[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Chain Thread! (Bike Chain General I suppose?)
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /n/ - Transportation

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 6
File: 344066.jpg (211 KB, 1852x1199) Image search: [Google]
344066.jpg
211 KB, 1852x1199
How boring and autismal can it get?!
Well This autismal and boring!

Is it worth choosing a brand over another?
Stick to the "big names"(shimano,SRAM,Campagolo) or maybe go to 3rd party brands?(Sunrace,BBB,FSA etc.)
What are your experiences?
What do you use to determine if your chain is worn out and needs replacing?
Lubes?Wax?Even grease?!
Your mileage?
Do (full)chainguards work on your 1/8' chains?

TELL US!
>>
>>922770
SRAM chains are particularly greasy, and require cleaning out of the box. This is because some of their low end chains aren't properly plated, and get surface rust very easily, which can lead to increased wear. Either rust dust or grime can increase wear, so I'd advise against the low end chains. Nothing wrong with higher end SRAM chains though and they come with a quick link.

You should never buy a Campy chain. By all means, they're excellent chains, some people are able to get extremely long lives out of a Campy chain. But they're expensive and may require a special expensive tool to install, and they're really just not worth it.

There's nothing wrong with a Shimano chain. They just don't come with a quick link.

KMC makes good reliable chains that come with quick links. They also make some lightweight and colored chains for bling. KMC chains are in no way inferior chains, although some may argue the dedicated chain might be designed to work better with matching components. They also OEM some of the chains marketed by other brands.

Sunrace/BBB are cheap shit with mystery quality, and neither brand really strives to ensure quality or get you the best product. They just give you cheap shit at the lowest price. Like many importer brands, it can be hit and miss depending on the specific item, or even batch.

FSA doesn't really make chains. I'm pretty sure they either subcontract with KMC or YBN.
>>
>>922773
b-but BBB is super expensive
It must be good then right?
Right????
>>
File: 1455054784939.jpg (454 KB, 1280x1197) Image search: [Google]
1455054784939.jpg
454 KB, 1280x1197
>>922773
>YBN
Wut

Are you also implying all cheap chains r shit?
>>
>>>922777
>>
>>922775
I can't even find a BBB chain, but from the BBB branded shit I've bought in the past, it's bascially like Origin8 type econo stuff.

>>922776
No, I'm implying no-name brand chains, such as those under importer brands, are hit and miss.

YBN is a company that produces similar stock to KMC, but is a different company.

>>922777
Congrats for quoting yourself on a slow board.

>>922784
>>
>>922784
>Origin8 type econo stuff.
HEHH???><><>?

>>>922786
Thx btw,its the only action I get ?:(
>>
>>922787
fuck...
>>
File: izsupvchain.jpg (76 KB, 470x470) Image search: [Google]
izsupvchain.jpg
76 KB, 470x470
Oh, hi guys
>>
>>922792
Kimoooooo Yowaizumi
>>
>>922792
Sugoi meme senpai!
>>
I have a question:

I've been meaning to set up my rigid MTB as a 3x1, that is, using the three chainrings, and a single speed freewheel on the back, plus a derailleur as a chain tensioner. Problem is, SS freewheels require a thicker chain, but said chain probably won't fit on a regular rear derailleur. What should I do?
>>
File: 20160210_202001-1.jpg (3 MB, 2054x2435) Image search: [Google]
20160210_202001-1.jpg
3 MB, 2054x2435
>>922812
Why not 1x? I more or less just took the outer and inner rings off my triple crankset
>>
>>922812
There are multispeed chain singlespeed freewheels.
I assume you're just ghetto-rigging a bike for cheap, there's no advantage to that setup.
>>
>>922830
I just want to be a special snowflake. Plus I don't have a rear shifter, only front.
>>922831
I am indeed. Are multispeed chain SS freewheels more expensive? I don't think I've ever seen one.
>>
>>922833
No, they're pretty normal really.
>>
>>922812
>>922833
Now that I think about it, SS freewheels are usually for singlespeed wheels, aren't they?
Unless you have a single speed rear wheel already, wouldn't putting a SS freewheel on a hub designed for muktispeed freewheels make the chainline a bit far inboard? I am imagining a pretty bad chainline in the big ring
>>
>>922838
I'll ask at the local shops, thanx

Or maybe I'll just buy a 7 speed freewheel and run it SS until I can afford a shifter
>>
File: 1445195078167.gif (3 MB, 190x200) Image search: [Google]
1445195078167.gif
3 MB, 190x200
>>922798
>>922811
>>
>>922776
>skinny suit
>skinny tie
>"timeless elegance"
/fa/ pls go
>>
>>922839

I currently run a singlespeed ghetto setup with the chain on the big ring and the third smallest cog on the rear, and the chainline is pretty decent, hardly ever had a chain drop.
>>
>>922830
I like captain seatpost's bike behind yours
>>
names: i go with KMC, good price, never had an issue with the chain, seems to wear at a good rate
wear: buy a chain wear indicator ($10 amazon) and use it every time you do a major tune-up
i use a cheap lube when things start to make a little noise
chain probably lasts 1500-2500 mi if lubed and cleaned periodically
no chain guard roadfag
>>
SRAM is tacky as fuck out of the box. Everything sticks to it but Grandmaster Sheldon Brown says not to remove factory grease until really necessary.

KMC works well for the price.
>>
Throwing in yet another voucher for KMC chains, I think all my bikes are running one now.
>>
>>922935
>>922939
The problem is SRAM/Shimano 11-speed chains have come down in price with 105/Rival lines. KMC chains have not seen a similar reduction in price.
>>
>>922941
I guess I wouldn't know without owning any 11 speed components.
>>
Preface: only really have experience with 8 and 9 speed chains.

>>922773
>>922935
Yep, agreed that SRAM chains are tacky as fuuuuck out of the package. If you ride in wet/damp conditions, it's great grease, and I'd leave it on. If you ride in dry and dusty conditions, it's terrible - picks up gunk fast.

Cheaper SRAM chains have really poor plating and rust surprisingly quickly. The higher end ones are ok.

My beater has a PG-890 chain, 3 winters in it has a fair amount of surface rust. Admittedly, I haven't been the best about lubing it. Extremely little chain stretch. My cross bike has had a PG-991 on it for the past year; I have been much more diligent about lubing, and it looks (and feels) like new.

I haven't used a Shimano chain in a while. One of my mountain bikes had a CN-7701 for a while. IIRC it seemed to have good plating (didn't rust), but the rollers wore quickly and thus it stretched pretty fast.

Both of mountain bikes currently have KMC X9EPT chains on them. They seem bombproof.
>>
>>922875
That is because your chain sits outboard enough from the hub because it is on a multi-speed freewheel. A single speed freewheel acts like it puts the chain closer to the largest or second-largest cog.

From Sheldon Brown on single speeds:
>The cheapest way to convert a multi-speed bicycle into a singlespeed is to use the original rear hub, assuming that it is made for a conventional threaded freewheel. A single BMX freewheel will thread right on. Unfortunately, the chainline is likely to only work with your granny gear unless you re-space the rear axle and re-dish the wheel.
>>
KMC makes Shimano chains, and I don't think there's much difference between them. I've snapped a couple over the years and god knows how many miles.

SRAM chains are made by the company formerly known as Sedis, which SRAM got when they bought Sachs. Sedis used to be good. Now...well, after I snapped three PC971s in a month some years back, I'd rather avoid anything with a SRAM label on it. Maybe they all came from a batch with bad metallurgy, but whatever.

Campy chains are excellent, and I've never snapped one. I just replace them when I replace the cassette. When you install one you should use a KMC link to make life easier. Shame you can't use Campy chains with a non-Campy drivetrain, though.

Never used Wipperman.
>>
>>922974
>KMC makes Shimano chains
They make some Shimano chains. DA and Ultegra chains that say made in Japan are made by Shimano. Shimano still does the R&D and initial development of chains for their new groupsets. They only turn to KMC to help deal with some of their mass production.

>Shame you can't use Campy chains with a non-Campy drivetrain, though.
That was mostly the older 10 speed chains which were wider than the Shimano 10 speed chains, because the cassette was wider.
>>
>>922792
Bought a silver izumi track chain from cnc. It's a good chain.
>>
What about nickel plating, is worth paying for? Half or full?

I'm thinking about KMC X8.93 or Wippermann, but they are only half plated, X8.99 is full nickel plated but more expensive.

Not going to bother with Shimano because they don't come with the Quicklink or whatever they call theirs
>>
>>922974
>I snapped three PC971s in a month some years back,
Interesting,where did they snap?Like the outer plates cracked?
Pins came undone?
>>
>>923032
Technically the nickle should reduce galling
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galling

But other than that I dont think any coating changes the performance greatly.

The more expensive chains also might consist of a better alloy and a better and/or lighter weight.

Nowadays I just buy grey chains (9.73 and 10.73 by KMC)
>>
>>923112
Ah it kind of makes sense why they put it only on the outer links. Thanks for the insight, I'll just go for the cheaper chain.
>>
>>923115
>>923112
Ir prevents rust
>>
I don't care for quicklinks. Have tried and they are more fiddly to use than just breaking chain/reconnecting with chain tool.
>>
>>923289
Quicklinks are ore reliable than a link you opened and closed a million times. A chain will never fail at a quick link.
>>
>>923289
Are you talking about single speed master links or quick links like on a multi speed chain?
>>
>>923289
You just gotta get used to it. I used to feel the same way, now I realize I was being a luddite.
>>
>>922964

Well that's what the RD is for (besides chain tensioning). Plus I can always slap a spacer or two between the hub and the SS freewheel
>>
Used shimano sram and kmc.
Neither is shit really, I don't see any point in this thread.
>>
>>923122
It does A fucking awful job at it though.
Just use luberl00b to prevent rust.
Like Chain Rust is a big problem on bike riders (NOT CYCLISTS) anyway.
Nickle or not,it;ll fuck up if one doesn't care about his/her chain
>>
>>923461
You what
>>
>>922770
shimano chains shift the best with shimano hardware
it's magic.
the lack of quick link really bothers some people, but honestly you should be try to take your chain off unless you're replacing it.
>>
>>923488
Shimano has the highest risk of faulty installation with their one time use pins that you have to make sure are pressed in correctly and snap off the excess. It's also more inconvenient.
>>
>>922830
running a normal fucking drivetrain dipshit.
>>
>>923490
>faulty installation
what are you retarded?
>>
>>923492
No, but one time I saw a pictures of a chain about to break because one of the plates was coming lose in a pybt. It's also more annoying to have to use one time use pins, and you can't do chain rotations with it.
>>
>>923032
I went with the X8.93 in the end, it was under 10€.
>>923122
Yeah I've never had a rusted chain, they always wear out first I guess.
Do you just keep your bike in the sea and never ride it?
>>
>>923979
>buys plated chain
>ive never had a chain rust
I wonder why.
>>
>>923980
I've had mostly chinese no-name garbage that came stock on the bikes, thought I'd get a nice chain for once. I'm mostly hoping this one doesn't wear out so fast.
>>
>>923980
because he didn't buy SRAM
>>
>>923983
If it's an 8-speed bike it probably didn't come with a no-name chain. Even a GMC Denali comes with a low end KMC chain. Just because you assume something to be so doesn't make it true.

>>923986
Well if you leave it encrusted with SRAM grease, it will just get grimy instead of rusty. I'm never buying a PC-930 or PC-830 again.
>>
>>923989
You are right that my current bike had a KMC Z-series chain when new. My previous bikes didn't.
"Just because you assume something to be so doesn't make it true."

btw. I'm getting a new chain because I'm changing the gearing and the current chain is too short, the stock chain has maybe 100km on it..
>>
>>924003
>My previous bikes didn't.
Sure m80. There's not that many no-name chain manufacturers.
>>
>>923989
I clean new chains anyway regardless of brand and lubrication they come with:)
Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.