's not too difficult, get a car that could cost as low as $1,000 and still be in fair condition) have made it so that it is very difficult for public transportation to compete with it. It doesn't help that suburban communities usually don't fund their own public transportation programs as well as large urban cities do, and so budget limitations leave it so that you have crappy bus systems that lead people to decide a car is much better and more convenient than sitting in some half-covered shack for half an hour for a bus to arrive.

We're going to see a full system of autonomous cars before we see a renaissance of public transportation in America. Honestly, I don't see that renaissance even happening in many areas for decades to come.
>>
>>932241
>Buses wouldn't even be that bad if they actually made systems that were effective. Make bus stops that are actual stations instead of retarded signposts, have a digital timetable at each that displays updated ETAs for buses, and make it so that a bus arrives at a station every 10-15 minutes. If you're in a city with more people, you could also incorporate articulated buses to hold more people.
What is really needed is bus priority to make up for time lost at stops and subsidization proportional to that given for private usage, which is completely justified because of the relative density. As it buses are mostly used by people whose time is worth nothing.
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.