[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Public Transportation in LA
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /n/ - Transportation

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 7
File: LAvsWien.png (804 KB, 705x875) Image search: [Google]
LAvsWien.png
804 KB, 705x875
How do we fix LA's public transportation?
>>
Problems I observed:

1. Very little public transportation infrastructure for such a big city
2. Redundancy: a lot of the routes run in the same direction, as opposed to going in different directions to cover more area
3. Extension plans "derailed" by big car corporations on a daily basis
>>
>>918529
>comparing a country to a continent

lel

Also LA has been built around automobiles since the 1920s. Nearly every suburb in the county since the 1920s has been built with automobile transportation in mind. It's not like you can go back to the Red Car days of the 1900s in any meaningful way.
>>
>>918537
> comparing a country to a continent

What?
>>
>>918545
Look at OP's pic.
>>
>>918547
Wien and LA are both cities, anon. And I'm OP
>>
>>918548
If you're referring to US and Europe that's irrelevant
>>
>>918537
riiight. Beijing was built the same, with only one line of subway til 1980 and two lines til 2004/5 yet now it's the most used system in the world with hundreds of kilometers lenghs in an aera roughly the same as LA.

you can't always hide behind excuses senpai.
>>
>>918551
Beijing also has some of the worst air pollution in the world. Same with Mexico City. They also have a subway. LA also has a subway. You're comparing apples to oranges tbqh.
>>
>>918559
You missed the point by a mile. Also, what in the world is pollution doing in the ability to build a fucking subway?

My point is yes, even in a road designed city you can still be able to go back to a public transport heavy city in a meaningful way.
>>
>>918529
Add more light rail lines :^)
>>
The only American cities capable of being saved have had their sprawl restrained by coastlines. LA is beyond salvation.
>>
File: UshijimamachiIntersection1.jpg (73 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
UshijimamachiIntersection1.jpg
73 KB, 640x480
>>918529
Plan A: turn some of the roads into tram lines
Plan B: forget about it, the hand of God will destroy LA with an huge earthquake soon
>>
>>918529
It's in the process of undergoing massive expansion. What the fuck more do you want?
>>
>>918551
> Beijing
God awful example. They can literally do whatever they want with zero approval or compensation to affected property. Beijing's subway buildout is more similar to post-WWII European transit projects than it is to anything being done in the US.
>>
>>918701
> I have no fucking idea how earthquakes work
That's you.
>>
File: nuke.jpg (126 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
nuke.jpg
126 KB, 1920x1080
>>918529
>LA
Get rid of it and start from scratch
>>
Just drive around in cars until Venice (LA) becomes even more like real Venice (Italy). May not take this long.
>>
File: I_Approve_.gif (1 MB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
I_Approve_.gif
1 MB, 320x240
>>918537
>TFW West Covina where I live, has one of the worst commutes in the US.
>>
>>918529 (OP)

One day I took the blue line to downtown LA from Long Beach. On my trip I saw the following:

>three people rolling joints
>5 people selling sodas and candy on the train
>one crazy woman yelling at anyone who looked at her
>two guys playing loud ass music from their cell phones
>one guy who was eating a full KFC meal and washed it down with a pail of Dr Pepper
>FARE EVADERS EVERYWHERE

what didn't I see?
>a single, fucking LA county Sheriff's Deputy

What's one way to improve the rail lines we already have? Actually send deputies to keep an eye on things. Shit's gotten crazy in the past five years.
>>
>>918529
Earthquakes
>>
I live in Vienna and i thought about this.
Actually you don't fix LA's transportation problem.

The population density is far >>918551
to low, the commutes are to long. You could spend billions on Metro's and so on, but in the end it would be either too expensive or people would not use it.

Maybe if LA's population concentrates in some areas in the future... MAYBE then. But until then, LA is beyond salvation. sry...

>>918529
1. Bejing is populated more dense.
2. Beijing relied heavily on buses until they extendet the metro since ~15 yearss ago. But Bejing had a lot of public transportation before.
3. people are poor and can't afford cars - therefor a lot ride bikes.
4. people need to get through a lottery to win a car registration.
>>
>>919468
quotes got messed up.
well shit.
>>
>>919061
wtf west covina on 4chan?

where at? im next to azusa and cameron!
>>
>>919468
OP here. I've lived in Wien for almost a year before I came here... Such a nice city you got there man. I went to Donauinselfest and some other festivals. It was bomb
>>
I'm a transportation engineer who actually looked into this at some point in the past
The primary problem is that LA's public transit has been privatized by companies like Xerox, who subsequently ran it into the ground. Less public transportation means more money spent on private cars, gasoline, and all of the amenities that are included in owning a car and having to deal with traffic.
Public transportation is not an issue of a shitty transportation system, it's an issue of a shitty political system that's very close to the economic system
>>
>>919488
Too bad the fact is that the LA area's streetcars back in the day went under because they actually had to start paying for electricity.
>>
>>918730
you don't know anything about how beijing works, just google 'nail houses'

>>919468

>1. Bejing is populated more dense.

>2. Beijing relied heavily on buses until they extendet the metro since ~15 yearss ago. But Bejing had a lot of public transportation before.

Nope, the only few buses lines available were intercity lines, peoples relied on bikes

3. people are poor and can't afford cars - therefor a lot ride bikes.
this is so wrong, peoples in beijing are rich enough to get a car and your 4th point is the perfect exemple to illustrate it

4. people need to get through a lottery to win a car registration.
This is because like i said: peoples can afford cars, and 20 millions beijingers suddenly getting one not only would clog the current infrastructure for a long time but polllute the city even worse than what it is now.

t. ex beijinger
>>
>>919108
>>three people rolling joints
I wish it was possible to do that in public where I live.
>>5 people selling sodas and candy on the train
Don't buy from them. Hope they didn't harass you
>>one crazy woman yelling at anyone who looked at her
It happens.
>>two guys playing loud ass music from their cell phones
Ask those fucks to turn it off. They're probably underage and really afraid of you.
>>one guy who was eating a full KFC meal and washed it down with a pail of Dr Pepper
Is eating not allowed on the train?
>>FARE EVADERS EVERYWHERE
How could you tell?
>>
File: silly.jpg (104 KB, 243x393) Image search: [Google]
silly.jpg
104 KB, 243x393
>>919470
Do you really want to meet some Anon irl?
>>
Nothing beats the freedom a car gives you. Go wherever you want at whatever time you want. Public transportation is good if you stay local. But going long distance the freeway is great.
>>
glass the city and rebuild it under central planning instead of decentralized commercial interests. only way desu
>>
>>919546
>Ask those fucks to turn it off. They're probably underage and really afraid of you.

>Is eating not allowed on the train?

You've never seen the 'hood life have you. There's about 100 aggravated assaults on the blue line every year, not counting the stuff that doesn't get reported. They can't even keep people from getting stabbed, much less enforce the "no eating" thing.
>>
>LA

The only way to fix it is to flush it all away.

Learn to swim.
>>
>replace all the light rail lines with heavy rail
>do all the planned expansions
>extend red line to cover the area currently served by orange line BRT
>replace silver line BRT with heavy rail, have it share tracks with red/purple from union station to metro central, then with Expo up to Jefferson/USC
>expand existing lines
>build new lines
>expand new lines
>build more
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.