[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What city still has a high amount of fixed gear/tarck bike hipsters?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /n/ - Transportation

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 5
File: Philthybutwudnotpullout.jpg (62 KB, 500x750) Image search: [Google]
Philthybutwudnotpullout.jpg
62 KB, 500x750
What city still has a high amount of fixed gear/tarck bike hipsters? Im just curious.
>>
Does it matter?
>>
Not SF, most of the hipsters here have gone to adventure bikes, and Portland looked to be going that way last time I was there. Your best bet would probably be a 3rd rate hipster city like Ft Collins CO, SLC, or Columbus OH
>>
>>922132
your pic is definitely related. Outside of schuykill banks (freds) there are probably 75% single/fixed gears on the streets.
>>
File: urbanadventure.png (486 KB, 966x400) Image search: [Google]
urbanadventure.png
486 KB, 966x400
>>922141
>most of the hipsters here have gone to adventure bikes

This. If someone rides a fixie it's most likely to be a leader or some other cheapish brand that doesn't have any history of making serious bicycles. Imo the people who rode fixies when it was still a hipster thing were riding 30-year-old track bikes and now the thing is adventure bikes with gears.
>>
What the fuck is an adventure bike
>>
>>922132
Whichever city is flat and full of regular hipsters. Hilly cities condition's are too harsh for fixies to survive.
>>
>>922166
An adventure bike is to a cyclocross bike as an endurance road bike is to a pure race bike.

As far as I know. They often have provision for racks and things too.
>>
>>922178
So it's a hybrid with drop bars?
>>
>>922185
I guess that's another way to put it.

Hybrids often have suspension though, don't they? Aside from the Slate it's not really a thing on adventure bikes.
>>
>>922132

In Philly the scales have tipped and now only lame poor people and bros ride SS/Fixed. Just an observation senpai
>>
>>922185

I think fat tires with eyelets for a rack key for an "adventure bike"

Also know as "all road" and similar to a "gravel bike" and sorta like those "monster cross" bikes that were a thing for a year

Trends are stupid, but the joy of a fat-tire, drop-bar, fendered, rear-racked bike on a long ride is undeniably the best for a long casual ride over mixed terrain
>>
>>922165

That Civia actually looks cool.

Too bad they've shifted business to selling total shit "vintage" $600 bikes

http://civiacycles.com/bikes/
>>
New York City
>>
File: hybrids.jpg (53 KB, 905x398) Image search: [Google]
hybrids.jpg
53 KB, 905x398
>>922186
Hybrid is an extremely broad term. Pretty top-tier commuter bikes can be called hybrids. So can shit-tier beach cruisers.
>>
You guys mean a randonneur bike
>>
Minneapolis/St. Paul has a shit ton of them.
>>
>>922132

Montreal...
>>
>>922166
adventure bikes are bikes with relaxed geo and ability to fit wide tires

basically like a commuter with drop bars to make it look racy

they are fun and useful

I haven't lived in SF in 3 years but when I was there it was lots of fixed gears

I can't imagine those have been traded to adventure bike though because most people used fixed gears because they're cheap to build and theres lots of bike theft there

adventure bikes are expensive
>>
>>922185
Not quite because adventure bikes usually have full road group sets, which hybrids usually don't.
>>
>>922132
Bleugh, why are her arms so saggy? She's pretty fat I guess, yeah?
>>
Detroit is the place that hipsters are now flocking to. Two people I rode pedi cab with opened a shop there, and now they get rides together every week that include atleast 100+ hipsters
>>
>>923171
And Montreal is preferred hilly, I don't get why
>>
>>922132
>>922141
can confirm that SLC has a lot of tarck bicycle, but those are mostly ridden by bros. Most of the hipsters I see ride more sensible bikes
>>
File: 1434586572103.gif (1 MB, 400x206) Image search: [Google]
1434586572103.gif
1 MB, 400x206
>>922141
>3rd rate hipster city
>>
Confirmed Columbus, Ohio for literal shitstain of ironic ironic-vegan-meatloaf-eating fiix'tards due to the mediocre technical college "art school" there.
>>
>>922132
I've see a fair few here in Seattle. Though I can't understand why. So many hills here I'll take my ten speed thanks.
>>
Well i think its fair to say the guys that are still riding fixed actually enjoy riding and aren't as bad as the cancer that was the fixie epidemic of kids of a few years ago.. its died down and you barely see people still riding. and I'm in the bay area.
>>
File: 16037856996_52c3ff2b61_b.jpg (244 KB, 1024x678) Image search: [Google]
16037856996_52c3ff2b61_b.jpg
244 KB, 1024x678
>>922504

In some ways, modern "adventure" bikes are what hybrids should have been. Fat tires and comfy geometry from MTB, drop bars / fenders / racks / 700c from Road
>>
How many years before I have to sell my cx bike with discs, fenders, and a rack because it's uncool and all the cycling nazis foam at the mouth with rage at me? I really like this bike.
>>
>>926606
Spot the adventure bike hipster who can't admit he bought a hybrid
>>
>implying any bike that combines aspects of other bikes isn't a "hybrid"
>implying you have to have an "adventure" bike to have an adventure
>implying road bikes can't handle gravel
>implying beach cruisers are good at riding on sand
>implying anyone actually rides rando with a randoneur
>implying fixies have to be ridden on the track

any other gross generalizations that I missed?
you faggots don't understand that it's not what you ride, but how hard you ride.
>>
>>926739

> mid fork eyelets
> space for 2.2 29ers
> better geometry
> bike in picture doesnt have drop bar but comes with one stock
> 1x
> nice disc brakes

Yeah man it's just like that rigid 90s MTB
>>
>>926763
>mid fork eyelets, but no hourglass seat stay eyelets
>wide knobbies on hardpacked dirt
>subjective geometry
>casual handlebars
>1x
>disc brakes
>suspension seat post
>racing saddle
>computer
>unicrown fork
>2 feet of head tube

yeah, it's just like a rigid 90s MTB but worse in every way.
>>
>>926765
not to mention that it's covered in SRAM
>>
>>922141
Born and raised in portland. Moved to SLC 3 years ago. I return to portland often for family (in slc for school) and can absolutely confirm.
>>
Vancouver, BC Canada
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.