[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Cagers
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /n/ - Transportation

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 34
>Riding home from work today
>Stop in left lane at red light, because I'm turning left
>Waiting for light to change
>Car pulls up behind me starts honking
>I raise my hands in the universal "WTF" signal
>woman in car looks visibly angry
>pulls up beside me on the right
>Angry Wealthy Russian lady:"What the fuck are you doing, you're no supposed to be there you're supposed to stay on right side only"
>Me: "I'm turning left, learn the rules, I pay taxes too, I'm allowed here"
>Her: "YOU'RE SUPPOSED TO STAY ON RIGHT. *points to head* HELLO ANYONE IN THERE??
> Me: "I'M TURNING, I'M ALLOWED HERE"
>Her: "I HOPE YOU GET KILLED"
>She then passes me on the right and cuts me off to make a left turn herself

How was your day, /n/?
>>
It was ok, I guess. Had a burger after classes, also started reading the new King's book
>>
>>924791
Recent immigrants are some of the worst, most angry cagers out there, in my experience. It's because cage ownership, much like large television ownership, and wearing Levi's jeans, and having the latest Bob Dylan cassette tapes, represents an outward signal of Real American Success to members of their community, and they are very self-important about it.

The other really bad group is blue collar workers. They're mad at anyone who has a white collar job and makes a special point to use a method of transportation involving physical exertion. But they're not as violent about it, they yell sometimes and honk a lot, but they don't do dangerous maneuvers like the first-generation immigrants who think they're still in their lawless ancestral homeland as they flaunt their 3,500 pound American Dream.

Anyway my day was fine. I am working remote today due to some meetings in another time zone, and had no compelling reason to get on my bike. Feeling a little "caged" from being indoors, though.
>>
>>924791
I passed a bus on the left, looking back it was a stupid idea. Nothing happened but I felt bad about it.
>>
>>924791
>implying you pay road tax

Also, threads complaining about cagers really belong on the cager board, /o/.
>>
>>924851
Daily reminder that every time you complain about cyclists, I make a new bike thread.
>>
>got on a bus
>got off the bus
>walked to the office
>nobody yelled at me
>not even the usual crackheads
low energy day desu wa yo
>>
>>924854

God fuck off you fucking faggot this isn't even a fucking cycling thread this is a thread complaining about people driving cars FUCK I HATE YOU KILL YOURSELF
>>
File: cagers.jpg (70 KB, 800x533) Image search: [Google]
cagers.jpg
70 KB, 800x533
>>924857
Cry to the fishies, cager. They breathe your salty tears.
>>
shitty cager in a truck couldn't stand that I was going faster than him today so he closed the space between him and the curb as I was approaching and forced me off the road

what a fucking piece of shit
>>
>>924855
>wait for the train
>idiot walks right up to me with the wind blowing at me
>he smokes his god damned cigarette
>glares at him and tell him to move
>he just gives me the deer in headlights face and stops smoking
>get on the train, get off to catch the bus
>get on bus
>my stop is coming up in a minute
>girl in hijab: EXCUSE ME. EXCUSE ME I NEED TO GET OFF
>me : Okay, I'm getting off too
>her: EXCUSE ME, I NEED TO GET OFF, CAN YOU PLEASE MOVE?
>me: IM GETTING OFF HERE
fuckin shit.
>>
>riding right way up the street
>turn right to use curb-out ramp into parking lot of destination building
>As soon as I commit to the turn the cager that was parked forward of the opening backs up really fast with no warning
>slam brakes hard as fuck, thank you based Kool-Stops
>Go OTB towards still reversing cager
>land facedown inches behind his right rear wheel
>SHITSHITSHIT
>scramble out of the way
>"I wasn't looking sorry"
>"Why wouldn't you when you back up?"

At least all I got was a scraped knee and a fuckhuge bruise on my leg from landing on top of my top tube
>>
>>924892
>thank you based Kool-Stops
I feel like this needs one of those images that you have to reply to in order for meme magic to happen.
>>
File: picture-5.png (507 KB, 660x490) Image search: [Google]
picture-5.png
507 KB, 660x490
>>924791
>How was your day, /n/?
My marriage is falling apart, and there's no liquor in the house.
Gotta sleep on the sofa sober.
>>
I was turning right and somebody turned left in to me. Got the the right to avoid being hit, motioned at them wtf they were doing, they just blankly stared back and went on their merry way.
At the entrance to a parking lot by the way, which are the most dangerous places to bike honestly. Stay vigilant around them brothers.
>>
>>924900
Why? You're the one who paid for the bed
>>
>>924909
I'm a neet, she's a lawyer
>>
>>924912
Is the third letter of your first name A?
>>
File: 1445141435046.jpg (98 KB, 790x1053) Image search: [Google]
1445141435046.jpg
98 KB, 790x1053
>>924913
This:
>>924912
>I'm a neet, she's a lawyer
Isn't me, it's an impostor.
And I'm on the couch because a) she had the bed long before I met her and b) she treats me like an employee.
And oh yeah, I don't want to sleep in her fucking bed tonight.
>>
>>924791
Fucking Russian bitches, man.
>>
>>924921
Ho about you move back with parents in the meantime ?
My parents always has a free bed for their kids.
>>
>>924932
>Ho about you move back with parents in the meantime ?
>My parents always has a free bed for their kids.
lol, that has it's upsides and downsides.
They live in Hawaii, so that's cool.
And they do have a spare room.
I'd have to give up my job, and get a new one.
I'd miss my friends, and her/our family.

But mostly I'm 51, so it would be kind of awkward.
>>
>>924945
Is marriage worth it? Does love exist or does it really only last 2-3 years?

23 year old here.
>>
>>924791
and that's why i have music blasting through earbuds at all times. i just stay within the rules and keep doing what i'm doing and nothing else matters. they can honk and cry all they like but it won't matter. nor will getting mad at them in return.
life goes on and so does my ride.

>>924958
love lasts seven years. fact.
#seven_year_itch
>>
>>924791
She is going to kill you as long as she can, you know what you need to do.
>>
>>924851
>>implying you pay road tax
WTF is road tax, there is nothing on my tax bill called "road tax". When I drive to work nobody goes up to me and demands a "road tax" are you talking about a fucking toll?

WTF are you talking about?
>>
>>924791
>lumps all drivers together as 'bad' because of one bad driver
>uses baby words like 'cager'
Listen fuckhead, I ride anywhere from 100 to 300 miles a week, depending on the week, in addition to road racing, have been for almost 10 years, and I'm here to tell you, you just have to LET THIS SHIT GO because SHIT HAPPENS. Using kid words like 'cager' and making a big fuss online about one incident only shows what an immature entitled brat of a kid you are. Fucking grow up already. At some point you'll have a drivers license and own a car and you'll look back at this crap you posted and feel like a complete douche. How about you get ahead of the game, delete this thread, and stop acting like a baby? Now get the fuck out of here and don't post shit like this again.
>>
>>924967
>WTF are you talking about?
He's talking about gas tax.
In many states, part of the road maintenance is paid out of the tax on gas in particular.
He's wrong on several counts.
Bicycles contribute almost nothing to road maintenance costs, they don't w4ear out the asphalt and paint the way cars and trucks do, and nobody has to replace a sign after a bicycle hits it.
He's also forgetting that most of us *do* buy gasoline, and thus pay his "road tax".
And, of course, gas tax isn't the only tax that goes towards road maintenance.
>>
>>924972
>I have a bike so I'm not like the other cagers, please accept me!
Fuck off, cager. You can't fool me.
>>
Cyclists are deranged and need to be put in "cages" of their own for the good of society.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_mYUWy_hvxk
>>
File: man_that_cyclist.png (194 KB, 320x320) Image search: [Google]
man_that_cyclist.png
194 KB, 320x320
>>925020
Ehh, he's right though. Reacting with anger towards the deranged motorhead is only going to escalate the situation. Follow the law, don't acknowledge the assholes.

Smug nonchalance is my typical approach. When a cager tries to engage me I just ignore them and keep on riding. I haven't had many confrontations. There was a time when I would flip the bird to any person who dared cross me. That resulted in too many close calls and large men who tried to assault me.
>>
>>925211
I'm pretty sure it also makes the motorist more likely to rage at the next cyclist they come across as well. Constant deescalation is the best approach for all road users.
>>
>>925211
>>925215
This logic assumes the cager actually knows the law. In the US at least, people learn enough multiple-choice answers to pass an easy test at the age of fifteen years and six months, and then pay a small fee every few years and never think about the laws again. In many cases they legitimately believe that:

a. A cyclist has no right to be on the road
b. Literally everything else I could possibly mention (such as anticipating that a cyclist is obligated to, and will in fact maneuver in a manner consistent with road laws and customs) is irrelevant at this point because they shouldn't be on the road in the first place

De-escalation implies that both parties are somewhat culpable in cager-cyclist confrontations. In my experience the most aggressive confrontations involve incoherent yelling and words to the effect that the cager doesn't understand the laws of operating a motor vehicle. This is something that should be dealt with, not brushed aside as "lol he's just having a bad day", because he's just going to keep doing that and the next cyclist could pay the price with his life.
>>
>>924791
you dont have much of a life do you?
>>
File: 7213716658_db9aac7bdd_z.jpg (136 KB, 640x512) Image search: [Google]
7213716658_db9aac7bdd_z.jpg
136 KB, 640x512
>>925215
>>925220
What approach would be better? Are you going to pull the person aside and kindly educate them about state vehicle code?

Brushing them off seems like the best possible option.' Let the wookie win' to quote Star Trek.
>>
>>925225
That picture is about right. I'm actually thinking about printing out some weatherproof stickers with the URL of the state driver's manual to slap on errant cager windows.

Where I live, once the cager misses his shot at killing me with his cage, he's going to be hard pressed to come after me unless he's got a rifle and can get up on the roof of his cage in a hurry. Too much traffic to keep up with a bike.
>>
I literally just almost got ran over by some 70yo truckfag who was

1: driving in the bike lane (in front of me)
2: making a turn without a turn signal
3: almost right-hooked me

I've never been so close to u-locking someone's fucking windshield out, but people carry guns here so I just slid down an alley and started screaming to myself
>>
>>925220
I don't see how the motorist's ignorance changes anything, if anything it furthers my preference for deescalation. You aren't going to fix ignorance on the road. If you want to actually address the issue get involved in the community.
>>
>>925236
You could have at least punched his mirror off

If he shoots you for touching his car, he wouldn't get away with it unless you're black
>>
>>925357
Idk why all you stupid ducks think you are tough enough to survive a posed off driver. You all talk like you would do something but we all know you are little bitches when it comes down to it.
>>
>>924791
>I raise my hands in the universal "WTF" signal
What did you hope to achieve by this?
>>
>>925359
are you having a stroke right now?
>>
>>925362
Communicating to the driver he didn't know what he was supposed to be doing wrong. It's not like it's an aoofensive gesture or anything. What would you suggest he do?
>>
>>925395
Apologize to the driver for not paying road tax, and ride home on the sidewalk, of course.
>>
>>924857
Just for that, I'm going to dent some cager scum's hood.
>>
>>925399
But anon, I do pay road tax.
>>
>riding home from class
>get to red light
>older black lady in car waiting beside me
>she asks me how I'm doing
>good and you?
>I'm fine baybeh
>ride home

It was nice. I think people are nicer to me when I'm riding my old 3 speed and not my road bike. I feel like they can relate to the more casual bike with the big basket on it than a crabon bicycle
>>
>cut in front of a car at junction
>start getting frustrated and swearing under my breath
>realise I was in the wrong and 'why the fuck did I do that'
>ride off embarrassed
>>
>>925395
Ignore them.
>>
>>925468
Because that will surely calm them down. Noone has ever taken to outright violence for being ignored by someone who upset them.
>>
>>925478
>Because that will surely calm them down.
Oh, that's your aim? In that case, continue making dismissive gestures at agitated strangers - that's well established as an effective calming method.

On the subject of Noone, I've never known him to be so touchy. When did he lose his cool?
>>
>>925020
>I'm 14 and I know everything! YOU'RE NOT MY DAD YOU CAN"T TELL ME WHAT TO DO!
Fuck off, kid. You can't fool me.
Come back when you've grown some pubes.
>>
>>925457
You would fit in well in Canada.
>>
As somebody who casually cycles but prefers motorcycles and also carries while riding/driving. The level of angst in this thread is hilarious.
>>
>>925616
>BTW I have a gun
No angst here :^)
>>
I merely mention it because of how many folks are scared of being shot for cutting people off in traffic, like that kind of thing happens all the time.
>>
>>925622
They know it's wrong, hence the worry of being shot for it. Cagers can't even follow their own moral compass.
>>
>pull up at lights
>car behind starts honking
>I get a cross look on my face and start dinging my bell
>cager gives me the finger
>I give him the nyahnyah nose trumpet
>>
happened to me back in Autumn

>biking down street approaching stop sign
>2 lane road, no bike lane so I'm in the center of the lane
>do Idaho stop
> Mini CooperS speeds past me on my left really close
>getmad.jpg
>haul ass and catch up to him 2 lights down
>knock on driver's windows
>tell him he passed way too close
>cunt in passanger seat yells "You didn't stop for the stop sign!" "you're supposed to be on the right!"
>driver tells me I'm supposed to obey vehicle laws and to look up statue 22 of my state's legistlation

I guess you have the right to endager someome's life if they don't come to a complete stop at a stop sign
>>
>>928030
should have just kicked off the driver side mirror
>>
>>928030
Passing at an intersection is much more illegal
>>
>>928030
If you're doing illegal shit you have no right to complain about illegal shit inflicted upon yourself. That's why I never give cagers any shit for the retarded stuff they do.
>>
>>928040
By that logic close to nobody on the road can complain about others. Free-for-all roads baby.
>>
>>928040
>if you do illegal but victimless shit it's OK for me to put you at risk of physical injury
cager logic
>>
>>928030
>catch up to him

You wouldn't do that in a car so why do it on a bike? You're a fucking idiot mate, shame the mini driver didn't teach you a lesson.
>>
>be me
>ride home
>have to ride this fucking street with 10%
>ride uphill in the middle of the street
>no car behind or in front of me
>car on the left is driving down with like 80kmh, speedlimit is 30kmh
>car is fucking honking at me
>????
why
>>
>>924791

>climbing slightly sleep hill at 11:00 PM
>car coming towards me on the opposite lane randomly decides to jump onto the raised median
>belly skids on the median for several feet before he manages to pop off and re-enter his lane
>continue pedaling as if nothing happened

that was weird
>>
>>928444
I actually had a cager honk at me even though it was in a different lane separated by a raised barrier

It's like they just see a bike and think "oh, that is a violation of the expected order of things, better honk angrily"

Maybe think is the wrong word, but I don't know the equivalent in a cager brain. Do they have brains, even?
>>
>>924791
>russian
>lady
You are a racist and a sexist and there was no need to point that out, all cagers are the same.
>>
>>928594
Russian lady detected. Go fuck yourself with a potato.
>>
>>928040
>That's why I never give cagers any shit for the retarded stuff they do.

>plying

now imagine me, stopping at reds, getting out of saddle at crossings, wearing all the retarded shit etc., am I peer pressured to break the laws when everyone casually assumes all people are breaking traffic laws?
>>
>>928593
>It's like they just see a bike and think "oh, that is a violation of the expected order of things, better honk angrily"

that pretty much sums up my experience as well. The man in the bigger vehicle knows the laws best, better start honking and make them escape to the sidewalk.
>>
>>928623
when I stop for peds they just stare at me stupidly until I either unclip and literally stand there staring at them for upwards of 20 seconds, or I just blow through the crosswalk and ignore them

I never want to hear a ped complaining about a cyclist not stopping for them, because only maybe 1 out of 20 actually understands rights of way and that 1 out of 20 is probably a cyclist

the other 19 are cagers and when they're in a cage, they naturally assume they have the right of way, even when they don't
>>
>>928444
Improper use of SI prefixes and unit symbols, obviously.
>>
>>928755
trips are exempt from conventions
>>
>>924809

Hispanic illegals - least likely to be in cars, but when they are they're the most polite
Second generation spics - pretty bad
Blacks - surprisingly not bad, never been honked at or harassed by one
Asians - probably the worst in terms of sheer danger, they don't road rage they're just abysmally terrible drivers. All asians should be banned from driving desu.
Whites - In my experience the most likely to road rage, white women and white men in trucks are the worst offenders. The rest are fine.
>>
>>928769
Analyzing your data I see a weak correlation with privilege, where can I publish my results?
>>
Some OC from today.

>walking across the road, on the crosswalk
>have the right of way
>as I pass in front of a cager he starts moving forward like he's about to pull out into traffic
>his windows are so tinted that I can't see him
>don't even know if he sees me in front of him
>he gets close enough for me to touch his car, so I knock on it real hard to wake him the fuck up
>all I can hear is the guy loosing his mind inside the cage
>as I'm walking away, he gets out of the cage to scream at me some more
>thought he was going to chase me, but cage kid can't leave his cage
>LOL
>keep walking because idgaf and I got someplace to be
>I get a block away, casually walking, and this cunt is still standing next to his cage screaming like I murdered is child
>can't hold all these keks
>>
>>924791
> biking to work
> there's no bike lane, but one starts later down the road
> I take the lane
> some dude in a shitty car with several pitbulls inside, dude's covered in tattoos
> he slows down, rolls down his windows, driving beside me
> "You're supposed to stay on the SIDE! Hey! You can't be in the middle!"
> I'm already angry "There are cars parked there" I say, still pedaling fast, it's very hard to speak like that, so I just face forward and keep pedaling, suddenly worried he's about to murder me
> "I'm just telling you the law! HEY HEY HEY! I'm tellin' you the law! he keeps screaming "Hey" at me
> I just keep pedaling with my eyes forward
> he rides beside me, blocking the other lane yelling for probably a whole minute
> we get to a light just as it turns red
> he runs the red light and speeds off

why are cagers so angry?
>>
>>929727
because they dreamed of owning a cage one day, worked hard to get one, work their asses off to keep one, but realized that nothing will make them not poor white trash

then they see someone who looks like they're reasonably well off, riding a bike BY CHOICE (gasp), and it seems like a slap in the face to their trophy shitbox full of cigarette butts and empty diet soda cans
>>
>>929734
>>929727
>>929714
I think ima visit this board more often. You guys spin better tales then the /fit/ FPS threads.
>>
>>929755
I'm pretty sure some of these people post in FPS as well. At least, I know I do.
>>
>Be on break at work
>Check cycling groups I'm in for future events/rides on phone
>Dedication post and ride for a vet rider I met once
>Drunk driver hit him and 2 others
>Vet rider was huge in the community, dozens of riders casual and semi-pro comment how they got them into cycling
>memorial ride next week

So yeah, fun day.
>>
File: hg3-500x500.jpg (99 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
hg3-500x500.jpg
99 KB, 500x500
>out for an afternoon run
>pedestrian crossing seems clear
>stop to check for cars anyway as I always do
>car just zooms by through crossing without slowing down
>driver's an Asian lady staring down at her phone the entire time

I have no idea what made her think it was a good idea to check her phone right as she went through a pedestrian crossing, that happens to be right in front of a preschool even

>>929791
My condolences bro
>>
>>925211
>>925215
Usually I'll ignore oblivious idiots. I make mistakes too sometimes.

Sometimes, pending the situation (generally the blatant assholes), I'll give them a thumbs up and nod and smile like a sarcastic cock; or blow them a kiss.
>>
>>928188
Because road rage doesn't exist amongst motor vehicle operators too...

Shut the fuck up. I see assholes rev up to other cars to start autistically screaming at them for something just the same.
>>
>>930137
That's his point: no one thinks that behaviour is reasonable when the operator of a motor vehicle does it, yet some cyclists think it's a good idea to chase down and confront motorists who've put them in danger.
>>
>>924873

>not beating her for not being chaperoned while out of the house

Way to be culturally insensitive
>>
>>928652

The only time a pedestrian can complain is if some prick decides to ride on the sidewalk, assuming it's illegal where they live
>>
>>928773

On tumblr.
>>
>>930582

This tbbq fampai, people are already fucking insane once they get behind the wheel, it's crazy to ride after them to give them shit
>>
>>930582
But the point is wrong. One is protected by a tonne and a half of steel, the other is protected by a layer of denim. The danger you are being subjected to varies by several orders of magnitude, so it's just a false equivalence argument.
Douche moves that would wake you up and make you shake your head in a car could scare you shitless on a bike. That's a good reason to go from clenching you fist in your pocket to telling someone you're not happy with what they did.
>>
>want to go down a hill really fast
>cut off a car point blank
>he rages and turns to follow me
>horn honking, completely at fault, I flip him off and go off road
>>
>>930665
There are other jestures you can do with your hands you know. Perhaps an apologetic one if you know you messed up.
>>
>>930638
It's not a false equivalence - antagonising people is generally a bad idea regardless of which mode of transport either is using. If someone puts your life in danger you ought to report them to the proper authorities.
>>
>>930974
I think he has a point, you perceive the situation very differently on a bike, e.g. you could argue ignoring a traffic law and hitting a cyclist could be manslaughter or attempted murder (sidenote imho the best way to get away with it)

>antagonising people is generally a bad

very true. However the nature of sitting in a cage not offers too many ways to antagonize anyone, you can blink your lights angrily while swearing at each other, while you don't even need to get off your bike if you want to break a mirror though if you are into escalation.
>>
>>930974
>confrontation is bad
Out in the real world confrontation is what drives change and progress.
>go sit at the back of the bus, nigger
>>
>driving minding my own business
>guy doesn't look when entering my lane, if i didn't break in time i woulda crashed into him
>by the time i realize i should honk or yell furiously at him or something it's too late and it would be weird
>he never even knew what happened
i know i'm a cuck but i can't stand people noticing me
>>
>at night
>zero traffic except for this one car
>riding in bike lane, we are almost side-by-side going like 20 km/h at most
>without signaling he just casually swerves into the parking spots through the bike lane

I don't think he wanted to force me to break/off the road, but how these people not die when they change lanes on highways?
>>
>>931095
Are you sure he knew you were there?
I try to not ride along side cages because it's easy for them to overlook me, especially at night.
I know this because I also cage sometimes.
>>
>>931100
you are right, that could very well be the case
>>
>>931266

Still fucked up that his stupidity almost killed you, but I guess negligence is marginally better than vindictiveness
>>
>>931095
you need brighter strobes

everyone on /n/ says it's "evil" but I don't think "not getting killed by a cager" equals "evil". more like "common sense"

the strobe should be bright enough that a cager can't forget you're alongside them because they pulled up behind you (rear strobe) or you overtook them (front strobe).
>>
>>931095

You never ride side-by-side with a car. Drivers aren't thinking about bikes and will only check their mirrors before a turn -- they won't see you
>>
>>931070
>Confrontation got us uppity niggers
If you're trying to make a point, you're going the wrong way about it.
>>
>>931272
They don't check their mirrors at all when turning right. Cagers think bike lanes don't exist, except when they're complaining about them on local news sites.
>>
>>931384
Sometimes cager here.

99.99% of the time when I make a right while caging, there is no one in the bike lane.
Hell in my city the only cyclist I've seen keep pace with cages is myself.

It's extremely unexpected to have a cyclist hanging in your blind spot. I try to avoid it as much as possible.
>>
>>931430
>99.99% of the time when I make a right while caging, there is no one in the bike lane.

don't think that makes it right though.

I even look into one way streets, because cyclist can come from anywhere. Then again, I'm a very defensive driver.
>>
>>931664
Do you also look up to make sure they don't come from the sky as well?

Realistically, for most cagers, both possibilities have happened an equal number of times. By that I mean never.

Cyclists are better off just assuming no one is looking out for them.
>>
>>931813
No, because I'm not going to take off at the next junction, you dullard.
>>
File: 1387604401449.png (302 KB, 363x321) Image search: [Google]
1387604401449.png
302 KB, 363x321
>be me
>browsing traffic laws because why not

bikelords can:
>use the road just like a motor vehicle operator, and with full rights, except for highways and posted-as-prohibited
>must use hand signals while using the road
>must obey all traffic signals and signage as a motor vehicle operator would
>may use the sidewalk, but must yield to pedestrian traffic
>must vocalize with appropriate timing for response when overtaking pedestrian traffic ('passing on the right/left!')
>may choose not to wear a helmet
>may not ride along the center line
>may ride side-by-side, but no more than two riders abreast of each other.
>may choose not to use the 'bike lane' when present
>cannot be issued a DUI, but may be issued citations for endangerment of self/others
>cannot have points added to their driver's license for traffic infractions issued while cycling
>must use a front lamp emitting white light visible from at least 500ft and a rear red lamp or reflector visible from at least 500ft through interference of standard low-beam motor vehicle headlights while riding from 30 minutes before dusk until 30 minutes after dawn
>>
>>931828
Is this somewhere in Yurop
>>
File: naproad.jpg (349 KB, 1144x457) Image search: [Google]
naproad.jpg
349 KB, 1144x457
>>931813
>Cyclists are better off just assuming assassins.
,,, updated.
>>
File: Great_Lakes.jpg (96 KB, 792x469) Image search: [Google]
Great_Lakes.jpg
96 KB, 792x469
>>931831
these are michigan traffic laws, senpai
>>
>>931831
>ft
>Europe
my Brochure when
>>
>>931989
I didn't even get that far

>>931837
They sounded too good not to be Yuro, but then again I live in NSW of the backwards biking laws
>>
>>931828
Neat. Vehicular cycling has been around for a while though.
>>
>>931997
here's a yurop law for you
>can't signal left turn with right hand
>nothing about turning right and using your left hand

left handed privilege status: checked
maybe they fixed that, dunno
>>
>>932034
Why on Earth would you signal a left turn with your right hand?
>>
>>932037
Front brake is routed to left brake
>>
>>930667
Nah man. Fuck that guy.
>>
>>932037
I'm right handed. I mean, I have one hand, the right.
>>
>>932040
You should fix that.
>>
>>925207
I love this guy.
>>
>>925207
vehickle
>>
>>931837
iowa is similar but adults can't ride on the sidewalk and you need a rear red light at night (not just a reflector)
>>
>>924791
>being this mad
>being this immature that you have to make a thread about it
Get over it, get over yourself.
>>
Cager here.

If any of you saddle fags get hit by a water balloon today in STL know it was me.

I have 300 of the fuckers ready to go and im gunnin for you cycle fags.

Starting in forest park .
>>
>>932360
why though? I think cagers should be bros. Sometimes I even feel sorry for them, missing out on the joy of riding a bicycle.

>reported to cyber police
>>
>>932365
There is no jou when you faggots take the road up after we just made a curbed bike lane for you out of on of the driving lanes.

We took a nice 4 lane road and made it a shit 2 lane with 2 dedicated full size bike labes and you faggots still block the road.

Well no more! This week it is water ballons. Next week im freezing them
>>
>>932371
Then you did a shit job. This happens all the time. Some idiot build "bike infrastructure" that is so poorly designed that it is impossible to use safely and/or expediently, everyone bikes out on the road, everyone loses.
They're hardly just being assholes for the sake of being an assholes. Ask one, and you'll probably get a very good list of reasons why the stretch of bike lane is unsuitable for actual use.
>>
>other day
>riding home at night on one way street
>see pickup about to pull in front
>probably doesn't see me, pulls out in front of me
>I have to almost stop from going 25+mph
>he moves to left to give me space
>meet him at light, swearing to myself
>he apologizes, says he'll be more careful next time

I went from hating this guy's guts to wanting to hug him in about 30 seconds. I have really bright lights too, but people don't seem to see me.
>>
>Riding home from visiting family
>It's midnight
>Drunk guys standing in the middle of the road, have to go into the oncoming lane to avoid them.
>Guy grabs me and starts screaming in my face about how it's unsafe to wear headphones
>It's fucking midnight and there are barely any cars on the road
>Headbutt him and pedal hard until I'm 100 meters away
>Yell abuse at his mates
>Keep abusing them until they start running
>Ride home

This happened three weeks ago any I crack up laughing every time I remember it
>>
>>932371
>we
>you

com'on, pedestrians are the common enemy *wink wink

agree, people blocking the road should be explained not to do that. Vigilance is a warm thought, but does not solve the problem.
>>
>>928652
Have you never just waved at the person to go? Seriously? It's basically universal that you can so much as wave "hello" to get the other person to go.

>>928044
>illegal but victimless shit
You could get a ticket or get injured if you have a brain fart and miss a car. I think in those cases you would be the only immediate victim. Take care of yourself and at least SLOW DOWN when coming to a red light to make sure you don't miss anything, and give yourself time to stop if it turns out you did.

Also never underestimate the universe's ability to surprise you; you never know when some casual will be salmoning on the sidewalk, and dart out from behind a building doing 20 miles per hour into the road. Crazy shit happens all the time in the city.
>>
Not as bad as those putrid faggots doing canyon runs or pass runs at 90mph in the middle of the fucking day in their cheap volvos and subarus. That is why I carry a .22 in my jersey now
>>
>>932360
This is why I carry a gun.
>>
>>932708
This doesn't actually work, they either stare stupidly, or sometimes they smile and wave back and still stand there
>>
>>932193
The "can't ride on the sidewalk thing" depends on the jurisdiction.

I've only seen it in the podunk rural areas, which is ironic because I don't think anyone over the age on 11 bikes in those towns.
>>
>>931997
daily reminder to ding your bell profusely at all cops you go past.
>>
>>933990
Even the bike cops?
>>
File: 1457440831853.jpg (76 KB, 335x525) Image search: [Google]
1457440831853.jpg
76 KB, 335x525
>>924972
> being this autistic

The word "cager" refers to people who only drive cars and/or lack spacial awareness when behind the wheel. Try using Google before you make yourself sound like such a massive faggot.
>>
File: Capture+_2016-02-27-17-51-41-1.png (2 MB, 1440x799) Image search: [Google]
Capture+_2016-02-27-17-51-41-1.png
2 MB, 1440x799
>>934128
Especially bike cops.
>>
>>925359
I've smashed a windshield and put huge dents in a cager's hood and door. Come at me bro.
>>
>>924972
bro, bro, bro

we're just fucking off

nobody takes any of this 100% seriously
>>
>live in England
>never really have incident with car
>>
>>931828
>cannot be issued a DUI
holy shit what state is this? I gotta get there ASAP, supposedly Cuckafornia bike DUIs are just as bad as cage DUI
>>
>>932360
cant wait till you hit the guy who rides with his glawk foty
>>
File: i_bet_the_cagers_did_this.jpg (45 KB, 479x495) Image search: [Google]
i_bet_the_cagers_did_this.jpg
45 KB, 479x495
>>
File: 3547373y.png (89 KB, 248x248) Image search: [Google]
3547373y.png
89 KB, 248x248
>Southern California
>Everyone drives at freeway speeds in parking lots
>Most people here are heavily medicated and mentally stunted
>I am more tense getting some groceries on my bike than descending a paved fire camp road with a chance of a college aged Subaru faggot around every corner and potholes in every good line

I'm prepared to die every time I go out for some pasta. I'm ready to meet my fucking maker in the Ralph's parking lot. Starting to get why I see a lot of people running gopros around here.
>>
>>934309
It's a cager conspiracy
>>
>>934312
>Starting to get why I see a lot of people running gopros around here.
I'm seriously considering bolting a chunk of plastic onto my helmet to make it look like I've got a camera just to see if I notice any difference in motorist behavior.
>>
>>934230
>black people
>niggers

please, come on, you fool no one
>btw I'm a cyclist
>>
>>934317
>I'm seriously considering bolting a chunk of plastic onto my helmet to make it look like I've got a camera just to see if I notice any difference in motorist behavior.

kek

>>934288
>bike DUIs are just as bad as cage DUI

if cage DUI just half as good as bike DUI I think it should be allowed. The whole thing that DUI is a separate offence is stupid, just shows that traffic laws are too lenient and have no stopping power. I mean, if you cause an accident you should be put in jail and all your property transferred to the other party, it does not matter that you drink 1 or 2 beers before or none at all. If you are a an adult, you are free to do what you want and be responsible for it.
>>
>>934331
>we can do nothing to remove obviously dangerous drivers before they cause an accident
Top tier thunking there, anon.
>>
>>934332
>the result of your actions should be interpreted differently based on the amount of a particular molecule in your body. It does matter you were 100% sober when you maimed that girl crossing the street, here's your slap on your wrist and good day sir

cut the bs, just get to skin pigmentation already
>>
>>934366
How the fuck did you reach that interpretation? The point is drunk driving is a risk to other people. Not having drunk people on the roads make us safer. Arresting and taking the license and vehicle away from someone stupid enough to drive drunk _before_ he/she causes an accident is a good thing.
This has nothing to do with punishing drivers who do stupid shit without alcohol in their system, but that will have to be reactive as opposed to pro-active.
>>
>>934369
>How the fuck did you reach that interpretation? The point is drunk driving is a risk to other people.

the fuck did you not reached that conclusion? Impact with high kinetic energy is a risk, high speed heavy cages aka cars are dangerous, so what? Why would you punish a drunk driver who can drive according to traffic laws* and let road raging idiots roam free? It is some kind of Minority Report shit.
That is why bike DUI is not really a thing, m9.
>>
>>934370
>Why would you punish a drunk driver who can drive according to traffic laws
Because he is incapacitated and not fit to drive. Of course there is the odd moron who think they're the exception and can drive perfectly while drunk 'as long as nothing unexpected happens', but there are no exceptions. Being drunk makes your reaction time shit, your judgement clouded and your ability to judge traffic is greatly reduced.

You are a danger to other people. Driving under the influence of medication or even sleep deprivation is also illegal, and for the exact same reasons.

Drunk cycling is not a think because it's a 10kg vehicle at 25km/h, as opposed to a 2000kg vehicle at 125km/h.
>>
>>934370
>reached that conclusion
That's not even a conclusion. It's a non sequitur.
>>
>>934373
> Being drunk makes your reaction time shit, your judgement clouded and your ability to judge traffic is greatly reduced.

which is not the point, really, being old usually does that too

>even sleep deprivation is also illegal, and for the exact same reasons.

what kind of backward country do you live in? How do you measure sleep deprivation?
>>
>>934377
It's excacty the point, and exactly why old people with medical or cognitive disabilities shouldn't drive either.

SE, and difficulty quantifying it has no bearing on its legality, and only slight implications on enforcability. It is, again, a matter of reactive as opposed to proactive - concepts you seem to have great difficulty understanding.
>>
>average 16mph, traffic lights included on my commute back home
>shitty flatbar, rimbrake 50€ city bike
>think about the autistic /n/ thread I read the other day where all the Freds sperged out over people not using drops and discs and laugh
>coast a bit behind a jogging grill who has almost 100% seethrough joga pants

all in all, a fine commute
>>
>>934387
>people who have longer commutes than me are autistic
if you can even call that a commute. looks more like 'bring my bike to work day'
>>
File: first catch of the day.jpg (1 MB, 1632x816) Image search: [Google]
first catch of the day.jpg
1 MB, 1632x816
>>934389
>>
>>934378
well, I have no problem understanding there are people advocating limiting freedoms, you could argue a nice police state is a much safer place. It is just that I don't agree with them and dui on your private property would be nice.
>>
File: QeYcKut.png (269 KB, 479x358) Image search: [Google]
QeYcKut.png
269 KB, 479x358
>>934416
>muh freedoms
>>
File: 1457620453487.jpg (127 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
1457620453487.jpg
127 KB, 800x800
>>934329
Did you reply to the right comment?
>>
>>931095

>what are blind spots

i'm a <5 mile commuting bikelet and even I know now to ride side-by-side with a car
>>
>live in australia
>live in suburbia with many stupid minorities
>cycle in the cycleway which is a shared sidewalk next to the road
>me casually cycling back from work
>cager hits puddle right next to me no more than 20cm wide puddle
>splashes mud and water all over me
>my feelings were that it was intentional hatred of cyclists in australia
>I cycle up a bit and pick up a massive stone
>I cycle back and place it on the puddle, not on the road but on the gutter with a small puddle
>the road is fucking wide and that cager hit the puddle on purpose with ill intentions
>fuckwit thinks it's funny to splash me
>cancel my next day monthly blood donation
>I will never donate my blood ever again and that cager can fucking die when they hit that stone
>I'm going to keep placing massive stones in puddles on the gutter on the sidewalk gutter from now on
>It's a cycleway/shared sidewalk
>now you've pissed me off and I hate the world
This is the life of a cyclist in Australia with many fuckwit minorities in beat up cars. Tfw I move to the rural town later in life. I ain't staying in this fucking city, I hate it.
>>
>>935720
you realise that most cyclists aren't babbys and don't ride on the footpath right? You're more likely to fuck up another cyclist than a car by putting rocks in puddles.
>>
>>935726
Strava says otherwise. I cycle on that cycleway all the time. Nobody will have the guts to cycle on the road with the busy cars that travel on it. And besides it's a massive rock that'll prevent other cyclists from getting wet too.
>>
>>935726
In my comment
>from now on
I understand what you mean. I'll only place that one rock in that specific spot. No where else. I don't wanna hurt any road cyclists.
It just pretty much bummed me out because how we get treated.
>>
File: c20160327.jpg (52 KB, 616x261) Image search: [Google]
c20160327.jpg
52 KB, 616x261
>>935727
I'm cycling on the sidewalk/pavement. If you want me on the roads, build a bicycle path.
>>
File: stuck-in-traffic-jam.jpg (189 KB, 554x365) Image search: [Google]
stuck-in-traffic-jam.jpg
189 KB, 554x365
>>932671
>agree, people blocking the road should be explained not to do that.
Rush hour commute must be tough on your vocal chords, or perhaps you have some cards pre-made for such occurrences?
>>
>>934373
>No space between the number and the unit symbol
I think you're over the legal limit for the use of SI prefixes and unit symbols.
>>
>>936050
just say please don't do this, they know what you are talking about. Education is the only way, there are no enemies on the road, we are in this together.
>>
>>936106
>just say please don't do this, they know what you are talking about.
Not everyone is blessed with the powers of telepathy. They are as likely to think that you meant "please don't respond to the 'wind your window down' gesture".
>>
>>936050

>dem bicycle sized gaps

Feels good man. :3
>>
I saw these cagers taking up the whole fucking lane driving three abreast on a three-lane road! There was even a bit where there were shitcans parked and taking a whole fucking lane just sitting there! Then this carsehole pulls up in his landraper, stopping traffic in the moving lane and waits for a car to pull out of the parking, then drives forward and reverses into it. This took over a minute holy fuck man!

And the whole time these cars were stopped they had the motor running and literally farting poison into the face of the cager behind them, no wonder they have brain damage!
>>
>>931095
>I don't think he wanted to force me to break/off the road
Probably didn't even notice you.
You know, driving - serious business.
>>
>>924972
9/11 was an incident :^)
>>
>>924958
Love lasts 2-3 months. Long enough that your partner makes some life choices based on you two being together and then you feel obliged to stay together.

I am not that guy but I loved my partner, then got a bit tired of her, then loved her a lot again. At the moment I love her. Biggest thing is do not both be neet at the same time. When I was neet and she was working we were good. When I was working and she was neet we were good. When we were both neet it was ok for a couple weeks then it just got annoying as fuck to always be around eachother.

Now neither of us are neet and it is pretty ok, busy as fuck though, it is nice having one person free most of the time.
>>
>>928030
Dunno where you live but ignoring a stop sign in my country is one of the worst possible road offences.

Being on a bike doesn't mean you can ignore the laws of physics, getting hit because you ignored a stop sign isn't going to be pretty.
>>
>>936673
>implying ignoring stop signs doesn't make you safer
>being this ignorant
Go google the Idaho stop, and why it reduces risks to cyclists by 1/3-1/2.
>>
>>936676
Can you just tl;dr it for me?
>>
>>936680
ianyt
>>
>>934312

California and Florida both need to be physically removed from the continental States. Something about those states just makes people insane.
>>
File: image.jpg (406 KB, 1024x924) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
406 KB, 1024x924
>>
>>936767
>victim blaming
>>
>riding along in the bike lane
>stones in this motherfucker
>can't avoid because cars lined up all next to me
>one of them big ones gets launched into the side of a car and makes the loudest pop I've ever heard
>shiiiieeeeet
>Didn't even look back to make it seems like I had nothing to do with it
I hope that nigga didn't get dented
>>
I don't ride bikes but I don't understand how ignorant and angry drivers get regarding them.

At least in Florida, bicycles have the same road rights and must follow the same rules as motor-vehicles. Meaning they can use the road and it's lanes. Most roads have a bike lane, but if not, use the road. That's what my driver manual says.
>>
>>938158
Fenders: there not just for rain anymore!
>srsly, don't be the only road vehicle that doesn't have them
>>
>>938163
I have fenders.
Not because I care about cages, but because I don't want a wet backside
>tfw England
>>
>>936050
Those aren't people. If you took all those people out of the cages, they'd fit in the space of one or two of those vehicles.
>>
>>938163
I've shot stones with considerable force before. They invariably shoot sideways at aa right angle to your direction of travel by being squeezed between the tyre and the road. Fenders don't help.
>>
File: 1.png (311 KB, 450x370) Image search: [Google]
1.png
311 KB, 450x370
>tfw you only bike on empty country roads
>>
>>924791
I have faced being honked at, had profanities and other things yelled at me, and have have almost been clipped and ran off the road. Even had a situation where a car passed me and a little boy rolled down the window just to flip the bird at me. For what purpose? I don't know, I've given up in trying to understand the behavior of some car drivers.

They're not all bad, but a lot are stupid. Honestly I would take the angry driver in your case over the distracted one, as those are the most dangerous.
>>
>>936676
>Go google the Idaho stop, and why it reduces risks to cyclists by 1/3-1/2.
i can dig this but one thing stands out to me: cycling commuters using clip-in pedals. you really should just be using platforms if you're tooling around areas where you're going to need to make sudden stops or move slowly for extended periods due to general instability of staying mounted at a stop, moving slowly or needing to clip in or out due to these factors.
>>
>>938294
I can't see your argument when mountain bikers use clipless. Those are trivial things to deal with.
>>
>>938295
i'm placing average commuters a tier below roadies and mtbers on the equipment competency scale as a broad generalization.
>>
>>938300
Granted, but I'm pretty sure most commuters that care to run clipless aren't average, they carry it over from recreational cycling.
>>
>>938301
fair.
>>
>>938294
>mfw I ride on platform pedals without any sort of straps and I'll do next to anything in order not to put my foot off the god damned pedal and if I have no other choice than to do so, I'll try everything to not get off the god damned saddle
Daily commute can be such a pain.
>>
>making a left turn at a light in a two lane with the left lane turning
>I'm all the way on the left like OP
>car rolls up WAY too close to me I have to step a bit over to get away
>driver seems surprised but not angry
>I smile and yell "sorry! I'm turning!"
>Cager looks me dead in my eyes and goes "SORWEY" like some bitchy baby talk thing
>I get mad and go "hey! You don't have to be a dick!"
>guy points to his ear
>he's deaf
Whoops
>>
>>938238
>Those cages autonomously placed themselves there
>>
>>936767
>texting on a bike
Who the fuck even? This comic is fucking dumb.
>>
>>938325
Thanks for the laugh.
>>
>>936767
This kind of shit is why I'm happy every time a cager dies in a flaming wreck
>>
>>938652
I've seen it twice in montreal
>>
>>930665

Its a shame the car didn't run you over, you faggot.
>>
File: 1456018030505.png (875 KB, 1653x1023) Image search: [Google]
1456018030505.png
875 KB, 1653x1023
>Be riding to a local mountain range on my mountain bike
>In the highest gear going as fast as I can
>I'm almost at my turn into the woods
>Cager white woman in mid 50's passes me and almost immediately proceeds to turn right
>I slam on the breaks but still hit her car, managing to stay on the bike
>I scream "YOU FUCKING ASSHOLE"
>She rolls down the window
>"You saw I was turning, you fuckers shouldn't be on the road!"
>I proceed to puncher her cage, putting a nice size dent in it, and ride away as fast as I can to the woods
>She tried turning around to follow me but I lost her on side streets.
>I rode all day up there in case she called the cops

Her car cage was not a piece of shit either.

Today was a good day.
>>
>>924967

Some retards think that gas/weight tax in any US state covers something resembling a significant portion of what it takes to maintain roads.
>>
>>932387

People often fail to see motorcycles. Better to assume you're even more invisible on a bicycle.
>>
>>938676
>>938652
I see that shit daily. Makes me slightly agitated.
>>
>>938750
Drivers often don't see others because they don't think it's necessary to look around.
>>
>>938753

The visibility from my shitty Prius is bad enough that yes, I can miss you very easily even if I am looking around. It's even worse if I'm driving my work van.
>>
>>932497
But it is fucking stupid to ride with headphones...
>>
File: 1454709112181.jpg (42 KB, 588x588) Image search: [Google]
1454709112181.jpg
42 KB, 588x588
>>934309
> city creates a give cyclist space sign
> put the sign in the fucking middle of the bike lane
> now cyclist have to endanger themselves by going out of the bike lane just to get around the sign

What were they thinking? Oh wait never mind, they weren't.
>>
>>938757
How so?
>>
>>938807
You have two senses while riding. Your vision is focused only ahead most of the time and so that leaves you with your ears to "see" the rest of your environment and youve chosen to be deaf by playing music. Youre just inviting accidents and injuries to yourself that could have been avoided if you could hear your surroundings. Its your choice, but cant see why youd choose it. Br much better to at least strema to a bluetooth speaker in a cottle cage, at least it doesnt impair you as much
>>
>>938652
I cut my fingernails sometimes.

>>938746
>Sinking to their level

>>938814
>Youre just inviting accidents and injuries to yourself that could have been avoided if you could hear your surroundings.
How so? Does a car that is about to run into you sound perceptibly different to one that won't?

Do you object to motorists driving with their windows up on the same basis? Cyclists listening to headphones can hear more than them.
>>
>>938814

Honestly, I ride a motorcycle which is about as dangerous, and you aint hearing shit. Headphones on a bike aren't actually going to hurt you all that much. If you hear anything that's going to indicate you're about to get hit you're screwed anyway.
>>
>>938753
Cages have lots of blind spots. I have to do some crazy twists to see all of mine.
>>
I don't see many people on bikes where I live, but I'm never sure how to approach them when I'm in my car on the rare occasion that I do. Usually I try to throw my turning/passing signal on and give a few seconds before doing so if I'm going to pass them to the left, like I would a car or anyone else.
>>
>>938893
I need to do some "crazy twists" on a bike too. How come it ain't a problem for me but it somehow is for someone driving a car?
Oh I know, they're going way too fucking fast. The sooner people realise that in city traffic they need to stay alerted at all times the safer it will be for everyone.

>>938814
>Your vision is focused only ahead
This is what kills people.
>>
>>938814
>I don't make proper visual checks therefore no one else does
You're the one who's 'inviting accidents'.
>>
>>938904
>like I would a car or anyone els

that is basically the law here, the cage should have change lanes and all, yet they think it is funny to miss bicycles by an inch
>>
>>938852
>riding a motorcycle is about as dangerous as riding a bike
No. Just no, anon. Motorcycles are the most dangerous way to travel by a large margin, while bicycles are actually safer than walking on a per km traveled basis.
>>
>be in car with mum
>roundabout
>cyclist in bright red appears and rides across in front of us
>easily visible
>mum doesn't see him until the last fucking second and slams the brakes on
>argue like fuck because she can't accept she's wrong and that it wasn't her fault

How the fuck is a bright red cyclist less visible than a silver or w/e car?

Fucking people don't look, makes you wonder how they passed their test.
>>
>>940069
>How the fuck is a bright red cyclist less visible than a silver or w/e car?
Have you heard about the experiment where people are passing a ball around and a guy in a monkey suit walks by? Cyclists are the moneymen to many drivers.
That's why the 'make eye contact' advice is so retarded. Being seen is not the same as being percieved.
>>
>>940074
>found link
http://www.theinvisiblegorilla.com/gorilla_experiment.html
>>
>>940069
>Fucking people don't look, makes you wonder how they passed their test.
It's well worth remembering that most motorists have an incredible amount of trouble with something as simple as noticing their turn signal is on when they don't intend to turn, let alone figuring out how to shift gears without having a computer do it for you.

Expecting them to notice a cyclist is on the same level as expecting a fast food employee to know what to do when you say something to them that isn't in the rote "customer interaction" script they've painstakingly memorized.

That's why it's important to have the most obnoxious lights humanly possible, even in (especially in) the daytime.
>>
>>940069
Time to leave home for good. You're living with a murderer.
>>
>>940074
>That's why the 'make eye contact' advice is so retarded

>cycling along
>see car pulling out
>staring at them and slowing down
>still not looking
>nearly stopped
>OH SHIT SUDDENLY THEY REALISE YOU'RE THERE AND SLAM ON THE BRAKES

How do people get out of the habit of looking left and right? I don't understand. I hope it never happens to me.
>>
>>940098
>implying they're not looking left and right, seeing you but not percieving
They see you anon. Their cardriving minds just filter you out as irrelevant on a subconcious level.
That where the 'came out of nowhere at the speed of light and teleported herself in under my wheels' post-accident rationalizations come from. Where in reality she was right in front of the driver all the time, but he just ran her down.
>>
>>924958

I'm with my gf for 9 years and she is the most happy and cheerfull person that I know. It's really wonderfull to be with someone who cheers your life up all the time. 7 years itch is only when you are in a shitty relation.
>>
>>940100
No, they literally often don't even turn their head.
>>
>>940074
>That's why the 'make eye contact' advice is so retarded. Being seen is not the same as being percieved.
On the contrary: you are retarded. Making eye contact means they are tracking you with their eyes and therefore extremely unlikely not to perceive you.

>>940077
>let alone figuring out how to shift gears without having a computer do it for you.
Very few motorists make use of a computer to change gears.

>>940098
>How do people get out of the habit of looking left and right?
Most motorists are pretty good at looking left and right. The problem is that they look for cars left and right. Example:
>Ok, I've stopped at a junction - let's check if it's safe to proceed
>Looking left: wall, street sign, tree, CAR APPROACHING - NOT SAFE TO PROCEED
>Looking right: wall, street light, bike approaching, rubbish bin
>The car has passed, let's go
>Oh shit, sorry m8 I didn't see you
>>
>>934258
I put a nice sized crack in some faggot's windshield after he almost killed my GF in front of me.

I had no idea a can of cat food could possibly do that much damage at 30mph.
>>
>>934317
Florida is the only time I have witnessed a cyclist get killed on the road, Car going about 60mph just turned right into the poor guy sending him flying. Checked the news later that night to see what happened and killed on impact.

Just.. what the fuck could that fucking driver be thinking? That hitting a right turn at that speed was a better idea than going to t he next light and turning around if they missed their stop? I'm surprised they didn't flip the car as well.
>>
>>940200
>On the contrary: you are retarded. Making eye contact means they are tracking you with their eyes and therefore extremely unlikely not to perceive you.
No. A much safer sign is their actual action. Never assume you are being seen just because you _percieve_ you've made eye contact. Always go by how the other person is handling their vehicle.
It's not only possible, but common, for people to be looking directly at- but failing to see something they are not actively engaged in scanning for.

There's a whole school of techniques and scientific theories around this for helping military pilots, for example. And people looking at guys in gorilla suits.
>>
>>938814
I often bike with my lady and we both wear headsets to talk to each other with radios. Sometimes for music but it's never loud enough to be deafening.
>>
>>924791
In Russia it is actually not allowed for cyclists. I am a Russian immigrant too and I usually try to stay as right as possible when I'm cycling. Am I doing something wrong?
>>
>>940261
Yes. You're cutting across at least one lane of traffic when turning left, and when entering the crossing divide your attention between the traffic situation behind- and in front of you.. Position yourself as far left as possible well in advance. This also signals you attentions.
>>
>>924791
>I pay taxes too

Stopped reading there
>>
>>936767
Say: Why were you not on the sidewalk with the other pedestrian you parasite!?
>>
>>940261
>>940264
Hook turns are a thing. They may be slower, but they're a whole lot safer when there's any traffic around.
>>
>>940264
Not the same guy and not the same part of the Globe I believe, but here, cyclists ought to keep to the right as well. When turning left, however, it is advised to move to the left side of the lane first and that's how I am doing it (unless there are cars cueing for that turn as well, then I stay on their right and take an extra wide turn to fit with them and end up near the right curb).

>>940390
>Hook turns are a thing
You mean taking a right turn to turn left?

>>940069
It's about the environment and the general climate of how cars and non-car participants of the road traffic are treated. Separated traffic makes it feel like roads are only for cars to go fast and for anyone else. That's why biking on roads is perceived as offensive, that's why peds should dread getting on the crossings and all.
There are places (a few smaller towns in Belgium and Germany AFAIK) where the roads are shared and the number of accidents are significantly lower. Why? Because people ("cagers") pay way more attention to what is going on instead of concentrating on going thru no matter what.
>>
File: bicycle_hook_turn_left.jpg (53 KB, 903x899) Image search: [Google]
bicycle_hook_turn_left.jpg
53 KB, 903x899
>>940425
It's more like going straight ahead, but stopping just before you completely cross the intersection and joining the cross street to wait for a green there. In some countries this is the mandatory way to do things.
>>
>>940428
That's basically what I was thinking about.
Cheers.
>In some countries this is the mandatory way to do things.
How to do a leftie on a T-shaped intersection/merging streets thingy?
>>
>>940440
From the terminating road, it's more or less the same thing, except you don't have to wait for another green. It's just turning left from the right hand lane at that point.

From the non-terminating road, in theory you follow the same path, except instead of waiting for a green you wait for a gap in traffic. This version hasn't really ever come up for me. Once, maybe?

Where I live, the theory even extends to roundabouts, and it's legal to turn right from the left hand lane ('straya) there too. This gets more... interesting, since you're responsible for avoiding any traffic going straight in that case. Only really useful on larger roundabouts.
>>
File: 1367387879825.jpg (82 KB, 465x308) Image search: [Google]
1367387879825.jpg
82 KB, 465x308
>>940428
The only reason you'd do this is because cagers can't calm down for the couple seconds it would take you to just turn normally as a car would.
They don't mind waiting behind a car going the same speed, but if it's a car, oh no!

This is exactly how a woman almost hit me, then when I was upset with her, continued to chase me down and get real fucking close to me, trying to scare me, I guess.
She tried to pass me on the left, to go straight, as I was making my left hand turn, and we collided in the middle. Had she just not accelerated for a literal second, this all would have been avoided. (Or if she remembered fucking hand signals.)
>>
I like when someone thinks they can make a left turn in front of you/ into you because you are riding a bike. When they start to do that I always slow down in the middle of the intersection and just stare at them for 5-7 seconds.
Other shit people do is annoying like driving in the bike lane, but the left turn thing really pisses me off because that's how I got hit by a car.
>>
>>940428
This is what I usually do. Mostly because It's safer in my experience.
>>
>>940261
>Am I doing something wrong?
Yes. Primary position is much safer.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 34

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.