[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Small boat caught in a storm
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /n/ - Transportation

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 16
File: boat-in-storm.jpg (215 KB, 1600x1306) Image search: [Google]
boat-in-storm.jpg
215 KB, 1600x1306
How do people who row across seas or oceans survive in massive storms?

I've been fantasizing about going on a holiday with friends by rowing along Europe's coast, from the UK.

But I have no clue how anyone manages to travel in small vessels and deal with storms. I've heard stories about people rowing across the Atlantic for 2 months and living through hurricanes. How? Is it enough to turn the bow to face the waves and hope for the best? I've also heard of cases where a single wave hitting the side of the boat flips it over. Is it just a game of chance?

How would an inflateable boat do in a storm? What about a small wooden dinghy? What if I take 2 or 3 inflateable boats and tie a wooden planck across them to create stability? Will that be enough to handle big waves?
>>
File: boat transatlantic rower.jpg (55 KB, 1100x587) Image search: [Google]
boat transatlantic rower.jpg
55 KB, 1100x587
Here is an example of a boat used for transatlantic crossing.
>>
>>922637
You hear those stories about small boats surviving hurricanes because they're miracles.

Back before we had the technology we do now, it wasn't uncommon for sailors to leave port and never return. And that was with ships designed for the trips.
>>
>>922637
Rowing across the ocean is a big deal in and of itself. There is considerable amount of planning involved, not the least of which is weather forecasting. You're not going to be able to do much at all once the seas reach a certain state.

Around land especially, you'd have to be cautious of currents that would probably outpace a rower.

Typically the period of the waves increases along with the height, so you're not facing a wall of water, it's more of a gentle climb than you'd imagine.

Ship's liferafts are inflatable, so pretty well generally. An open dinghy not so much. It would highly depend on design of the boat and the sea state.

The plank idea is terrible, but I don't want to explain ship construction and stability.
>>
maybe sorta relevant in a cautionary way:

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2014/jun/21/sailing-into-hell-two-men-dingy-dangerous-journey
>>
File: subm.jpg (44 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
subm.jpg
44 KB, 640x360
1000 bike tubes,, woven into a flopy boat., Noway thats sinking!, old water bottles, with water.,
,,, drifting in the sargaso sea,, salvaging.
,selfSLAP! ,OP is staying close to shore., pull up most nights and have a bonfire.,,,
,,,,, ive Canoed open ocean,, gets tired fast., then fog., canoe starts feeling exposed~ JawsMusic~.
,,find, save, cardboard., get a gallon of Epoxy/catalyst.
>>
>>922763
autistic much?
>>
File: xxb 026.jpg (671 KB, 1609x2073) Image search: [Google]
xxb 026.jpg
671 KB, 1609x2073
>>922783
ifit helps!
,,surf rafts,, paddle boards,,, the BOOGY board<goodtimes!
, but my first "Ship?, 4x8 sheet of marine plywood,, drill holes and paint watertight.
,, Tie 6 cartire innertubes on the bottom,,, GLORY!,, drifting on the river.
>>
>>922783
He really is.
>>
>>922765
I've read this, it really put me off the idea. I did not even realise how dangerous the sea is to a tiny boat.

It's either go big and get classes, a good strong yacht and pay up all of it's upkeep costs or go home...

>>922783
>>922807
Are you telling me this guy spends his whole day posting like this on /n/ and other boards? Wtf?
>>
>>922783
>>922807
>>923079

Don't you guys talk shit on BaconRider. He's the face of /n/ and confirmed moot's favorite poster.
He's an inspiration to us all.
>>
>>923079
Yes, the autism is strong with this one.
>>
>>923087
>wears the mask
>face of /n/
>moot doesnt even own 4chan nerd
>>
>>923111
This
>>
File: Speck-map.png (26 KB, 790x496) Image search: [Google]
Speck-map.png
26 KB, 790x496
Oskar Speck

>Leaves Germany in 1932 on a folding kayak
>Decides to see the world
>Arrives in Australia in 1939 just as WWII starts
>Gets interned as an enemy foreigner
>>
>>923318
Jesus that's terrifying

>Go on a 7 year journey through the sea
>By the time you finish it your country has elected a radical party, started exterminating people en masse and will soon invade most of Europe.
>>
File: USAd.jpg (531 KB, 1126x742) Image search: [Google]
USAd.jpg
531 KB, 1126x742
>>923079
>how dangerous the sea is
railroad tracks are dangerous., have you ever put yourear on the rails,, and listened?
,, you let a Story scare you?, stupid folks!!,, Glory folks!,, whipme folks.
, then he didnt even sail back home,,,? Pffffft!
,,, Get, A, Boat!,, row a few miles., then tell me, how Baditis!
, CL and Inseam!
>>
There's some kinds of boats that can't turn over, they just get back up, life guards usually have those.

>>922638
Maybe this one is like that?
>>
>>923318
>>923465
On his arrival in Australia, shortly after the start of World War II, Speck was interned as an enemy foreigner. He remained in prisoner-of-war camps for the duration of the war. On release, Speck worked as an opal cutter at Lightning Ridge, before moving to Sydney and establishing a successful career as an opal merchant.[1][2] In later life he lived with his partner, Nancy Steel, in Killcare, New South Wales.[3]

He died at around 87-88 years of age. Didn't have too bad a life after all.
>>
File: dollapound.jpg (704 KB, 1437x1078) Image search: [Google]
dollapound.jpg
704 KB, 1437x1078
>>922637
was atime Men took tothe Sea!
,,now its all, GPS, LORAN messenger, EPIRBitch, RADAR,,, wide spectrum SONAR WIFI, CELLphone?!,
,, i missextants,,, the swirlingutt busting compass on a stormy night,,, it ,, just Keepswirling!!,, ooo DOGE> PUUUUUUKE!
, ifeel beter now., is that a lite??!
>>
File: homerock.jpg (3 MB, 2000x3008) Image search: [Google]
homerock.jpg
3 MB, 2000x3008
>>923512
simple FM radio tells all.
,,Majic, True M.,, see thearth from space?, dip your fingers in all the oceans?, warm?, cool?,, salty?
, boat materials,, ofiber Glass?, foam coreso no sinking?
,,, turn sunlight into POWER, freshwater,lites, muzac,, "Mom", cheap 5hp trolling motor??
,you get,,,, EVERYTHINGod!
,,, everthing, but heart.
>>
File: Doge.jpg (18 KB, 402x329) Image search: [Google]
Doge.jpg
18 KB, 402x329
>>923517
>butheart
itsall just gear.
,you, chose destiny,,for a while,,, tick, tock, tick...
>>
>>923512
getcha some of dat peanut sauce mix
>>
it's just won't shut up...
>>
File: boat transatlantic cabin.jpg (45 KB, 1100x304) Image search: [Google]
boat transatlantic cabin.jpg
45 KB, 1100x304
>>923479
Yep, the transatlantic rower has an airtight cabin which keeps it always upright, and stores water + heavy supplies at it's bottom giving it stability.

One case where it capsized happened because a massive, rogue wave hit it from starboard while the crew were changing shift and had the cabin door open, flooding it with water.

These cost well over $30,000 though, but it would be a dream to ride in them

>look at this comfy as fuck shit
>>
>>923482
Of course, being literally the only person in his entire POW camp.

How come he didn't return to Germany? Was he ashamed of it?
>>
>>923079
>Are you telling me this guy spends his whole day posting like this on /n/ and other boards?
No.
>>
File: relief.jpg (590 KB, 1589x785) Image search: [Google]
relief.jpg
590 KB, 1589x785
>>922783
aparently,, toomuch.
>>
>>923595
When he left in 1932 Germany was in a depression from WWI. If he returned after WWII he would be going back to the same problem.
>>
>>922637
I don't know either.

I work in Antarctica, and I've traveled the Drake Passage at least a dozen times, and even in a research vessel, that shit sucks so fucking much. It's the kind of water that even an old salt, seasoned captain starts getting sick in.

Down at Palmer, we would get people showing up in yachts during the summer, and they must have some great planning, because I know when you head through there in winter, that passage is horrible.
>>
>>923766
>In winter it's bad
>In summer it's better
Truly, a black art.
>>
>>923766
That's awesome. Are you a sailor or a scientist?

Share any cool pics from your expeditions?
>>
File: 1443549871433-2-pol.png (2 MB, 1575x1302) Image search: [Google]
1443549871433-2-pol.png
2 MB, 1575x1302
>>923465
>exterminating
>>
>>923595
>How come he didn't return to Germany?
After the war there wasn't all that much of a Germany to return to.
>>
>>923476
baconrider, i just want you to know that I'm glad you came to this world
>>
>>924784
I bet his parents are too
>>
>>925009
More than yours, I'd think.
>>
File: west.jpg (602 KB, 1434x1240) Image search: [Google]
west.jpg
602 KB, 1434x1240
>>924784
imso Gald,, you had me!,
Loveyour Planeto Death,,, ill have Fondeling memorys.
,,,,sosorry for leaveing the mess., The sociopathy,,, is STRONG!
>>
File: numnum.jpg (338 KB, 1579x869) Image search: [Google]
numnum.jpg
338 KB, 1579x869
>>924784
>>
>>922637
sacrifice the younger ones to odin and hope for the best usually
>>
>>926156
>bacon rider banned for shitposting
Yeah, that sounds about right.
>>
File: noplanet.jpg (2 MB, 2277x1217) Image search: [Google]
noplanet.jpg
2 MB, 2277x1217
>>
File: fath.jpg (454 KB, 1561x855) Image search: [Google]
fath.jpg
454 KB, 1561x855
>>922783
>>926158
,,,,, serious Chit!
Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 16

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.