[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Sometimes better isn't better?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /n/ - Transportation

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 10
File: 2014 Scott Speedster 40.jpg (2 MB, 3280x2160) Image search: [Google]
2014 Scott Speedster 40.jpg
2 MB, 3280x2160
Is it weird that I like my 2014 Scott Speedster 40 with Sora components much more than my 2008 Cannondale Synapse with Ultegra components?

Have you ever experienced this? You enjoy a bike more than you did a "superior" bike?
>>
>>923372
A synapse is a shitty casual bike though, ultegra or not, because the fredtube.
>>
>>923374
>fredtube
was ist das
>>
>>923377
It's a headtube for freds.
>>
I suppose the Scott's frame geometry is more suited for your body than the Cannondale. Plus Sora is sturdy as all hell, even though rather clunky.
>>
>>923372

I've realized high-end components don't mean shit for non-racers. It's all about fit and handling. Weight is overhyped too

Some bikes just feel good. Fuck ultegra. 105 is the up limit for reasonable price per benefit

Sora / Tiagra is great. An extra few grams. Whatever. If the design is modern, it's good. Mid range bikes today are awesome

Spend your money on fit, good wheels, nice tires. The rest is debatable.

Road bike: Get a carbon fork and carbon seatpost for the cheapest way to shave gramz - keep the tiagra crankset until its rings are worn
>>
Thread is right on - we should always be skeptical whenever something is described as 'better than' and fit is always the most important factor when picking anything bike-related.
>>
ITT: poor people.

I'm faster than you on my used crabbon garbage with patrician 6600 ultegra and crabbon seatpost because crabbon is the best. I can afford it because I have a job at mcdonalds.
>>
>>923401
I can hit about 40 mph with a 53x11 on the flats with my road bike. I can hold this for a few miles before I burn out. I always end up running out of gearing with a 46t when in route to the trails.. I understand you think you are some eilte rider that 'knows' everything about biking but I think you are just weak as fuck.
>>
>>923412
Is this pasta now officially /n/ memery? Can we agree on this?
>>
>>923383
There's always an outspoken poorfag who spews wisdom obtained solely on their inability to afford anything superior, so flame everything they can't afford.

Not only do you gloss over the actual better shifting and ergonomics of Ultegra, you also give retarded advice "if you want to save weight get a garbon fork/seatpost" which are the two least likely parts to save any considerable weight.

Why do you people do this, year after year, spanning decades? Do you not tire of being seen as poor bastards without a shred of common sense?
>>
>>923412
Wasn't the original source of this thing actually a mountain bike?

>>925378
srs question, what actually are the best components to shave grams on? (Aside from my butt)

I think I could drop 300g or so with new pedals+chainset on one of my bikes.
>>
>>925388
1. Wheels and frame
2. Seatpost/saddle/bars/stem
3. Tires
4. Gruppo
5. Pedals/bottle cage/shoes/socks/jersey/helmet/skewers/chain/bar tape
>>
>>925378
>if you want to save weight get a garbon fork/seatpost" which are the two least likely parts to save any considerable weight.
>>925391
>2. Seatpost

getting mixed messages here
>>
>>925392
That's only because the analy assaulted Ultegra defender has no idea what hes talking about.
You can often save a hg or more on the seatpost+saddle compared to what most bikes ship with, and a light full carbon fork can be anything from 1-3hg lighter compared to a standard alloy-steerer carbon- or full alloy fork. Much more if you're comparing a steel fork.
Stem+bar can be another hg.
Tyres+tubes about ½hg each, and wheelup to a kg if you start out with a 2kg pair of system wheels and splash out for a <1kg WW set, but that's a very expensive upgrade.

The total weight difference between a 5800 (105) and 6800 (Ultegra) is less than 2hg, for a frame of reference.
>>
>>925404

For what purpose are you measuring weight in hectograms?
>>
File: 310.jpg (22 KB, 353x337) Image search: [Google]
310.jpg
22 KB, 353x337
>>925414
It's a standard unit?
>>
File: 1451341146034.png (641 KB, 969x800) Image search: [Google]
1451341146034.png
641 KB, 969x800
>>925391
6. pre-ride enema
>>
>>925420
>>925414
Don't feed he who must not be named. Stop this shit.
>>
>>925422
Shall we not confirm by having a look in the brochure?
>>
>>925423
Die in a fire
>>
File: a1HPA.png (7 KB, 360x279) Image search: [Google]
a1HPA.png
7 KB, 360x279
>>925432
Of how many calvins?
>>
>>925392
>>925404
The thing is past a certain point theres no point weight weenying over an entry level (shit) bike.
Sure you can save a few hundred gramshere and there with carbon this and carbon that, but by that point youve spent so much paying retail for aftermarket components you could have just got two models better bike.

You guys are the cycling equivalent of lebs who spend thousands fully tricking out their 1994 mitsubishi shitboxes.
>>
File: sixcalvins.gif (22 KB, 600x188) Image search: [Google]
sixcalvins.gif
22 KB, 600x188
>>925443
>>
>>925462
But buying a two models better bike is thousands, where upgrading what you own is hundreds. Of course, you could have bought the more expensive model in the first place, but you didn't know you "needed" it back then, and weren't prepared to spend the cash.
Upgrading what you have is often times the more sensible option. Though obviously not to chav car tweaker levels.
>>
>>923372
why is my Dura Ace RD from the midst 90 still on the same level than a nowadays Ultegra RD?
>>
File: Naruko-manga.png (164 KB, 200x337) Image search: [Google]
Naruko-manga.png
164 KB, 200x337
>>925421
I shit twice before a race
>>
>>925518

I've ridden Dura Ace from the mid 90s, modern Ultegra is way better by a longshot.
>>
>>925388
>>925404
>No space between the number and the unit symbol
Please re-read the SI Brochure.

>>925420
It's a multiple of a standard unit. Bless you for trying, my child.
>>
>>923379

can you explain further
>>
>>923377
The current incarnation of the Synapse has a seattube which splits into two parts at the bottom. I think the first anon has confused it with your older model. Either that or the curvy stays.
>>
>>925581
Should we state everything in m and fractions thereof?
>>
>>925610
Cannondale calls their fredtube "SERG"

>Synapse Endurance Race Geometry S.E.R.G. strikes the ideal balance between being a pure race poseur and upright freddy comfort.
>>
>>925615
Goodness, no: you should use an SI unit of the same dimension as the quantity you wish to express or multiples and sub-multiples thereof, as the magnitude of the expression dictates.
>>
>>923372
My friend sold me a bike with sora hoods when before i mostly rode Tekpro hoods, and i really love how platformy they are

i also got a left 105 lever that can't shift ( I run 1x8 anyway) for my fixie. how hard will it be to get another 105 lever? Or will a tekpro be just as good?
>>
File: persona-creator1.jpg (40 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
persona-creator1.jpg
40 KB, 320x240
>>925581
It's ALIVE!
>>
File: CoverImage_03.jpg (242 KB, 360x600) Image search: [Google]
CoverImage_03.jpg
242 KB, 360x600
>>925617

> S.P.E.R.G.
>>
>>925378
>Not only do you gloss over the actual better shifting and ergonomics of Ultegra, you also give retarded advice "if you want to save weight get a garbon fork/seatpost" which are the two least likely parts to save any considerable weight.

You're an idiot. I've made excel tables, weighed parts, done all the math.

You can shave more grams PER DOLLAR replacing a Cannondale Slice fork with a full carbon fork from ebay than any other part.

Also, idiot, I mentioned seatpost carbon as well, which you ignored and then repeated.

You don't know shit.

> 1. Wheels and frame

lol frame instead of fork = idiot. Per dollar = fail logic

> 2. Seatpost/saddle/bars/stem

Stem he says. lol. (uno on ebay best deal for grams/dollar though)

Saddle... $$$$$$$

Bars = foolish upgrade, minimal grams if it's already alu. big project vs. any other part = $$$$

> 3. Tires

As I stated in the original post that you shit on

> 4. Gruppo

Per dollar = mega wrong but you're not even man enough to name the part of the gruppo so you're double retard wrong

> 5. Pedals/bottle cage/shoes/socks/jersey/helmet/skewers/chain/bar tape

SOCKS. TAPE. LOLOLOLOLOL

You've been reported
>>
File: s-l400.jpg (12 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
s-l400.jpg
12 KB, 400x400
do you even weightweenies.starbike.com you fucking poser?

pic related

100g shaved for $12 = unbeatable shavez
>>
>>925475
Depends on the bike. Difference between 105 and ultegra on a model bike is usually a few hundred dollars, and depending on the brand for that youll also get a better set of wheels and some component changes.
So no, it really isnt cheaper to hack together your own upgrades. Also as demonstrated here, retards who are doing babbys first bike upgrades tend to go for the worst things first, like carbon bars or a lighter stem whilst still rocking a 2kg wheelset. I did it when i was new, you probably did it too, by the sounds of things half this thread still does
>>
>>925734
I'm not advocating weight weenieism, but simple crabbon parts like that are pretty cheap to come by, you can get brand-name crabbon 2 weeks past its expiration date for pennies on the dollar.

Good wheelsets are not cheap, some guy who bought a $1200 cannondale/trek/etc fitted with alexrims is going to blanch at the cost of a set of high end racing wheels
>>
File: s2-2015-pair.jpg (80 KB, 700x700) Image search: [Google]
s2-2015-pair.jpg
80 KB, 700x700
>>925742

Check out Soul rims

They seem like great quality for the low price, but the comfort of knowing you're not riding chinese carbon ebay suicide wheels

http://bikesoul.com/

S2.0

> $610 shipped
> 1.290kg pair
>>
>>925734
>Difference between 105 and ultegra on a model bike is usually a few hundred dollars
And this was relevant how, when you've already got either? The shop is not buying back the 105 bike for full retail value, baka desu. Your options are now either upgrade what you have, or throw it away and spend many times more replacing it with something that is only marinally better. Even Ultegra bikes come with heavy, shitty wheels, because that's how that work.

Also...
>mfv i have no face to show how smug I am about the Pancetti SL23 wheels i built and saved 10hg.
I double dare you to find a bike that isn't less expensive to perform that upgrade on, than buying a high enough level that you get nice wheels.
>>
>>925757
Even the highest-end bikes seem to come with shitty wheels, although that makes some sense because at that point most people will already have a collection of their favorite wheels.
>>
>>925888
Exactloy. It's just like how good bikes comes with shitty cage pedals, or even none at all. There's a silent agreement between manufacturers that shit riders will have strong opinions on, like wheels, pedal/shoe systems, to a lesser extent saddles and seatposts, aren't put any more money into than to cover the basic need. People will have their own wheels, their own favourite cleat system, their own favourite saddle and fancy flexy expensive seatpost.
>>
Bumph
Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.