[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
hey /n/
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /n/ - Transportation

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 6
File: 1444403567147.gif (954 KB, 400x225) Image search: [Google]
1444403567147.gif
954 KB, 400x225
so, i'm a jimmy delivery biker in chicago. posted before about cruising through the winter on 23 gators (legit try it it'll work)

Right now i'm in the process of building a budget dream bike. i want some drop bars with aero position, a smalller front wheel, a fork with disks, a good steel frame.

Anyway, i had to borrow a bike from my dad to use while i fix up my fixie and my bonnie traygar. Would using a mountain fork for a 26" in wheel with disks be possible to achieve that smaller front wheel approach?

BTW, i do delivery in west loop now. It's great.
>>
File: image.jpg (338 KB, 1000x516) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
338 KB, 1000x516
Well not sure if this is a joke but i'll give you answer anyway

The best approach would to purchase a 650c fork that would fit your frame both techincally and aesthetically, and purchase 650c front wheel.
>>
>>925312
Thank you, i assumed mountain parts would be cheaper

Do you think disks on front and rear is necessary? since rear is for slowing more anyways and not full breaking like front

Lot of guys at my store have disk front wheels
>>
>>925304
>dear diary
>>
>>925312
But that would fuck up HT and ST angle. The ST angle can be worked around with a huge-setback post, but the HT angle combined with short stack will make the bike unstable. The frame better have a very slack HT angle to begin with, and even then...
>>
>>925304

I wann try some unconventional stuff on my bike myselfe , front disc brake included and on my search I came across this fork here

http://de.aliexpress.com/item/Carbon-Fiber-Ultralight-Road-Bike-Front-Fork-Fixed-Gear-Bicycle-Front-Fork-for-Disc-Brake-V/32418903183.html?spm=2114.010208.3.18.8Q2sLn&ws_ab_test=searchweb201556_1,searchweb201644_3_505_506_503_504_502_10001_10002_10017_10010_10005_10011_10006_10003_10004_401_10009_10008,searchweb201560_5,searchweb1451318400_-1,searchweb1451318411_6450&btsid=ebd18ec5-a5b3-4b77-bc1d-97b969195008

If you have a 1 1/8 inch steerer tube that might be your solution.
it has a ridicoulus 350mm axle to crown height that means running 700c 23mm would give you tight gapz.
running 650c 25 or something should work just fine without fucking up your geometry to much and the look will be more coherent than with a 26" mtb fork.
regarding my project.
I have a dolan precursa and would like to change the alpina track fork for a cyclocross disc frok and if I get some cheap 650B rims , lace up some wheels and try running somethign like 40mm slicks on there.

also you could read and post on lfgss.com
they talk about stuff like that latley and have some competent framebuilders that know their shit about how geomerty gets changed and whats happening with the ride
>>
File: 634245670745831959_sb[1].jpg (312 KB, 1566x1175) Image search: [Google]
634245670745831959_sb[1].jpg
312 KB, 1566x1175
What are you trying to accomplish with the weird front wheel? A pursuit bike? Pic not related.
>>
>>925635
>running 650c 25 or something should work just fine without fucking up your geometry to much and the look will be more coherent than with a 26" mtb fork.

Was thinking the same thing, plus i'm 6'3, legit i have a huge bike, and i allready get problems with sidewalk ramps sometimes. I might need to change cranks...or get a higher frame.

Still, 650 /700c fork is easier to swing.

>>925635
So i got a shimano 105 break leaver and (i suspect) front break and some pads and a bit of frictionless cable i think

If i'm going to be biking, do i need to learn how to turn those into a bike front break? Or is it ok to rely on bike shops?
>>
>>925638
Yeah, i really like being bent over on my bike, i want to design a ultimate fixie with a bent over full aero position for really being able to shift my weight on a fixie.

I hate riding anything without drops. i have a commuter i'm borrowing that's really nice, but it has fucking mountain risers reversed with horns. I keep almost falling off because i let my hands drop to the drops when i get nailed with wind to save my momentum

Chicago really, really makes you respect wind, and i need to be riding all day.
>>
>>925638
btw here me out here

put drops on that bike and mod it so you can run a 700c wheel on the back, upgrade that crank, and you could be seriously blazing once you raise that seat another 2-3 inches.
>>
>>925664
if your lever is broken you should return it.
>>
File: _IMG_1114.jpg (383 KB, 880x755) Image search: [Google]
_IMG_1114.jpg
383 KB, 880x755
>>925304
>Would using a mountain fork for a 26" in wheel with disks be possible to achieve that smaller front wheel approach?

You could do that but you will mess up the geometry of the bike.

The angle of the head tube is most critical. A smaller front-wheel will mess that up, potentially ruining the bike's handling and making it dangerous to ride.

You COULD however, use a 26" in the front with a tire so fat that it nearly matches the diameter of your rear wheel. This could possibly make the bike handle the same way it was designed to.

BUT -- you must do the math on the fork lengths and make sure you are not dropping the front end down too low.

It's a silly project, rife with danger and expenses. But it can be done.

A pursuit bike is a better idea if you MUST have a smaller front wheel. But a pursuit bike is not comfortable, and not meant to riding anything but a velodrome. Your body will suffer. You will be in danger.

Pic related. Some maniac on bikeforums who did the math and matched the original geometry with a fat tire in the front
>>
>>925717
it won't shift, but it'll break

that being said, given that it works for a fixie, lets me play with sti's like a fucking six year old pretending to be a tie fighter pilot, and was completely free, i think i'll keep it.

>>925720
I guess i want a persuit- lite bike then

I want that speed man. i want it bad

I've been riding a 52-18 fixie for ages, i'm thinking of dropping to 16
>>
>>925717
how thick are you?

the word you're looking for is brake
>>
File: 00b0b_bGjS390bs14_600x450.jpg (72 KB, 600x398) Image search: [Google]
00b0b_bGjS390bs14_600x450.jpg
72 KB, 600x398
>>925731

craigslist a real ass pursuit bike then man. Do it up.

if I were you I'd invest in a wide front rim from a BMX bike or whatever and slap the fattest tire I could find on it for safety/pot holes

This one is $475 on my local CL (s. nj) --- I see them steel jawns go for pretty cheap around here since nobody uses them on the street OR the track
>>
>>925735
Ugg. only persuit i saw started at 2k and talked about a bunch more stuff

Would a thicker front tire like that reduce rolling resistance? I need performance here.

Also, legit, i need to construct 2 bikes to allow me to blast the other drivers out of the water. A fixie and a proper roadster. Right now i'm focusing on fixie because it's spring/winter.

Geared, should i go steel or try to upgrade to alum? i've had good alum frames before. a mountain hybrid ( specialized cafe bike)

had these twist shifters i hated but grew to love because of how smooth they could work.

I want my geared bike to be as fast as possible. my fixie is a chicago steel frame schwinn, so it'll always be rediculously heavy and i'll need to put all the money into the wheels to make it good, but geared i have a lot more flexibility.
>>
>>925793
I mean pursuit frames aren't even practical or used on the track anymore so I would just get a lo pro bike if I were you, you can still achieve the aero position while maintaining the fixie fag business
>>
>>925635
>running 650c 25 or something should work just fine without fucking up your geometry
No. If it is to make any noticable difference it will have fucked your geo up. Getting anywhere near pursiut geo means it's not only going to handle like shit, but it wont even be ridable any more.

>>925720
>You COULD however, use a 26" in the front with a tire so fat that it nearly matches the diameter of your rear wheel. This could possibly make the bike handle the same way it was designed to.
But then you havent changen the riding position at all, you clod. You've only added a ton of pneumatic trail, weight and resistance.
The semi-fatty adventure bike is substituting a suspension fork. Not mimicing a pursiut bike. Haysoos fuck.
>>
>>925731

dude , to be honest , if you're about topspeed you might want to get into gearing.
atleast a single front setting or if your into the aestetic of singlespeed, get a geared hub.

I don't know you're city but 52 18 seems allready unreasonable.
do you even reach the top speed of that gearing on most of your rides (no mocking, real question) ?
>>
>>925887
>No. If it is to make any noticable difference it will have fucked your geo up

na man , you act as if there was one correct geometry for a bike.
tinkering with the a-c or trail is a legit way of customizing your geometry
there are bikes with 74 ha and bikes with a 70 ha you just have to keep in mind the changes they bring with them in regards to bb height and other angles.
theres also probably quite some experiementation and parts swapping involved to get it just right.

>Getting anywhere near pursiut geo means it's not only going to handle like shit, but it wont even be ridable any more

wouldn't go as far as not beeing ridable anymore but, it'll probably handle like shit.

however depending on the frame, getting the 360mm a-c fork and a 700c wheel with 23mm tires and maybe 28 or 25 in the back will definitly give you a ridable bike with a slight downward sloping top tube and you could tweak the handling with a stem of the according length.
>>
>>925895
>think stems can compensate lack of trail
>think bb height and "other angles" has anything to do with lack of trail
Nigga u gay

And as if a three mm rise in the back end will give a 'slight slope' to the top tube over a 1m wheel base. Road forks are already in the 36-37cm range. Unless you're starting with a long drop brake sportif, but then you've only turned it into a shittier version of an actual road bike with all your tweaking.
You're still nowhere any fucking near a pursuit geo or look. Keep up you kiddy daydreaming. Are you twelve?
>>
>>925904

the op was talking about working with a old steel frame.
they rarley come with a 360mm axle to crown ratio
>>
>>925904

just some quick googling for you

http://cyclingtips.com/2015/03/how-does-stem-length-affect-a-bikes-steering-and-handling/

>Ultimately, the steering of a bike is dictated by its head angle and trail—not stem length—but the stem can enhance or dull it to some degree. Thus, a short stem will make a bike with quick steering more nervous while a long stem will act to calm it down. In contrast, a long stem may slow down the steering too much if the bike has a relaxed head angle.

I didn't talk about compensating lack of trail , I was talking about tweaking it, as in slightly altering the handling.
I think slightly tweaking might be all that's needed if a rider is cool with twitchier handling ( track bike enthusiasts probably are) and a geometry change of about 2° headtube angle.

also regarding the axle to crown ratio, op was talking about budget options and all , don't think he would use a super tight super steep track frame , but probably some "relaxed" old steel racer.
just guessing here.

if he used a bike with 360mm a-c and would thus only try to achive the slope by having a wheel diameter change 10mm , he wouldn't achive a slope.
I know that.
I guess the op does so too.
thanks for pointing it out though.

is there a nicer thing to do on a sunday than having semi hostile conversations with strangers on the internet ?
>>
>>925891
I have a geared bike too (currently near worthless becaus it has slow as fuck 40 tires on it. and is a 19 inch frame for a 6'3 rider.), but i want my fixie back up for reliability

and honestly, i like how the bike handles, even if it is unwieldly at low speeds, because it lets me really PUMP it when i pick up speed.

I just find myself hitting 120-ish at 52-18, and i figured more gear = harder ride = more fun

i should mention i also kick people, so hard, high geared bikes like this help that too.

BTW, chicago is mostly flat. no real inclines to speak of. few mild hills if you know where to look (the ghettos) but no real reason to go down there. My fixed gear bike is actually really well set up to cruise the city most of the time.

i could complain about no fenders sometimes, but honestly fenders slow you down
>>
>>925908
The trail affect stability. Stem length affect your leverage. In road bikes, in amount of upper body movement involved in steering. Those are separate. They both affect steering input sensitivity, but it is percieved steering input sensitivity you influence. You do not make an unstable bike stable by using a longer stem.

tldr: Stems affect handling but not stability and the two are not the same.
>>
>>925891
I should mention gearing though

SO, i am running 1x8 now. i feel like a 1x10 or so with a xtra xxxtra xxxxxrta large low gear and a 2nd intermediary gear for dancing, then a normal 8 gear, is the only way i can replicate the sheer hillcrushing power of a 3x7 mountain bike

As a suburban kid i grew up thinking hills are rediculously easy on bikes, BECAUSE of those magnificent good mountain bikes i managed to get. But i like the reduced weight of no front derailuer, means i only have to deal with one shifter, i like it.

How can i get a gearing setup like this? i know i have x8 shifters right now, so i can't just swap as easy as i could with mountains, but how can i build a gear like that?
>>
>>926015
Buy an Alivio T4000 SGS derailleur for 20€ and a another 20€ on a MegaRange 11-34 cassette. It has the same gear spacing as an 11-28 cassette in the 11-26 range, but the biggest ring is a 34t saucer. The 9spd derailleur is compatible with 7/8/9/10spd road shifters, or 7/8/9spd mountainbike shifters.
>>
File: Megarange.jpg (46 KB, 500x476) Image search: [Google]
Megarange.jpg
46 KB, 500x476
>>926027
Forgot pic
>>
>>926029
>>926027
Thank you. I have STI, those will work right?

Also, do i need the deraiuler if i've allready got one? or will it not reach proper?
>>
>>926221
1. Yes
2. Depends on your current derailer, if you already have one with a long cage then you don't need a replacement
>>
>>926223
Hmm. What brands of gears can i rebuild and customize? I'd like to have 2 larger gears then smaller higher gears

They also sound easier to fix and clean.
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.